Friday, April 9th, 2021 6:02pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Event News, Collectables
Posted by: ZeroWolf   Views: 37,721

Greetings Seibertronians! As you may have heard already, Robosen (officially licensed by Hasbro, who are helping to distribute the figure) have revealed their Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime to the world at todays Hasbro Pulse Fan Fest. Thanks to site owner, Seibertron, we now have a video showing off the toys transformation:

The toy is amongst the highest in the murky depths of the officially licensed third party area, along with ThreeZero's output, and Flame Toys Kuro Kara Kuri line.

Would you like to see more of what the toy can do?

Shout our in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews!

Credit(s): Seibertron YouTube Channel, Robosen

Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101188)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on April 9th, 2021 @ 6:50pm CDT
I have honestly never wanted a transformer toy as badly as I want this. sadly, I am trying to move, and with the housing market broken as it is, I just cant afford the $700 to have this very OP optimus.
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101189)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on April 9th, 2021 @ 7:00pm CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:I might be going blind in my old age, as I couldn't see the video link for the advert, so here it is, if it hasn't been linked to yet:

- https://youtu.be/GSc0JTanOnQ

Didn't Robosen also make their own transforming robot toys before, including a an unofficial, "KO/3P" Optimus Prime figure, unless this was just a custom version of their regular, grey bot?

- https://youtu.be/iC5uXxwuR3A

I believe this bot below is a prototype of the new, official version?

- https://youtu.be/0mCp7PHpw0Q

Also, here's how their previous bot is controlled by the app:

- https://youtu.be/tgSAX_ouYDw

Excellent point, how many OS updates will this be supported for; 2,3? Is that Deadpool head app still around?
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101194)
Posted by cloudballoon on April 9th, 2021 @ 8:41pm CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:I'm a bit concerned about apps, as they aren't always supported for the future, meaning that, unless a hardware controller of some sort is also included (or can be bought separately to use with it), then the functionality of this rather expensive toy will become limited.

These type of IoT app most likely controls the bot by Bluetooth. The solution is probably install the app in an old phone that you don't use anymore. With so many people upgrading their phone every 2~3 years, they're easy to find among friends even if you don't have one laying under the couch/drawers.
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101195)
Posted by EunuchRon on April 9th, 2021 @ 8:46pm CDT
Whoa, dude! They're REAL! I mean, LOOK AT IT! We can make dis stuff now, imagine a thousand years we'll be makin' the real deal. I mean, maybe Earth will become Cybertron, and we're the creators. Mind freakin' blown. :BOOM:
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101200)
Posted by primalxconvoy on April 9th, 2021 @ 9:19pm CDT
cloudballoon wrote:

That's one way, but not everyone keeps their phones, or has a working phone. Also, the app itself might be pulled from Google Play or Apple's shop. Updates could also be made to the app that breaks it and/or makes it a subscription service, etc (which has happened with other "smart" devices). Finally, part of the system this toy relies upon might be cloud-based, meaning that if the servers are turned-off, full or part functionality is lost (again,, which has happened to other smart/connected devices).

I don't want to take such a gamble on such an expensive product.
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101202)
Posted by YRQRM0 on April 9th, 2021 @ 9:34pm CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:
cloudballoon wrote:

I don't want to take such a gamble on such an expensive product.

I agree that an old phone is very easy to get ahold of, but I share the sentiment about a hardware controller being better. It looked like from the other demo video thought that a lot could be done without the app? If you can voice command/transform him without the app, assuming he's not actively getting firmware updates that break him, he could still be worth it for me. Maybe.
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101203)
Posted by AgeEighty on April 9th, 2021 @ 9:46pm CDT
In some shots his head is attached to a flap a la Powermaster Prime and in some it's not; I wonder what that situation actually is.

I'm not too worried about the app concerns. Seems unlikely a physical controller could even begin to offer all the features he's got, and I can always get hold of an old phone and sideload an old version of the app.
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101208)
Posted by Emerje on April 9th, 2021 @ 10:08pm CDT
Man, I don't need this and it would probably just stand on a shelf doing nothing, but I also give in to temptation pretty easily when it comes to Transformers. I watched the CNET video and I'm starting to wish my credit card didn't bump up my limit...

=P~

These have come a long ways since the spindly, brick-footed, thin paneled bots that looked like they'd shake apart just walking. This Prime looks as good as any Optimus Prime figure on the market, looks great in both modes, has lights and sounds with Peter Cullen's voice, and can both walk and drive around. At 19" tall, to me, this is a $700 item. The Robosen T9 came out at $500 (they're about $400 now), and has a lot of the same features as Optimus, but is quite a bit smaller and doesn't come with accessories, and doesn't talk (and certainly isn't Optimus Prime). I'm undecided.

Emerje
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101210)
Posted by primalxconvoy on April 9th, 2021 @ 10:31pm CDT
Another problem with the app is that it isn't available for everyone's (Android) device, not is it available in every geographical region. For example, in Japan, many of the TF apps and games available to Americans are not available here, it of they are, they're usually much later. In some cases with apps, such as the AWFUL Japanese version of Disney+, the app has limited content and Japanese language only GUIs.

In the picture below, you can see that the app is available at Google Play (as a beta), via the website, but it's not available at the Google Play app for my phone in Japan.

