Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety)

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety)

Sunday, March 7th, 2010 4:27pm CST

Categories: Movie Related News, Event News, People News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Delicon   Views: 40,252

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The Hollywood award season is in full swing with the Academy Awards taking place tonight. Despite being the biggest box office grossing movie in recent years this side of Avatar, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is only up for one Oscar, in the less than exciting "Sound Mixing" category. However, ROTF already "won" a few other awards this weekend. Of course, the awards are not Oscars, but instead "Razzies", courtesy of last night's Golden Raspberry Awards. Here's the scoop, as told by the AP.

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" was picked as last year's worst picture and won two other Razzies, worst director for Michael Bay and worst screenplay for Ehren Kruger, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman.

Bay and his team probably will not lose any asleep over it. Though reviled by critics, "Transformers" took in $402.1 million domestically, No. 2 on the 2009 box-office chart behind "Avatar."


In case you were wondering, here's the full list of winners.

Worst Picture of 2009:
Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen


Worst Actress of 2009:
Sandra Bullock
All About Steve

Worst Actor(s) of 2009:
All Three Jonas Brothers
JONAS BROTHERS: THE 3-D CONCERT EXPERIENCE

Worst Screen Couple:
Sandra Bullock & Bradley Cooper
ALL ABOUT STEVE

Worst Supporting Actress:
Sienna Miller
G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA

Worst Supporting Actor:
Billy Ray Cyrus
HANNAH MONTANA: THE MOVIE

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel
(Combined Category for 2009):
Land of The Lost
(UNIVERSAL PICTURES)

Worst Director:
Michael Bay
TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN


Worst Screenplay:
Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen
WRITTEN BY EHREN KRUGER & ROBERTO ORCI & ALEX KURTZMAN,
BASED ON HASBRO’S TRANSFORMERS ACTION FIGURES


Special 30th RAZZIE®-versary Awardz
Worst Picture of the Decade:
Battlefield Earth
NOMINATED FOR 10 RAZZIES® / “WINNER” OF 8
(INCLUDING WORST DRAMA OF OUR FIRST 25 YRS)

Worst Actor of the Decade:
Eddie Murphy
NOMINATED FOR 12 “ACHIEVEMENTS” / “WINNER” OF 3 RAZZIES®
ADVENTURES OF PLUTO NASH, I SPY, IMAGINE THAT, MEET DAVE, NORBIT, SHOWTIME

Worst Actress of the Decade:
Paris Hilton
NOMINATED FOR 5 “ACHIEVEMENTS,” “WINNER” OF 4 RAZZIES®
THE HOTTIE & THE NOTTIE, HOUSE OF WHACKS, REPO: THE GENETIC OPERA


To say Transformers fans have some pretty strong opinions about ROTF would be an understatement. Want to make your voice heard? Why not join the discussion in our Energon Pub forums?

Seibertron.com - The Ultimate Transformers Resource!

Credit(s): Golden Raspberry Awards, AP, Burn


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052628)
Posted by Redimus on March 7th, 2010 @ 4:43pm CST
Only 3?!?

Michael Bay will have to work even harder on TF3 if he's gonna achieve his lifetime ambition of producing a film worse than Battlefield Earth!


Koray wrote:hope micahel bay could figure it out why tf2 got those awards and how tf3 wont get those awards.

I wouldn't hold your breath. He's done a lot of films, and they've pretty much all stunk. TF3 will be every bit as awful as the first 2.
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052635)
Posted by HighPrime on March 7th, 2010 @ 5:08pm CST
I thought this movie was hands-down awesome. I liked it better than the first one, even. TF2 accomplished exactly what a movie (of this type) is supposed to do; entertain me. The only thing I could have done without is the low brow humor. I hope there's less of that in the next one.

Worst movie ever belongs to 'Ultra Violet' in my book. ;)
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052647)
Posted by Wheeljack35 on March 7th, 2010 @ 5:45pm CST
I know ROTF wasn't great but I thought GI Joe was worse
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052655)
Posted by Julie85 on March 7th, 2010 @ 6:19pm CST
To me this is sad, because I really love ROTF. I think it was an awesome movie and I don't understand why everyone hates it so much. The only thing I hated about the movie was all the sex talk; it is totally unnecessary and inappropriate for a movie intended to sell toys to kids.

