US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly

Transformers News: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly

Friday, November 16th, 2018 8:59AM CST

Categories: Toy News, Sightings
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 17,608

Most G1 reissues this year from Hasbro were toys that had been reissued before, that is why a big novelty factor this time around was the packaging. This was the best way to get a min G1 toy in a sealed G1 box without spending a fortune. Many collectors were purchasing these to keep in the box as a show piece. So it was a bit dissapointing to see that Hot Rod was packaged in reverse. Luckily, Walmarts across the US are restocking the G1 reissues (already good news) and we have been getting reports that the Hot Rods being restocked come packaged the right way. You may have already seen that in your local store but we wanted to let everyone know just in case you had been waiting to pick it up or exchange/return your upside down one.

The particular sighting shown below is from the Chicago area, more specifically Rolling Meadows, Il. Also, for those who want to buy him online, it is available at Walmart.com at the reduced price of $26.97.

Transformers News: US Walmart Being Restoked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly

Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994267)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on November 16th, 2018 @ 9:50am CST
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994271)
Posted by o.supreme on November 16th, 2018 @ 10:03am CST
I never thought I'd say this, but my local Walmart actually had about the same amount of Hot Rods as that picture above, and 4 or 5 Starscreams, no Devastators though, One of my local stores did have some, but none since the initial sighting, and I've never seen any of the minibots in my area.

Somehow I doubt were are going to get more (as in new figures) of this Reissue line. Seems like a lot of other things, just a quick nostalgia cash grab for the holidays. Has anyone seen those small mock Arcade cabinets that are like $300? Those things are selling like crazy, though you only get 2-4 games depending on which type you purchase. If I had that kind of money, I'd rather build my own cabinet, that could load as many arcade games as I wanted onto it.
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994272)
Posted by william-james88 on November 16th, 2018 @ 10:05am CST

Between over saturating and not enough stock, I think this is the better option. You cant predict the perfect amount but at least every fan who wants one of these gets one. We dont even know if there are plans for more, this was basically to recreate the 80s TF spirit in theme with the retro vibes of the BB movie.
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994275)
Posted by Seibertron on November 16th, 2018 @ 10:19am CST
william-james88 wrote:

Not to mention that retailers are stocking up for the biggest shopping days of the year. Considering how fast the other reissues sold out and we are just left with Hot Rod, I'd say they are selling well and expect all of those Hot Rods yo be gone by the New Year.

Don't forget ... this is essentially Bumblebee Movie tie in product (because it's playing off the 80s nostalgia which I think is the only reason we are getting this stuff), which I don't see many of you talking about. The BB movie comes out in about 5 weeks, so i expect retailers to continue to stock up on movie related product.
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994295)
Posted by JasonM32 on November 16th, 2018 @ 11:26am CST
My local Walmarts have had a lot of these re-issues over the last couple months (except the minibots) and they are starting to sell out. I'm still really wanting the Bumblebees to start hitting the shelf. I assumed that they would eventually with the movie coming out. Fingers crossed.

I'm holding out hope that if these do well we'll get another wave. Soundwave?
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994301)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on November 16th, 2018 @ 12:02pm CST
Seibertron wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994318)
Posted by Seibertron on November 16th, 2018 @ 1:28pm CST
Rodimus Knight wrote:When they first started to appear in the stores locally, they sold out pretty fast, Hot Rod and Star Scream. I haven't seen any of the minibots in stores though. Devistator has been sitting around most places, and lately so have Starscream and Hot Rod.

I'd love to find a Starscream! I passed on him because there were so many at the same store as above when they first got them in last month, but I haven't seen a Starscream in stores since the last weekend of October, and that was at a Walmart in Gaylord, MI.
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994330)
Posted by dragons on November 16th, 2018 @ 3:53pm CST

good for people who want genreatrion one hot rod with target master will not be hard for them find in stores
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994342)
Posted by Emerje on November 16th, 2018 @ 5:55pm CST
dragons wrote:so hes not facing in proper direction its no crime 99.9% of people who buy this toy will take it out package to begin with put on shelf dont know whats worse over used favorite only word in new toy topic someone saying mistransfomrd or toy not put in package right way only to be taken out of box anyway.

Still on Hasbro's payroll I see. Always getting offended every time someone points out Hasbro mistransforming, and now mispackaging, their figures. You're right, it isn't a crime, but it is undeniable WRONG! Hasbro should be making their figures as attractive as possible and they deserve to be called out every single time they screw up. Why would you or anyone else defend them for making their on products as unattractive as possible? Don't you understand that in the long run you're only helping to hurt the franchise, you aren't helping anything which is why I feel the need to call you out every time you bring it up. You yourself even said you don't buy figures anymore and you only seem exist here to be offended so why are you here? These are expensive collectibles, people are going to want to keep them MIB because they look fantastic on a shelf as they are, but sticking them in the boxes backwards makes them less desirable (unless you collect box errors, but in this case it's so common it could actually hurt its value).

Emerje
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994377)
Posted by Seibertron on November 16th, 2018 @ 10:48pm CST
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Some of us, like myself, are very interested in knowing as much about the toy as possible. In the case of the dozen Hot Rods I saw at the Wal-Mart store pictured in the story, there were minor flaws in the chest sticker on each Hot Rod that I saw that I've never seen before on Hot Rod toys. I looked at a dozen of them looking for one without a flaw, and finally just gave up. If they weren't correctly facing in the package, I wouldn't be able to see the flaw. Again, shocked that there are flaws in the sticker, irked that there is one, yes I realize I'm so picky that I even see the flaws which many of you just overlooked or don't care about, but I'm extremely picky because of my macro photography for the site.

