Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set

Monday, February 8th, 2016 12:04pm CST

Categories: Toy News, Reviews
Posted by: Hellscream9999   Views: 20,057

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Fellow Seibertronians, fellow user Bridgemagnet has posted a video review of the 'Planet of Junk Clash' Platinum Edition Box Set. The review can be seen below, and a small gallery of the set can be seen here. What are your thoughts on this set? Let us know in the comments below.

Credit(s): Bridgemagnet form Seibertron.com


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1764377)
Posted by Ironhidensh on February 8th, 2016 @ 12:15pm CST
I'd buy it for 30 bucks. That's about all there is to say. These molds are far to new to deserve a platinum style reissue.
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1764378)
Posted by ThirdSergio on February 8th, 2016 @ 12:17pm CST
What a shame...I really want this set because Rodimus looks pretty good and I need another wreck-gar for my Iron Maiden Junkion upgrade set. It seems the colors are really basic and muddled on both Scrapheap and Wreck-Gar, with Rodimus being the clear favorite. I'll wait for this one to drop in price before scooping it up, I do need a United Scrapheap though.

Also Reviewer doesn't mention it but besides the color Rodimus's engine block has the Henkei addition for the Arms-Micron targetmaster that was sold separately (which I have fort some reason)
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1764403)
Posted by galvatron00 on February 8th, 2016 @ 12:55pm CST
Hellscream9999 wrote:Fellow Seibertronians, fellow user Bridgemagnet has posted a video review of the 'Planet of Junk Clash' Platinum Edition Box Set. The review can be seen below, and a small gallery of the set can be seen here. What are your thoughts on this set? Let us know in the comments below.

Thanks for the post Hellscream!
Ironhidensh wrote:I'd buy it for 30 bucks. That's about all there is to say. These molds are far to new to deserve a platinum style reissue.
I think I'd go $49.99..I think. It would only be my 3rd version of Rodimus in that mold. Can I reverse the scene and it be Rodimus Junkions (Rodimukions?) vs. Wreck-Gar and his moto-buddy Scrapheap? Sure I can. They're my toys!! [-( :lol:
ThirdSergio wrote:What a shame...I really want this set because Rodimus looks pretty good and I need another wreck-gar for my Iron Maiden Junkion upgrade set. It seems the colors are really basic and muddled on both Scrapheap and Wreck-Gar, with Rodimus being the clear favorite. I'll wait for this one to drop in price before scooping it up, I do need a United Scrapheap though.

Also Reviewer doesn't mention it but besides the color Rodimus's engine block has the Henkei addition for the Arms-Micron targetmaster that was sold separately (which I have fort some reason)
Rodimus DOES look pretty good.

Also, IRON MAIDEN JUNKIONS?! :KREMZEEK:
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1764436)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 8th, 2016 @ 1:49pm CST
Eh, not bad looking, but not a buy for me. Just can't afford this :BOT:
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1764455)
Posted by ThirdSergio on February 8th, 2016 @ 2:29pm CST
itscramtastic wrote:
Hellscream9999 wrote:Fellow Seibertronians, fellow user Bridgemagnet has posted a video review of the 'Planet of Junk Clash' Platinum Edition Box Set. The review can be seen below, and a small gallery of the set can be seen here. What are your thoughts on this set? Let us know in the comments below.

Thanks for the post Hellscream!
Ironhidensh wrote:I'd buy it for 30 bucks. That's about all there is to say. These molds are far to new to deserve a platinum style reissue.
I think I'd go $49.99..I think. It would only be my 3rd version of Rodimus in that mold. Can I reverse the scene and it be Rodimus Junkions (Rodimukions?) vs. Wreck-Gar and his moto-buddy Scrapheap? Sure I can. They're my toys!! [-( :lol:
ThirdSergio wrote:What a shame...I really want this set because Rodimus looks pretty good and I need another wreck-gar for my Iron Maiden Junkion upgrade set. It seems the colors are really basic and muddled on both Scrapheap and Wreck-Gar, with Rodimus being the clear favorite. I'll wait for this one to drop in price before scooping it up, I do need a United Scrapheap though.

