Transformers News: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview

Wednesday, April 10th, 2019 10:55PM CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Interviews
Posted by: Emerje   Views: 22,404

Now that the Bumblebee movie has hit home Director Travis Knight continues making the interview rounds. This time he spoke with MovieFone about some very specific topics.

On the topic of the cutting room floor:

We had this scene early on in the script. It was a “Sorcerer's Apprentice”-type moment where Bumblebee transfers his energon on to some of these appliances is in the house. We boarded it out and it was a lot of fun and but we never got it to work as a finished thing. It's one of those things where you share a work-in-progress with the world and you don't really want them to see it because I'm not done. But we did a fair amount of work on that sequence and in the end for a variety of reasons, for both tone and for pacing. While on its own, it was going to be a ton of fun, it just didn't propel the movie forward. It stopped the movie in his tracks for essentially this fun little moment and really wasn’t about our characters or their or their experiences, their growth or their relationship really.

On continuity:

Continuity is very important to me, as is being consistent. And so I did take a good hard look at the films that had been done in the past. And as we were thinking about this movie, I still wanted to move to be self-contained. I didn't presuppose any familiarity with the films or the franchise. I wanted someone who wouldn’t know anything about the Transformers to be able to sit in the theater to watch this movie and have a good time and enjoy the movie, not knowing anything about the transformers. But that said, it was important to me that if we were living within this universe and this mythology that it be consistent. At some point we realized that we were essentially boxing ourselves into a corner -- that we were, we were making choices that weren't really in the best interest of the film if we were trying to kind of sit within the overall mythology of the franchise.

Once I talked through some of these things with the producers and with the folks at Paramount, at some point we made the decision that this was the story that we're telling and we have to talk the best where we can. And if that means that we essentially are restarting the franchise and that means we’re rebooting these characters and they were taking aspects of the franchise and putting a different prism on it, then that's what we had to do. And ultimately it was a liberating choice because then we weren’t cornered into these decisions based on what had come before. We could tell our own story. And that that was the aspect of that.

On turning people into goo:

[laughs] Well, we wanted to showcase how much of a threat that our baddies and that if Charlie or Bumblebee some face-to -ace with these antagonists, they are in very big trouble. We wanted to show right away that these characters are a real threat. However in keeping with like you said, some kind of Joe Dante, family, Amblin-y vibe, you try not to be grotesque. We still wanted this to be a family movie. And so even though what the Decepticons do to people is horrific, there's still a comedic element to it. It’s still kind of fun, even though it's gross and awful. You can watch it and give you a little bit of a smile on the corner of your mouth. But that was the idea -- it wasn't horrific and grotesque, that that it was communicated what we want to but, in a family-friendly way. I will say that when we shot that stuff practically, people would get it all over their shoes. It was disgusting.

The full interview can be read at the link above and you can discuss it in the Energon Pub forums below!
Credit(s): MovieFone.com
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018714)
Posted by RetardedRyan2022 on April 11th, 2019 @ 7:52am CDT
To sum up Travis Knights interview in a nutshell...
“We wanted to keep the film in the same universe as the previous films, but I wanted to everything to be like my childhood only and have everything G1, because I hate change and everything has to be exactly as it was in the 80’s.
When paramount told me “FINE, JUST GET OUT’VE MY SIGHT PLEASE!!” You wouldn’t know how Liberating it was to make everything G1 and still call it a prequel to piss everyone off LoL.” ;)
(Bit long, but thought I’d make my first post big)

Oh yeah...my name’s Ryan. :CON:
-I’m just a casual, mostly chill Aussie doing Tradework and lovin robots.
-that being said, I may Make the occasional long read...oops
-I actually don’t hate G1 (despite how this post comes across :lol: ).
-I like the first 3 movies :michaelbay:
- Prime and Animated are Good stuff.
- I appreciate when continuity’s try to be interesting.
- hope I can fit in nice and easy.
- I can’t edit my profile and I don’t know how to.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018715)
Posted by robotcaveman on April 11th, 2019 @ 7:57am CDT
I’m still confused. Does this mean Travis confirmed Bee being a reboot?
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018719)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 11th, 2019 @ 9:39am CDT
Yeah, he doesn't outright say if they ended up rebooting or not, kinda instead beating around the bush on either side of the matter.

