Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12

Transformers News: Variant Covers Revealed for  IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12

Thursday, November 30th, 2017 12:49AM CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 8,584

Thanks to Previews World, we now have images of two more covers for Transformers: Lost Light #12. The B cover is done by Nick Roche while the 10 incentive cover is done by Livio Ramondelli. Issue 12 is due next month right after Christmas and will feature the third and final part of the Mutineers Trilogy, which is all about finally getting back to the Lost Light, proper. Hopefully the presence of Megatron on the cover means something.

Here is the solicit for this particular issue:

(W) James Roberts (A) Jack Lawrence (CA) Livio Ramondelli
NO TURNING BACK! Getaway has crossed one too many lines and made one too many enemies. Hunted down on his own ship, the master manipulator has one last trick of his sleeve-something so shocking, so audacious, that it would put the most evil Decepticon to shame. No one is safe as the Mutineers Trilogy reaches its jaw-dropping climax.
In Shops: Dec 27, 2017

Credit(s): previews
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924243)
Posted by WreckerJack on November 30th, 2017 @ 1:18am CST

(I need to catch up on my Lost Light, have had a lot of stuff going on lately. Hopefully later in the week I can sneak off and grab them.)
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924250)
Posted by ArmadaPrime on November 30th, 2017 @ 3:10am CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:As a small side note to end my post, I don't know why, but the political commentary from Roberts this issue made me twitch ever so slightly.

Honestly likewise. I don't disagree with it and have appreciated it before, but the direct quoting of both "fake news" and "strong and stable" was a little too on the nose for my taste, especially as whenever they're used by anyone but Trump/May now it's generally as a joke. Then again as the review says, perhaps in the current climate throwing subtlety to the wind is somewhat appropriate...
Va'al wrote:Are Getaway and Atomizer really That Good at manipulation (verbal, mental, any other way)
...
Also, you make me raise a point I wanted to mention: Atomizer.
Atomizer is a dirtbag. What is his goal. Why is he even.

Atomiser? Nah, but Getaway? Absolutely. The opening scene (featured in the issues preview) makes me feel legit a bit uncomfortable because of how spot on a depiction Getaway is of genuine real-life manipulative people I've know.
As far as what Atomisers role is... we've known he's been unhappy with the captaincy since Dark Cybertron, but beyond that he just seems like a stirrer, I guess? Even from issue 1 Magnus warned not to trust him with a crossbow. Perhaps he's just jealous of rodders having an identical colourscheme, and when purple-rod shows up again they'll be best of friends.

As for the scraplets, I was totslly under the impression that they were Whirl's baby from the Christmas issue? Granted, those weren't red, but I'm pretty sure they ended up in the medbay and it would explain the semi-domestication.

Other brief thougts:
Percy saying "it wouldn't be proper" to use Brainstorms lab warmed my heart
Getaway specifically making riptide forget how to transform, rather than the standard last-5-minutes, seems like it... wouldn't work? Brainstorm seems like the only one who both could and would make that kinda mod to the gun, and he's hardly around. Perhaps this will lead into #12 (or even a later return for boaty mcboatface). Either that or it is just Suddenly A Thing It Can Do, in which case I might finally have to hope on the lazy-plot-device bus.
Scotty, "Grapple lifts things" had me in stitches and earned me a few odd looks on my commute :lol:
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924266)
Posted by Randomhero on November 30th, 2017 @ 5:55am CST
ArmadaPrime wrote:

...
Also, you make me raise a point I wanted to mention: Atomizer.
Atomizer is a dirtbag. What is his goal. Why is he even.