I don't take these awards seriously anymore. It's all just opinion.
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052656)
Posted by Delicon on March 7th, 2010 @ 6:25pm CST
Wheeljack35 wrote:I know ROTF wasn't great but I thought GI Joe was worse


I agree, especially when it comes to just basically messing wth key elements of a franchise for no reason.
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052674)
Posted by prfctcellrulz on March 7th, 2010 @ 7:44pm CST
All the nay-sayers obviously didn't see the movie (I myself saw ROTF 3 TIMES in theaters! INCLUDING OPENING DAY!!!!) ROTF DESERVES TO WIN EVERY CATEGORY IT CAN BE NOMINATED FOR IN THE OSCARS, INCLUDING BEST PICTURE!!! TRANSFORMERS FOREVER!!!!!!
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052675)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on March 7th, 2010 @ 7:48pm CST
Oh come on Battlefield Earth wasnt that bad, ROTF was way worse than that. Id rather watch BE then sit through ROTF in its entirety. And no im not kidding.
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052687)
Posted by T-Macksimus on March 7th, 2010 @ 8:50pm CST
Movies, just like Television, Music or Art, are left to interpretation by each and every one of us AS INDIVIDUALS!! That someone has the audacity to make a blanket statement that "This Sucks...PERIOD" and then expect, or even worse, demand that the rest of us fall in line with that way of thinking is Bull****! The fact that there is so much in-fighting over the subject even within our own fan community is absolutely absurd. Every one of us got something different out of RotF and has varying degrees of like or dislike for the film but there is not a damn one of you who has the right to look me in the eye and say that it sucked and expect me to fall in line with your point of view on why it sucked. Not a single one of you!! I'm sorry it sucked for you but that is YOUR PROBLEM, not mine. You want to know something that TRULY, Universally sucks?? Shoving your opinion down my throat like it's gospel truth and then trying to remove my boot from your ass when I'm done with you. That is something everyone can agree would truly suck.

The Movie critics are full of crap and the rest of you heaping your tripe on the fandom like your points of view are so much better than the rest of us...well you people are as full of it as the Critics. We get it, YOU didn't like the movie, now S.T.F.U. and get over it!
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052689)
Posted by Badass Grimlock on March 7th, 2010 @ 9:13pm CST
I have to say I disagree with most critics on ROTF.

However, I take back what I said about Roger Ebert after all he's been through, fighting cancer, losing jaws. The poor guy can't even speak! That being said, I liked the movie, however, there were parts in it that simply were not appropriate for this genre. Doggy love. Devy balls (This hopefully will become a joke among the fandom). Fart jokes. Dickbot. DID. NOT. WORK. Like I said, I think that Ebert had a difficult time finding a plot. I think this is because of flailing robot pieces, explosions (100+) and the profanity and sexuality. Ebert is used to old movies. I disagree, but that's okay. To every man his own.
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052696)
Posted by Bowspearer on March 7th, 2010 @ 10:10pm CST
Julie85 wrote:To me this is sad, because I really love ROTF. I think it was an awesome movie and I don't understand why everyone hates it so much. The only thing I hated about the movie was all the sex talk; it is totally unnecessary and inappropriate for a movie intended to sell toys to kids.

I don't take these awards seriously anymore. It's all just opinion.


Opinion by people in the industry which does tend to make it somewhat more informed than a bunch of people who aren't.

what people are losing sight of here is that in terms of an actual deep, profound and truly epic movie, TF2 really does fail.

The problem with Michael Bay, as exemplified by the TFLAM franchise is that if he has a choice between toilet humour and explosions, or character/plot development and exposition, he'll practially always go for the former. That's not any kind of good movie, just a fun juvenile light and sound show.

Someone here tried to compare the work of Nickelback to Micheal Bay, but the difference is that for all the hatred, Nickelback's stuff does stand the test of time in at least some cases. Bay's stuff simply isn't that good.

The first movie fell short of what the franchise actually deserved in terms of quality storytelling, and the second one was even worse. Calling it the worst movie of 2009 isn't a bad call at all, in fact objectively it's pretty spot on.

