Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015 6:16am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Toy News, Reviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 62,263

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The last we saw or heard about the Takara Tomy Movie Advanced Black Knight Optimus Prime, we only had in-hand images of it. Now, thanks to fellow Seibertronian Transformermegazord, we also get a video review, showing off the new deco on the Leader class Optimus Prime from the Age of Extinction toy line! Check it out below.

Credit(s): Benscollectables


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1728197)
Posted by Shockwave7 on September 23rd, 2015 @ 10:05am CDT
I donno, this figure just seems like a step backwards from the engineering and quality of the Movie2 Optimus. There are so many bits and bobs there that just seem to get in the way. The legs especially just seem off somehow.
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1728224)
Posted by megatronus on September 23rd, 2015 @ 11:51am CDT
Shockwave7 wrote:I donno, this figure just seems like a step backwards from the engineering and quality of the Movie2 Optimus. There are so many bits and bobs there that just seem to get in the way. The legs especially just seem off somehow.

Is this news to you? I mean, this mold has been out for nearly a year and half at his point. I'd rather appreciate it for what it is rather than fruitlessly compare it to ROTF Optimus, especially since this version incorporates Takara's awesome remolded bits.
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1728252)
Posted by RAR on September 23rd, 2015 @ 1:47pm CDT
When we got 2007 Leader Optimus he was good for the time but not super accurate - they fixed that with the subsequent versions making a pretty darn close to the Movie Leader for ROTF (later tweaked several times).

I have to notice the many versions of the AOE Optimus the Modified Takara one being the best of the bunch - but there is still some work that could be done to free the leg skirts up a bit and hide some more of the truck kibble especially the wheels..

So I have to wonder will the 5th Movie's Optimus be a improvement over the Takara (face swapping) one or will it be a toy like the RID-15 5 step changer Optimus that will likely have a more limited appeal to adults.

I so want to believe Transformers will get better - but in all honesty I don't think I can say that any longer.

So I'm a little concerned that if we have any chance of getting a good optimus at all it will only be if they make a very very very expensive 5th Movie ; 'Movie Masterpiece' version for a very premium price.
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1728255)
Posted by Shockwave7 on September 23rd, 2015 @ 1:56pm CDT
megatronus wrote:
Shockwave7 wrote:I donno, this figure just seems like a step backwards from the engineering and quality of the Movie2 Optimus. There are so many bits and bobs there that just seem to get in the way. The legs especially just seem off somehow.

Is this news to you? I mean, this mold has been out for nearly a year and half at his point. I'd rather appreciate it for what it is rather than fruitlessly compare it to ROTF Optimus, especially since this version incorporates Takara's awesome remolded bits.


(shrug) You go right ahead and appreciate it for what it is, then. Not taking that away from anybody. You should be appreciative then that I actually gave movie2 Optimus a veiled compliment, given my oft-voiced opinion that I think the Bayverse toys in general are a waste of plastic.... ;)
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1728325)
Posted by dragons on September 23rd, 2015 @ 5:33pm CDT
Shockwave7 wrote:
megatronus wrote:
Shockwave7 wrote:I donno, this figure just seems like a step backwards from the engineering and quality of the Movie2 Optimus. There are so many bits and bobs there that just seem to get in the way. The legs especially just seem off somehow.

Is this news to you? I mean, this mold has been out for nearly a year and half at his point. I'd rather appreciate it for what it is rather than fruitlessly compare it to ROTF Optimus, especially since this version incorporates Takara's awesome remolded bits.


(shrug) You go right ahead and appreciate it for what it is, then. Not taking that away from anybody. You should be appreciative then that I actually gave movie2 Optimus a veiled compliment, given my oft-voiced opinion that I think the Bayverse toys in general are a waste of plastic.... ;)



nice figure but simple repaint does not work for me
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1728473)
Posted by RAR on September 24th, 2015 @ 4:43am CDT
I like several of the Movie Deluxes better than some of the things made more recently. You just have to learn to adjust your tastes like you need to do to appreciate Transformers Animated too.

Not that some of the toys are exactly perfect as there is some right odd ones like ROTF Arcee snake-bot mode or Blazemaster's ill defined robot mode. But I consider myself "Very satisfied" with many of them.
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1867983)
Posted by WreckerJack on March 20th, 2017 @ 10:02pm CDT
Seibertronian and fellow news staffer D-Maximus_Prime has informed us that Takara Tomy is going to be releasing a re-issue of Nightmare Megatron. As you can see in the images below it looks to be the same as it's original release for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen back in 2015.

This voyager figure costs 14,904 Japanese Yen which is approximately 132.25 US Dollars according to current exchange rates. It appears to be scheduled for release on March 26, of 2017 so you can add it to your collection in case you missed out the first time.

What are your thoughts on this re-release?

