Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office

Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office

Saturday, June 24th, 2017 3:01am CDT

Category: Movie Related News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 18,600

Initial reports for the Transformers: The Last Knight box office numbers are starting to roll in, looking at China, but also the likes of Australia, Korea, Russia, Indoesia and a number of European scenes (bar the UK). Check out more information here and below!

Rolling out in 41 overseas markets this weekend, Paramount’s Transformers: The Last Knight has clocked an estimated $85M through Friday, according to the studio. That includes $47.9M (RMB 330.76M) from China which, in that market, is 69% above Transformers: Age Of Extinction’s June 27, 2014 bow in local currency. Par puts the opening day for Last Knight at No. 3 for an import ever in the Middle Kingdom (including Thursday’s midnight shows). The debut sets the film on track for a $100M+ weekend launch there.

Elsewhere, the $37.1M made up in other markets appears to be a mix of some Thursday openings (Korea) and those markets that bowed today, although it was not clear on how they break down in all cases.

The 5th installment in the $3.8B worldwide grossing franchise, and Michael Bay’s last turn at the helm, hit Korea with $2M in previews on Wednesday, followed by $1.4M from 1,711 screens on Thursday and $1.9M today. That lifts the cume there to $5.3M through Friday. Korea on the last Transformers was ultimately the No.3 market.

In 2014, Transformers 4’s first China day came in around $30M. That film was made under a co-operation agreement and shot locally. Transformers 5 has a local marketing partner in Wanda (owner of the most screens in the Middle Kingdom) with Weying Technology and Huahua also investing. Bay and the team traveled last week to a premiere in Guangzhou. Chinese singer Jason Zhang, who performed a promotional song for the film, was also in attendance.

All markets reporting (which does not include the UK) came in at No. 1. Rounding out the Top 10 bows after China and Korea through Friday are Russia at $2.8M on 2,460 screens, followed by Indonesia with $1.1M from 255 dates for the biggest Paramount launch day ever (the cume is $2.3M so far); Malaysia ($845K at 145 dates); Australia (2-day total $1.5M); Germany ($978K including previews on 828 screens); the Philippines with $919K on 503; Thailand at $715K including previews; and Hong Kong at $504K after Day 1 at No. 1.

The Last Knight is bypassing such markets as France and Spain this week, as well as waiting for Latin America to rumble with Bumblebee later on the calendar.

Credit(s): Deadline

Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892029)
Posted by Nexus Knight on June 24th, 2017 @ 3:12am CDT

Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892048)
Posted by Ryuki on June 24th, 2017 @ 8:15am CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:This was the case for AoE, right? I don't have the proof to back it up, but I mildly remember a family member telling me that AoE did better internationally than in the US.

Yep, it performed reaaaally well in China. In which it makes AOE broke box office record in China at that time. (until Fast&Furious 7 take that spot)

I watched TLK with my brothers 2 days ago and while I would say that it have some flaws (too many unnecessary humans scenes, forced romance) it worth all the money for the amazing visuals and actions. also, Anthony Hopkins and Cogman was really entertaining. ;)^
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892053)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 24th, 2017 @ 9:19am CDT
Hot Rod was also with Bee in the WWII scene. If I remember right, when Hot Rod was 1st mentioned like 2 years ago they said he would act as Bee's big brother. But I guess they didn't elaborate on that. I was worried they would totally waste him as a character but after Cogman and Burton he's my 3rd favorite. He just needs more screen time.

Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892071)
Posted by Nexus Knight on June 24th, 2017 @ 11:37am CDT
Ryuki wrote:

Thank you! I'll be going with my brother as soon as we get in theaters... Which will be the next two or three weeks...
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892073)
Posted by Seibertron on June 24th, 2017 @ 11:58am CDT

$5 a ticket? We only get that at some older theaters around the northwest suburbs of Chicago on Tuesdays, and not at the nice theaters with the stadium style seating. We paid $12 each for adult tickets last night (5 adults total in our group) and $9 each for 3 kids ages 5 and up and my 2 year old daughter got in free.

Definitely worth $5 a ticket or more! $5 is a steal to see a brand new blockbuster movie.
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892077)
Posted by Nexus Knight on June 24th, 2017 @ 12:44pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:
Nexus Knight wrote:Also, I have to wait for my hometown theater to get the movie in. As a deep fan of the franchise (the movies being my gateway into the awesomeness that is Transformers) is TLK worth the five dollar ticket? I'll probably go regardless, but I am curious to know.

