Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1

Transformers News: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1

Wednesday, December 6th, 2017 1:24PM CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 8,187

Placing some actual marketing and promotion behind one of their future ventures, IDW Publishing's own Tumblr blog has uploaded some unlettered pages from the soon to begin Transformers vs The Visionaries crossover mini-series, written by Magdalene Visaggio and with art by Fico Ossio - in fact, the opening pages of issue #1!

The series, which will follow on directly from the events in First Strike, sees a reimagining of a number of characters, including Leoric and Virulina, which we see in the pages below... about to face, or encounter, Kup and Ironhide! Check out the images below, let us know what you think, and join the discussion in the Energon Pub.

Transformers Vs. The Visionaries #1
Cybertron has been invaded, and the Transformers encounter unwelcome guests at the heart of their planet.
Written by: Magdalene Visaggio
Illustrated by: Fico Ossio
A Cover by: Fico Ossio

Transformers News: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1

Transformers News: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1

Transformers News: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1
Credit(s): IDW

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925443)
Posted by SG Roadbuster on December 6th, 2017 @ 2:11pm CST
booooooo
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925445)
Posted by Nik Hero on December 6th, 2017 @ 2:19pm CST
Yaaaaaaaaaaa!
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925446)
Posted by snavej on December 6th, 2017 @ 2:19pm CST
Ironhide needs a hide upgrade.

I never got into Visionaries and I don't want to now, so I'll pass. The Transformers would crush these fleshies, just like they would crush almost anyone. :michaelbay:
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925453)
Posted by WreckerJack on December 6th, 2017 @ 3:35pm CST
Poor Ironhide and Kup's face just looks creepy to me.
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925455)
Posted by primalxconvoy on December 6th, 2017 @ 3:44pm CST

I agree that many of the humans are a bit "Mary Sue" in these comics. Most TFs would win, easily

Also, I still don't like the new Leoric, for the save reasons I didn't like the new Matt Tracker. I'm all up for character development, new characters or characters changing jobs/positions of authority, but extensive changes with no reasons why, just for the sake of it seem to be insensitive to the source material and fans of the original show, aesthetic, etc.

Wake me up when Leoric looks like this: - http://visionaries.wikia.com/wiki/Leoric
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925463)
Posted by Coptur on December 6th, 2017 @ 4:45pm CST
I'm with Primalxconvoy.
As with MASK this comes from Hasbro direct and IDW are happy to play the fall guy.

I think like with Marvel Transformers and GIJoe RAH they should try and continue the classic continuity in a limited series.

But ultimately I'm passing on IDW continuity until further notice.

As ever I'm happy for those that do still enjoy it.
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925501)
Posted by ricemazter on December 7th, 2017 @ 1:29am CST

Was any of this explained in first strike? I didn't bother finishing it and I don't care about spoilers.
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925507)
Posted by Va'al on December 7th, 2017 @ 2:55am CST
ricemazter wrote:Can someone explain to me what the premise of this series is? I get that the visionaries come from a world where science and technology isn't really a thing, so they need magic animal powers. Why are the transformers involved? Why isn't Kup hanging out with action man?

Yep, all explained in last issue of First Strike: Kreiger is actually Merklynn, and he uses the Talisman to 'terraform' Cybertron into New Prysmos. He only manages a little bit, but still - he wants to use it to remove technology and reinstate magic, blah blah blah. He also wakes up Unicron while he does it, because reasons.
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925517)
Posted by snavej on December 7th, 2017 @ 6:19am CST
Va'al wrote:

The best reasons are 'reasons'. [Probably a quote from Donald Trump.]

'A wizard did it'
Phrase originating from the Simpsons, used in response to fans pointing out plot holes, continuity errors, and any mistakes the animators or writers may've made.

Voice Actor: "Whenever you see something strange with continuity, a wizard did it."

Fan: "But when-"

Voice Actor: "A wizard did it."
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925520)
Posted by Va'al on December 7th, 2017 @ 6:31am CST
snavej wrote:This quote from The Simpsons via The Urban Dictionary seems appropriate for Visionaries:

'A wizard did it'

Fan: "But when-"

Voice Actor: "A wizard did it."

Slight tweak, if I may: A Hasbro wizard did it.
Their name is Orbsah. Obviously.
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925521)
Posted by primalxconvoy on December 7th, 2017 @ 6:40am CST
Va'al wrote:

'A wizard did it'

Fan: "But when-"

Voice Actor: "A wizard did it."

Slight tweak, if I may: A Hasbro wizard did it.
Their name is Orbsah. Obviously.

Just started watching "Agents of Shield", season 5, and they're taking about "magic" being responsible.

