Universe Boxart on deviantART

Universe Boxart on deviantART

Saturday, April 5th, 2008 5:47am CDT

Categories: Toy News, People News
Posted by: Down_Shift   Views: 16,074

Marcelo Matere has updated his page to include the boxart for the new Universe line. We've seen these pictures on the packages, but now you can see them stand alone.

Powerglide

Tankor

Prowl

Sunstreaker

Discussion as always is welcome.

Credit(s): Marcelo Matere

This article was last modified on Saturday, April 5th, 2008 9:36am CDT

Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (672994)
Posted by Deadpool. on April 5th, 2008 @ 6:17am CDT
I think that the artstyle is pretty good, but the stiff poses kinda suck....

And Prowl looks... plump.
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (672997)
Posted by Glackie on April 5th, 2008 @ 6:40am CDT
Iconic? Angels are icons and they don't stand stiff. They should be in some sort of pose. Standing stiff like that takes away from the character of the character and the artist. #-o
Other than that they're very nice. :mrgreen:
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673013)
Posted by Zeds on April 5th, 2008 @ 7:28am CDT
I agree with the posters on the deviantART website. The poses should show more action. They look a little boring just standing there.
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673025)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 5th, 2008 @ 7:41am CDT
Sunstreaker looks the best in that quite boring pose, Prowl is looking chunky, Octanor is skinny, and Powerglide looks like he's on the 'roids and supplements a bit too much since G1...

But if that's what they wanted...
(Please refer to my previous statements about the state of packaging and boxart...)
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673035)
Posted by metalformer on April 5th, 2008 @ 7:56am CDT
They are all nice. But I would love to see more action in them (yes! I'm a purist!)... though I understand why would Hasbro want them like that. Today's packages shows very little of the figure's art so why bother drawing a pose anyway? Though I would use the whole art on the instructions or on the back or somewhere (Now I am talking trully puritan).
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673049)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 5th, 2008 @ 8:19am CDT
They kind of look like they are ill, or sick (faces)... :SICK:
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673108)
Posted by PhantomPrime on April 5th, 2008 @ 10:12am CDT
Cool, but if they had action poses it would be cooler
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673161)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on April 5th, 2008 @ 11:40am CDT
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673167)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 5th, 2008 @ 11:44am CDT
Down_Shift wrote:If you're wondering why these four looks so stiff, it was at the request of Hasbro. Do you think it makes them more iconic or do you think it holds back the artists creativity?

Discussion as always is welcome.

I like it. They look far better in an "At attention" pose, than the out of proportion, goofy, cominatcha of the previous lines. (G1 was notorious for this ridiculous practice.)

I really like it. At first I was put off because they were all in the same pose and I thought "Well, this is boring concept art."

But now that I know that it was Hasbro's idea and the way the figures are packaged, it's like a showcase in a box.

It works.
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673169)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 5th, 2008 @ 11:51am CDT
Autobot032 wrote:

Discussion as always is welcome.

It works.

Why is action/coming at you box art goofy? I thought it gave the imagination something to build on as to the characters personality, and/or abilities. I think the G1 designs are for the most part very attractive to the consumer and collector, but there are a few stinkers here and there.

It works to let us know what part of the robot mode is (which also displayed fully on the back). Ironically the toy picture on the back gives us more movement and character than the actual boxart, which may have been their point...doing the opposite of what they did with G1 where the toy poses were so static they needed the artwork to really sell the character, and thus the toy.
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673181)
Posted by UltraPrimal on April 5th, 2008 @ 12:10pm CDT
Iconic.
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673209)
Posted by 8 bit on April 5th, 2008 @ 1:01pm CDT
I think this all has to do with marketing and the cost of printing/finishing. What I mean is, by having similar poses, Hasbro will probably be able to save design time and might even have all the boxes cut out with the same die-cut instead of one that goes around each figure differently. And if they are all printed in the same area on the packaging, they can be enlarged to an optimal size with the poses they are in. I haven't seen the Universe packaging yet, so I may be totally off base.

Anyway, it looks like Hasbro is taking the Universe line seriously. That is some pretty good artwork.
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673295)
Posted by Bumblethumper on April 5th, 2008 @ 4:41pm CDT
I like.

They're imposing and iconic. The robust posing makes them look like towering robotic monoliths.

Sunstreaker is somehow a lot better than the others. Powerglide has droopy manboobs.
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673324)
Posted by Down_Shift on April 5th, 2008 @ 5:29pm CDT
To be honest, I liked Energons Box-art the best. It gave a little something else. I still like this work, but I'm afraid I'll get very bored with it fast. Almost anti-climactic.
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673379)
Posted by [JRX] on April 5th, 2008 @ 7:00pm CDT
Caelus wrote:Having them stand at attention doesn't really bother me, but the expressions on Octane, Prowl, and Sunstreaker are all identical, and all of them look like they just found out that someone peed in their last energon cube.

Agreed. The expressions are a bit odd... almost reminiscent of Pat Lee's trademarked "Dull Surprise." =P~
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673407)
Posted by Stormrider on April 5th, 2008 @ 8:20pm CDT
They all look like a bunch of fatties.
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673415)
Posted by Smokescreen85 on April 5th, 2008 @ 8:43pm CDT
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673422)
Posted by Cascadia on April 5th, 2008 @ 9:01pm CDT
Smokescreen GT wrote:The artwork looks good overall IMO. The lack of action in their poses doesn't bother me so much as their slack jaws. It's like they're surprised by something and their mouths are just hanging open in amazement. Oh, well. Still looking forward to picking up the figures themselves.

They are not half bad. I am still looking forward to picking them up in August.
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (673447)
Posted by polystyleneman on April 5th, 2008 @ 10:02pm CDT
Yeah, those stiff poses aren't doing anybody any favors.
Re: Universe Boxart on deviantART (674254)
Posted by TaiPoh on April 7th, 2008 @ 4:01am CDT
Depending on what the final packaging design will look like, their poses can either make or break it. I would rather have dynamic poses, but that's just me. Expressions could be better, if they are at that pose, wouldn't they look more focused rather than relaxed and slack? Finishing and style looks nice though, can't wait to see more.

Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 20 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Wheeljack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Collaborative: Back to the Future Gigawatt Pre Sale!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Beast Hunters Series Bumblebee & Starscream Hero Mashers Hasbro Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Steeljaw See pictures !" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Grimlock See pictures !" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots In Disguise Combiner Force Sideswipe & Bumblebee MIX LOT 3’" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Autobot Intel Ops: Blaster, Perceptor & Cassettes" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Insecticons 3-Pack (Bombshell, Kickback, Shrapnel)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction SNARL  dinobot Deluxe With Manual" on EBAY