Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus

Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus

Wednesday, January 13th, 2021 7:57pm CST

Categories: Toy News, Reviews
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 24,517

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

So, while we all knew Transformers Kingdom Ultra magnus was a retool of the Siege one, we never got a really good sense of just how much was new. Well, a video review comparing the two is out now and we can see that there have been a lot of changes to give it the G1 look, which should have been there in the first place. These aren't huge changes but they do help the figure look more like the G1 Magnus we know. Like the smoother shoulder pylons, differently styled shoulder rockets and even new molded detail on the trailer to imitate the G1 structures. We also see how good the inner bot can look when transformed properly, something we did not see before. We thank all the fans who sent this our way.

So let us know what you think. Anyone double dipping?



Transformers News: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus

Transformers News: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus

Transformers News: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus

Transformers News: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus

Transformers News: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus


This article was last modified on Wednesday, January 13th, 2021 8:26pm CST

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092616)
Posted by bacem on January 13th, 2021 @ 8:09pm CST
william-james88 wrote:While the raptor hands look terrible, I see where hasbro got the idea from. Dinobot was based on the 90s Jurassic park idea of what a raptor looked like and that's the hands position you see on many images which Hasbro probably took inspiration of.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Also, anyone else kinda sad that they didn,t stick to their initial ractonite design?

Do we all agree that this:
Image

Looks better than this:
Image


If that is indeed their base for the dino mode, then i can accept the hand more (not that i mind before). However, in this case, i find it weird that they just put regular, round pupil on the dino eyes, not the elongated pupil that should be closer to actual raptor. It just feels a bit odd to have the design goes for realistic approach everywhere on the body, except the eyes.

And yes, ractonite's initial design is way better. The shoulder and hand on the actual toy in particular just feels awkward to me.
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092617)
Posted by Jeddostotle7 on January 13th, 2021 @ 9:03pm CST
bacem wrote:If that is indeed their base for the dino mode, then i can accept the hand more (not that i mind before). However, in this case, i find it weird that they just put regular, round pupil on the dino eyes, not the elongated pupil that should be closer to actual raptor. It just feels a bit odd to have the design goes for realistic approach everywhere on the body, except the eyes.

Uhhh...... since when do we know what raptors' eyes "really" look like for sure? Eyes don't tend to fossilize, especially not the shape of the pupil.

If we're going by comparing it to existing relatives (birds), I'd say the circular pupil is actually probably more accurate than any slit-eyed depiction, although that's ultimately just conjecture.
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092619)
Posted by Razorbeast88 on January 13th, 2021 @ 9:08pm CST
Im assuming the word "realistic" was meant as resembling what raptors looked like in jurassic Park as that's what was mentioned earlier. I dont think they were under the impression they are the only one that knows what dinosaur pupils looked like, as wild as that might sound
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092620)
Posted by bacem on January 13th, 2021 @ 9:15pm CST
Jeddostotle7 wrote:
bacem wrote:If that is indeed their base for the dino mode, then i can accept the hand more (not that i mind before). However, in this case, i find it weird that they just put regular, round pupil on the dino eyes, not the elongated pupil that should be closer to actual raptor. It just feels a bit odd to have the design goes for realistic approach everywhere on the body, except the eyes.

Uhhh...... since when do we know what raptors' eyes "really" look like for sure? Eyes don't tend to fossilize, especially not the shape of the pupil.

If we're going by comparing it to existing relatives (birds), I'd say the circular pupil is actually probably more accurate than any slit-eyed depiction, although that's ultimately just conjecture.


To clarify, when i said "actual raptor" i mean "the realistic depiction of a raptor based on jurassic park design, that the toy seems to be based of", not "literal real raptor because i can time travel and saw them alive up close".
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092622)
Posted by Jeddostotle7 on January 13th, 2021 @ 9:35pm CST
bacem wrote:
Jeddostotle7 wrote:
bacem wrote:If that is indeed their base for the dino mode, then i can accept the hand more (not that i mind before). However, in this case, i find it weird that they just put regular, round pupil on the dino eyes, not the elongated pupil that should be closer to actual raptor. It just feels a bit odd to have the design goes for realistic approach everywhere on the body, except the eyes.

Uhhh...... since when do we know what raptors' eyes "really" look like for sure? Eyes don't tend to fossilize, especially not the shape of the pupil.

