Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 1:18pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 14,288

Some more Optimus Prime news from IDW Publishing comes in the form of some cover art for issue #7, tentatively due in May, courtesy of both artist Kei Zama's Twitter account and the PreviewsWorld listing here. Zama has included clean lineart, plus Josh Burcham's coloured version, and Andre Griffith takes on the other cover seen for the issue, à la Thundercracker - check them out below!

With the Junkion invasion resolved peacefully, Optimus Prime takes a moment to plan the Autobot's next move on earth.

Transformers News: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama/Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith

Credit(s): Kei Zama, PreviewsWorld

Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1877448)
Posted by Kurona on April 26th, 2017 @ 1:31pm CDT
That beach cover is the friggin' best. I love Thundercracker so much
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1877450)
Posted by Randomhero on April 26th, 2017 @ 1:46pm CDT
My god...that damn dog has floaties...
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1877481)
Posted by DeadCaL on April 26th, 2017 @ 4:19pm CDT
I like the beach cover, but eeesh, is that pain or joy on her face? :-?
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1877484)
Posted by Va'al on April 26th, 2017 @ 4:24pm CDT
DeadCaL wrote:I like the beach cover, but eeesh, is that pain or joy on her face? :-?

I like Andrew Griffith. I really do. I have more art by him than anyone else in my collection.
But his human faces sometimes are just.... off.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1877486)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 26th, 2017 @ 4:54pm CDT
BUSTER HAS FLOATIES
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1877759)
Posted by Va'al on April 27th, 2017 @ 3:12pm CDT
This is fun. Not news, but definitely fun.
Burcham playing with colours.

Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1881348)
Posted by william-james88 on May 12th, 2017 @ 11:42pm CDT
iTunes has a preview up for the upcoming Optimus Prime 7 comic.

Here is a description followed by the preview, enjoy!

Description
With the Junkion invasion resolved peacefully, Optimus Prime takes a moment to plan the Autobot's next move on Earth.

Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1882205)
Posted by WreckerJack on May 16th, 2017 @ 11:32pm CDT
Preview World has posted Transformers: Optimus Prime #8 incentive cover and subscription cover B. We have posted them below so you can have a look to decide which cover you'd like before they become available.

The summary tells us that Jazz will have a leading role in this issue:
“Jazz confronts his past-and the Autobot’s future-in front of millions of television viewers. But will he make the people of Earth understand Optimus Prime’s mission… or turn against it?”

The incentive cover has Optimus Prime and the Subscription cover features Jetfire. these comics will be available on June 14th, 2017.

Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1882234)
Posted by Kurona on May 17th, 2017 @ 5:34am CDT
You know when you've recently fallen in love with a character who hasn't had the best past and/or recent history, so seeing them smiling in a peaceful situation by themselves doing something they probably enjoy makes you happy?

God I love that Jetfire cover.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1882379)
Posted by Va'al on May 17th, 2017 @ 3:06pm CDT
This is a really interesting analysis of Zama's layout work.
http://refinedrobotco.blogspot.it/2017/ ... -zama.html

Zama deploys some of those tools mentioned to work within the tight spaces of the page, to create tension and demonstrate space or a lack thereof. I want to break down two of my favourite pages from issue two. The interrogation of Jetfire by Prowl, two pages, one room.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1882968)
Posted by Va'al on May 20th, 2017 @ 5:34am CDT
With the embargo broken by the regular sites, we can also share the preview directly from IDW for next week's Transformers comic Optimus Prime #7! Check out the full preview below, and let us know what you think of the book so far - while we prepare the review for its release!

Optimus Prime #7
John Barber (w) • Priscilla Tramontano (a) • Kei Zama (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1882993)
Posted by Va'al on May 20th, 2017 @ 1:10pm CDT
With issue #7 hitting the stands next week, artist Kei Zama has shown off (after Previews World revealed it) the art for the following book in the Optimus Prime ongoing series from IDW Publishing - in which Casey Coller and JP Bove take on art duties! Lineart by Zama, and colours by Josh Burcham, you can check it out mirrored below.