Sure it took alot of money in the box office, but so what, The Jerry Springer Show gets plenty of ratings to the point where it's not going off the air any time soon either- that doesn't make it a quality TV show, just proves that there are alot of that type of demographic around.

IMHO, that was the point of this Rassie. The film was that bad and such a high money earner that someone needed to point out that takings do not make a quality film.

If it earned peanuts, in line with the quality of the film, then it probably would have gone under the radar- but with its budget, takings and what was actually delivered, what do people honestly expect here?
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052697)
Posted by Evil_the_Nub on March 7th, 2010 @ 10:12pm CST
Toruk Makto wrote:I have to say I disagree with most critics on ROTF.

However, I take back what I said about Roger Ebert after all he's been through, fighting cancer, losing jaws. The poor guy can't even speak! That being said, I liked the movie, however, there were parts in it that simply were not appropriate for this genre. Doggy love. Devy balls (This hopefully will become a joke among the fandom). Fart jokes. Dickbot. DID. NOT. WORK. Like I said, I think that Ebert had a difficult time finding a plot. I think this is because of flailing robot pieces, explosions (100+) and the profanity and sexuality. Ebert is used to old movies. I disagree, but that's okay. To every man his own.

He's entitled to his opinion same as everyone else. But he crossed the line when he said anyone who like it was unevolved. Which is an attitude I see a lot of people have.
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052752)
Posted by GEEWUN on March 8th, 2010 @ 7:30am CST
I think Megan Fox should have gotten worst actress... She is easy on the eyes, but not a very good actor. :KREMZEEK:
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1052874)
Posted by Windsweeper on March 8th, 2010 @ 2:43pm CST
Ok, when I first saw ROTF, I HATED it. While the robot designs of the first movie had me sceptical when I did see TF1, I loved it. Mr. Bay actually gave us a great movie. I actually liked Bad Boys and Armageddon(apart from that whiney song) and love the Rock, so I had wanted to give TF1 a chance. I'm delighted to say I was right.

Having seen the trailer for ROTF and seeing how great TF1 was, I had deliriously high hopes for TF2. That may have been a problem. After the first half hour, I was ready to leave. The extremely annoying Leo, the awful head designs of the Twins and the college/parents scenes, need I say more. I came out of the film fuming. My friends in work the next morning couldn't believe how much I hated it as they all know I'm a huge TF fan. I didn't even look at a TF website for the next week. I was ready to leave the franchise after quarter of a century.

Then, I read IDW's Defiance and Alliance and really enjoyed them, especially Defiance (loved Prowl). I started remembering the good parts of ROTF - Prime, Soundwave, Megatron, Arcee, Sideswipe, the various battle scenes. Then an old friend who I'd not seen in a couple years arranged to meet me. We said we'd go to the cinema and when I asked what she wanted to see, she said ROTF. I was sceptical but could not refuse her (believe me!). In we went and I was surprised to find I actually enjoyed it second time around because my expectations were lowered. I realised it was a lot better than I remembered. They actually made Simmons likeable. Plus Movie Op, Bumblebee and Arcee are likeable. I hated their G1 incarnations and by many standards, I could easily be seen as a Geewunner.

I ended up seeing it 5 times in the cinema. While I would never call it a great film, it's certainly not as bad as the media says.

The 3 problems with it as far as I can see are:

1. It didn't live up to the expectations set by the first film.

2. The humour doesn't work. Surprising, because I like the humour in a lot of Bay movies like Armaggedon, Bad Boys, the Rock and TF1(bring back Anthony Anderson for TF3 and drop Leo). Loved the parents in TF1 but they just didn't work in the context they were presented in in ROTF.

3. The Jetfire/Seeker backstory seems to be missing something.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hopefully TF3 will restore the faith of the disenfranchised. I actually liked the leaked treatment from a few months back.
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1053043)
Posted by Bowspearer on March 9th, 2010 @ 12:15am CST
Evil_the_Nub wrote:
Toruk Makto wrote:I have to say I disagree with most critics on ROTF.

However, I take back what I said about Roger Ebert after all he's been through, fighting cancer, losing jaws. The poor guy can't even speak! That being said, I liked the movie, however, there were parts in it that simply were not appropriate for this genre. Doggy love. Devy balls (This hopefully will become a joke among the fandom). Fart jokes. Dickbot. DID. NOT. WORK. Like I said, I think that Ebert had a difficult time finding a plot. I think this is because of flailing robot pieces, explosions (100+) and the profanity and sexuality. Ebert is used to old movies. I disagree, but that's okay. To every man his own.

