Transformers News: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93

Monday, July 10th, 2017 4:20PM CDT

Category: People News
Posted by: Bronzewolf   Views: 14,387

Fellow Seibertronian xRotorstormx has alerted us to the sad fact that the well known voice director Wally Burr has passed away at the age of 93. He was known for his work on Akira, Jem, and, most notably, the 1980's Transformers TV series and it's follow up 1986 theatrical film, as well as many other classic pieces of media.

Wally was imperative in the 1970's-1980's Cartoon landscape, and his impact, while often underappreciated, will live on in the shows and films he worked on. Many of our favorite classic shows, including our beloved Transformers, would have been very different without Wally's influence and his signature perfection-driven direction. He will be truly missed, and the thoughts of Seibertron.com are with his friends and family.

Transformers News: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, more Passes Away at 93

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895650)
Posted by Deadput on July 10th, 2017 @ 4:30pm CDT
R.I.P

The voice work was easily the best part of the G1 cartoon and we should be appreciative that for however strict he was on the job he made sure the results were quality.

God bless his soul.
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895655)
Posted by o.supreme on July 10th, 2017 @ 4:40pm CDT
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895667)
Posted by Relic0037 on July 10th, 2017 @ 5:01pm CDT
R.I.P. Wally! You had a hand in helping create some shows that were an important part of many of our childhoods.
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895669)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on July 10th, 2017 @ 5:01pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:Met him at BC in 2004, and was there when Maurice LeMarche made his apology at the RB panel at BC 2013, and Burr was unexpectedly there. Glad they buried that hatchet before he passed.

I'm not familiar with the story, what happened between the two?

This guy created the template that all the great cartoons of the 80's followed. He should be mentioned in the same hushed tones as the greats directors of Hollywood.
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895678)
Posted by WreckerJack on July 10th, 2017 @ 5:31pm CDT
Sad to see him pass. A great thanks to him for his work.
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895697)
Posted by Megatronformayor on July 10th, 2017 @ 7:05pm CDT
R.I.P Wally Burr :-(
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895715)
Posted by fenrir72 on July 10th, 2017 @ 8:12pm CDT
Without his guiding hand, the character we have grown to love would not have been memorable! G1/Wally Rulez!
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895745)
Posted by Rated X on July 10th, 2017 @ 9:49pm CDT
R.I.P. Wally Burr :BOWDOWN:

Me and my homie were lucky enough to hang out with him at the bar and have a drink at Botcon 2013. We asked him all kinda stuff it was like we had our own private pannel at the bar. I thought he was in his 70s. He looked great for his age. He was a really great guy.
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895765)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 10th, 2017 @ 10:46pm CDT
He gave me a complement at BotCon 2013. RIP. :-(
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895801)
Posted by Albatross250 on July 11th, 2017 @ 1:37am CDT
Till All Are One. :( :BOT: :CON:
R.I.P :-(
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895883)
Posted by o.supreme on July 11th, 2017 @ 9:11am CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:I'm not familiar with the story, what happened between the two?

I'm sure the exact words are documented somewhere, however the gist is that in conventions past numerous VA's had some less than respectful things to say about Wally Burr, not just LaMarche. At the time (1970's, 80's etc...) I'm sure Burr was a harsh boss to work for, because he demanded perfection, which is one of the reasons why shows like the original Transformers and GI Joe: A Real American Hero are still so beloved by fans. Some directors would just have the actors do their part as quick as possible and move on (you can imagine someone like Frank Welker probably recorded several shows in a day). But Burr is sighted as one of the reasons why Voice Actor sessions now cannot go beyond 4 hours, instead of the 8 hour maximum they used to be.

Because I'm merely human ;) , I don't want to overthink and wonder if the apology was genuine, or to placate fans and Wally Burr, but in either case it was the right thing to do, and glad it was done.

I've had a horrible boss or two in my life, but I don't feel the need to use an audience as a forum or social media to drag them through the mud.
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895906)
Posted by triKlops on July 11th, 2017 @ 10:02am CDT
RIP
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895915)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 11th, 2017 @ 10:37am CDT
I'm trying to find his true birth year, but conflicting sources disagree on whether it's 1926 or 1924, and most of these sources are either Wikis or other editable-by-fans websites.

His own official website doesn't appear to have any info about his birth either.
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895918)
Posted by o.supreme on July 11th, 2017 @ 10:44am CDT
Is IMDB editable?

6/2/24

Voice Chasers has the same info, at least to edit I think you have to register.

http://voicechasers.com/database/showac ... torid=1762
Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, and More Passes Away at 93 (1895920)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 11th, 2017 @ 10:47am CDT
o.supreme wrote:Is IMDB editable?
Yes. Tis as reliable (or not) as Wikipedia.
Transformers products from AMAZON

"Everyone Gets Counterpunched"
Posted: Sunday, September 23rd, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon

Buy "Transformers UN09 TF United Megatron" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers legends LG14 ultra Magnus" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Onslaught Combiner Wars Generations Voyager Class Figure BOX DAMAGE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Last Knight Bumblebee Optimus Prime Megatron Voice Changer Mask 5+" on EBAY
Buy "Electronic Fire Station Prime TRANSFORMERS Rescue Bots Optimus playset 2010 toy" on EBAY
Buy "Universal Studios Transformers Ride 3-D 16" Bumblebee & Optimus Prime Plush Set" on EBAY
Buy "HASBRO TRANSFORMERS STUDIO SERIES 08 LEADER CLASS DECEPTICON BLACKOUT FIGURE" on EBAY
Buy "POWERGLIDE Transformers 3 DOTM Movie Commander Class 4" inch Figure 2011" on EBAY