Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office

Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office

Wednesday, August 8th, 2007 2:58pm CDT

Category: Movie Related News
Posted by: Hotrod   Views: 8,340

The Transformers Movie is doing very well overseas, and Japan is no exception. According to VarietyAsiaOnline.com the film is currently number one at the Japanese box office:

"TOKYO -- Opening on Saturday (Aug 4) on 600 screens, the Michael Bay-helmed "Transformers" jumped straight to the top of the Japanese weekend B.O. with a two-day total of Y631.3 million ($5.35 million.) That spelled more than "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ," which took in $4.04 million over the weekend.
The "Transformers" figure is 16% better than the $4.6 million opening weekend for "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" ( Japan cume: $57.5 million) and 6% better than the $5.07 million of "Mission Impossible III" (Japan cume $43.4 million), both of which bowed in the same summer period.
"Transformers" also compares favorably with Bay's previous smash "Armageddon," which opened in Japan with $5.87 million and went on to make $114 million in 1998. With the Japanese exhibition circuit considerably smaller than today, "Armageddon" had a lesser number of prints.
Looking at the strong early numbers, and the higher than expected female auds, distributor United International Pictures is predicting a $59 million final tally for "Transformers." "

Credit(s): VarietyAsiaOnline.com

Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (270805)
Posted by ralphatron on August 8th, 2007 @ 3:19pm CDT
Japanese girls are hot.
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (270858)
Posted by Flashwave on August 8th, 2007 @ 3:47pm CDT
First Relavent Post,
This isn't a surprise. TF seems to be aking the tops for it's opening. It's jsut everyone goes to see it THEN, and we don't hold on in other wweks.
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (270908)
Posted by j-man on August 8th, 2007 @ 4:13pm CDT
The Japanese love their TF cause they know the way of the samurai...

and yes Japanese Girls are hot....
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (270913)
Posted by Nemesis Cyberplex on August 8th, 2007 @ 4:15pm CDT
Gee, a blockbuster giant robot movie doing well in Japan. Who would've figured?

How much anybody wanna bet that while we're over here arguing about wether or not Prime should have a mouth or flames, they're arguing about how all the Transformers need insecure teenage pilots?
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (270952)
Posted by Autobot_Prowl on August 8th, 2007 @ 4:31pm CDT
Transformers rules!!! Here in Portugal all the 4 times that i saw the movie the room capacity was almost 100% full even on the 4th week of the movie release. I'm waiting now for Transformers 2 and for the DVD realese of this movie.
Great job Michael Bay i hope that Transformers 2 will be even better!
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (271138)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on August 8th, 2007 @ 6:12pm CDT
ralphatron wrote:Japanese girls are hot.

All the way around, HOW AM I NOT SUPRIZED :grin:

also, awesome sig pic!
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (271224)
Posted by Starscreams bad comedy on August 8th, 2007 @ 7:00pm CDT
Nemesis Cyberplex wrote:Gee, a blockbuster giant robot movie doing well in Japan. Who would've figured?

How much anybody wanna bet that while we're over here arguing about wether or not Prime should have a mouth or flames, they're arguing about how all the Transformers need is naughty tentacles and insecure teenage pilots to molest?

FIX'D
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (271268)
Posted by Raymond101 on August 8th, 2007 @ 7:15pm CDT
I love Japan. I went there in 2005 and had the time of my life.

If there are any rightful successors to Transformers, it is Japan. I hope the toy line sells reasonably well over there too (I'm sure they can see through Leader Megatron's bullshit though)
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (271446)
Posted by Nemesis Cyberplex on August 8th, 2007 @ 8:36pm CDT
Starscreams bad comedy wrote:

FIX'D
Hentai....ugh....

Actually I was thinking more about stuff like Macross, Gundam, Evangelion.....insecure teenage pilots, generally male, who are usually extremely timid untill their buddy gets killed & then they go all emo & have themselves a killing spree.
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (272264)
Posted by lodelco on August 9th, 2007 @ 9:05am CDT
Raymond101 wrote:I love Japan. I went there in 2005 and had the time of my life.

How is Japan the rightful succesor to Transformers? Sure the toyline originated from Japan but the Transformers name and lore came from America itself.
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (274163)
Posted by Auto Bot on August 10th, 2007 @ 1:18am CDT
I've expected Transformers to clobber all other movies in Japan.

Till all are one!
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (274169)
Posted by Raymond101 on August 10th, 2007 @ 1:21am CDT
lodelco wrote:

If you had to pick the best designed mecha robots from any country, which one would you pick?

This is not denying the ingenuity of the American G1 cartoon (and believe me, I love Beast Wars and Beast Machines). But I am asserting the undeniable creativity of the Japanese when it comes to designing giant robots, anyone whos watched any anime at all will know what I am talking about. There are some horrible ones out there, but I would say the awesome ratio to the crap is 80:20.
Re: Transformers Takes Top Spot at the Japanese Box Office (274176)
Posted by Auto Bot on August 10th, 2007 @ 1:31am CDT
Are we talking about toys or cartoon?

I'll deal with the toys.

For me, up to the time of G1 Transformers, during the 80s, my best pick would be the Macross Valkerie-Gerwalk-Battroid. He was the best design during that time. And the most realistic.

I eventually fell in love with Transformers. Although most of the G1 toys are still bad. Some were quite cool. Like Prowl, Sideswipe, Trailbraker, and their respective look-alikes.

In the recent years, I've give the best toys designs to Transformers Movie Toys.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Legends Chop Shop | Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Combiner Force Bumblebee 2016" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Toys Studio Series 59 Deluxe Class Bumblebee Movie Shatter Action" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Generations - Combiner Wars-AUTOBOT HOUND Figure - Sky Reign Piece" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Studio Series 42 - Construction Long Haul Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 38 Optimus Prime Bumblebee Movie Hasbro 2018 MISP!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers VICTORION Autobot Generations Combiner Wars 6 Action Figures" on EBAY
Buy "2016 Hasbro Transformers Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Laserbeak + Soundwave" on EBAY