And kids under six, I believe, get in free. ;) There is (or was) a theater in Tulsa (a forty five minute drive from me) that had tickets cheaper. Oklahoma is a pretty great place to live. ;)^ Only sucky part is, it's hard to find current toys at the local Wal-Mart. We were getting Titans Return wave one w/ Combiner Wars wave 3.
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892087)
Posted by Quantum Surge on June 24th, 2017 @ 2:33pm CDT
Haven't been on for a while due to college work and stress in my family lately, but I have been able to watch The Last Knight to get some worries off of my head for a while.

I'll be honest and say most reviews seem to go overboard with the bashing with this film. As a movie goer, I can't really agree with them saying that it's the worst film of the year *cough* Fifty Shades Darker *cough*, but as a Transformers fan who grew up with the franchise thanks to Cybertron and the first movie, I can't help but feel that it lacks what I enjoyed from the original trilogy (even ROTF, for some of it's problems, felt like a sequel that fit in with the continuity compared to AOE/TLK); it's like after DOTM, the newer films don't know what to achieve. I don't hate them both, but I feel that if they were made a bit smoother for both fans who saw the older movies and wondered what happened in between 3 and 4 and newcomers who probably haven't seen the previous movies before, then I could like them a bit more; plus, it gets really confusing when some characters return while others don't, not to mention the Dinobots added less to the movie than in AOE.

What I did like though was the medieval theme (though it did make the whole timeline confusing even if there were so many retcons), a corrupt Optimus Prime being under the control of Quintessa, some of the new characters and having them do more than I thought they would, Isabella was pretty refreshing compared to most young actresses, the return of Lennox and Simmons (though it sucks that Epps didn't get to return), seeing actual Megatron and Decepticons compared to Galvatron and his KSI drones (though the Decepticons are kind of like henchmen in comparison to the first movie's Cons IMO), and the action feels a bit more grounded than the previous movie.

So The Last Knight may not be the best movie ever, but it's in no way as terrible as most made it out to be. However, I will probably be sticking with the older movies I already have. It's fine if Paramount and Hasbro wants to continue with the story after The Last Knight, but I kind of wish the Bumblebee prequel could be the final movie so we can go back full circle with Transformers. I don't want to see the characters return on Earth for the third time, though bringing in new characters who have never been on Earth before while being guided by at least one or two of the old characters back as mentors (Hot Rod and Bee for example) could work.

I think taking a break while thinking of a reboot should be a good idea, especially after the franchise is now 10 years old; and should a reboot be in the works, I hope it takes elements from lesser known franchises and that the chatacter designs aren't straight rehashes of the G1 forms (I'v actually thought of a fire turck Optimus, Prowl being a mix of RID and Animated, Red Alert being the medic, and Blitzwing being in the Starscream role as he is under the shadow of Megatron and Starscream).
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892089)
Posted by MagnusRex on June 24th, 2017 @ 2:36pm CDT
The whole point of this movie is just to try and explain why the same story being has been told repeatedly in the other movies.
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892100)
Posted by 77Prime84 on June 24th, 2017 @ 4:28pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:
77Prime84 wrote:When will Hasbro get this?

Hasbro gets it (or at least the Transformers brand team definitely does), or else we wouldn't have Transformers Prime, Transformers Animated, or other examples (though I might argue that some of the greatest Transformers stories of all time are stories where they had outside help such as the G1 cartoons and comics and Beast Wars, though not all of it, which bears some resemblance to how things were initially setup with Paramount). The movies and their stories are out of their hands if I understand everything correctly. I'm assuming that it's similar to Marvel with FOX. Hasbro handed over most of their rights for control of the Transformers films (if I'm wording this incorrectly, someone please advise immediately) over to Paramount and Michael Bay waaaay back in 2001/2002 when these deals were originally made.

But I assure you, Hasbro (or at least the brand team) gets it! Promise!!!

That IS reassuring, and thanks for the clarification. I was unaware of how the 'chain of command' worked! Interesting!
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892106)
Posted by SlyTF1 on June 24th, 2017 @ 5:36pm CDT
Quantum Surge wrote:I'll be honest and say most reviews seem to go overboard with the bashing with this film.

It's always been like that. Most of the hate these movies get is spawned from clickbait BS.
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892113)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 24th, 2017 @ 7:53pm CDT
The Hollywood Reporter has published a new interview, this time with Jerrod Carmichael, who plays Jimmy in Transformers: The Last Knight. During the interview, Jerrod talks about how The Last Knight was a big learning experience, as he actually had to change a joke he had created because it would not translate well in other languages. He also talks about how money is a factor in bringing actors together, but how having the fun they did on set was also a good way to bring them together. He also refers to Sir Anthony Hopkins as "C-Hop" and Hopkins actually responds to it. Check out the full interview by following the link above, and catch a few snippets below.

