Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images

Friday, November 20th, 2015 9:00am CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 87,720

About 6 weeks ago, we reported on a Walmart computer listing for a possible Generations Powermaster Optimus Prime figure. A poor quality leaked image popped up on the Internet yesterday. How about some official images of Titans Return Leader Class Powermaster Optimus Prime with Autobot Apex, courtesy of our friends at Hasbro!?! Check out the pics further down this page.

This version of the character no longer has a "Powermaster" engine, but instead continues the trend of Titans Return by having a head that transforms. As with Galvatron and Blaster, a "helmet" fits over the standard sized head. The Titan Masters gimmick, which homages the G1 Headmasters concept, enables the line to have large Transformers that transform into bases and vehicles that are compatible with the smaller Titan Masters figures.

If you're not familiar with Powermaster Optimus Prime, make sure you check out the original G1 version from 1988 by clicking here.

This toy is an extremely extensive retool of Combiner Wars Leader Class Ultra Magnus. During a conference call earlier this week, Hasbro stated that there's not much left of the Ultra Magnus toy in the Powermaster Optimus Prime retool.

Powermaster Optimus Prime will be shipped in a case assortment alongside Blaster, who was revealed last month at a Hasbro press event the night before New York Comic-Con. Both figures make up the Titans Return 2016 Wave 1 case assortment.

Transformers News: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images
Titans Return Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime 01 Robot

Titans Return Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime 02 Robot 2

Titans Return Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime 03 Vehicle

Titans Return Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime 04 Base

Titans Return Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime 05 Minifig APEX 2

Titans Return Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime 05 Minifig APEX

Credit(s): Hasbro

This article was last modified on Friday, November 20th, 2015 10:10am CST

Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742855)
Posted by o.supreme on November 20th, 2015 @ 9:12am CST
Just curious... I remember when I purchased the TRU 20th anniversary PM Prime with Apex Armor (aka God Ginrai), I thought Hasbro had officially renamed Hi-Q as Ginrai, to match Takara, although the bio & personality of Hi-Q remained intact, the name was just changed? Additionally in Dreamwaves MTMTE sourcebook the character bio was named Ginrai. The character has not technically appeared in any comics since Marvel, but I'd surmise the character will be named Ginrai when the toy does eventually get released.
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742859)
Posted by william-james88 on November 20th, 2015 @ 9:16am CST
carytheone wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Cobotron wrote:
ScottyP wrote: Once the right notches are in the right place, the friction on the hand hinge clamps it down further, and you're good to go.
I'm with Scotty here. I too am able to get his gun to stay put with no issues.
And Will, I just grabbed him and bent his elbow back and forth a couple of times and the gun didn't budge.

I am doing it wrong then.

Possibly, try wiggling it around a bit. You can kinda feel when it's right. Pretty snug acutally.

Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742861)
Posted by griftimus prime on November 20th, 2015 @ 9:20am CST
looks awesome. not a fan of the base mode and what it does to the legs but whatever.
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742863)
Posted by omega666 on November 20th, 2015 @ 9:25am CST
I can't unsee the hollow parts.
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742867)
Posted by Ravage XK on November 20th, 2015 @ 9:29am CST
omega666 wrote:I can't unsee the hollow parts.

Yep, same here. Otherwise I really like it. I didnt go for U Magnus as I had just bought the MP figure but Im tempted by this, even though I know the actual thing wont look this good.
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742879)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on November 20th, 2015 @ 9:59am CST
chuckdawg1999 wrote:I really hope this figure has the Powermaster component and the cab can transform. I hate when updates to figures take out the gimmicks that made them great.

It definitely won't be doing either of those, prepare for disappointment >:oP
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742883)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:13am CST
MemphisR56 wrote:I'm guessing it'll have been overhauled to integrate Hi-Q as a driver in vehicle mode, or possibly to allow him to attach into the front grille. What if he ends up being a headmaster?

Quoting the news post: "This version of the character no longer has a "Powermaster" engine, but instead continues the trend of Titans Return by having a head that transforms. As with Galvatron and Blaster, a "helmet" fits over the standard sized head."

I see no reason why Hi-Q can't still be a driver, but the powermaster gimmick seems to have been gutted >:oP
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742884)
Posted by carytheone on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:13am CST
william-james88 wrote:
carytheone wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Cobotron wrote:
I'm with Scotty here. I too am able to get his gun to stay put with no issues.

I am doing it wrong then.

I also have the Hasbrah version. Much like Scotty I can shake UM and the main gun holds fine. Must be YMMV thing. I do find the turducken gavel gun is a little squirrely though. But it's been banished to the box of misfit accesorries anyway.
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742885)
Posted by Agamemnon on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:16am CST
carytheone wrote:
william-james88 wrote:I am doing it wrong then.

Okay, these quotes need to be taken out of context. :-s

But, yeah, I'll add to this that once the gun is wedged in the palm of my UM, with that bottom ledge creating a friction fit in the hand, it's pretty solid. Now, over time, I can see this loosening up. So, maybe you slid in and out of the palm too many times?
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742886)
Posted by carytheone on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:17am CST
Agamemnon wrote:
carytheone wrote:
william-james88 wrote:I am doing it wrong then.

