Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming

Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming

Wednesday, June 24th, 2020 6:16pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Rumors
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 26,151

So far this year is giving us an Arcee release in every line. We got one in Studio Series, Generations, MP and Cyberverse. So, with this new Transformers R.E.D. Series (see what they did there?), we just had to get another Arcee. And so that's what we'll get. Transformers fan LegoTFGuy used his Walmart scanner to see if they could find other listings under this new RED Series and found quite a few. Of course, we've seen Optimus Prime and Megatron, and we have further confirmation of the Soundwave we already had a listing of, but they found even more such as the afore mentionned Arcee, Bumblebee (Big surprise!) and Cheetor. They are all 19.87.

A few extra points, we did have a previous listing for a Generations Cheetor, so it is unclear if this is that same toy or not (the ID numbers are not the same). Also, the Arcee is listed as "Prime Arcee" and these are only inferred to be part of the RED series because they are bundled together in Walmart's system. Though Bumblebee does have the clear RED moniker. And Bumblebee being the same price means either they will be in scale and you are paying the same for half a figure OR he will also be 6 inches and scale will not be a factor in this line.

Transformers News: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming

Credit(s): LegoTFGuy who posted on the TFW2005 Boards

This article was last modified on Thursday, June 25th, 2020 12:57am CDT

Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069166)
Posted by Burn on June 24th, 2020 @ 6:19pm CDT
blackeyedprime wrote:How did they handle the Netflix stuff in Australia?

They (along with G1 mini-bot reissues) have started to appear in K-Marts over the last two weeks.
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069167)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on June 24th, 2020 @ 6:21pm CDT
So K-Mart actually kept its smeg together in Australia and didn't disintegrate?
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069169)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 24th, 2020 @ 6:28pm CDT
Wait...

PRIME Arcee?
Are we already getting out of the Sunbow bubble, or I'm just hoping for things?
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069171)
Posted by Burn on June 24th, 2020 @ 6:36pm CDT
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:So K-Mart actually kept its smeg together in Australia and didn't disintegrate?

Yeah, K-Mart is going strong here (it's not owned by K-Mart US) but it came at the expense of Target though (Wesfarmers own both K-Mart and Target).
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069172)
Posted by loof on June 24th, 2020 @ 6:41pm CDT
Ingenious how they've used OP's thigh detail as a joint!
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069173)
Posted by Emerje on June 24th, 2020 @ 6:43pm CDT
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
Black Hat wrote:If we get non-G1 figures out of this I might be interested. Though the lacking articulation (90 degree elbows belong in the past) kinda sucks.
They do have bicep swivels. And even on transforming figures 90 degree elbows remain the norm (at least for deluxes) except when more is required for transformation or a beast mode. It tends to require double-jointing, especially when dealing with blocky robot limbs.

It is a little strange that they went out of their way to give them double knees, but not double elbows when they're standard in this scale (unless a character has massive biceps). They've already managed to avoid an ab crunch joint, what's an extra elbow joint?

blackeyedprime wrote:Can guarantee a red series bumblebee will be the same price of prime/Meg too be it 6 inch or 2 inch. Though it will be interesting to see if they try to keep to scale with them or forget it.

It's the same with Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black so I expect that to be the case. Those lines are all about scale so I imagine this one will be as well. If Soundwave ends up the same size as Megatron then I'm instantly passing on this line, right now I'm on the fence. This is a 6" line, but that doesn't mean Optimus and Megatron have to be 6". Make Op and Megs 6.5", Soundwave and the Seekers 6", Irohide 5.5", Datsuns and other cars 5" and Bumblebee and the like 4". Just add enough accessories to offset the prices

I'm a little disappointed to see no mention of a BAF on this line considering they do huge ones for Marvel Legends and RED is a line that Hasbro can print money with if done right since they only have to pay production costs, no license fees. BAF Grimlock, BAF Sky Fire, BAF Autobot X, BAF Halonix Maximus (not to scale, or is it?) the sky's the limit!

The Australian Kmart separated from the US Kmart many years ago, before things started to really fall apart.