Seems legit.
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925530)
Posted by ThunderThruster on December 7th, 2017 @ 7:44am CST
primalxconvoy wrote:

Well played sir.
You must be a carpenter as you've hit many nails square on the head.
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925531)
Posted by primalxconvoy on December 7th, 2017 @ 7:52am CST
Cheers! This one went down better then my last attempt...
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925533)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on December 7th, 2017 @ 8:19am CST
Va'al wrote:

'A wizard did it'

Fan: "But when-"

Voice Actor: "A wizard did it."

Slight tweak, if I may: A Hasbro wizard did it.
Their name is Orbsah. Obviously.

Why always blame Hasbro when it was more likely an IDW decision considering they were the ones who came up with the Universe in the first place?
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925610)
Posted by Va'al on December 7th, 2017 @ 1:53pm CST
Daniel Adkins wrote:
Va'al wrote:

'A wizard did it'

Fan: "But when-"

Voice Actor: "A wizard did it."

Slight tweak, if I may: A Hasbro wizard did it.
Their name is Orbsah. Obviously.

Because it's funnier..?

To me, anyway.
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925964)
Posted by Va'al on December 9th, 2017 @ 12:57pm CST
Coming from the meanders of the online retailer that is Amazon.com, we have a listing for the next miniseries crossover from IDW Publishing, bringing together magic and technology in another confrontation - as we see the aftermath and consequences of the First Strike event in.. Transformers vs The Visionaries!

The collected trade in the listing is currently priced at $12.11 (retail price $17.99), with a due release date of August 2018. We have a synopsis blurb, and a provisional cover (this may be confirmed at a later date, but it is currently identical to the issue #1 cover, lower banner with both franchises' logo included). The series itself should be starting shortly, with Magdalene Visaggio on writing duties, and Fico Ossio on interior art - check it out here!

A word of warning for those who want to go into the story entirely unaware of the potential plots: the blurb below does contain some minor spoilers on factions and allegiances between the Prysmos and Cybertron characters, to skip it to avoid them.

[quote]Cybertron has been invaded. The Transformers encounter unwelcome guests at the heart of their planet--and they may not have their hosts' best interests at heart.

Refugees from another world, the Visionaries' startling magical abilities could make them powerful allies... or dangerous enemies. It turns out there are some of each. When Virulina, leader of the Darkling Lords, discovers that the Transformers are vulnerable to magic, she uses that weakness to try and gain control of Cybertron! Leoric of the Spectral Knight teams up with Ironhide to stop her, but they quickly find themselves facing not just the Lords, but all of New Prysmos itself.[/quote]

Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925965)
Posted by DeathReviews on December 9th, 2017 @ 1:07pm CST
I'm not up on what other media formats have been doing with the Visionaries, but wasn't "Darkstorm" the leader of the Darkling lords? Virulina never even had an action figure, they just kind of tossed her into the cartoon show so there could be a woman character on each team, right?
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1925983)
Posted by primalxconvoy on December 9th, 2017 @ 3:36pm CST
I've no problem with more female characters in this, but my beef is for the McGuffin of TFs being vulnerable to"magic". I don't buy that. In the TF universe, "magic" is really just old, unexplained science, such as the "matrix" or "sparks", etc.

Also, why not include some sort of connection between transforming? Biological beings using energy to transform into energon animals? Connections to Beast Wars/Machines? Battle Beasts?

Mind you, if IDW handled Battle Beasts, White Lio would be a female Jaguar in a pink wheelchair with the power to eat Transformers, or something.

Someone needs to do a scale, showing depictions of one character, or idea, drawn from "IDW" at the "far left" and "Kiss Players/Sikomofo" at the far right, with Marvel G1 and Dreamwave, etc somewhere in there, too". Then we can see where the balance is!
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1926035)
Posted by budmaloney on December 10th, 2017 @ 12:08am CST
Damn that is one violent cover, Ironhide always dies the most gruesome deaths.

Any way I guess getting a trade would be a better read than buying them individually. I was a bit lost reading First Strike, until I followed a reading order online to get the full story.

Basically the IDW Hasbrouniverse is season 3 of G1 cartoon. Humanity has caught up to the Cybertronians, there are many factions and the civil war as we knew it was over.
Re: Unlettered Preview of IDW Transformers vs The Visionaries #1 (1926040)
Posted by primalxconvoy on December 10th, 2017 @ 1:42am CST
Part of that convoluted plot and almost cryptic reading order is what keeps me away from comics like this. I just want the whole story, in order, in I've go. Imagine if TV shows were like that, with lots of different spinoff shows all on at the save time!
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 37%
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations combiner wars deluxe protectobot groove" on AMAZON
You save: 34%