In addition, it's fricking packaged the damn wrong way! It's like getting an action figure packaged with his ass end facing forward. That would be wrong for an action figure, it's wrong for hot rod to be packaged backwards!
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994378)
Posted by steve2275 on November 17th, 2018 @ 12:49am CST
Rodimus Knight wrote:I hate to say it, but at this point I think they's over-saturated the market on this wave of G1 figures. Although I would like a properly facing Hot Rod in the box, but I'd rather like to see some other G1 figures done, Like Rodimus Prime, Cyclonus, Thundercracker & Skywarp.

yeah wheres their love
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1994670)
Posted by NeonPrime on November 19th, 2018 @ 6:44pm CST
LOL! So now "wrong facing" Hot Rods will be first release rarities worth three times as much on ebay...or vise versa :lol: :lol: :BANG_HEAD: Suddenly my OCD is in remission over the Funko Savage World Mumm-Ra on a Lion-O card I picked up from Game Stop just to have a complete series one set. :-P
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1998008)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 10th, 2018 @ 8:48am CST
Thanks to fellow Seibertron user, Carytheone, we have news of a special vote Hasbro is launching tomorrow through their Hasbro Pulse social media account (and also advertised on their Transformers Official Instagram account). The vote will determine which of four pre-selected G1 toys will be reissued in Walmart in the Spring of 2020! The choices are: Perceptor, Astrotrain, Thundercracker and Skywarp.

Here's the post as put on the Transformers Official Instagram account.

Transformers Official Instagram wrote:Which G1 classic bot do you want to see make a return to Walmart in Spring 2020? Cast your votes starting tomorrow in @HasbroPulse's story! A post shared by TRANSFORMERS (@transformersofficial) on Dec 10, 2018 at 6:00am PST

Remember, the voting begins tomorrow!

Who do you want to see reissued? Let us know in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews.
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1998010)
Posted by carytheone on December 10th, 2018 @ 8:51am CST

EDIT: ah, it's a bracket with only one release?
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1998011)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 10th, 2018 @ 8:53am CST
carytheone wrote:I can't help but wonder if these will be VS two packs, but why are two Seekers against each other? Weird.
Thundercracker did turn on the Decepticons and become an ally to the Autobots in IDW (even earning a punch to the face from Skywarp).
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1998012)
Posted by carytheone on December 10th, 2018 @ 8:55am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
Well I made an edit as you posted this. Maybe it's a bracket leading to a second and final vote?

Would they mix their G1 Kool-Aid with IDW Flavor Aid?
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1998013)
Posted by Randomhero on December 10th, 2018 @ 8:56am CST

Because Thundercracker has been a good guy in some fiction for years but also who cares if it means you can compete the original seeker trio.

Also it won’t be a two pack, it just decides the next two rereleases. Don’t need to start putting that crap in people’s heads. That’s how people thought mirage and impact or were being released even though no one anywhere said it would be a two pack.
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1998018)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 10th, 2018 @ 9:13am CST

Of these choices, the only one of these I'd actually pick if I felt absolutely compelled to pick one would be Astrotrain but ONLY if it were to come not in his original 1985 Hasbro retail deco but in the never-released prototype deco first seen in the 1985 toy magazines that the cartoon animators used for reference in coloring Astrotrain's character model, as detailed at the end in this video (beginning just after the 6:00 mark):

Yes, I am aware of that e-HOBBY exclusive "Astrotrain Proto Color Version" that was meant to evoke the prototype deco, but the shades and hues of the gray and purple were off.
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1998019)
Posted by william-james88 on December 10th, 2018 @ 9:17am CST
Sabrblade wrote:Frankly, I don't think any of these four are good reissue choices. Both Perceptor and Astrotrain have been reissued by Hasbro within the last decade, and making us having to pick just one between Skywarp and Thundercracker means that if either of them wins then we'll be one member short of completing the Seeker trio with Starscream.

Agreed
Re: US Walmart Being Restocked with G1 Hot Rod Reissue Facing Correctly (1998021)
Posted by ScottyP on December 10th, 2018 @ 9:24am CST
If it's cartoon colors Astrotrain that would be an excellent choice. Maybe one with a darker purple than the Takara attempt?

Anything else and this is a snoozer.

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #213 - How to Say Expensive and Mean It
"How to Say Expensive and Mean It"
Posted: Sunday, December 9th, 2018

Buy "Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise RID Autobot Sergeant Kup MOSC New Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of The Moon Cyberverse Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime RID Robots in Disguise Deluxe Knock Out Knockout Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Brawl Flip Shot Bot Shots Action Figure G1 Transformers 2012" on EBAY
Buy "Prowl Flip Shot Bot Shots Action Figure G1 Transformers Hasbro 2012" on EBAY
Buy "Bumblebee Flip Shot Bot Shots Action Figure G1 Transformers Hasbro 2012" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise RID Deluxe Class Airachnid Brand New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise RID Voyager Class Dreadwing Brand New" on EBAY