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1867988)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 20th, 2017 @ 10:09pm CDT
This leader is ludicrously expensive. I'll stick with my original ROTF one thank you very much.
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1867989)
Posted by Terrsolpix on March 20th, 2017 @ 10:24pm CDT
For the love of Prinus kill that thing with FIREPOWER BLAST :lol:
But in all seriousness it looks great. Shame TR has so many great figures coming soon. Also isn't helping the Switch is going to be burning a hole through my wallet not too long from now ;)
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1867998)
Posted by DeathReviews on March 20th, 2017 @ 10:54pm CDT
Over a hundred of your mortal 'smackers' for a warmed over Bayverse voyager? I trow NOT! The Bayverse has never treated the Megatron figures very well. The possible exception being the leader figure for the upcoming movie...
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1868007)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 20th, 2017 @ 11:37pm CDT
DeathReviews wrote:The Bayverse has never treated the Megatron figures very well. The possible exception being the leader figure for the upcoming movie...
Not even the awesome DOTM Voyager?
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1868009)
Posted by Terrsolpix on March 20th, 2017 @ 11:38pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
DeathReviews wrote:The Bayverse has never treated the Megatron figures very well. The possible exception being the leader figure for the upcoming movie...
Not even the awesome DOTM Voyager?


The fact they gave him an accessory two years later is amazing enough.
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1868035)
Posted by Emerje on March 21st, 2017 @ 2:34am CDT
Is there really a need for this release? I keep watching the second hand price drop on these on Mandarake (11,000 JPY / US$98 unopened), they're really going to plummet when this batch comes out.

Isn't it Leader class, not Voyager?

Emerje
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1868043)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 21st, 2017 @ 4:28am CDT
DeathReviews wrote:Over a hundred of your mortal 'smackers' for a warmed over Bayverse voyager? I trow NOT! The Bayverse has never treated the Megatron figures very well. The possible exception being the leader figure for the upcoming movie...


Hello? This is the LEADER mold. #-o

Image
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1868046)
Posted by Emerje on March 21st, 2017 @ 4:33am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:
DeathReviews wrote:Over a hundred of your mortal 'smackers' for a warmed over Bayverse voyager? I trow NOT! The Bayverse has never treated the Megatron figures very well. The possible exception being the leader figure for the upcoming movie...


Hello? This is the LEADER mold. #-o

In fairness...
WreckerJack wrote:This voyager figure costs 14,904 Japanese Yen which is approximately 132.25 US Dollars according to current exchange rates.

There was an error in the article.

Emerje
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1868050)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 21st, 2017 @ 4:41am CDT
Emerje wrote:There was an error in the article.

Emerje


Image
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1868068)
Posted by Evil Eye on March 21st, 2017 @ 7:00am CDT
I will say that those colours are pretty sexy. A shame that in order to be an even remotely good toy you need to yank his arms off and replace them with 3P offerings (though the new arms do increase his awesomeness a thousandfold).
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1868102)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on March 21st, 2017 @ 10:39am CDT
it's a great figure and in lovely colours and yes the third party kit makes him even better.
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1868116)
Posted by RAR on March 21st, 2017 @ 11:58am CDT
There is a Knock off of the purple accented version it's usually way under $60.00 these days - but there is a tweaked KO as well that has some new pieces like the new arms and and really really nice new head and some forward wingletts to improve the tank mode look - it's still taller than it should be in vehicle mode - but it's also a huge improvement over the official one. and I'd buy that in preference to the Takara one myself.

The slightly tweaked KO Leader Brawl is also a slight improvement too or at least as good as the legit Asian Exlusive 0 though it does have some odd gaps in the front upper portion of the tank body - they are pretty slight - and the other changes make him more Movie accurate and he's way cheaper and just as nicely painted as the Asian exclusive which costs the blood of your first born these days.
Re: Video Review - Takara Tomy Movie Advance Black Knight Optimus Prime (1868189)
Posted by Quantum Surge on March 21st, 2017 @ 6:31pm CDT
I prefer the tweaked KOs and the Voyager over the official Leader Class figures. And HasTak, give us a DOTM Leader Megs! :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay:

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Devastator Figure Set(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Twinferno and Daburu" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Seaspray" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Chop Shop Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
Twincast / Podcast #289:
"No Thanks Given"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC-S32 BLACKJACK & HYPERDRIVE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Powertrain & Highjump Siege War for Cybertron Micromaster" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers WFC-S44 Siege Battlemasters Singe War for Cybertron Target" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG37 Ravage & Bullhorn Takara Tomy Japan" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Action Figure Incomplete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers WFC: Earthrise Micromasters Battle Squad DIRECT-HIT / POWER PUNCH" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations - Starscream, Optimus Prime, Rodimus Prime - NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Masterpiece Convoy Mode Eva MP-10 Optimus Prime Brand" on EBAY