Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update!

Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update!

Friday, June 22nd, 2007 11:54am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Rumors
Posted by: Bed Bugs   Views: 19,241

Tired of dealing with cinemas? The long waits at the concessions stands, the overpriced food, and the noisy people who refuse to turn off their cell phones? Then here is your chance to see the upcoming Transformers Movie right in your own home on opening night!

According to Uberpulse.com, Paramount Studios is going to make history by debuting the Transformers Movie on Pay-Per-View the same night that it opens in theatres.

Don't get too excited though, there is a price to be paid for such a service, and it comes in the form of $49.00! So if you happen to have a nice entertainment center at home, and some extra cash, you can completely avoid the cinema!

Update! According to Nelson of MichaelBay.com this is completely false. A direct quote from Mr. Bay is below.

From Bay: "Total bullshit. Probally a scam putting old movie on."

So for the time being we have conflicting reports. Seems we'll all know for sure when July 3rd rolls around!

Credit(s): Autobot032, nelson_michaelbay_com

This article was last modified on Friday, June 22nd, 2007 2:12pm CDT

Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177687)
Posted by trailbreaker on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:01pm CDT
Canned Pasta, that's a good point. I wonder if the pirates will be able to record it from Pay-Per-View, or if the signal will disable any recording.
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177689)
Posted by y2jfreak on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:01pm CDT
i take it Sky Box Office will be doing this? hopefully?
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177695)
Posted by Wheeljack35 on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:04pm CDT
Hell no I wan to see this badboy in a theater then let it come out on DVD a few months later then cable about a year later

The way it ought to be
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177703)
Posted by Skowl on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:08pm CDT
Payperview?

Ummm.... bad idea?
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177704)
Posted by Prime Evil on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:08pm CDT
Well, I'm seeing it in the theaters at midnight July 3rd, but I would watch it at home too since I have off the 4th. I'm sure my cable won't be carrying it though.
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177705)
Posted by Optimus Prime 101 on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:08pm CDT
wow! ON TV ALREADY?!?!
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177709)
Posted by UFO on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:11pm CDT
$50 my ass...
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177710)
Posted by Roboto750 on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:11pm CDT
Can you say "bootleg"?

Can't say I'm really a fan of this idea. I mean, the jokes about it being on "TV already" are coming in already! Plus, I really don't see what there is to gain from this (besides money, of course). I mean, unless you have an expensive setup, how could this compare to the theatrical experience?
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177711)
Posted by Lapse Of Reason on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:14pm CDT
I'd rather pay $25 and see it with a bunch of excited Transfans early at Botcon - in a theater~!
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177713)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:15pm CDT
Frak that man im seeing it on the really big screen with really big speakers. Now if i had a DVD recorder than yeah maybe. I know my friends would chip in to see it and get a DVD but seeing as how i dont have the DVDR im going to see it at the movies. Its a good idea though. It should be a little cheaper. Maybe $30-$40 not $50.
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177719)
Posted by Mr.RobotoAutoMan on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:20pm CDT
Autobot032 wrote:http://www.uberpulse.com/
I don't have the direct link to the article, but it says TransFormers will be on PPV on July 3rd! $49.99

Info courtesy of Hooks @ CorvusChatter

why would they charge $50. mostly new movies that are ppv are at $3. this is a lie a total lie.
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177729)
Posted by ZenPrime on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:26pm CDT
This is one of those movies that should be enjoyed in the theater on the big screen, even better IMAX in 3D!
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177731)
Posted by MaikeruSama on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:27pm CDT
Canned Pasta wrote:If you have a DVD recorder or DVR, then I would think it's worth it.

hahaha i dont have to buy this movie on dvd later i just record it for a small price of 49 dollars but im still going to see it at the movie 2
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177740)
Posted by Autobobby1 on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:34pm CDT
I'd rather see it in the theater for the full experience. Besides, I don't have cable or PPV. :P
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177742)
Posted by sindred on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:36pm CDT
It's 50 bucks because they go with the assumption that you won't be watching it alone. So if you get 15 people in your house around your big ass TV then you've saved money from going to the theater. I'm still watching it at the Theater. I can't imaging someone not bootlegging this straight to a digital format. Hell even if they shoot it on camera, they have all the time in the world to set up and shoot it off a clean LCD monitor, which will be only next to a clean DVD rip, and beats the crap that people put on the net, shot off the Theater screen. I don't know if it's a great idea.
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177743)
Posted by Windracer on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:36pm CDT
Hah, I preordered tickets over Fandango for all my family for the 8PM showing on July 2nd... and it still didn't set me back $50. I mean going to the theatre is half the experience!
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177750)
Posted by Koloth on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:41pm CDT
Mr.RobotAutoMan wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:http://www.uberpulse.com/