118-degree heat in Arizona sounds like a pretty rough first day.

But it was nice because sometimes you feel so sterile in these sound stages, just standing around and holding green tea. We were sweating and running and it felt like a real experience. And Michael Bay is such a hands-on director — he’s sprinkling dirt on people’s faces and handling the smoke machine and the camera and the lights.

.....

Was there anything that you weren’t expecting about blockbuster filmmaking?

Running was a surprise. It was a great deal of running — and I mean long-distance running. Because there are helicopters capturing [the scene]. We are outside of Stonehenge and Mike’s on a bullhorn like "I need you run from over here to over there." And that’s just take one so he goes "Okay, do it again!" It’s truthfully the most I ever worked out before in my life.

.....

Has seeing Michael Bay at work inspired you to try filmmaking yourself?

Filmmaking is unique in that you craft everything around it — the lighting, the dialogue, the scenery, the perspective — and I’m infatuated with that now and it’s where a lot of my attention has been as of late. I think that now more than ever you have to be cautious of doing something because you can versus doing something because you can contribute to it. I am still figuring out exactly how I can contribute, as a director. But I want to make sure that in doing it it’s not just because I could, because that is not a good enough reason. You owe audiences more than that.
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892131)
Posted by william-james88 on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:14pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:Also, is it just me or did Optimus get the most cringeworthy lines in the entire movie?

His lines were pretty cringeworthy. But I found Nitro Zeus had some cringeworthy ones too (sleeping with your wife, wtf?!) as well as Mark Wahlberg and some of the young boys.
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892137)
Posted by TheDen on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:25pm CDT

So... Megatron. Was essentially a chemistry experiment in AoE. Basically a brain in the jar, somehow used to power a remote control robot named Galvatron. Wasn't killed in that movie. Shows up in this movie as Megatron... again.

Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892138)
Posted by william-james88 on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:36pm CDT
TheDen wrote:Did I miss an explanation offered up in TLK about how the hell that lil transition happened, or were we just supposed to write that significant part of the story for ourselves as we watched? Just making sure I didn't miss something, or if this was yet another unconnected dot in the TF series.

It is yet another unconnected dot in the TF series. But thanks for joining the site, feel free to discuss the parts you did like about the film :) (or disliked)
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892140)
Posted by JazZeke on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:36pm CDT

Yeah, it was exactly as tasteless as the fandom thought it would be and Churchill barely even got a namedrop.
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892141)
Posted by SlyTF1 on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:38pm CDT
TheDen wrote:Sooo... what's up all. New to the forum. Longtime reader, just never joined. Lifelong TF fan. Decade-long lover of the TF movies, while at the same time pulling my hair out about them for many of the very reasons often discussed.

They said Megatron had been gone for a while in between AOE and TLK. And in the movie, he has that red Quintessa mark on his face. I'm assuming she got in contact with him and gave him his identity back.
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892144)
Posted by TheDen on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:43pm CDT
Which, in essence, confirms they left it to you to fill in the plot holes yourself.
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892147)
Posted by SlyTF1 on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:56pm CDT
JazZeke wrote:So, remember when Bay got some deserved flak for redecoing Winston Churchill's home in Nazi regalia and he said "wait til you see the movie to reserve judgement, Churchill is actually a big hero in the movie"?

There's nothing wrong with what he did at all.
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892148)
Posted by JazZeke on June 24th, 2017 @ 11:00pm CDT
SlyTF1 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with what he did at all.

So you don't think there's anything wrong with decorating the home of one of Britain's most respected leaders with the iconography of his hated enemies, an iconography representative and hatred and genocide?

Think very carefully before you answer.
Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Seemingly Strong in International Box Office (1892152)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 25th, 2017 @ 12:15am CDT
Just a reminder to you guys that opinions will be different as everyone has his/her own perspective. Even though you may not agree, be respectful toward each other.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Starscream Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Bulkhead Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Deluxe Class Arcee" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Deluxe Class Bumblebee First Edition" on EBAY
Buy "GI Joe 25th Transformers SDCC SOUNDWAVE & BLASTER Backpack 6 Cassettes 2012 2013" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects WFC-GS01 Voyager G2 Combat Megatron NEW Read" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Fall Of Cybertron Grimlock Blaster And Data Discs" on EBAY
Buy "2016 SDCC EXCLUSIVE HASBRO TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE POWERGLIDE SOUNDWAVE ZARTAN" on EBAY