ZomboDroid 10042021122504.jpg
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101213)
Posted by Emerje on April 9th, 2021 @ 11:20pm CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:Yes, I understand that this is primarily available in the US, but as fans, we live in an age of importing things from online. With digital products, there are then extra (unneeded) obstacles, seemingly added artificially IMO, which hinders value.

You'll have to take that up with Takara Tomy. Hasbro has nothing to do with the Japanese market so there's little in it for them to fund a Japanese version of the app while they do sell toys in the rest of the world. If TT decides to offer this as well (and they would be crazy not to!) then you'll get your Japanese app. It does have preloaded voice commands so it isn't completely useless without the app.

Emerje
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101215)
Posted by primalxconvoy on April 9th, 2021 @ 11:39pm CDT
My point isn't with Hasbro or Takara per sec, but rather the limitations in place for what is a rather expensive product. We need to be careful before buying products like these, due to the problems relating to geological, software availability, hardware ,language, etc.

These problems aren't such an issue with an "analogue" or regular TF toy, but with digital products, there are more barriers to entry. As for Japan, of it was available, I fear it would have Japanese language only GUI and voice samples, thus limiting the appeal of both the American and Japanese versions for me.

Also, if the app isn't compatible with my Android device/OS (as Android is rather fragmented), that would also limit this product's relevance. I'm not going to pay 500 dollars for a toy that I can only talk to. I want to hold a physical controller and speak to it through that, whilst also using physical joysticks to control it like a real RC car/robot.

I can only hope that Hasbro and Takara work to make truly international products, such as their existing analogue range.
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101217)
Posted by william-james88 on April 9th, 2021 @ 11:43pm CDT

This definitely explains my lack of excitement over this release, it felt so passé.
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101219)
Posted by primalxconvoy on April 9th, 2021 @ 11:56pm CDT
I suspect it was their prototype.
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101230)
Posted by Dead Metal on April 10th, 2021 @ 3:08am CDT
william-james88 wrote:Just curious, am I the only one who's friends have been sending the video of this same toy for years now?

No you're not. There have been versions of this shown off for years now. The difference is, that it looks like Hasbro now actually gave them an official licence to actually sell it. Before it was just something to show off their tech and was never intended to be an actual product.

This is cool, but I'm not going to go check out what it costs because I'm sure it's not in my budget.
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101231)
Posted by Emerje on April 10th, 2021 @ 3:10am CDT
I remember that one, but the new one does everything much better. The head lights fold into the arms instead of sitting on his back, the front wheels stay on the hips rather than hanging off the arms, the working lights and sounds, and the overall fit of everything looks much more solid like I would expect from a finished product. If pre-orders are still open in few months I seriously might go for it, just need to do some financial juggling first (which I'm already doing, it has nothing to do with this).

Emerje
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101244)
Posted by GeekyGamer Gal on April 10th, 2021 @ 7:46am CDT
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101252)
Posted by primalxconvoy on April 10th, 2021 @ 8:41am CDT
GeekyGamer Gal wrote:I would just like to add for people concerned about the life expectancy of the app, but I'm certain once this guy gets released that there will be some hobbyist robotics groups that would jump at the chance to hack one of these guys. I know the one I was apart of, before they fell apart due to some strong personalities, would probably already be pre-ordering two or three apiece to take one apart, one to hack, and one to keep as original, but still functioning, as possible. The good thing about most of these groups is that the steps and software used to hack this OP will be available for free.

That's great, but I'm not sure if it's an option for everyone. Of course, we cannot say for certain about any of these possible problems, as it's not known if it is cloud based, but regardless, here's an article about the "death" of a cloud-based robot:

- https://www.kinvert.com/anki-robotics-c ... ting-down/

And let's not forget about the original Aibo:

- https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech ... -in-japan/
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101274)
Posted by DeathReviews on April 10th, 2021 @ 2:17pm CDT
Pretty neat. But 'walking Optimus' looks more like 'shuffling/wobbling Optimus'. The walking action doesn't seem any more advanced than the old wind-up toys of yesteryear. They just set the figure wobbling, and hope that some of it somehow carries the figure in a vaguely forward-ish direction.

Ah well. Neat figure, anyway. I share the concern voiced by others about how well the app will be supported in the future. Sure it's brand new NOW - but many apps become defunct and unsupported in less than a year. Before plunking down any of your mortal 'skretch', we'd want some pretty solid promises that the app will REMAIN supported indefinitely.
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101299)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on April 10th, 2021 @ 8:48pm CDT
Apparently it has pre-order sold out.
Re: Video Showing Off Auto-Converting Programmable Optimus Prime Transforming Skills (2101321)
Posted by Emerje on April 11th, 2021 @ 6:55am CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:Apparently it has pre-order sold out.

Still showing up as available to pre-order for me.

Emerje

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Trypticon Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #276 - Whoops! All Bumblebees
"Whoops! All Bumblebees"
Posted: Sunday, May 16th, 2021

Buy "LG50 Sixshot | Japanese Transformers Legends Import Takara Tomy Generations" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS 1985 G1 Hasbro  Milton Bradley Card # 47 Purple Vs Blue Sky Variant" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Scourge, 100% Complete, MOC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Nightbeat, 100% Complete, MOC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Roadburn Chase" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS 2016 Generations Titans Return BRAINSTORM & TESLOR Figure SDCC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Deluxe Class FIREDRIVE & HOT ROD Complete" on EBAY