So, business as usual.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018720)
Posted by o.supreme on April 11th, 2019 @ 9:48am CDT
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018721)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 11th, 2019 @ 9:50am CDT
o.supreme wrote:It seems like DiBonaventura has put out a statement almost every week for the past 4 or 5 weeks, each one making less sense than the previous. At this point, BB is just a solid film, and I personally don't care if it's a reboot or not. DiBonaventura's statements are to the point of not even being news really. Wait until Paramount actually has another movie in development, (not just random ideas) then tell us something.
This is from Knight, though.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018746)
Posted by william-james88 on April 11th, 2019 @ 5:54pm CDT
robotcaveman wrote:I’m still confused. Does this mean Travis confirmed Bee being a reboot?

He said the same he always said, a pequel to what we know with a bunch of elements that dont line up. A stand alone film for fans of movie bumblebee.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018769)
Posted by EunuchRon on April 11th, 2019 @ 9:28pm CDT
Turnin' people to goo vs wut Lockdown did to Weasel? Good call, and ya, I luv how dey pop too! I still like the 'Cons weaps in DOTM durin' the invasion from da moon best tho. Turned peeps to bones. BONES. Dat was some solid awesome. :CON:
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018771)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 11th, 2019 @ 9:53pm CDT
So Bee is a reboot-ish. ¯\_(⏓ヘ⏓)_/¯
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018774)
Posted by Shuttershock on April 11th, 2019 @ 10:36pm CDT
Heh, I like it when they pop.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018775)
Posted by Shuttershock on April 11th, 2019 @ 10:36pm CDT
Heh, I like it when they pop.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018777)
Posted by william-james88 on April 11th, 2019 @ 10:49pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:So Bee is a reboot-ish. ¯\_(⏓ヘ⏓)_/¯

yeah, but its not something we didnt already know. The big thing people want to know is if we are done with bayverse. Bumblebee which stradles very closely to the prequel territory did not offer a definitive answer (purposefully) and I don't think we will get one. But I dont think it matters really. Bumblebee has a ton of Bayverse influence and was still great. As I wrote before, I dont think fans dislike Bayverse really, they just dislike bay. And Bumblebee was our first look at that distinction. I mean, he had the same Bayverse face and the same radio voice gimmick, criticisms that have been going 10 years now, and yet people still liked it.

AOE had just as much reboot elements as Bumblebee (new cast, new characters, new looks) but since Bay was still at the helm, no one ever mentioned the word reboot.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018781)
Posted by Burn on April 11th, 2019 @ 11:08pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:I dont think fans dislike Bayverse really, they just dislike bay.

I'm over the Bayverse stuff, but I have nothing against Bay.

Whether people like it or not, the guy is a talented Director, and while as Director, he has to shoulder a lot of the criticism, to me, the movie got progressively worse and worse.

What changed?

Not the Director.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018782)
Posted by william-james88 on April 11th, 2019 @ 11:13pm CDT
Burn wrote:

I'm over the Bayverse stuff, but I have nothing against Bay.

What changed?

Not the Director.

I dont feel the films got worse though. I do think TLK is the worst but its not like AOE was worse than DOTM and on and on. I think what happened is the director kept doing the same thing and while some of us enjoyed it at first, the repetition got to us.

Also, Bumblebee is the best scoring film amongst fans and critics (it is my favourite live action TF movie) and what changed there was the director. Both BB and TLK came out of the writer's room, so it was the same think tank. And yet the biggest difference was the director.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018785)
Posted by Burn on April 12th, 2019 @ 12:18am CDT
They may have come out of the writers room, but there were different writers.