Other brief thougts:
Percy saying "it wouldn't be proper" to use Brainstorms lab warmed my heart

Actually the scraplets are not from the Christmas issue and not whirls baby. The scraplets in this issue date back aaaaaaaall the way from the start of MTMTE when it was subtly mentioned that they had a red scraplet infestation on the ship. The scraplets in the Christmas issue weren’t red like you said. Color is a thing. And one was seen in issue sixteen in a single panel of rewinds farewell to chromedome .
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924268)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on November 30th, 2017 @ 5:58am CST
Nope, that cover with Megatron likely has nothing to do with the story. Probably just random unused art.

william-james88 wrote:Thanks to Previews World, we now have images of two more covers for Transformers: Lost Light #12. The B cover is done by Nick Roche while the 10 incentive cover is done by Livio Ramondelli. Issue 12 is due next month right after Christmas and will feature the third part of the Mutineers Trilogy, which is all about finally getting back to the Lost Light, proper. Hopefully the presence of Megatron on the cover means something.

Here is the solicit for this particular issue:

[quote](W) James Roberts (A) Jack Lawrence (CA) Livio Ramondelli
In Shops: Dec 27, 2017

[/quote]
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924274)
Posted by ArmadaPrime on November 30th, 2017 @ 6:57am CST
Randomhero wrote:
Actually the scraplets are not from the Christmas issue and not whirls baby. The scraplets in this issue date back aaaaaaaall the way from the start of MTMTE when it was subtly mentioned that they had a red scraplet infestation on the ship. The scraplets in the Christmas issue weren’t red like you said. Color is a thing. And one was seen in issue sixteen in a single panel of rewinds farewell to chromosome.

Good spot! I'd missed that entirely :oops: .
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924275)
Posted by Va'al on November 30th, 2017 @ 7:08am CST
ArmadaPrime wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

Good spot! I'd missed that entirely :oops: .

I needed that! Thank you from me too!
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924281)
Posted by Ironhidensh on November 30th, 2017 @ 8:10am CST

In hindsight, I do feel as if I was manipulated into liking Megatron. It would have worked much better if we had done some sort of retcon to where he hadn't been a genocidal despot for eons. Robert's excellent writing of the character made you forget the bad, and I feel a bit off on that.

It's hard to put into words. I'm enjoying this new story, but still feel a bit let down.
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924285)
Posted by Va'al on November 30th, 2017 @ 8:35am CST
Ironhidensh wrote:I've pretty much come around to Va'al's way of thinking on the series. At first I was looking forward to finding out getaways motivations, intentions, and ultimate plans. he has now been made so over-the-top evil, in a very cartoonish way ,that a lot of the enjoyment has been lost for me. What he does doesn't matter, he is just a manipulative bad guy, his moral standing has eroded. Too much work to make him look worse than Megatron.

That last line is crucial: I'm still on board with following the story, but I have an extremely bitter aftertaste with everything concerning the current Lost Light (vessel) happenings. To the point where I'm dreading the next issue - I've not always been a fan of Roberts' endings, and I am very worried about what can happen at this point.

(He made LL#6 work, for me, though I recognise a lot of people were mightily annoyed at the lack of any judgement or punishment for Megatron, who essentially gets a get out free card because charisma. But that's really the one ending I found worked, out of a lot of MTMTE and LL plots.)
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924294)
Posted by Randomhero on November 30th, 2017 @ 9:25am CST
Va'al wrote:

Speculating a James Roberts books is damn near impossible aside from slaughterhouse. Most people figured out what was going on and how it would end which Roberts was very upset about that it was figured it so easily.

With this story with this story if I had to speculate I’d imagine Atomizer having a change of heart and diving in to save Riptide and maybe sacrificing himself. He did show signs of hesitation and somewhat regret in this issue but he then did go on with helping murder 25 crew members after all.

Maybe he does save riptide and riptide frees the protectobots and we get why everyone wants...defensor smashing through the lost light until he gets to Getaway, saves the crew and they go to find Rodimus.

The end.

HOWEVER...

That won’t happen.

