Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images

Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images

Wednesday, May 9th, 2018 4:33am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Rumors
Posted by: WreckerJack   Views: 38,091

We previously reported on Studio Series Optimus having two variants in sword colors, and now we have received word of an unmasked variant. This news was brought to our attention by our own westjames/notirish. The images below come from a Chinese website called Baidu where user Dill0315dill has posted them. A similar image of a figure that closeley resembles the one in the pictures below was found on Hasbro's Instagram page. From what we were able to figure out by translating some of the forum posts these figures were purchased in bulk from Taobao. Though it is still a bit of a mystery. Do you think we will find these variants outside of China? If you do happen upon one of these figures let us know!

Transformers News: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images

Credit(s): baidu.com

Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958392)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 9th, 2018 @ 5:47am CDT
The open face looks kinda off to me...
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958394)
Posted by Autobot Roadburn on May 9th, 2018 @ 5:51am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:The open face looks kinda off to me...

I agree. I think it's the way they painted his eyes, the parts they painted blue should be the silver sockets around the little blue lights. I think, anyway. Glad they painted his mouth though, it was a boring blue spot on that original Twitter image.

Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958396)
Posted by Emerje on May 9th, 2018 @ 6:07am CDT
He isn't just a head variant, the paint is different as well.

Red chest doors, no blue paint on the arms, and less blue paint on the hips (the red might be a little different, too). This isn't a simple head swap so it's probably supposed to represent an entirely different movie like the Starscream repaint will. The first wave figure is TF2 so maybe this one is TF1?

Emerje
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958397)
Posted by Autobot Roadburn on May 9th, 2018 @ 6:16am CDT
Emerje wrote:He isn't just a head variant, the paint is different as well.

Emerje

Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958398)
Posted by Emerje on May 9th, 2018 @ 6:34am CDT
Autobot Roadburn wrote:I think the battle mask Prime is just a custom, he doesn't normally have all that blue on his arms or chest doors.

Ah, that explains it. I don't like the red used on the figure so I never really spent a lot of time looking at the details. An easy pass with or without the mask.

Emerje
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958416)
Posted by President-prime on May 9th, 2018 @ 9:22am CDT
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958424)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on May 9th, 2018 @ 9:41am CDT
President-prime wrote:That’s weird. My version of Optimus is red chest with a face mask. You guys sure you didn’t switch the head swap deal?!!

As explained above, one of those is a custom. Maybe a note in the story would be a good idea since the head is the main point of interest?
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958425)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 9th, 2018 @ 9:42am CDT
Autobot Roadburn wrote:To be honest though I'll probably grab one of these guys if I see him. He looks alright, I love the mold already and I'm trying to go completist on the line as it is. Now if I can just modify the one I have to fold his backpack up like the masked Prime in the pictures I'll be all set.

Doesn't require any modding. Just alternate transformation. Just tried it with mine the blue panel (with the fuel tanky things which I find super annoying in regular transformation but nicely tidied in this alternate way) do fold inwards if pushed hard enough

I like it but not if storing the swords on the back since obviously they'll stick out at an angle that way.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958440)
Posted by vsutherland01 on May 9th, 2018 @ 10:51am CDT
Thanks for all the tips guys. My optimus joint is now tight.

I love this studio series so far. I love the new bumblebee he goes great with optimus. I want more Bee figures of this quality. My favorite iteration of movie bee is the high octane on from AOE, but his toy left so much to be desired. I think it's his coolest car mode and I bet now they could do a toy of that version so well. The chest would look so cool, it was such a small role I doubt they will do it, we will get a stinger retool vw bee and a modern camero before we get another high octane. Urgh, I might just have to get one of those old AOE deluxes.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958443)
Posted by President-prime on May 9th, 2018 @ 11:12am CDT
These studio series are amazing barring the deluxes. I have no complaint and wouldn’t mind paying for these at retail. Great mold and paint details. Love all so far. Keep them coming.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958481)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 9th, 2018 @ 2:15pm CDT

What's the cheapest that Grimlock retails for in the UK?
So far the cheapest I can find is £52.99 with free delivery here
https://www.mad-4-toys.co.uk/shopbychar ... ock_figure
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958491)
Posted by william-james88 on May 9th, 2018 @ 3:13pm CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:Ok I'm gonna have to buy Grimlock now and also that new DNA Design upgrade kit with the two posable hands, actual spikey mace on chain and new tail and other such additions.