If we're going by comparing it to existing relatives (birds), I'd say the circular pupil is actually probably more accurate than any slit-eyed depiction, although that's ultimately just conjecture.


To clarify, when i said "actual raptor" i mean "the realistic depiction of a raptor based on jurassic park design, that the toy seems to be based of", not "literal real raptor because i can time travel and saw them alive up close".

The Jurassic Park design isn't particularly "realistic", but I see what you mean. I do think the eyes in particular were based more specifically on how they looked in the show rather than more like Jurassic Park, but even there they're slightly vertical rather than just round, so who knows why they did made the pupils round.
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092625)
Posted by TulioDude on January 13th, 2021 @ 10:47pm CST
I always assumed Dinobots hands were like that to hold an possible Golden disk acesssor,but it's nice to see another reason.

Day 380 of waiting for Transformers Armada Masterpiece news.
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092626)
Posted by Changewinds on January 13th, 2021 @ 10:47pm CST
bacem wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Also, anyone else kinda sad that they didn,t stick to their initial ractonite design?

Do we all agree that this:
Image

Looks better than this:
Image


If that is indeed their base for the dino mode, then i can accept the hand more (not that i mind before). However, in this case, i find it weird that they just put regular, round pupil on the dino eyes, not the elongated pupil that should be closer to actual raptor. It just feels a bit odd to have the design goes for realistic approach everywhere on the body, except the eyes.

And yes, ractonite's initial design is way better. The shoulder and hand on the actual toy in particular just feels awkward to me.



Might be because the initial design doesn’t show the rib cage at all unless it’s somewhere on his back. However, Ractonite does seem the most awkward of the Fossilizers so far in terms of proportion in his robot mode. HIs Styracosaurus fossil mode is awesome though. Iguess that since Vertebreak isn’t a weaponizer, she’s a lot better proportioned.
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092627)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 13th, 2021 @ 10:57pm CST
I get the feeling that Dinobot and Megatron may be the only exceptions to Kingdom's "show-accurate robot modes/realistic beast modes" pattern for the Beast Wars characters, in that since they both are based on non-realistic beasts (as in, Jurassic Park dinosaur designs), they instead get to have both their robot and beast modes lean more towards show-accuracy. This would explain why Dinobot's raptor eyes are not JP-movie-accurate but BW-cartoon-accurate.

Image
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092629)
Posted by Emerje on January 13th, 2021 @ 11:19pm CST
william-james88 wrote:Also, anyone else kinda sad that they didn,t stick to their initial ractonite design?

Do we all agree that this:
Image

Looks better than this:
Image

You can almost do that with one arm with the figure, just reverse the order. Plug the "hand" peg into the shoulder and plug the back of the head into the arm, you basically get a mini Beast Megatron look (head arm and tail arm) and still get a peg inside the mouth to connect things to. As a bonus that whole skull plate is removable, though it doesn't split like in the art, but I can't tell if there's a way to plug it into the shoulder like that, maybe you can wedge the little piece on the inside between his toes? If only they had put a slot under the front feet.

Emerje
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092636)
Posted by Nemesis Primal on January 14th, 2021 @ 12:17am CST
TulioDude wrote:I always assumed Dinobots hands were like that to hold an possible Golden disk acesssor,but it's nice to see another reason.
I've had this suspicion as well, it makes too much sense for me to give up on it until proven otherwise. It would be comparable to Optimus and Rodimus both having opening hands for Matrix compatibility, basically, with how much Dinobot carried that thing around.

william-james88 wrote:Also, anyone else kinda sad that they didn,t stick to their initial ractonite design?

Do we all agree that this:
Image

Looks better than this:
Image
...mostly no, I don't agree, my only complaint about Ractonite's final design is his weird left shoulder and lack of hands, other than that the Witch-King head and the giant skull armor shoulder are what sells him for me, and the original design doesn't look to me like it has real hands either anyway.