(W) John Barber (A) Casey W. Coller (CA) Kei Zama
Jazz confronts his past-and the Autobot's future-in front of millions of television viewers. But will he make the people of Earth understand Optimus Prime's mission... or turn against it?

Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1883024)
Posted by steve2275 on May 20th, 2017 @ 5:20pm CDT
love all the arts
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1883037)
Posted by budmaloney on May 20th, 2017 @ 6:33pm CDT
I think the IDW Transformers series stopped being worth it as Combiner Wars started and the Titans Return finished. They felt so all over the place and IDW topped it off with Revolution which made no sense to me and just completely divested me from the series. MTME was the only thing I found made sense. It may be just me, but fragmenting the characters and stories with the Hasbro Universe became really confusing and difficult to follow. I haven't read Optimus Prime, and I'm not sure I will, but if Pyra Magna becomes the next leader of the Autobots or carries the matrix, I'd probably jump in. For now it's the long wait for Lost Light. Keep going strong Roberts.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1883039)
Posted by Kurona on May 20th, 2017 @ 6:40pm CDT
I'd say that's a shame because if anything, Optimus Prime and Till All Are One have managed to supersede and be much better than their predecessors; creating probably some of the best Transformers stories period. Till All Are One in particular is what I'd consider to be the greatest of the three ongoings this year, but Optimus Prime is not far behind at all.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1883040)
Posted by budmaloney on May 20th, 2017 @ 6:48pm CDT
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1883042)
Posted by Kurona on May 20th, 2017 @ 6:56pm CDT
budmaloney wrote:The very last comic I read other than Lost Light, was the Titans Return Sentinel Prime and Optimus Raising Metroplex from the ground. So if I wanted to jump in, should I go with TAO since you recommend it? Then go Optimus? But won't I be lost with the whole ROM , Micronauts thing? Or will there be a trade coming out that consolidates the important connections.

Right now the Hasbro Universe has been done how a shared universe should in theory be done best - you don't need to read ROM or GI Joe or whatever to follow what's going on in the one comic you actually want to read. They will provide extra details and context on what's going on in other places in the world; but thankfully, all the comics - including Optimus Prime - can act independently of each other. Essentially all you need to know is that G.I. Joe has replaced EDC - and even then the team seen interacting with Prime's team is largely made up of characters that were in ex-RiD; Spike, Talon etc.
So yeah, you can jump right in. You could read Revolution for a bit of extra context if you want, but to be honest it's not a very good story and I'd recommend just looking at a wikipedia article summary instead.

Come to think of it, your concerns aren't exactly uncommon - I'm not surprised that Revolution would make you hesitant to jump in, nor can I blame you; shared universe deals are always a bit iffy especially when a lot of people have grown tired and fatigued of constant events in a lot of comics. Maybe I should write up an article on this... :-?
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1883731)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:39pm CDT

I think those 6 go well together, and I'm glad the technobots are actually going to be in a comic again.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1883734)
Posted by Kurona on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:46pm CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:This comic has made me really like Jetfire. I love what they did with his background, and this is where he and the Technobot's relationship starts! Yay!

It's also kind of nice that they're continuing the theme of use-the-dead-guys in flashbacks. First Outback, then Horri-Bull, and now Nosecone. It's like Skids' flashbacks in MTMTE #48 and #49 where all those dead Predators and such showed up - I'm not sure if I should look into any deeper meaning here or if it's just kind of a cool thing.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Optimus Prime #7 by Kei Zama / Josh Burcham, Andrew Griffith (1883738)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:51pm CDT
Kurona wrote:

we'll say cool thing. Cool things are cool

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Loudmouth" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOTCON 2013 MACHINE WARS SUNSTORM #A" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer Set- Blurr, Boulder, Chase" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Megatron Figure Sealed AA173" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC-S32 BLACKJACK & HYPERDRIVE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Powertrain & Highjump Siege War for Cybertron Micromaster" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers  Shattered Glass   #4  * First Print *    Cover A     NEW!!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Optimus Prime Figure Sealed Z943" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers WFC-S44 Siege Battlemasters Singe War for Cybertron Target" on EBAY