Vince DiCola Interview At 'Music4Games.Net'

Vince DiCola Interview At 'Music4Games.Net'

Monday, April 14th, 2008 7:33pm CDT

Categories: People News, Digital Media News, Interviews
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 23,803

'Music4Games.Net' interviews fan-favorite Transformers music composer Vince DiCola because he is recording a new song called "Moon Over The Castle" for 'Gran Turismo 5's Prologue:

Vince DiCola is best known as the composer for Transformers: The Movie (original animated version) and Rocky IV. Among his scoring accolades, he was a co-nominee for the "Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special" Grammy Award for co-writing the soundtrack to the movie Staying Alive and the song "The Touch" from Transformers: The Movie soundtrack won DiCola an Apex award for Best Original Song - Fantasy/Science Fiction/Horror. Having spent the last decade or so producing music with numerous artists and working as a session musician for various recording projects, DiCola recently collaborated with the Japanese band T-Square for the new arrangement of the main theme music "Moon Over The Castle" for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. M4G caught up with the composer to find out how he got involved with the soundtrack and why he became inspired by the modern age of video game music...

About Transformers music...

M4G: I have to ask a question regarding the many Transformers-based video games that have been released over the years. Was there ever any interest from game developers to have you compose new music for any of these titles? It would have seemed to be the perfect choice for the games.
Vince DiCola: At a Transformers convention years ago a gentleman who claimed to be developing a Transformers-based video game at the time approached me. Nothing ever came of that, however. I would certainly welcome an opportunity to contribute music to any project related to Transformers, considering my history with the franchise.

M4G: Similarly, were you ever considered for the latest Transformers (2007) film?
Vince DiCola: With the help of my long-time friend and manager Robin Garb, my composing partner Kenny Meriedeth and I did submit some material for the 2007 live-action film. We were aware from the beginning that director Michael Bay was specifically looking to distance the new movie from the original animated version as much as possible. As much as I’d like to believe our package at least made it into Bay’s hands based on my history with the Transformers franchise, I have a strong suspicion we were ruled out before he even listened to any of the music we submitted (if he ever even listened at all!). That having been said, many are certainly aware by now that yet another sequel is in the works, and let’s just say I can be persistent!

M4G: To delve back in time for a moment, how did you come to be involved with scoring "Rocky IV" and the original "Transformers: The Movie"?
Vince DiCola: I mentioned my work on the movie “Staying Alive” earlier. That movie was written and directed by Sylvester Stallone, and I had been working with his brother Frank for some time when the “Staying Alive” opportunity came about. As everyone knows, getting ahead in the music business (as with any other business) relies heavily on personal relationships, and I was very fortunate to have had these particular relationships in place when the opportunity for “Rocky IV” came along. (My manager Robin Garb was also the music supervisor for both “Staying Alive” and “Rocky IV”, so that certainly didn’t hurt.)

Read the rest of the interview of the composer of the original Transformers Movie Soundtrack here.

Nice to hear about what Vince is up to lately! 'Dare' and the rest of the original movie soundtrack really scored with Transformers fans, and helped to make that movie what it is to us all. Thanks Vince!

*Thanks to Hans, and others for reminding me that Vince and Stan are indeed separate entities. Apologies to all.

Credit(s): Music4Games.Net

This article was last modified on Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 6:12am CDT

Re: Vince DiCola Interview At 'Music4Games.Net' (680654)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 14th, 2008 @ 7:46pm CDT
Aww man. Bay turned him don before listening? That bites. :(
Re: Vince DiCola Interview At 'Music4Games.Net' (680680)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 14th, 2008 @ 8:08pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Aww man. Bay turned him don before listening? That bites. :(

Well that's his theory. Sounds like he is raring to try to get on TF2. It'll be hard to do since the score was so well received from the first movie.
Re: Vince DiCola Interview At 'Music4Games.Net' (680718)
Posted by Autobot Jazz on April 14th, 2008 @ 9:15pm CDT
This is a little off topic, but where can I get one of those awesome Seibertron shirts!?
Re: Vince DiCola Interview At 'Music4Games.Net' (680737)
Posted by Roboto750 on April 14th, 2008 @ 9:46pm CDT
Boy they really messed that one up! Those pics are of STAN BUSH not Vince DiCola! Plus, the part towards the end seems to make reference to "The Touch." Vince had nothing to do with that song (however, he did with "Dare").
Re: Vince DiCola Interview At 'Music4Games.Net' (680833)
Posted by Hans on April 14th, 2008 @ 11:59pm CDT
Um... yeah. Unless Vince has undergone a complete metamorphosis, that's actually Stan Bush in the pics.
Re: Vince DiCola Interview At 'Music4Games.Net' (680837)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on April 15th, 2008 @ 12:08am CDT
While I enjoy Stan Bush as well as Vince DiCola, they are, in fact, two different people.

Seibs, what's going on? How'd you mix these two crazy rockers up?
Re: Vince DiCola Interview At 'Music4Games.Net' (680929)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 15th, 2008 @ 6:02am CDT
Yes, yes, sorry I messed it up. I'll go clean it up right now.

I knew there was a disconnect there, but for some reason I went after Stan Bush. Just trying to remember the good times, I guess. :P
Re: Vince DiCola Interview At 'Music4Games.Net' (680936)
Posted by Hans on April 15th, 2008 @ 6:23am CDT
Re: Vince DiCola Interview At 'Music4Games.Net' (680948)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 15th, 2008 @ 6:40am CDT
Hans wrote:Lol. For a moment there, you actually had me. I thought to myself: "wow, Vince has CHANGED". :P

Yeah, me make oopsie... :oops: Too much something... 8-}

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 03 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Crowbar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOT SHOTS JUMP SHOT BUMBLEBEE, Bot Shots 2013" on EBAY
Buy "????Transformers Generations Deluxe Thrilling 30 Autobot Skids w/ IDW comic MOSC????" on EBAY
Buy "Perceptor Transformers Super 7 reaction figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 3 Dark of The Moon Movie Cyberverse Legion Class Topspin Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Botcon 2014 Transformers ATTENDEE Exclusive Kreon Kreo Kre-o Fractyl" on EBAY
Buy "Botcon 2014 Transformers ATTENDEE Exclusive Kreon Kreo Kre-o Rattrap" on EBAY
Buy "Botcon 2015 Transformers Kre-o Kreo Kreon G1 Nightbird New Attendee Only" on EBAY
Buy "Botcon 2015 Transformers Kre-o Kreo Kreon Robot Master New Attendee Only" on EBAY