Although if you think THAT'S as weird as we can go, this thread's original source of credible leaks Apollux says he's now seen Wingfinger's instructions and described his appearance as a mix of G1 Whirl and a Xenomorph, down to having no real eyes, so make of that what you will.
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092637)
Posted by cruizerdave on January 14th, 2021 @ 12:33am CST
So much parts forming to create a car carrier that can’t carry cars. How is it that a toy made for Combiner Wars is better than this!?
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092640)
Posted by Sentinel_Primal on January 14th, 2021 @ 1:21am CST
Nemesis Primal wrote:
TulioDude wrote:I always assumed Dinobots hands were like that to hold an possible Golden disk acesssor,but it's nice to see another reason.
I've had this suspicion as well, it makes too much sense for me to give up on it until proven otherwise. It would be comparable to Optimus and Rodimus both having opening hands for Matrix compatibility, basically, with how much Dinobot carried that thing around.

Appolux has said that the Ark comes with at least one Golden Disk, so maybe that (plus transformation) is why his hands are like that
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092642)
Posted by william-james88 on January 14th, 2021 @ 2:31am CST
cruizerdave wrote:So much parts forming to create a car carrier that can’t carry cars. How is it that a toy made for Combiner Wars is better than this!?


It can carry cars.
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092648)
Posted by blackeyedprime on January 14th, 2021 @ 4:26am CST
cruizerdave wrote:So much parts forming to create a car carrier that can’t carry cars. How is it that a toy made for Combiner Wars is better than this!?


Because they werent peddling deluxes with accessories at leader price back then :p
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092660)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 14th, 2021 @ 7:16am CST
william-james88 wrote:Also, anyone else kinda sad that they didn,t stick to their initial ractonite design?

Do we all agree that this:
Image

Looks better than this:
Image

...no, I think the design they went with is a better look. I love the giant Styraco-head on the shoulder, and while I wish he did have hands, I don't mind the sword hand and gun hand (essentially). I prefer those design cues in this case.

Ractonite is the best looking fossilizer so far, and I am extremely excited for wave 2.
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092664)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on January 14th, 2021 @ 8:39am CST
william-james88 wrote:
cruizerdave wrote:So much parts forming to create a car carrier that can’t carry cars. How is it that a toy made for Combiner Wars is better than this!?


It can carry cars.


But can barely hold his weapons without dropping them and can't pose his legs worth a damn. For me, the Siege version gladly pushed the CW version into the sell on eBay pile.
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092665)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 14th, 2021 @ 8:41am CST
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
cruizerdave wrote:So much parts forming to create a car carrier that can’t carry cars. How is it that a toy made for Combiner Wars is better than this!?

It can carry cars.

But can barely hold his weapons without dropping them and can't pose his legs worth a damn. For me, the Siege version gladly pushed the CW version into the sell on eBay pile.

I've been the opposite, none of the Magni in WFC have ended up in my hands, none of them have done things I want them to, and the Galaxy Prime was the only version of the mold I've gotten. Even seeing the Netflix Magnus for $25, I couldn't do it. CW for me still reins supreme
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092669)
Posted by joevill on January 14th, 2021 @ 9:48am CST
I'm in love! :x
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092686)
Posted by william-james88 on January 14th, 2021 @ 11:02am CST
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
cruizerdave wrote:So much parts forming to create a car carrier that can’t carry cars. How is it that a toy made for Combiner Wars is better than this!?


It can carry cars.


But can barely hold his weapons without dropping them and can't pose his legs worth a damn. For me, the Siege version gladly pushed the CW version into the sell on eBay pile.


I was just responding to the statement that said Kingdom Magnus cant carry cars.

It can.
Re: Video Review for Kingdom G1 Ultra Magnus (2092687)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on January 14th, 2021 @ 11:02am CST
TF-fan kev777 wrote:For me, the Siege version gladly pushed the CW version into the sell on eBay pile.
Same here. I liked CW Magnus for looks, but the Siege figure is heftier and feels better. The Kingdom version will be an in-hand decision.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Beast Hunters Legion Class Smokescreen Stealth Fighter Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
Twincast / Podcast #268:
"Call Me 2020"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Battle Masters Blowpipe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Iron Factory IF EX-27 Shrike's Feather Streamwing (Slipstream)" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Earthrise Decepticon Airwave Deluxe Class War for Cybertron" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Cyberverse Gnaw Sharkticon" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Bumblebee Rescue Guard" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS TITANS RETURN - WINGSPAN & CLOUDRAKER - WALGREENS EXCLUSIVE" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS  DARK OF THE MOON MECHTECH LASERBEAK 2010 MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Lot Graham, Burns, Cody, Firefighter, Police HASBRO" on EBAY