What's the cheapest that Grimlock retails for in the UK?
So far the cheapest I can find is £52.99 with free delivery here
https://www.mad-4-toys.co.uk/shopbychar ... ock_figure

Thats a rather fair price, considering it includes taxes (and no shipping) and that thats around the same MSRP of previous leaders even though this line has gotten a price increase in most international markets.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958492)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 9th, 2018 @ 3:18pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

What's the cheapest that Grimlock retails for in the UK?
So far the cheapest I can find is £52.99 with free delivery here
https://www.mad-4-toys.co.uk/shopbychar ... ock_figure

Hm thought it might be good. Yeah £54.99 seems to be price of Leader class whether movie or Power of the Primes/Titans Return (the Forbidden Planet store I was in today had PotP Optimus and Rodimus Prime and Titans Sixshot for £54.99 each. They had Studio Bee and Ratchet for £22.99 each) so I might go with this online retailer for Grimmy then.

Photo of Sixshot, Ratchet & Bee. Sixshot overpriced especially since he's been spotted (by myself and others) for as low as £14.99 in B&M stores while stocks lasted.

So Leader Grimlock for a couple quid less than retail price and actually sent to me for free? Sounds like a good deal.
Wish I knew the price of the Grimlock upgrade kit and which UK online retailers will have it. But yeah maybe I'll be ordering Grimlock real soon. Thanks. :)
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958494)
Posted by X3ROhour on May 9th, 2018 @ 3:27pm CDT
Possible Second Run of Transformers Studio Series Bumblebee

why?
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958498)
Posted by Autobot Roadburn on May 9th, 2018 @ 3:53pm CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:

Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958500)
Posted by Emerje on May 9th, 2018 @ 3:55pm CDT
Z3ROhour wrote:Possible Second Run of Transformers Studio Series Bumblebee

why?

Do you just read titles and not the articles?

fixing some of the quality concerns that affected the figure in the first place: loose joints, loose window attachment, loose feet, among others.

Emerje
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958508)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 9th, 2018 @ 4:21pm CDT
Autobot Roadburn wrote:I didn't want to force the plastic and risk stressing it so I cut down the right angles on the blue plastic that were the problem. Just used an X-acto knife, took me 5 minutes. Definitely an improvement in my eyes; the backpack sticks out a little more but it really improves his silhouette from the front.

It did feel oddly satisfying the way they felt when being pushed inwards... I dunno how to explain it.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958527)
Posted by NeonPrime on May 9th, 2018 @ 5:17pm CDT
Personally I prefer my Optimus masked ;)
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958647)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on May 10th, 2018 @ 12:38am CDT
Following up on some of the "Dreads" talk from earlier, I finally got around to opening up Studio Series Crowbar. I'm quite impressed, overall. The vehicle mode shell is almost identical to TLK Berserker, but almost all of the robot mode parts are different. One huge improvement with Crowbar is that none of the vehicle panels pop off the robot mode limbs during transformation (or otherwise). It is a bit sad that the dreadlocks just kind of hang out the back of the vehicle mode like cans on strings for a "just married" couple driving away to their honeymoon. The robot feet are also pretty clearly visible in the back wheel wells in vehicle mode. I'd like to see this improved level of engineering on the mold used to make the other two Dreads down the line. Or maybe they can reshell Crowbar with a run-down VW bus alt-mode for a later wave and give us a proper "Dreadbot?"
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime Unmasked Variant Images (1958667)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 10th, 2018 @ 6:56am CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote: I'm quite impressed, overall. The vehicle mode shell is almost identical to TLK Berserker, but almost all of the robot mode parts are different. One huge improvement with Crowbar is that none of the vehicle panels pop off the robot mode limbs during transformation (or otherwise).

Think I got lucky with my Berserker. It's had a lot of play and transforming and slighty painting and a lot of Toyhax stickers applied and never had any part pop off even when trying to 'force' it. :P

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "SMOKESCREEN Transformers SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON Earthrise Trilogy Deluxe 2020" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots DANI BURNS & (2) BLADES FLIGHT BOTS Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 VINTAGE 1987 Fastlane and Cloudraker Autobot Clones NEAR MINT" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers IRONWORKS Earthrise War for Cybertron Trilogy Hasbro brand new" on EBAY
Buy "NEW TRANSFORMERS EARTHRISE WAR FOR CYBERTRON TRILOGY,BOMBSHOCK DECEPTION & GROWL" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Earthrise Quintesson Allicon MISB (1 of 2)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Earthrise Quintesson Allicon MISB (2 of 2)" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Cyberverse Decepticon Scraplet Figure Lot of 4 New 2018" on EBAY