He's entitled to his opinion same as everyone else. But he crossed the line when he said anyone who like it was unevolved. Which is an attitude I see a lot of people have.


Except that when you have quotes like this:

Liftgate wrote:I'm not going to go into this nonsense too much, but if you're a person who thinks this movie is the worst thing you've ever seen, then apparently you HAVN'T SEEN VERY MANY MOVIES.


Then it does give that argument some merit, especially when you have some people who liked it trying to defend it as either being anything other than mindless and culturally worthless entertainment or by claiming it was the best it could be.

If people love it, fine, but treating it as anything more than what it is, is like claiming that The Jerry Springer show is the height of deep and profound intellectual discourse.

Windsweeper wrote:Then, I read IDW's Defiance and Alliance and really enjoyed them, especially Defiance (loved Prowl). I started remembering the good parts of ROTF - Prime, Soundwave, Megatron, Arcee, Sideswipe, the various battle scenes. Then an old friend who I'd not seen in a couple years arranged to meet me. We said we'd go to the cinema and when I asked what she wanted to see, she said ROTF. I was sceptical but could not refuse her (believe me!). In we went and I was surprised to find I actually enjoyed it second time around because my expectations were lowered.(my emphasis)


2 things here- you're talking about IDW here and not Michael Bay. The work they did with the Dead-Furmanverse IMHO was what should have been the movie-verse plot or something incredibly similar. What IDW have done with their movie-verse books is essentially taken a crap sandwich and made it fairly tasty, but that doesn't change the fact that the movies epically fail.

Plus you said it yourself, to enjoy the movie, you had to lower your expectations. That says it all, and it's something that everyone keeps saying when trying to sway the haters- essentially "just go watch it- it's total crap, but you just have to subject yourself to watching total crap, even though you might have standards with what you watch".

Now if people want to watch Jerry Springer, then fine, some people like mindless and trashy entertainment (and with the toilet humour for the sake of toilet humour at the expense of characterisation, ROTF does fall into that category). Did it make alot of money sure, but Jerry Springer and Big Brother had long runs too- in the case of Jerry Springer, it's still going when it has no redeeming features. But at the same time, people need to stop pretend it's something it's not- namely a quality and critically acclaimed film, or this film is anything remotely close to the pinnacle of what the most critically acclaimed Transformers film possible would view like.
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1053455)
Posted by SEXFIGHTER on March 10th, 2010 @ 9:47am CST
Bottom line, for me is, why did we get Bay? Batman got Nolan, Superman got Singer, they all got directors with renowned flair and creativity, regardless of what you think of the product they delivered, they went for top drawer, and for me, it showed. Transformers, Bays had 2 attempts and he got worse by the 2nd. Transformers was ready and RIPE for the big screen, the world wanted it, so Bays mediocrity STILL made money. If something like UP can get so much praise and be so lovingly put together, why can't Transformers? What have we done wrong? The forest fight in ROTF WAS a good part, the 1st hour i wish i'd missed, and a lot of the rest. The script writers need to take some blame here too, thats if ROTF wasnt rewritten a zillion times and taken out of their hands. We want a film we can be proud of, not something with a few 'good bits' and the odd G1 reference to shut us up. Give us a film, show us some craft, no cheap gags and gimmicks.
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wins 3 awards (of the Razzie variety) (1053457)
Posted by Tekka on March 10th, 2010 @ 9:58am CST
Edit: Sorry. Posted in the wrong place.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Blades Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
Twincast / Podcast #267:
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers -  Siege (War for Cybertron) - Battle Masters - Blowpipe - Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Hasbro Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool Heroes Hoist the Tow Bot Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Fire House Station Playset. "Used"" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War for Cybertron Trilogy Battle Masters - Aimless - Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Copter Crane Blades" on EBAY
Buy "New! Super7 GOLD ARMOR BUMBLEBEE Transformers ReAction Series Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Hook and Ladder Heatwave" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege Generations War for Cybertron REFRAKTOR. Mild Box Wear" on EBAY