Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence

Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence

Thursday, March 15th, 2018 3:47pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 12,176

As issue #16 of IDW Publishing's ongoing comics series Transformers: Lost Light hit the stands (digital and less so) this week, we also have some more artwork for the upcoming issue #17 - the second part of this new story arc - for the two Jack Lawrence variant covers that will feature on the issue: one with a very ascending Ultra Magnus, and one with a defiant Rodimus in the faces of the Guiding Hand. Check them out below, and join the conversation in the Energon Pub!

Transformers: Lost Light #17

(W) James Roberts (A/CA) Jack Lawrence
"The Everlasting Voices," Part 2! Hot Rod and company are dead. The Allspark is real. And Hot Rod is about to meet his maker(s)! Oh, Primus! Somebody stop him!
In Shops: Apr 25, 2018
SRP: $3.99

Transformers News: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence

Credit(s): PreviewsWorld

Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946385)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on March 15th, 2018 @ 6:07pm CDT
Looking at that Magnus cover, I'm getting flashbacks of TFA Prowl.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946392)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 15th, 2018 @ 6:42pm CDT
Nice covers there, so aside from if this is actually happening or not, is roddy about to his his feet where his mouth is?
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946398)
Posted by Ironhidensh on March 15th, 2018 @ 7:03pm CDT
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946442)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on March 15th, 2018 @ 9:32pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:Out of all the Transformers, Rodimus is probably the only one with enough ego, and enough decency, to hold his own in a convo with the gods.

Just imagine Sky Lynx. :lol:
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946462)
Posted by Seibertron on March 16th, 2018 @ 12:19am CDT
MagicDeath wrote:

Just imagine Sky Lynx. :lol:

He'd say something conceited to the powers-that-be. You know he would!
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946487)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on March 16th, 2018 @ 6:58am CDT
Funny aside,

As I've mentioned, I am currently collecting a TF part-work. Covering all Transformers comics from Marvel to IDW. The newest two arrived today: IDWverse - Titan's Return and The Dying of The Light. Now I haven't read anything recent outside of this part-work since Death of Optimus Prime, so this collection is very informative. But I digress, it was the cover image for the MTMTE story that amused me....

Image ;)
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946501)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 16th, 2018 @ 8:31am CDT
You the fact they went with g1 design cyclonus and not how he looks for idw? I've seen it many times on collections like that. Although I do question the release list of books like that...I thought a release order would be best as dying of the light wraps up a few storyline from MTMTE
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946503)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on March 16th, 2018 @ 8:35am CDT
Easy to forget how good the original Cyclonus design looks, minus the Sunbow "make up".
The release order of these books seems very random. One of the previous books to these, was part two of Dark Cybertron. A lot of context was missing from that one too.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946678)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on March 17th, 2018 @ 9:32am CDT
So I finished reading The Dying of The Light. The first story I've read that gives me a flavour of what MTMTE/LL is all about.

I read in voices IE Cullen for Prime, Angel for Cyclonus, Nelson for Hot Rod, Stack for Ultra Magnus etc. It adds to my immersion if I can authentically hear what I'm reading in one of those voices. This is my first problem with MTMTE.

Now I understand I am missing a lot of context, so I can't really judge the story, setting etc. Yet when it comes to the dialogue, I take issue. Auto-Megatron doesn't sound like Welker, he sounds like Kaye. Not a bad thing as I think David Kaye was a better Megatron, voice and in characterisation. However, -Ations Megatron does sound like Welker. So you can see my disparity. This applies across the board. So far in everything post DoOP I've read, the only one that sounds authentic is Prime.

Second issue being one from a Con Fan focused viewpoint. Everyone looks the same! I don't know if this was by design or intention. The close up I just looked at, was that Getaway? Or Brainstorm? Or Chromedome? or Rewind? About mid-story I struggled to tell which was the Blue one or the Red one, Swerve or Tailgate? Doesn't really help get someone invested in a book when you can only tell a handful of distinct main characters apart from the rest of the cast.

Off to read Titan's Return now...
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946782)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on March 18th, 2018 @ 2:19am CDT
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946784)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 18th, 2018 @ 2:48am CDT
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946795)
Posted by Va'al on March 18th, 2018 @ 5:01am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I still find it a bit odd that they aren't even attempting to do a tie in for potp. I mean in a way I don't mind as it let's barber and Roberts get on with their stories but does this mean that hasbro are going to let idw decide if they want to provide a link to the toy line?

I mean, there's plenty of Primes action going down in Optimus Prime, after the introduction in TAAO. And Alpha Trion has been around since forever, with Micronus showing up in Micronauts and Revolution. Maybe it's not a direct tie-in like Titans Return, but the elements are there!
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946806)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on March 18th, 2018 @ 6:44am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:"Dying of the Light" and "Titans Return." 2 stories that disappointed me. They both started very good and the 2nd half just took a nosedive. I will say that I have yet to read TAAO volume 2, which is supposed to be the conclusion of the TR story. From what I understand the story gets better somewhat. I think Roberts wrote the garbage parts of TR, and it was the disintegration of the story in DotL that made me realize just how inadequate a TF writer Roberts really is.

So yeah, finished reading Titans Return.. Lame. The book starts off with a story of how the Combaticons first formed into Bruticus. Is it just me or have the Gestalts been heavily nerfed since their introduction via Monstructor? Bruticus, noted for being one of the strongest and most heavily armoured of all Transformers, is defeated by one shot in the eye in a single panel. :BANG_HEAD:

Then we have the return of "fan favourite" Sentinel Prime :???: A bit player in Megatron: Origin, now given the same one dimensional motivation as virtually every other "Evil Prime". Oh he's also a Headmaster.. Even though I seem to recall that tech being introduced on Earth, via Scorponok.

