Transformers News: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham

Thursday, August 9th, 2018 3:17AM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 12,574

Coming up next month (in theory) from IDW Publishing is issue #23 of the ongoing comics series Transformers: Lost Light, and with it another cover from previous collaborators on the franchise and its comic books: Geoff Senior!

Courtesy of Previews World, and notified via news staff WreckerJack, the cover has been mirrored below, and seems to follow on from the variant for issue #22 - which you can see in our database here - in which Rodimus and Megatron are 'arguing but not fighting' with this time a very fighty Tyrest and Pharma. Check it out!

(W) James Roberts (A) Jack Lawrence (CA) Geoff Senior
The final battle is here! Bots will live, bots will die, and the craziness can only increase! We're halfway through a finale six years in the making! And if you've ever loved a bot, you won't want to miss this.

In Shops: Sep 05, 2018

Credit(s): Previews World
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977479)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 9th, 2018 @ 3:31am CDT
I can't help but notice they put the advertising on the cover about unicron yet, unless this issue ties into it, the ll finale has nothing to do with it.
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977481)
Posted by Amelie on August 9th, 2018 @ 4:22am CDT
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977491)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on August 9th, 2018 @ 7:24am CDT
Amelie wrote:Given how long Senior has been out of comics - this cover looks leaps better than some of his Regeneration One covers, so hopefully he's more into the swing of things again.

Actually I think some (not all) of his Regen One covers are far better than this one (though this one's nice too) but generally he's still a great artist and still produces TF comic art I find far more appealing than anybody else. Him actually doing several pages worth of actual comic panels was the only reason I bought that Requiem of the Wreckers (cos, like just about every other IDW G1 story I've read, the story itself did nothing for me). Many of his convention commissions are great too.
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977495)
Posted by Randomhero on August 9th, 2018 @ 7:50am CDT
So can we address the elephant in the room?

The timeframe for this series. Holy crap is it bad.

This arc is taking place 4 weeks after Dying if the light which took place 3 weeks before everything else. So in one week All hail optimus, titans return, revolution, revolutionaries, first strike, the entirety of Optimus Prime, requiem of the wreckers, and till all are one took place. Also in the span of time the scavengers made time to stop off on earth during revolution.

Yeeeeeeeah umm no?
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977498)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 9th, 2018 @ 8:17am CDT
The timeline does seem very strange...can we just blame it on shock wave?
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977501)
Posted by ScottyP on August 9th, 2018 @ 8:23am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:
MaverickPrime wrote:I don't understand the "Hasbro may have spoiled it" with the Prime Master, could someone please explain to me what they meant?

Basically the Prima prime master symbol kinda looks like Rungs face, glasses and all. This is a spoiler of course as Adaptus called out Rung as Primus
Bingo! I thought it was weird that the Prima symbol for PotP looked like a face with glasses, especially since Alchemist Prime is associated with glasses over in the Aligned continuity.

It is also possibly a coincidence and the Prima symbol is meant to evoke something else and this is just my own reading of an ink blot :)
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977503)
Posted by Randomhero on August 9th, 2018 @ 8:37am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:The timeline does seem very strange...can we just blame it on shock wave?

The one thing you can probably blame on is the Warren but it still doesn’t add up when it comes to the scavengers and Fort Max and his team.
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977527)
Posted by Randomhero on August 9th, 2018 @ 10:57am CDT
ScottyP wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:

I don’t see it. I always thought it looked like Primas chest.
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977538)
Posted by ArmadaPrime on August 9th, 2018 @ 11:22am CDT

I'm not sure who the fifth is- possibly Megatron, who wasn't around for the magnificence to mention last issue, or possibly Pharma/Adaptus as he's already in a new body. I'm also not sure of the assignment exactly. Rung would presumably keep Primus, Rodimus would get Solomus or Primus, Ratchet would get Adaptus or Epistimus, the others I'm not too sure about. Crucially though I think this would be a symbiotic possession rather than a parasitic one; the bots wouldn't have to die. Think less "stealing your body" and more "guardian spirit".

Now what gets interesting is that the Magnificence's four are currently split up. On the ship right now with the architect are Rod, Ratchet, Rung, Nautica, and Whirl. This kinda leads to what I think might actually happen, as a sort of altered version of the Magnificence's plan:
Rung keeps Primus
Rodimus gets Solomus
Ratchet gets Adaptus
Nautica gets Epistimus
Whirl gets Mortilus
Those assignments actually line up a lot better character-wise imo!

It's a little far-fetched, but makes sense to me at least :-P (of course, so did my two previous nonsense LL theories. But shhhh :-$ )
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977542)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on August 9th, 2018 @ 11:30am CDT
ArmadaPrime wrote:I think that the Magnificence's four key players (Rodimus, Ratchet, Rung, and Tailgate) are meant to serve as new hosts for the Guiding Hand.

