Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue

Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue

Monday, January 7th, 2019 3:28pm CST

Categories: Toy News, Reviews, Sightings
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 19,654

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

That was fast. We only learnt of the G1 Otimus Prime reissue a month ago and it has now been found at US retail. Like the 2018 reissues, this reissue is Walmart exclusive. It is priced at $50 and comes without a trailer, you can find the listing here.
The toy was found across a few states such as New Jersey and Hawaii and Larkin's Lair, who found him in Hawaii, has done a video review of the item showing all the contents for you to enjoy. Let us know if you intend on picking up this Optimus Prime in his minty G1-style packaging.


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003149)
Posted by Wireless_Phantom on January 7th, 2019 @ 3:45pm CST
I was vaguely considering getting this, since my optimus doesn't have any accessories, but I think I'm going to pass on it.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003151)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on January 7th, 2019 @ 3:51pm CST
I really like how they are releasing these, and the packaging and figure itself is great. I know people complained about the lack of a trailer, but I don't mind at all. That said, 50$ is steep for me, and as much as I really like it, it is out of my collecting price range. My budget is extremely limited, at 30$ a month, but that Soundwave might be the one exception to this, I NEED that guy.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003153)
Posted by Ironhidensh on January 7th, 2019 @ 3:55pm CST
Fifty bones? Yeah, fuck that. The 3 other reissues and 1 original Primes I have are good enough. :lol:
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003155)
Posted by JasonM32 on January 7th, 2019 @ 3:58pm CST
Wow, that WAS fast.

Same size box as Hotrod, no trailer, and they want $50 for it. Come on son.

I'm buying one for sure. If it was $30 or $35 I would have bought two.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003157)
Posted by Burn on January 7th, 2019 @ 4:03pm CST
Ironhidensh wrote:Fifty bones? Yeah, **** that. The 3 other reissues and 1 original Primes I have are good enough. :lol:

$100AUD through an Australian based online retailer.

As much as I'd like it, I simply cannot justify that much money.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003158)
Posted by firefox91 on January 7th, 2019 @ 4:07pm CST
A big deal was made out of him not having the trailer. I don't think it's that big of a deal. Yeah, when in his vehicle mode, he looks incomplete. But most times his displayed in bot mode and the trailer just becomes fluff that doesn't display well with a group of other bots.

What I do think is a big deal is the price. He is about the same size as Starscream which was $35, yet he is $50. Why? I think it's just because of the name. He is the ultimate Transformer. Fortunately I already have a G1 reissue from years back, I don't need another.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003159)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on January 7th, 2019 @ 4:14pm CST
firefox91 wrote:He is about the same size as Starscream which was $35, yet he is $50. Why? I think it's just because of the name. He is the ultimate Transformer.


He's also a lost art. ;)
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003160)
Posted by Rainmaker on January 7th, 2019 @ 4:15pm CST
$50 USD for that? And no trailer? I can't tell if there's any significant deco changes and I don't know what accessories he comes with but surely he's not worth that price, even if he may be the Optimus Prime.

:MAXIMAL:
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003161)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on January 7th, 2019 @ 4:22pm CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
firefox91 wrote:He is about the same size as Starscream which was $35, yet he is $50. Why? I think it's just because of the name. He is the ultimate Transformer.


He's also a lost art. ;)


And don't forget, he has rubber tires too. Pretty sure Hot Rod didn't have those. That second gun might also be a factor
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003162)
Posted by Amelie on January 7th, 2019 @ 4:43pm CST
It saddens me that box turned an auto-buy (pun intended) into a straight up "nope" from me. Maybe a second run will remove the weirdness with the grey, but I doubt that.

A pity.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003163)
Posted by GeekyGamer Gal on January 7th, 2019 @ 4:54pm CST
$50 with no trailer or roller, but with TWO guns ... :BANG_HEAD: Also, the grey/gray on OP for the stripe looks weirdly metallic.

Okay is it just me, the video or what, but does the red on OP look rather pink-ish?



I'm soo glad that I found a 100% complete authentic G1 pre-rubsign in a rather worn box for $100 at the toy show an hour away from me. :DANCE: Saves me from buying things like this.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003166)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on January 7th, 2019 @ 5:09pm CST
Burn wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:Fifty bones? Yeah, **** that. The 3 other reissues and 1 original Primes I have are good enough. :lol:

$100AUD through an Australian based online retailer.

As much as I'd like it, I simply cannot justify that much money.