Okay, these quotes need to be taken out of context. :-s

Speaking of taking a quote out of context :lol:
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742888)
Posted by Gunmetal on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:19am CST
william-james88 wrote:It is snug. Fits pretty well but its when I bend those elbow ratchets that it falls. If I recall though, Cobotron has the takara version, it may be that it holds the gun better. Or it could be that my specific version is a bit faulty there. In the end, it is a very iffy way to hold weapons and it could be improved on.

It looks like they may have: :-?

Look at the two hinges in the middle of the trailer's roof. In front of each one is a small rectangular hole that looks like it could accommodate the handles of each black gun. This would make sense, since you could then mount them in their "proper" positions on the roof.

However, if this guy transforms the way I think he does, those holes are directly underneath Prime's fists, so the bottom of the handles probably go into them. If it's decently tight, you'd get a good grip no matter what the fingers do. :-?
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742891)
Posted by Black Hat on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:19am CST
Holy sh!t it's so HOLLOW

Those forearms, those thighs, those everything.

Ugh. Money saved I guess.
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742896)
Posted by Agamemnon on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:24am CST
carytheone wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:
carytheone wrote:
william-james88 wrote:I am doing it wrong then.

Okay, these quotes need to be taken out of context. :-s

Speaking of taking a quote out of context :lol:

That was a bit of a softball, wasn't it? ;) #canplaythestraightman

On TR PW OP, I am bummed they are removing the Powermaster gimmick. I thought it was one of the defining features. I'll still likely get him.

Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742906)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:31am CST

Addendum: Will the Japanese branch of Lightfoot Industry initiate the Godbomber Project? Did Grand send in the blue prints already? :-P
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742907)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:33am CST
fenrir72 wrote:Will Apex/Hi-Q (?) be a power battery or a "face" master? Either way instant buy!

Said in the news post: "This version of the character no longer has a "Powermaster" engine, but instead continues the trend of Titans Return by having a head that transforms. As with Galvatron and Blaster, a "helmet" fits over the standard sized head."
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742909)
Posted by Gunmetal on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:35am CST
Agamemnon wrote:And at this point, I'm not bothered by hollowness any more. Structural integrity and reduction of weight, especially in a leader figure, appeal to me.

Me neither. I honestly only notice it when I hear other people talk about it.

That said, I do find it odd that they left the inside of the forearms open, since had they left the bottom open instead, it would've been covered with the panels.
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742914)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:43am CST
Hellscream9999 wrote:

If you got the gist of my post, it's about the new background of ole Op. If you recall, original Powermaster Op concept actually would have come with "both" engine and headmaster gimmick. Then we got cost cutting and a useless head kibble. Roller/Buggy was supposed to be the head + the humanoid engine.

So is "Apex" Optimus or a separate entity with merged personalities. What happens to the "crest" that makes up the rest of the head? Is the story background on Op such that by merging with a "head" powers him up?

As for all the other complaints on being hollow, they propbably didn't own the original. Aside from the cab torso, almose everything in the Powermaster OP + Godbomber/ Apexbomber was "hollow"
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742921)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:52am CST
fenrir72 wrote:
Hellscream9999 wrote:

I have no idea, guess you'll have to wait for the comics, or whatever, to catch up to the titan wars fiction.

As for the hollowness, I only noticed that um was stupidly light, but I feel that it is now the default complaint to go to for people who feel the compulsion to b!tch about new figures.

(and, no, I didn't get the gist of your post, I wasn't around for G1 and never 'looked into' the older figures before)
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742928)
Posted by william-james88 on November 20th, 2015 @ 10:59am CST
carytheone wrote: Much like Scotty I can shake UM and the main gun holds fine. Must be YMMV thing. I do find the turducken gavel gun is a little squirrely though. But it's been banished to the box of misfit accesorries anyway.

Shaking is fine, its when I bend his ratcheted elbows. Do your stay put when you do that?
Re: Upcoming 2016 Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime Official Product Images (1742931)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on November 20th, 2015 @ 11:02am CST
Hm yeah the exposed hollowness does ruin the overall look somewhat. Anyone got tips on filling those in with a lightweight material? Kinda miss having the cab turn into a smaller Prime to interact with the base too. The robot as is does look decent apart from the already mentioned hollow parts.

Really don't like the Titan mini-figures much. Feel same way about Gen Brainstorm's lil buddy. The original headmasters just looked much better in general shape and appearance in their non-head mode. And this constant helmet thing going on with the larger figures just seems a bit of a cop-out. At least it looks a bit better than G1 Scorponok's awful attempt (the worst thing about an otherwise fun awesome at the time figure).

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #251 - Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill
"Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill"
Posted: Sunday, May 24th, 2020

Buy "Heroes of Cybertron ESPIONAGE TEAM Bumblebee + Spike Transformers Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Toys Studio Series 59 Deluxe Class Bumblebee Movie Shatter Action" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS G1 3RD PARTY MINI SPIKE FIGURE 4-PIECE SET IMPOSSIBLETOYSNET" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Shatter Figure Energon Igniter Bumblebee Movie 2018 New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series SHATTER Deluxe Class #40 Bumblebee Movie Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Robots in Disguise Predacon Cryotek Megatron Figure MISB" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Gernerations Cyber Battalion Series JETFIRE Walgreens Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS DINO SPARKERS OPTIMUS PRIME & GRIMLOCK VF HASBRO TF Brand NEW" on EBAY