Also returning from the dead (ala LSoTW) is Fort Max, apparently? Yet another rushed ending closes this one out too. Off panel 'death by smoke stack' one of the laziest, most plot convenient tropes there is.

I am really glad I didn't spend actual money following RiD/OP/MTMTE/LL... If these stories are an indicator, they're better than McCarthy and Costa, but not by much. It's really disappointing how far the quality of IDWverse has fallen since the -Ations. :(
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946813)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 18th, 2018 @ 7:41am CDT

Sentinel became a headmaster because it had to tie in to the titans return toy line where sentinel was a wave one voyager (basically he was there to get another use out of the mold before astrotrain was released)

As for change in combiners, this is because of the shift, we had nexus prime (now the first combiner) and his enigma of combination (as seen on the current grimlock, starscream, elita 1 and hunn grr figures) which is what created defensor, menasor, skyreign and the girl combiner whose name embrassingly escapes me at this moment. Superion was created through megatron experiments (same with a newer version of devestator which had prowl as the head, this was awesome btw) you could argue the power difference as jihaxus making monstructor much stronger through repeated experiments. Though I have no doubt if monstructor was to reappear then he would be depowered compared newer combiners
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946870)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on March 18th, 2018 @ 2:22pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Fort was alive all the time in MTMTE, as he's reckless when he runs into overlord again (a separate encounter from before dying of the light and after lsotw)

As I've said, I miss out on a lot of context and backstory given how the part-work is realised but what I read was average at best. A sign of a good story is that it can be read and enjoyed outside of context, as I did with LSoTW. Neither of these stories is even remotely close to the standard of Wreckers.

Admittedly I understand comprises always have to be made to a comic by mandate of the license holder IE why Pretenders and Action Masters (and other bad ideas) came into being in the G1 comic. I accepted that being branded 'Titans Return' a tie-in the story wasn't going to be good. It's often disappointing to be right in that scenario.

Looking back, the Gestalts felt that Mandate more than most. Being usurped by the New toy BUT, for Bruticus to be KO'd with one gunshot to the eye is just bad. Didn't help that the art was equally as atrocious. It reminded me of the art from the Primacy trilogy, which I can't stand.

I'm told the next book in the part-work is from Dreamwave, of which I know next to nothing. A previous book in the collection released "War Within", which was alright but really basic.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1946872)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 18th, 2018 @ 2:32pm CDT
Oh the bruticus one shot thing would have been more annoying if it had been to his side or arm but it was a head shot, so I'm okay with it. Yeah hasbro certainly got more involved with idw as time went on and it shows. I don't know if it was because of how well idw were doing or other reasons. As for stories being able to be read out of continuity it all depends on the story as why would anyone be invested in Tarn without knowing about him previously, time being taken to develop him, and to be a end point for megs story arc.

You may like dreamwave you may not. Some on here swear by them, others don't. Will be interesting to see which you fall into.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1947658)
Posted by starfishy on March 22nd, 2018 @ 10:57pm CDT
hello, new member here.

watched the old cartoons as a kid and read a few of the comics. That was many years ago, but recently my curiosity was renewed and decided to pick up a transformers comic.

I found the first TPB for MTMTE, read it in a day, then went to buy the next couple trades, I know that’s from several years ago, but I understand that this Lost Light series is a continuation, correct? Anyways I have some catching up to do, I’m thinking I’ll just pick up the latest of LL at the same time I’m reading through the MTMTE series.

Really enjoying it though, excellent storytelling and characters. really like the focus on lesser used characters, the tailgate stuff was hilarious, and great to see swerve, whirl, skids and cyclonus. Good mix of humor and adventure, good art, all around just good comics. Looking forward to seeing what happens with Rodimus and his crew.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1947681)
Posted by Va'al on March 23rd, 2018 @ 4:26am CDT
starfishy wrote:hello, new member here.

Lost Light is indeed the continuation, but it's actually exactly the same series under a different title. Marketing/editorial reasons. Your approach sounds like you might spoil some things for yourself, but other than that, I see nothing wrong with it! :D
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1947794)
Posted by starfishy on March 23rd, 2018 @ 3:39pm CDT

Really glad I found this comic, I’m part way though the 2nd TPB of MTMTE.
Re: Variant Covers for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #17 by Jack Lawrence (1947811)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on March 23rd, 2018 @ 4:56pm CDT
starfishy wrote:ok, so it’s an actual continuation then. Maybe I will just wait for the trades then and finish MTMTE first. I go back and forth with whether I want to get TPBs or single issues a lot.

Really glad I found this comic, I’m part way though the 2nd TPB of MTMTE.
Personally, I think MTMTE is better when read in TPBs. Makes for a better read, because you get all the parts of a story arc at the same time, so you can read through from start to finish. Get the individual issues only if you're a completionist. Have fun with it, MTMTE is pretty good, the 1st 40 issues, anyway. Then it kinda went downhill, in my opinion, but I guess you will make up your own mind. I think the other series, titled Robots in Disguise, then reduced to simply Transformers, is the better story.

Welcome to Seibertron.com! :D

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers IF EX-26R Racing Bros. Retrograde (Runabout)(Runamuck)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime RID Arcee Deluxe Class NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers HUB Dark Of The Moon Cyberverse: MEGATRON (Unopened) Series 1 003" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BUMBLEBEE CYBERVERSE ADVENTURES DELUXE SOUNDWAVE w/ LASERBEAK MIB" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Kingdom War For Cybertron Trilogy LEADER CLASS OPTIMUS PRIME NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers IRONWORKS Earthrise War for Cybertron Trilogy Hasbro brand new" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robot Academy Medix the Doc-Bot Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Quintesson Judge Allicon Sharkticon Lot" on EBAY