Emerje
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069179)
Posted by william-james88 on June 24th, 2020 @ 7:43pm CDT
Burn wrote:
blackeyedprime wrote:How did they handle the Netflix stuff in Australia?

I'm very happy to hear you are able to get those.
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069182)
Posted by Slashercon on June 24th, 2020 @ 8:35pm CDT
Sooo, anyone hoping for a Nightbird in this line?
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069185)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 24th, 2020 @ 9:03pm CDT
Slashercon wrote:Sooo, anyone hoping for a Nightbird in this line?

It would make a LOT of sense. A Nightbird with no random kibbles. Also, she's from Sunbow G1. There's no excuses.
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069197)
Posted by TulioDude on June 24th, 2020 @ 11:11pm CDT
This is an excellent opportunity to give us an show-accurate Armada Scavenger.

Day 177 of waiting for Transformers Armada Masterpiece news.
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069199)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on June 25th, 2020 @ 12:07am CDT
william-james88 wrote:[T]his new Transformers R.E.D. Series (see what they did there?)

No actually, I’m confused. Granted, I am kinda drunk. But I don’t get it.
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069200)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on June 25th, 2020 @ 12:26am CDT
It r wordplay. It's an acronym, but also a color. And makes the name similar to Star Wars: The Black Series.

I will say, these are definitely better than that junk with articulation no better than mid-90s PotF action figures.
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069219)
Posted by william-james88 on June 25th, 2020 @ 7:35am CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:

No actually, I’m confused. Granted, I am kinda drunk. But I don’t get it.

This is supposed to be the Transformers equivalent of the Black series, so they made up an acronym that would also be a colour.

So now we have the Star Wars Black series and the Transformers Red series.
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069220)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 25th, 2020 @ 7:36am CDT
Wonder what the GI Joe line would be to carry the theme on
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069222)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on June 25th, 2020 @ 8:06am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Wonder what the GI Joe line would be to carry the theme on

G.I. Joe Classified series is already a thing.

Okay so, even being kinda drunk, I DID understand everything there was to know about the R.E.D thing...am I the only one who thinks that name is kinda dumb?
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069224)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 25th, 2020 @ 8:18am CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:Wonder what the GI Joe line would be to carry the theme on

G.I. Joe Classified series is already a thing.

Come on, it's easy.

Robots Establish Dillydamdillydum.

Or something. :lol:
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069225)
Posted by Black Hat on June 25th, 2020 @ 8:48am CDT
Having thought on this, I can't help but wonder what the point of these is. They don't transform, which is fair enough, but they're not really any more articulated than their transforming counterparts (certainly not enough to justify not transforming), and barely more accurate. They aren't doing anything unusual with the designs to take advantage of not having to transform like the Furai Models did, or even going for IDW or other source material, it's just more Sunbow. They're clearly not aimed at kids so it's not even like they have the shampoo bottle excuse. Honestly, this seems like the most unnecessary thing Hasbro has done in a while.
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069237)
Posted by ScottyP on June 25th, 2020 @ 9:53am CDT
Edit: all this time typing and Black Hat makes the same point much more succinctly in the post just above this one, so maybe just read that instead of this wall of text :lol:

Rant incoming, though I prefer to think of it as "I've had time to think on this and my thoughts and feelings about it are complicated."

I had a think on what strikes me as so wrong, poor and stupid about what these are. Why do I feel that way? I'm staring at my nearly-finished Flame Toys Seekers right now, they don't bug me and the final product is basically the same, not to mention they cost twice as much! Tiny Titans didn't bother me and they're not even articulated. What the heck is making my brain sort of loathe the idea of these R.E.D. dudes? There are a few things that come into play, for me.

