Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion

Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion

Thursday, April 23rd, 2015 6:44pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Toy News, Company News
Posted by: Autobot032   Views: 29,573

The official Transformers Youtube channel has posted two new Designer Desk videos, featuring designer John Warden and this time, their focus is on Superion and Menasor.

In both videos, Mr. Warden gives us a little peek behind the curtain mixed with a little bit of "How It's Made" in which he discusses the enjoyment he had in helping to bring these characters to life in plastic and shows off a few of the designers notes as to their inspiration on some of the design choices. For example, Menasor's horns came to be after receiving a bit of inspiration from Viking Gods!

You can watch both videos in the embeds below and when you're done, come on back to the forums and share your thoughts with us! After watching the videos, if you're still on the fence about these guys, check out the new toys of the Combiner Wars line in our high resolution galleries, betcha can't hold out after that!

Credit(s): The Official Transformers YouTube Channel

Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678473)
Posted by steve2275 on April 23rd, 2015 @ 6:55pm CDT
2 good video combo
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678476)
Posted by Bradimus on April 23rd, 2015 @ 7:02pm CDT

As seen in the picture below, Firefly has a sleek upper body design. In fact, the figure could easily be turned into a fembot by simply swapping out the head. However, the figure has what looks to be a cape.

Contrast that with Skydive, who also has a tapered sculpt with broad shoulders and a slim waist.

What makes this look work for Skydive is a shorter pin that attaches the nosecone assembly to the back of the figure.

Unfortunately, Firefly has a significantly longer pin, for whatever reason I do not know. Looking at the picture below, imagine if the pin was shorter, like Skydives. That would allow a crease for the red part of the wing assembly to fold back first, and then the wings to fold out parallel to the cockpit assembly.

I can see it now, the classic G1 look with the small plain on the back of the Aerialbot. Still a good figure, but an unfortunate missed opportunity. #-o
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678481)
Posted by Starsaber468 on April 23rd, 2015 @ 7:51pm CDT
>:oP I wonder if we are getting a tf collectors club nexus prime (made out of combiner wars fugures) lets see jets check possibke tank figure check and possible onslaught figure CHECK
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678642)
Posted by koolkollectibleskhai on April 24th, 2015 @ 2:59am CDT
TF haul that came in today. Great start to the weekend! Reviews coming soon :)

Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678648)
Posted by phantom1592 on April 24th, 2015 @ 3:23am CDT
Bradimus wrote:I have the Aerialbots standing guard on the coffee table in the den, and I can't help but be disappointed with Hasbro. No, not because Alpha Bravo has replaced Slingshot. I like helicopters and have no issue with the aesthetic of Superion. My disappointment lies with Firefly, who could have been best of the bunch.

I can see it now, the classic G1 look with the small plane on the back of the Aerialbot. Still a good figure, but an unfortunate missed opportunity. #-o

I'm a little surprised that this bugs Transformers fans so much... I've always felt that the 'kibble' was what gave the robots their charm... made them stand out from each other. Things like Prime's Grill and windshield... and Prowl's Door wings were the kind of things that I loved as a kid. To look at the robot and know exactly what he turned into.

I'm really on the OTHER end of the spectrum. I don't mind the plane parts on the robots. I'd be disappointed if they weren't there for the Aerialbots. No, what always bugged me about the G1 Superion parts was the whole 'plane stands up' brick that the robots were. Seeing all that Robot kibble underneath the plane just breaks up the 'disguise' purpose of the Alt Mode and with no moving parts, the robots were pretty boring to play with too.

CW fixed a great deal of that for me. The arms on the sides still feels a bit cheap (though I do like them broken up a bit with some reprolabels... makes it less noticeable) and Silverbolt still has way too much under him... but I have three modes now and all three look pretty awesome and can do cool poses.

Honestly... I never saw Firefly as having a cape. Honestly, I love capes... Since you brought it up, I wish that had been intentional and they went a bit further with it :lol:
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678649)
Posted by Va'al on April 24th, 2015 @ 3:27am CDT

We seem to be getting confirmation for Bruticus and the Combaticons, the addition of three new deluxes in Wheeljack, Smokescreen and Trailbre-- cutt-- breaker, and Legends Rewind, Stripes and Wreck-Gar. Make of them what you will as you read through below, but be aware that none of this is currently set in stone.

Well, it is that time again... it's new toy listings time! All of these were given to me by a friend who works at a large retailer. I will be providing names and Item Codes. Please keep in mind these are merely names; I have no idea what they look like or the mold choices. Everything is subject to change, of course.