Also Reviewer doesn't mention it but besides the color Rodimus's engine block has the Henkei addition for the Arms-Micron targetmaster that was sold separately (which I have fort some reason)
Rodimus DOES look pretty good.

Also, IRON MAIDEN JUNKIONS?! :KREMZEEK:

I meant the Maiden japan/Lucky Rogers upgrade kits for a Junkion Medic and Warrior. They're paint matched more to RTS Wreck-gar's original mold (but with the Junkions mix-matching and stuff would be an okay aesthetic...) I was thinking of another upgrade kits name mix-mashed with that set lol
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1764478)
Posted by .... on February 8th, 2016 @ 3:37pm CST
Wait wait wait... hold on a sec! I think I just had some memories come back to me! If I recall, some years ago in 2006-2007, a friend of mine let me borrow a transformer, if I'm not mistaken, I think it was this Hot-Rod! I have been trying to remember for so long what toy that was, and I think I finally know! :lol:
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766086)
Posted by william-james88 on February 13th, 2016 @ 6:03pm CST
The platinum line was well represented today at the New York Toy Fair with even a surprise or two. For instance, there will actually be a Transformers Platinum Robots in Disguise set. Better than that it will include the previously Takara Exclusive Battle Grimlock which was a heavy retool of FOC Grimlock. It also includes the standard Bumblebee deluxe toy which sports a different deco than the Hasbro retail version. You can see live images of them on the showroom floor here.

The other platinum set shown was the Cyclonus, Scourge and Sweep set made up of the Universe/Gnerations molds. Cyclonus seems to have a new gun rather than his target master. All three have parts made up of clear plastic. Let us know what you think!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766092)
Posted by .... on February 13th, 2016 @ 6:09pm CST
Those look... interesting???
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766093)
Posted by griftimus prime on February 13th, 2016 @ 6:10pm CST
not a fan of the translucent parts at all. not sure what they were thinking.

nice that we get the takara battle grimlock though.
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766098)
Posted by Deadput on February 13th, 2016 @ 6:17pm CST
griftimus prime wrote:not a fan of the translucent parts at all. not sure what they were thinking.



I think it's a reference to the transformation scene in the movie when their becoming Galvatron and Cyclonus etc.
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766100)
Posted by Stuartmaximus on February 13th, 2016 @ 6:18pm CST
yeah i'm not that impressed with Cyclonus & Scourge(i still prefer the look of the Titan Wars one)

Grimlock looks ok
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766101)
Posted by griftimus prime on February 13th, 2016 @ 6:20pm CST
Deadput wrote:
griftimus prime wrote:not a fan of the translucent parts at all. not sure what they were thinking.



I think it's a reference to the transformation scene in the movie when their becoming Galvatron and Cyclonus etc.


i thought the same thing. but i do not like being able to see through the figures.
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766124)
Posted by MemphisR56 on February 13th, 2016 @ 7:38pm CST
More overuse of transparent plastic on what's bound to be another poorly priced platinum set. Why use a new Devcon head we've never seen before for this nonsense?

Whoever is thinking up these sets and deccos really needs to move onto a different toyline. Their heart is clearly not in it.

It's like a complete line of afterthoughts.
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766128)
Posted by Burn on February 13th, 2016 @ 7:41pm CST
Here's an idea for a Platinum Set!

Troop building Junkions and Sweeps. No silly gimmicks like translucent plastic, just troop builders, a set people would actually be interested in instead of tacky reuses of old molds.
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766132)
Posted by Mindmaster on February 13th, 2016 @ 7:44pm CST
MemphisR56 wrote:More overuse of transparent plastic on what's bound to be another poorly priced platinum set. Why use a new Devcon head we've never seen before for this nonsense?

Whoever is thinking up these sets and deccos really needs to move onto a different toyline. Their heart is clearly not in it.

