Transformers News: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse

Friday, December 21st, 2018 8:29AM CST

Category: Movie Related News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 12,701

So with all this debate for the months prior about what kind of film Bumblebee was, Travis Knight is being extreamly precise about its status within the Bayverse. It seems its status as a prequel was decided off the bat and now Mr Knight reveals how that stopped him from having Megatron in the film's Cybertron scene, something he wanted and even storyboarded.

Here are the actual quotes from io9:

“I had this whole thing boarded where we’re where we see [Decepticon leader] Megatron and he comes in like Sauron, just blowing shit up and laying waste to everything,” Knight said. However, he then realized in this world, Megatron is currently frozen on Earth, as seen in 2007's Transformers, so that was out.

“So even though I really wanted to see G1 Megatron on the battlefield at the fall Cybertron, I couldn’t do it,” he said. “But I wanted to fit as much of this G1 stuff I loved in there, and so I put my favorite characters in. Obviously there are ones I wish I could put in there, and I would love to see an entire movie about the fall of Cybertron because I think it’s awesome, but just to be able to visit it for a moment, to see the Cybertron of my imaginations on the big screen, it was a real thrill.”

Credit(s): io9
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000232)
Posted by william-james88 on December 21st, 2018 @ 8:35am CST
Kyleor wrote:It feels like a reboot, no matter what people are being told to say.

Its not about what people are being told to say, I just newsed a story saying that Travis Knight was told to make a prequel and thus could not include specific scenes and characters he wanted since it wouldnt fit continuity.
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000245)
Posted by ScottyP on December 21st, 2018 @ 9:08am CST
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000247)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 21st, 2018 @ 9:12am CST
ScottyP wrote:I had done so well avoiding spoilers and then we front page one the day the movie comes out :'(
Well, considering that this film takes place in 1987 and Megatron doesn't awaken until 2007, I kinda figured that his absence from the film would have been a given (and I still haven't seen it yet but will in about 30 minutes or so from now, as of this typing).
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000250)
Posted by ScottyP on December 21st, 2018 @ 9:15am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
Movie continuity is so loose I assumed there could be some allowance for him being there and getting deactivated again. I was genuinely curious!
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000256)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on December 21st, 2018 @ 9:32am CST
Transformers Continuity. An oxymoron since 1984! :-D Personally I think this works in both veins. theres enough connecting tissue to make this a prequel, but also enough pieces that don't fit into the established world to make it a reboot. Personally, I enjoy it for what it is, a dang good transformers movie. I hope it does really really well at the box office, because hasbro needs to make more like this one.
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000273)
Posted by WiseMan on December 21st, 2018 @ 10:59am CST
Everyone seems to be discussing whether Bumblebee is a reboot or not. This question can only be asked based on one basic assumption; that a continuity exists for it to be, or not to be, a part of.

On one hand, Travis Knight says there is a continuity and he had to follow certain plot points. Michael Bay said all of his films were sequels. Fantastic. On the other hand, take a look at the actual continuity of the Bayverse films. Megatron's dead at the end of the 3rd movie, very specifically dead in the 4th and comes back as Galvatron, and is then inexplicably back as Megatron for the 5th.

Now, while that's just one example of the many, many continuity plotholes the Bayverse has I bring it up for a specific reason: They stopped Megatron's inclusion in a prequel due to "continuity" while previously allowing Megatron to appear in a sequel despite "continuity".

What they say doesn't match what they do.

If you prefer Bumblebee to be a standalone movie, that's your choice. If you want it to be a prequel, go for it. If you want it to be the start of a reboot, that's fine.

Fortunately for Transformers fans we have the Unicron Singularity for just such situations. :-D
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000275)
Posted by o.supreme on December 21st, 2018 @ 11:17am CST
I'm just taking this movie as a solo film (no pun intended), not a reboot, and not in continuity either. There are so many other contradictions already that not showing Megatron on Cybertron to "preserve continuity", is really superfluous at this point. The manner and arrival of all sorts of Transformers on Earth has changed with each passing film.
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000277)
Posted by PerfectVision on December 21st, 2018 @ 11:34am CST
Maybe he didn't remembered or watched everything:now it's time for every possible mocking-rant on the sequels :lol:

Hmm...My first message has dissapeared :-?
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000281)
Posted by Windsweeper on December 21st, 2018 @ 12:10pm CST
There are several reasons why Bumblebee doesn't tie in with the Baymovies.

In the 07 movie, Optimus Prime specifically says they're on Earth looking for the Allspark. There's no mention of that in Bumblebee where Prime specifically sends him to Earth to set up a base for the other Autobots.

In the Last Knight, Bumblebee and Hot Rod are seen fighting Nazis during World War 2 but Bumblebee doesn't arrive on Earth until the 80s in the Bumblebee movie.
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000291)
Posted by 1984forever on December 21st, 2018 @ 12:42pm CST
There’s so much talk about the movies being bad and not making any sense continuity wise that I think it’s pushing people away. If not for the Cybertron scenes I wouldn’t have gone to see it. It was a good movie that I think I would’ve enjoyed way better in the comfort of my own home.
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000302)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 21st, 2018 @ 1:24pm CST
Windsweeper wrote:There are several reasons why Bumblebee doesn't tie in with the Baymovies.

To be fair, there's inconsistencies like that in the bay movies and they are sequels to each other.
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000303)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 21st, 2018 @ 1:37pm CST
Just got back from seeing the movie. With no pun intended, I give it a solid B.