First up, I wanted to think about why other non-transforming products haven't really bothered me. For the most part, it's probably because these are licensed products, making them nearly objectively exist as supplements to the Hasbro Transformers line. Jada has made some downright cool die cast vehicles of Movie cast and G1 Optimus. Obviously these don't transform, but they provide alt modes of the real world vehicles with nice detail. Even then, some of them have the R.P.M. style robot sculpt on the bottom. Licensees such as 3A and the aforementioned Flame Toys have produced a great deal of "high end" non-transforming figures, and of course there are model kits like Kotobukiya's D-Style and again FT. Many of these offer something actually unique and serve markets that Hasbro doesn't seem interested in. 3A is implicitly niche considering the cost, and if you're like me and enjoy Gunpla, it's fun to have a Transformers option to mix up that hobby before building the 89,000th RX-78-2 variant. The list could go on here, with Funko's ReAction lineup just recently starting to introduce crappy 5 PoA G1 Transformers. I'm sure as a licensee they're super pleased to see licensor Hasbro themselves jumping into a similar space, but Funko at least gets to keep the Cool Hipster Garbage Product market.

For official products, non-transforming options have also been easy to look at as supplementary products, but more importantly these have been easy to view as specifically kid-friendly products that allow kids to play with Transformers in different ways or with other kids that are into different things. I mentioned R.P.M.s earlier as one example. I would have loved it if something similar existed when I was a kid. I loved Transformers and my older brother loved Hot Wheels/Matchbox/basically anything with four wheels. Since he was the older brother, I'd have no choice at times but to play along with whatever Hot Wheels thing he did. I'd always grab the lone Stunticon in the childhood collection (Wildrider, for the curious) but still be told plenty of times to stop transforming him into a robot at every chance, because robots didn't exist in Hot Wheels world, obviously. Before this anecdote rambles too much more, my point is that I can see a clear purpose in these kinds of kids toys.

Most of Hasbro's non-transforming kids toy options over the years provide this kind of clear purpose. Kreo is building blocks, Hero Mashers as a mix-and-match style thing to create whimsical nonsense combinations, Tiny Titans offered some pretty cool little RiD '15 trading cards on top of their trading figure appeal, the '07 Movie and RotF Robot Replicas went for the insane metal shrapnel detail look the characters had in the movies long before Movie Masterpiece existed as it does now - this could go on and there are many examples not listed here, but point's hopefully made. There's almost always something offered in non-transforming toys that wasn't available in the others that, while not usually something massively appealing to Transformers fans, at least provided a reason for their existence beyond "make more money if we can."

Next in my reasons for being oddly bothered by these toys is that they're yet another example of Transformers failing to expand itself by innovation, with the chasing of a trend being the chosen route instead. There's a lengthy, usually poor history of this going all the way back to Micro Masters (a rare case of not chasing a trend poorly, in my opinion), and yes, the infamous Action Masters. Transformers is late to the party again here making them feel like an uninvited guest for yet one more reason on top of possibly not belonging there in the first place. Late in fully embracing 80s nostalgia, late to the Netflix party, late to the blind-bag craze, late to toys-to-life (remember Angry Birds Transformers?), and by the time they're done being late to embracing 90s nostalgia the world will probably have moved on from it. Market saturation of these '6" scale figures' has to be approaching a tipping point.

Why would Hasbro want to inject Transformers into this segment of a segment of the toy market? Obviously, to make money of course, but I'd guess to appeal to collectors that don't currently buy Transformers. I think this misses a key point about why Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, whatever the MotU equivalent is called, and MMPR's Lightning collection are successful and why the similar new lines for G.I. Joe and Gundam make sense for those brands. When I think about Star Wars toys during the prequels/Clone Wars to pre-Sequels era or Power Rangers before Hasbro acquired the license, I think of gimmicky toys. Want a straight-up action figure of the Red Ranger without any frills, or an R2-D2 that isn't battery powered with lights, sounds, and Comm-Tech or whatever compatibility? Go online and hope there's a Figuarts or something because it probably wasn't on the shelf at any given time (note: I don't know if those examples are technically correct, so substitute some other popular character from those franchises if not for the sake of the thought exercise.) The important note here is that I don't collect those lines, but if I wanted some kind of base line, good quality figure from them not riddled with gimmicks, I know where to turn now despite being an outsider to collecting it.