It's like a complete line of afterthoughts.


It's actually not the Devcon tooling. It actually looks like a whole new tooling, with Devcon's face but Scourge's head tube thing. Why even bother making a new head just for this set, who knows.
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766134)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on February 13th, 2016 @ 7:46pm CST
Burn wrote:Here's an idea for a Platinum Set!

Troop building Junkions and Sweeps. No silly gimmicks like translucent plastic, just troop builders, a set people would actually be interested in instead of tacky reuses of old molds.


Or two 3-packs of the seeker limbs, if you look, airraid has a triangle cut-out under his cockpit, almost as if the head it were to conceal ended in a cone shape :-?
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766136)
Posted by MemphisR56 on February 13th, 2016 @ 7:50pm CST
Mindmaster wrote:
MemphisR56 wrote:More overuse of transparent plastic on what's bound to be another poorly priced platinum set. Why use a new Devcon head we've never seen before for this nonsense?

Whoever is thinking up these sets and deccos really needs to move onto a different toyline. Their heart is clearly not in it.

It's like a complete line of afterthoughts.


It's actually not the Devcon tooling. It actually looks like a whole new tooling, with Devcon's face but Scourge's head tube thing. Why even bother making a new head just for this set, who knows.


I actually did say that it was a new head, this was exactly the point I was driving at.

Burn wrote:here's an idea

Y'know, when I heard the rumours of a cyclonus' armada set, and a junkion set, that was exactly what I was hoping it to be.

But instead we get this shit show
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766137)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on February 13th, 2016 @ 7:57pm CST
MemphisR56 wrote:
Burn wrote:here's an idea

Y'know, when I heard the rumours of a cyclonus' armada set, and a junkion set, that was exactly what I was hoping it to be.

But instead we get this SHIZZLESNIT show


Ironically, I wonder if hasbro considered doing that (it would be cheap) but thought that we (consumers) would say that that was 'lazy' of them, and changed it at the last minute :-?
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766139)
Posted by Stuartmaximus on February 13th, 2016 @ 8:02pm CST
griftimus prime wrote:nice that we get the takara battle grimlock though.


yeah i thought that was a nice touch too ;)^
Re: Video Review - Planet of Junk Clash Set (1766142)
Posted by MemphisR56 on February 13th, 2016 @ 8:09pm CST
Hellscream9999 wrote:
MemphisR56 wrote:
Burn wrote:here's an idea

Y'know, when I heard the rumours of a cyclonus' armada set, and a junkion set, that was exactly what I was hoping it to be.

But instead we get this SHIZZLESNIT show


Ironically, I wonder if hasbro considered doing that (it would be cheap) but thought that we (consumers) would say that that was 'lazy' of them, and changed it at the last minute :-?


It seems possible. But considering some of the mold choices (e.g. Classics Hotrod, Universe Galvatron & Titanium Rodimus) I'd say they're very much dissociated from any idea of what the fans want, at least for the platinum sets.


I just keep wondering 'who are they for?'.
The pricepoint is too high for your average casual fan to go "oh wow, i remember these guys!", a lot of the more seasoned collectors will already have most of the molds and characters in one way or another, or even be looking to get new versions in the case of Galvatron. The diehard G1 fabs will look at the inaccurate deccos and be turned off.

The decco doesn't even seem to be the sort of premium paint job stuff you'd get from an e-hobby or asain market 3-pack set to justify that price.

Who actually wants to buy these?

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Decepticon Dragstrip Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot First Aid Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee – Energon Igniters Power Plus Series Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
Twincast / Podcast #271:
"Meh-pisode"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers G1 Thundercracker near complete in good condition not reissue" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Quickshadow" on EBAY
Buy "Mint Used Decepticon Berserker, Transformers The Last Knight Premier Edition " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide Blue Boat VHTF Retired" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Daca Toys Kronos" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Leader DOUBLEDEALER  NIB NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide" on EBAY
Buy "transformers generations doubledealer" on EBAY