After AOE and TLK, I was actually wishing for Orci and Kurtzman to come back.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018815)
Posted by carytheone on April 12th, 2019 @ 3:07pm CDT
Burn wrote:to me, the movie got progressively worse and worse.
Or did people's tolerances lower? I agree either way. I found each movie less enjoyable than the previous.

I have nothing against Bay (I like watching car chases and things blow up) but the TF movies never delivered much of what I wanted.

I enjoyed the Bee movie. Was it better, was it worse? That's an conversation I don't care to take part in.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018818)
Posted by Darth-Badguy on April 12th, 2019 @ 4:25pm CDT

I have a feeling the people above Knight wanted it both ways so they could go back to the Bay continuity in case Bumblebee didn’t do well.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018819)
Posted by Burn on April 12th, 2019 @ 4:54pm CDT
carytheone wrote:
Burn wrote:to me, the movie got progressively worse and worse.
Or did people's tolerances lower?

...well shit. I never considered that.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018830)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 12th, 2019 @ 7:09pm CDT
Burn wrote:
carytheone wrote:
Burn wrote:to me, the movie got progressively worse and worse.
Or did people's tolerances lower?

...well ****. I never considered that.

People change. And over 10 years is a long time to change. Things I liked before, I don't like anymore and vice-versa.

I used to like cartoon with mean and edgy humor like the Simpson, South Park, and Family Guy. Now I just cringe and hate the mean humor. I used to love obscene and mindless violence and gore. Now I just find it sad. I used to find movies about social situations and human things boring. Now I find them interesting.

… Getting old is weird...
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018843)
Posted by william-james88 on April 12th, 2019 @ 9:10pm CDT
Burn wrote:
carytheone wrote:
Burn wrote:to me, the movie got progressively worse and worse.
Or did people's tolerances lower?

...well ****. I never considered that.

Thats what I was trying to get at before.
Re: Travis Knight Talks Edits, Continuity, and Turning People into Goo in New Interview (2018916)
Posted by notirishman on April 14th, 2019 @ 1:12am CDT
In accordance with the Bumblebee movie, the official @Bumblebee_JP Twitter account is releasing a new chibi style anime series! They are 3 episodes in, each at around one minute and a half, and essentially retell the Bumblebee film.

Part 1 focuses on Bumblebee losing his memory, after Blitzwing attacks him, thus making him hide as a Volkswagen. Charlie finds him, and brings him to her home, which results in Bumblebee being scared of the dog, Conan. The tweet can be found here.

Part 2 starts off with Charlie wondering where Bumblebee hailed from, and they soon practice hiding, though Bumblebee doesn't seem to be good at it, destroying things. He accidently activates Optimus' holographic message, confusing the both of them. The tweet can be found here.

Part 3, Bumblebee learns how to cook! To no one's suprise, he absolutely fails, irritating Conan, destroying the inside of the house, and leaving the door open for Conan to run after. Charlie comes home, and chases after the dog, but they are aprehended by soldiers. Bumblebee comes and fights the men, and leaps away with Charlie and Conan. The tweet can be found here.

Thoughts on these cute animated shorts? Watch them from Twitter, or the YouTube links below, and reply in the Pub forums below!

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #221 - Appliance Wars
"Appliance Wars"
Posted: Sunday, April 14th, 2019

Buy "Transformers BUMBLEBEE Action Figure POWER PUNCH Age of Extinction Deluxe NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robot In Disguise Hero Mashers Bumblebee, Sideswipe & Steeljaw." on EBAY
Buy "New- Transformers Age of Extinction Strafe Dinobot Spin Attack Deluxe Figure Toy" on EBAY
Buy "2016 McDonalds Happy Meal Toy Transformers #7 Grimlock figure Sealed New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Beast Wars Laserbeak 1996 VGC" on EBAY
Buy "JADA 1:43 HOLLYWOOD RIDES TRANSFORMERS OPTIMUS PRIME DIE-CAST-NEW-*HTF*" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Slog " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Dark Of The Moon Deluxe Class Laserbeak MOSC NEW" on EBAY