Rung keeps Primus
Rodimus gets Solomus
Ratchet gets Adaptus
Nautica gets Epistimus
Whirl gets Mortilus
Those assignments actually line up a lot better character-wise imo!

And I agree with Amelie about the cover. It looks really good, better than Senior's Regeneration One stuff. That series belonged to Guido Guidi as far as covers went.
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977545)
Posted by Randomhero on August 9th, 2018 @ 11:37am CDT
ArmadaPrime wrote:Okay, so as of ZeroWolf's comment, I think we're out of frontpage-spoiler territory. At least, that's what's showing on my laptop. As such, on with the latest round of my increasingly absurd theorising!

Rung keeps Primus
Rodimus gets Solomus
Ratchet gets Adaptus
Nautica gets Epistimus
Whirl gets Mortilus
Those assignments actually line up a lot better character-wise imo!

I think you’re missing the point. Yes they have some significance but it’s not about the guiding hand taking on new representatives. The guiding hands has always been those people. It’s not about passing a torch, they don’t remember who they are because of information creep.

I think a bigger possibility is those characters are the same as the guiding hand but have to be sent in time to become the guiding hand...or the Magnificance just thinks they’re important. More than likely that.
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977547)
Posted by ArmadaPrime on August 9th, 2018 @ 11:49am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:Not as far-fetched as you might think. I don't think it'll happen exactly that way, but it is a plausible theory. ;)^ And it has kind of a Jinchuriki vibe from Naruto Shippuden. :lol:

And I agree with Amelie about the cover. It looks really good, better than Senior's Regeneration One stuff. That series belonged to Guido Guido as far as covers went.

Thats exactly the kind of vibe I was meaning, yes! I was trying desperately to remember a good example of it in other fiction but you got it in one ;)
I think the fact that Tyrest/Solomus managed to spacebridge into Adaptus' mind demonstrates that there's not only a link between them, but definitely something a little more supernatural to them than your regular bot!

And agreed, that cover is ruddy fantastic.
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977549)
Posted by Caelus on August 9th, 2018 @ 12:06pm CDT
Prima Rung.jpg
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977552)
Posted by ScottyP on August 9th, 2018 @ 12:26pm CDT
^ That's a more literal connection than I'd ever (intend to) suggest ;) Started and ended at "glasses" for me, and I'm realizing now I probably should have left that in a discarded draft :lol:
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977596)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 9th, 2018 @ 4:03pm CDT

Rung keeps Primus
Rodimus gets Solomus
Ratchet gets Adaptus
Nautica gets Epistimus
Whirl gets Mortilus
Those assignments actually line up a lot better character-wise imo!

You know I was wondering the same thing, but then I went further...
What if...the guiding hand aren't going anywhere, though they are missing a finger, but they need counterparts, and the magnificence's five are going to be deputised...I mean most beings have two hands right?

I'm of course dead wrong, as I some how lack the ability to fully guess what Roberts is going to do (not a bad thing).
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977868)
Posted by ArmadaPrime on August 10th, 2018 @ 6:34pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:You know I was wondering the same thing, but then I went further...

Oooohh, I like that! Something like the Guiding Hand and the Following Hand, perhaps?
And I wouldn't worry too much about Mortilus, according to legend the Hand brought him back from death once before anyway...
I really do feel like one of our two theories has gotta be right! Naturally, I fully expect to be proven wrong within two pages of #23 :lol:
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977875)
Posted by Caelus on August 10th, 2018 @ 7:50pm CDT
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1977908)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 11th, 2018 @ 2:27am CDT
ArmadaPrime wrote:

:lol: still speculation is fun as well ;-) even if the truth is something we never saw coming!
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1978241)
Posted by JereRB2ND on August 13th, 2018 @ 10:37am CDT
Caelus wrote:Given the events in Optimus Prime, do the Thirteen exist in the Functionist universe?

The two universes don't diverge until Megaton's creation/death. The Thirteen had already abandoned the planet at that point. (excepting Alpha Trion). Since the Functionalists largely kept their shenanigans to Cybertron, it stands to reason that the Thirteen of this universe would be in whatever state they are in ours.
Re: Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #23 by Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham (1978304)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 13th, 2018 @ 12:34pm CDT
...but wait a moment...does that mean there's a second shockwave running around the functionist universe...along with a second unicron? After all those things are all fixed in place after the divergence point

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #210 - Super Cars
"Super Cars"
Posted: Sunday, October 21st, 2018

Buy "Toys R Us Exclusive Transformers the Last Knight Infernocus Combiner Quintessa" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Novastar Firestar combiner" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Power Of The Primes Vector Prime Mini Figure Hasbro NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Lot Cybertron Backstop BM Nightviper Combiner Wars Rodimus" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Vintage G1 Swoop Dinobots 3D Custom Print Complete 1985 Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Swindle Deluxe Figure Complete" on EBAY