Info courtesy of Hooks @ CorvusChatter

Because new PPV movies are already released on DVD and no longer competing with the theaters. The high price is to deter to many people from using this option as a way to cheap out of going to the theater and thus hurting th theaters even more.

But if you have a 60" HDTV with a nice 5.1 surround sound system why wouldn't you? Theaters suck, you have loud audience members, sticky floors, expensive stale popcorn. There is a reason many people will wait for the DVD and why theaters are losing a lot of business lately. Many people do have nice home theaters and the theater experience when compared just isn't worth the hassle. It isn't the rare weekend treat it used to be 20+ years ago.
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177752)
Posted by Tripredacus agent on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:42pm CDT
I expect the net will be flooded with downloads 5 mins after the credits have rolled...
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177756)
Posted by bl80 on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:46pm CDT
i agree this is one of those movies that pretty much requires to be in a big theater to enjoy..

then again my new sony 1080p tv with my very expensive surround sound setup is a pretty f**king amazing place to watch a movie.

i bought 4 tix for the 8pm July2 showing. 8.75 per.

for a few bucks more to have it at my house w/ the ability to pause and rewind??? i might have considered the alternative.

i think its great to have this as a choice.
Re: Transformers to be the First Movie to debut on Pay-Per-View? Update! (177767)
Posted by Versa on June 22nd, 2007 @ 12:56pm CDT
Boy this news will steam up the movie theater business! Seeing as people will get to start enjoying movies right in their own home instead of theaters to avoid the rude people the concession sales will probably go down.

Certainly there are movies I think 100% should be seen in theaters first, like Transformers, BUT... Can anyone agree with me that there are those movies you do want to see here and there, but worry you're going to get a bunch on inconsiderate jerks sitting near you who will be rattling wrappers or talking or texting on those bright displays while you are trying to enjoy your movie when you'd rather pay a bit of a premium to not deal with that at all?

Say you do have a home theater, ok? You have pretty freakin nice setup... Say you want to see a film like "Knocked Up." But you know there's going to be some idiot there who is going to ruin it for you because you know there are just some people out there who seem to love blowing $10 to get into a film and ruin it for others. You're going with 3 or so other people who want to see the movie and you have the opportunity to see it at home with no disturbances. Would you watch it with the jerks and on the big screen, or on a really nice home theater with a few of your friends (at a higher price) but absolutely no disturbances? These less-bigger event films should get the opportunity to be viewed at home at the higher price. HUGE movies I would see in a heartbeat on the big screen as I always do.

I know it's the experience of going to a movie that is great and all, but it's really great if everyone is going for the same reason. Some are there to just have it be a social event while other crowds are there because they WANT to see the movie. This is why I always try to catch those midnight shows on opening day because chances are very little someone's gonna be there to ruin it for you.

I remember one time I went to see Lord of the Rings: Return of the King for the 2nd or 3rd time and some idiot brought their baby in. The baby cried right at the beginning of the film while the Smoegel story was being revealed. A guy yelled, "Shut the baby up!" and there was a bit of an exchange of words. It's stuff like that that ruins the experience and just makes you hate going to movies sometimes. I get really into movies when I go to the theaters and don't like people talking or making noise. If people would just learn to SHUT UP during the movies all the time I'd refute the whole pay per view idea, but that's really not a bad idea.

I will repeat what I said though in that huge anticiptaed movies I will always see in theaters first. no question. As long as I get to see it on that opening show it's usually fine.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight 1-Step Turbo Changer Cogman" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "Transformers G1 Thundercracker near complete in good condition not reissue" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Quickshadow" on EBAY
Buy "Mint Used Decepticon Berserker, Transformers The Last Knight Premier Edition " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide Blue Boat VHTF Retired" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Daca Toys Kronos" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Leader DOUBLEDEALER  NIB NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide" on EBAY