Cyberverse is a good example of what I just mentioned within Transformers itself. How many here didn't collect anything from the line because everything was gimmick-ed up kid stuff? Probably a good number. How many of you have or have at least seriously considered a Deluxe Class Cyberverse toy? Probably a good percentage of that number. Do I need to spell out why that is? You know the Deluxe Class figures are base line, good quality, not gimmick-riddled entries for Cyberverse and that makes them more broadly appealing to collectors.

There was an important point at the end of the second-to-last paragraph above this one - knowing where to go to collect the occasional product from another line despite not being a regular purchaser of said products. That's a justification I can understand, but I'm not sure it works for Transformers. Ignoring vehicles (Star Wars, GI Joe) and Zords (MMPR), the heart of a Star Wars, GI Joe, Marvel, Power Rangers, or Masters of the Universe toy collection is figures of the characters. The current 6" lines for these are the product of a natural evolution over time of collector lines that have increasingly struck at the core of what these brands are. Many Darth Vader figures also include a helmet that can be removed because duh didn't you watch Return of the Jedi? Professor X figures would come with a wheelchair because of course they would (hey you - I know there are versions of the character that don't have it, it's just an example!) If they make a Shipwreck figure in Classified, I'd expect it would come with Polly even though the line isn't dedicated to the animals of GI Joe. Those things are a core, essential element of who those characters are so you assume and hope as an outsider to those hobbies that these basic elements are covered.

This R.E.D. series leaves behind a core, essential element of who and what the Transformers are - they transform. This separates them from the pack of other '6" scale' figures in what I think is an important way. To me, this makes them feel like they're appealing to a very limited audience. Are these the no-frills, good quality, not gimmick-laden go-to Transformers? No, of course not, they're all missing their T-Cogs! That's not a gimmick, it's literally part of what makes Transformers what it is. Perhaps the fact that it's launching as a retailer-exclusive speaks volumes about the actual broad appeal, though it's always possible Walmart specifically wanted something like this because parents bought a bunch of those $5 Titan Guardians, who knows. Assuming these were not shopped as an exclusive by Hasbro's sales agents - which is a big assumption, I know - we could maybe presume that Target, Amazon, Walgreens, Meijer, and everyone else big enough to matter also thought these were a poor idea with limited appeal.

Hasbro and Walmart are good at making money, so they must know something I don't. What I do know is that these don't appeal to me whatsoever as a Transformers fan, though they likely weren't meant to. The weird personal wrinkle is that I'm the oddball that buys everything - those aforementioned R.P.M.s, Hero Mashers, and so on? I have them. Guess I'm not that guy anymore!

My opinion is that these will also be unappealing to people that are not already Transformers fans or collectors either, and time will tell if I'm right or not. It's probably 50/50.

There's a time and place for non-transforming figures in Transformers toys, and it's the niche of comic and TV characters that never had an alt mode to begin with. From all known information, this line is not that and won't be that - but I reserve the right to no longer agree with my own opinions from this post if it becomes that.

tl;dr better dead than R.E.D. or something
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069240)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 25th, 2020 @ 10:03am CDT
Re: Transformers RED Series Arcee, Bumblebee, Soundwave and Cheetor Possibly Coming (2069242)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 25th, 2020 @ 10:07am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:TlDr, there's TONS of non-transforming characters in the TF universe. Humans, monsters, and even some robots. Why not make those instead of the same 5 characters over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over,............... .
Because retailers want the big name characters who keep bringing in the big ones.

Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #254 - Redlining Sixth
"Redlining Sixth"
Posted: Sunday, July 5th, 2020

Buy "Transformers POTP Power Of The Primes PP-43 Throne Optimal Optimus Primal MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Camshaft, Bombshell, Ripper Snapper, & Cosmos Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Selects Leader Galactic Man Shockwave 2019 SDCC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Figure  Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Unicron Armada By Hasbro New Sealed HTF" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Piggy coin Bank Large! VERY RARE G1" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro 2009 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Constructicons lot Devastator" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Bumblebee and Doc Greene" on EBAY