At that price, might as well double the amount and BAPE. #-o

Damn, you Aussies get the short end of the stick regarding prices of toys and video games...
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003167)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on January 7th, 2019 @ 5:10pm CST
GeekyGamer Gal wrote:I'm soo glad that I found a 100% complete authentic G1 pre-rubsign in a rather worn box for $100 at the toy show an hour away from me. :DANCE: Saves me from buying things like this.


Be very, VERY sure it's genuine. Because G1 OP have been KO'd since forever.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003168)
Posted by Amelie on January 7th, 2019 @ 5:15pm CST
GeekyGamer Gal wrote:$50 with no trailer or roller, but with TWO guns ... :BANG_HEAD: Also, the grey/gray on OP for the stripe looks weirdly metallic.

Okay is it just me, the video or what, but does the red on OP look rather pink-ish?


Not as pink as me. :-D .

In all seriousness - pink toned reissue Primes have been a 'thing' in the past - with the TRU G1 reissue in the past (sporting a pale grey trailer) and G2 Prime to mention a couple. Its worth noting they're never going to get the same red as the original as that particular pigment isn't as prevalent anymore - its not lightfast, which is why 80s red cars (the dominant force globally in choosing which pigments get mined\grown\sourced) faded in sunlight and modern ones don't as much (or in most cases - at all).

Its the normal silver stripe, but when its brand new - it always looks gloriously metallic. I can still remember my old Prime as a kid having that glorious sheen.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003169)
Posted by 1984forever on January 7th, 2019 @ 5:48pm CST
The box looks the same as it did when news of this G1 Optimus reissue first dropped back on Dec. 15th, rounded corners and all.

I love being right.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003172)
Posted by Burn on January 7th, 2019 @ 5:59pm CST
1984forever wrote:I love being right.

Understandable, considering it doesn't happen very often. :wink: Image
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003174)
Posted by Amelie on January 7th, 2019 @ 6:04pm CST
Burn wrote:
1984forever wrote:I love being right.

Understandable, considering it doesn't happen very often. :wink: Image


I was about to say that, but professionalism held me back. Not that I'd dare say otherwise of you, Burn Image

Y'know - I came up with a valid reason why its a no trailer release. The current string of reissues is part of an 80s hype build up for Bumblebee and in the live-action movies - Optimus Prime isn't exactly known for hauling is trailer around all the time.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003183)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on January 7th, 2019 @ 6:25pm CST
Amelie wrote:I came up with a valid reason why its a no trailer release. The current string of reissues is part of an 80s hype build up for Bumblebee and in the live-action movies - Optimus Prime isn't exactly known for hauling is trailer around all the time.
But in the Bee movie he did have his trailer, his truck mode wasn't seen without it, IIRC.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003184)
Posted by Amelie on January 7th, 2019 @ 6:27pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:
Amelie wrote:I came up with a valid reason why its a no trailer release. The current string of reissues is part of an 80s hype build up for Bumblebee and in the live-action movies - Optimus Prime isn't exactly known for hauling is trailer around all the time.
But in the Bee movie he did have his trailer, his truck mode wasn't seen without it, IIRC.


True, but across the movie franchise, its not a necessary part of him, which was more my point. A lot of kids these days don't always see Optimus Prime and expect a trailer.
Re: Video Review and US Sightings of 2019 Transformers G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (2003187)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on January 7th, 2019 @ 6:38pm CST
Amelie wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:
Amelie wrote:I came up with a valid reason why its a no trailer release. The current string of reissues is part of an 80s hype build up for Bumblebee and in the live-action movies - Optimus Prime isn't exactly known for hauling is trailer around all the time.
But in the Bee movie he did have his trailer, his truck mode wasn't seen without it, IIRC.


True, but across the movie franchise, its not a necessary part of him, which was more my point. A lot of kids these days don't always see Optimus Prime and expect a trailer.
Got it. But if we were speaking strictly 80s hype for the Bee movie, then he should come with a trailer, as he did in the 80s and as he was in the only movie (so far) set in the 80s. :-D

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Galvatronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Furos and Hardhead" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Perceptor and Convex" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
Twincast / Podcast #270:
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Leader Class Soundwave & Laserbeak" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SOUNDWAVE Audio MP3 Player Spark Blue Version Takara Music Label" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Thrilling 30 Hoist Complete with Comic G1 CHUG" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers TCG Wave 2 Acid Storm Toxic Terror RT T01" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers generations Combiner Wars Skywarp" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS OPTIMUS PRIME & ROLLER, Thrilling 30 Legends 2013" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Dark of the Moon Backfire Left Rifle Spare Part Accessory 2011" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Highbrow XORT Headmaster  Walmart exclusive wave 2 heroic autobot!" on EBAY