The ending to part one still hasn’t happened. By the end of this issue atomizer says the protectobots are being pulled in meaning they haven’t been recaptured and their memeory loops haven’t started and the reason they’re throwing riptide in is to kill and strip him to to his life cord and use it as payment so Sunder can put the protectobots in memeory loop which we know by the end of part one happens.

Riptide dies, the protectobots are captured and forced to live in a memory loop and Getaway wins.

Next issue will probably end with the lost light entering The Warren
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924339)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on November 30th, 2017 @ 1:40pm CST
Nik Hero wrote:Nope, that cover with Megatron likely has nothing to do with the story
You know this for certain? I'm inclined to agree that it's simply unused art, but I can't say for sure. And the way Megatron "left" was kind of unfinished. Like there could have been more, something more final. But then again, this is Roberts writing, so we can't expect high quality story telling.
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924342)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on November 30th, 2017 @ 1:53pm CST
That's why I said likely. The previous 2 issues' covers had nothing to do with the issue either.
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924418)
Posted by snavej on December 1st, 2017 @ 8:16am CST
WreckerJack wrote:Cover B looks awesome. I am guessing that would be Mirage covered in energon 'blood'.

Just a little speculation: if cover B shows Mirage, perhaps someone has thrown liquid energon over him in order to locate him and maybe kill him. There is a parallel with the death of Ravage here. Ravage was very elusive but the DJD still found him and killed him. Mirage is also very elusive but not undetectable.

Alternatively, Mirage is killing other bots and gets covered in energon or fuel.
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924480)
Posted by Va'al on December 1st, 2017 @ 2:36pm CST

As always, this does not necessarily mean we will see the Gestalt in the issue, but we at least get to take a look at the very Combiner Wars-esque design (including the Groove chest piece), and some neat page layout and interaction with the logo, as Milne also points out. Take a look below!

[quote]IDW was kind enough to allow me to show off my cover for #LostLight issue 12. I too wanted in on the combiner action since I don't get to draw them much. I also had fun with the characters interacting with the logo Awesome colours by Josh Perez .[/quote]

Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924483)
Posted by Ironhidensh on December 1st, 2017 @ 2:49pm CST
After having the combiner wars story forced on us, I will be very, very passed if Defensor doesn't show up and at least kick Atomizers ass.

Getaway belongs to Hotrod.
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924492)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on December 1st, 2017 @ 3:17pm CST
Wow! That cover is amazing!

Va'al wrote:Courtesy of site admin and Twincaster ScottyP, we have been linked to Alex Milne's Twitter account and the image recently uploaded of another variant cover for IDW Publishing's Transformers: Lost Light #12 - the other two can be seen in this previous news story here - in both lineart and colours (by Josh Perez), and featuring the Protectobot combiner Defensor taking it out on Cybertronian punchbag Getaway!

[/quote]
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924497)
Posted by Super Megatron on December 1st, 2017 @ 3:28pm CST
Be more interesting if it was Optimus instead of Getaway being the punching bag...
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924498)
Posted by Super Megatron on December 1st, 2017 @ 3:28pm CST
In any case, I wonder if they're going to do the smashed up top left hand corner logo thing like Marvel used to do.
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924500)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on December 1st, 2017 @ 3:44pm CST
:-D :-D :-D

GUISE! LOOK! IT'S THE MOST UNDERRATED COMBINER!!!
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924505)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on December 1st, 2017 @ 4:25pm CST
Guys, “don’t trust the covers” are for stuff like Megatron being the sole figure on a Sub cover, or a G1 designed being used. Defender has appeared on like 2 or 3 covers for #12 by now. He’s in the issue.
Re: Variant Covers Revealed for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #12 (1924513)
Posted by MagicDeath on December 1st, 2017 @ 5:41pm CST
Is this series any good? I’m still working through MTMTE, but the opinions I hear about this series have a different tone.
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

You save: 36%
You save: 34%
You save: 28%
You save: 27%
You save: 25%
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations combiner wars deluxe protectobot groove" on AMAZON
You save: 20%