As for the continuity issues, it's really primarily just TLK with its "familiar Autobot characters on Earth during historical era events" that this movie conflicts with, more than anything else, which almost gets me wondering if maybe it was decided by Paramount to kinda quietly sweep TLK under the rug and sorta pretend like that movie didn't happen (after how unsuccessful it was as a film).
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000315)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 21st, 2018 @ 3:00pm CST
That's probably for the best. Though regarding TLK, I'm still suprised they went with how Alligned handled Unicron.
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000335)
Posted by dragons on December 21st, 2018 @ 3:39pm CST

I knew this two days ago
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000361)
Posted by zko on December 21st, 2018 @ 5:21pm CST
Just got back and the movie was much better than I expected it to be in all aspects.

It was much more toned down on the action scenes for most of it, meaning less going on since less combatants total between Autobots, Decepticons, and Army.

I had fun seeing most of the old 80s stuff at the beginning and the G1/Bayverse design mix actually worked pretty well for me even in the parts that looked like a videogame at the Cybertron opening scene.

The part with Optimus totally surrounded and Jon 3.0's Soundwave stuff was pretty cool to see too.

Probably had the most fun out of all the movies so far at this one, was toned down pretty well on the gritty/adult stuff most people complain about with only a few curse words here and there especially compared to TLK and DOTM.

Overall it was more of an adventure movie and less an action flick feel.

Steinfeld came through as a great human lead that worked better than I thought she would as well.

The plot points played out like many things taken from Season 1 of TF: Prime, but with Jack as a girl Charlie Watson and Bee instead of Arcee, the ending especially felt like that episode where June Darby finally finds out about the Transformers, where Airachnid has her kidnapped, especially the scenes where she is atop the crane and Jack has to climb up there were much like that part where Charlie was climbing to stop the transmission to the Decepticons, and Shatter came off like Airachnid in a way... Also her having a job at the Circus was like the KO Burger job Jack has in Season 1, and the bullying he puts up with were like the bullying from the popular girls.

All said and done, it really worked for me, loved it and still hope live action TF will survive into future films being produced.
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000378)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 21st, 2018 @ 6:15pm CST
Looks like Australian Transformer fans got to have a fun promotion for the Transformers Bumblebee movie! As Paramount Pictures Australia set up little booths in Sydney and Melbourne where aside from seeing a dancing Bumblebee, you could walk away with a Bumblebee themed blank cassette and a flyer with a link to a special Transformers Bumblebee movie themed Spotify play list!

Now why it looks like the promotion has ended, Australian site Ausdroid has gotten their hands on some and are giving them away to Australian fans who couldn't make it to one of the installations. To enter, go to the Ausdroid website and enter using the form at the bottom of the page, Australian residents only mind.

All non Australians will have to make do with the Spotify list and the ability to make your own 80s Bumblebee soundtrack from preset selections over on Bumblebee Rewind dedicated website.

This site allows you to make your own playlists, share them with friends and play them through Spotify itself.

Will you be listening to this list and be getting into the eighties mood? Let us know in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews.
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000422)
Posted by Alpha Dominus on December 21st, 2018 @ 10:39pm CST
Ah man. Loved the 80's soundtrack to the movie. Would've loved snatching one of these...
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000478)
Posted by xMXUx on December 22nd, 2018 @ 4:00am CST
As a serious cassette collector I'd love to get my hands on one of these :x so if anyone happens to have one and wanna get rid of it, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands ;) otherwise I'll be on the lookout on the internet haha
Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000582)
Posted by Ironhidensh on December 22nd, 2018 @ 3:32pm CST
We have arrived.

Re: Travis Knight Says Megatron Was Not in his Film to Maintain Continuity with Bayverse (2000599)
Posted by Deadput on December 22nd, 2018 @ 4:51pm CST
So the Entertainment Weekly website (the same guys who gave us our first look at Shatter and Dropkick) posted an article about which transformers were in the Cybertron battle. (The text contains spoilers for a couple parts, in particular about the fate of a character)

But we got some nice screenshots of the Cybertron stuff, in particular Wheeljack, Arcee, Cliffjumper (You can see for sure that his design is just a recolor of Bee's Cybertron design with addition of a new head) and a bit of Brawn.

Also I didn't even know there was a Teletran 1 appearance till I read the article!

Note: Fun fact in the Wheeljack screenshot you can see Dropkick's cybertron form on a ledge beside a Seeker shooting at Autobots, near Wheeljack's shoulder but above the Autobot soldier (Ratchet I think)

Nice to get some good clear HD screenshots now instead of waiting for the movie to release on dvd/digital.

https://ew.com/movies/2018/12/22/bumble ... ng-battle/

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Sawback" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #215 - New Year, New Toys
"New Year, New Toys"
Posted: Sunday, January 13th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Prime RID Robots in Disguise Deluxe Airachnid MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse 1 Step Changer Soundwave Action Figure. Age 6+. NEW" on EBAY
Buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers G2 Minibots Minibot Mini bot bots complete Bumble Bee" on EBAY
Buy "TransFormers DOTM Cyberverse Autobot POWERGLIDE action figure, Japanese version" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro G2 Transformers Autobots Dreadwing Figure 1993 Vintage Generation 2 Loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Original G2 Cyberjets Air Raid MOSC Sealed" on EBAY