Alright, first up is Combiner Wars. I already revealed that we are getting Bruticus but I can now confirm his limbs... and breaking the trend Superion, Menasor, and Defensor began, the entire Combaticon original team will be released as deluxe limbs! They are:

Vortex-b4659
Brawl-b4660
Swindle- b4661
Blast-Off- b4662

But while we knew these guys were coming we didn't know about these next 3 deluxes , which make up, for now, their own wave.

Wheeljack-b5605
Smokescreen- b5607
Trailbreaker- b5608

While there were no new Voyagers in the list I was given, there were some new legends and they are quite interesting.

Rewind-b5612
Wreckgar-b5611
Autobot Stripes- b5610
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678664)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on April 24th, 2015 @ 4:33am CDT
Interesting, provided these are fact, and honestly some of them are odd enough that it could be fact (over the years with hasbro i've learned the truth in rumors can be stranger than fiction) like pretty reasonable listings for winter 2015/16.

For the deluxe combaticons, I'm willing to believe that at least two of them, Blastoff and Brawl, could be new molds. However it wouldn't be to surprising if much like the stunticons, they were all new molds that could get re-purposed/retooled later, maybe into technobots, maaaaaaaaaaaaybe Road Caesar or Liokaiser; keeping with those Authoritative pseudo latin combiners (Victorion). Or maybe just other characters who knows.

But i'd love, love, love it it Takara at the least repainted the set into Battle Gaia (never gonna happen)

Wheeljack makes sense in that it's a been a bit since they've made a neo-classics figure of him, and you can tell in recent years there are character outside of prime and bumblebee the staff likes to throw a bone at every once and awhile. And who knows, maybe this could lead to generations exhaust dohohoh......ho. (also never gonna happen)

Smokescream also makes sense because even though i'd think he's the one with the least demand, he's still one of the Datsun brothers. It makes sense for hasbro to open with the nice colorful one. This could lead to Bluestreak because MTMTE, and prowl; which I know prowlistator I want it to but yeah even for how much love hasbre's giving the comics and visa versa, maybe in another 30 years.

And speaking of comics, Trailcutter's an interesting addition considering he's, you know Dead. And not like just stabbed oh magic can bring him back if you clap you hands, no I mean the DJD fucked him up. But seeing as we got a pretty great generations figure year before last, i'm curious, yet mildly indifferent.

Rewind, Yes, all my yes. All i can hope is that this signals an eventual Chromedome headmaster. Yes i know the gimmick or brainstorm was a bit... twitchy, at best, but that was more of QC than anything else. If you got the revision instead of the early release, 9 times out of 10 it would play nice. And don't say hasbro won't do it because of the club, this wouldn't be the first time hasbro's done a character after the club/.

Wreckgar, probably a repaint of Groove. Maybe not, but it feels like it. Stripes, no idea maybe another Joe homage, or something from one of their other properties. I feel this one's probably going to be a new mold though. It could be something cat themed, maybe a new version of the cassetticon stripes, or maybe even tigertracks with a dumb name. Though i'm still leaning to joe something, due to the name stripes, and the inclusion of viper recently. If it isn't a cat, it's gotta be something super patriotic, like robot zombie George Washington patriotic. Stars and stripes 4eves baybe. Murica.
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678665)
Posted by Thadicon on April 24th, 2015 @ 4:52am CDT
Va'al wrote:Get those speculation engines revving - it's tIme for Mr Chaos, from the TFW2005 boards, to bring some more fuel for upcoming Generations Combiner Wars figures. What they provide in the quoted post below is a list of new names and item numbers (nothing else) from a so-far unnamed toy retailer.

Vortex-b4659
Brawl-b4660
Swindle- b4661
Blast-Off- b4662

Wheeljack-b5605
Smokescreen- b5607
Trailbreaker- b5608

Rewind-b5612
Wreckgar-b5611
Autobot Stripes- b5610

COMBATICONS!!!!!

And rewind.

I'm wondering if there is going to be some completely new molds and only a couple of retools or just major retools all round of existing molds
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678666)
Posted by RhA on April 24th, 2015 @ 5:08am CDT
Stripes?
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678672)
Posted by Autobot Roadburn on April 24th, 2015 @ 5:59am CDT
Awesome, I'll definitely be grabbing Bruticus! I already have the FoC version with the Military Titans Onslaught, but he's always been my favorite combiner. I don't mind having two, especially if one has Hot Spot for the torso. Love the look of that mold.

Rewind and Wheeljack are also probable buys, but I'll have to see what WreckGar and Stripes look like first. I'm going to try to avoid buying the other deluxes, because with FoC Bruticus, CW Superion and Menasor I'm running out of space. I do want to see what Wheeljack looks like before making a final decision too. If he looks IDW enough, I'll get him. If not, Takara Lost Age and MP will be fine.
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678673)
Posted by robotmel on April 24th, 2015 @ 6:25am CDT
RhA wrote:Stripes?

'Autobot' Stripes used to hang out with Twincast back in the day!

I guess if this is listed as a Legends class figure then it wont be a repaint of Ravage from the Universe Hound Deluxe from yesteryear?

I need Rewind AND Eject (bring back Perfect Effect!) so can we guess we'll see a repaint before the end of the year?

Those three 'Deluxe' figures, if they are actually Deluxe seem somewhat an odd choice as we have had all three characters represented very recently with their Generations Deluxe versions...? :???:
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678675)
Posted by RhA on April 24th, 2015 @ 6:28am CDT
robotmel wrote:
RhA wrote:Stripes?

'Autobot' Stripes used to hang out with Twincast back in the day!

Well damn. I own a Stripes. Sign me up!
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678677)
Posted by Evil Eye on April 24th, 2015 @ 6:42am CDT
I may very well have to replace my ancient and floppy FP Bruticus...
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678684)
Posted by bumblebeej8 on April 24th, 2015 @ 7:39am CDT

Bruticus is staying with the original members!!!

AND Rewind!

It is definitely a good time to be a Transformers fan!!!
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678694)
Posted by MrBlack on April 24th, 2015 @ 8:04am CDT
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678695)
Posted by peaces on April 24th, 2015 @ 8:05am CDT
soundwave has to be coming
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678697)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 24th, 2015 @ 8:19am CDT
koolkollectibleskhai wrote:TF haul that came in today. Great start to the weekend! Reviews coming soon :)

Dat Cyclonus! I'm jelly.
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678699)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 24th, 2015 @ 8:26am CDT
Stripes?! STRIPES?! STRIPES?!

Hasbro is gonna be doing a main line toy of one of the most obscurer than obscure characters in existence?!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678700)
Posted by Mindmaster on April 24th, 2015 @ 8:28am CDT
#allaboardthehypetrain

The thought of a long-overdue modernized Classicsified Bruticus makes me giggle with glee. Love the Fall of Cybertron version despite its misgivings, but it was frustratingly close to what I wanted but not quite. Sign me the **** up!

Calling it now: Wreck-Gar from Groove, but heavily retooled.

MrBlack wrote:So Buzzsaw was rumored before, and now we have Rewind and Stripes potentially on the way. Given that Soundwave is currently supporting the CW Motormaster/Optimus body in the IDW comics, I wonder if we'll be getting a new Soundwave next year with all his cassettes?

Does he? Don't think I've read those issues, then...
Re: Two New Designer Desk Videos Feature Menasor And Superion (1678706)
Posted by galvatron00 on April 24th, 2015 @ 8:37am CDT
Pretty awesome news.

So Wheeljack and Ironhide will join the Ultra Prime combiner with Sunstreaker, Mirage, and Hot Rod, with Trailcutter as an alternate? Remold First Aid into Ratchet..throw a Jazz repaint in there and maybe Sideswipe off of Streetwise..hopefully Prowl and maybe a Bluestreak..MAN!!

All of the G1 S1 Autbots swapping places in an Autobot combiner (with Legends class bots filling in as weapons/chest pieces)?! Who face DEVASTATOR at the end of the year?! :grin:

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #286 - They Might Be Giants
"They Might Be Giants"
Posted: Friday, October 8th, 2021

Buy "TRANSFORMERS RISE OF THE DECEPTICONS # 24 OCT 2020 NEW COVER A" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Autobot TAILGATE and GROUNDBUSTER" on EBAY
Buy "1985 SCRAPPER G1 TAKARA TRANSFORMERS CONSTRUCTICON (DEVASTATOR) HASBRO DECPTICON" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Western Star 5700XE Jada" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Action figures - Brand new sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Battle Masters Siege War CALIBURST Takara Tomy B" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Thunderhowl Figure 2021 MOC Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers R.I.D Firebot Dive Bomb & Instructions Evacuate Override Buzzsaw…" on EBAY