Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron

Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron

Wednesday, April 5th, 2017 9:28am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 52,856

The Chosen Prime has sent out a warning of possible paint chipping on the new Masterpiece Megatron toy that will be caused in a number of ways. This message was both to show how to avoid this chipping and to inform customers that damage due to Transforming the toy would not be grounds for a return. This is probably the same for other stores, so beware.
While we are talking of problems found with this new toy, there have been numerous posts of breakage at different parts. So check these photos out below the paint chipping warning to see what parts require extra attention when transforming. Good luck to you all and we hope you can still enjoy this toy!

Hello everyone,

If you are receiving this email it means that you have purchased Takara Tomy MP-36 Megatron from The Chosen Prime and we would like to thank you for your patronage. Takara Tomy has yet again made a great stride in innovation and design with this figure. However, with this groundbreaking design, we have encountered a few cautionary issues we would like you to be aware of. After taking a few days with the figure myself and having another copy in the hands of our reviewer Andrew, we felt it was best to proactively let everyone know of these potential issues.

First, we have experienced paint wear and flaking do to he transformation sequence and complexity of the figure. This is something that we have noticed both upon opening the figure and also after a few times through the transformation process. Please keep in mind, The Chosen Prime will not be able to assist with paint defects on this figure so we urge you to be careful as you step through the transformation and know that you may still experience some paint related issues.

We have also encountered a fitment issue when applying the silencer to the barrel. This process caused extensive wear and black “scuffing” on the diecast barrel after only two times of applying and removing it. Due to this, we are recommending that you DO NOT apply this accessory to the figure at all. And again, please be advised that The Chosen Prime cannot fix damage caused by transformation.

If this email reaches you and you don’t wish to proceed with your purchase, we completely understand and will offer a complete refund for the figure at your request. Please send any such requests prior to your item shipping out. If you item has already shipped, please refuse shipment and refunds will be processed immediately upon the items return to our headquarters. If you have any additional questions please let me know.

Sincerely,
Brandon Weik
The Chosen Prime

Transformers News: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron

Credit(s): Chosen Prime

Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871891)
Posted by SpaceKaseJase on April 5th, 2017 @ 9:36am CDT
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871893)
Posted by Cyberpath on April 5th, 2017 @ 9:37am CDT
Some more info from the other board:

Here is the original link that shows how the leg of mp36 Megatron got broken.
It is said that we should loosen the screw in thigh a bit to avoid it. But, which screws are these?

Open the two black flaps over his butt to expose a screw, give it about a 1/4 turn to loosen. Legs will transform fine then.

Thanks. Would this help to pull down the legs easily during transformation to gun?

Yep, that's exactly what loosening that screw will affect. (the hips coming down)
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871894)
Posted by william-james88 on April 5th, 2017 @ 9:39am CDT
SpaceKaseJase wrote:My Megatron is on its way, so I have no idea whether there will be QC issues with it or not. My biggest concern is whether or not Takara will fix/replace these figs. Doubt the vendor will considering this happens during transformation. Anyone contacted Takara yet? I'm currently working in my brain how repairs can be made should this happen to my fig. Perhaps those more talented than I can begin creating 3d printed replacement parts a-la Shapeways. I only paid $167 USD for mine (with shipping), but I still feel it is WAY overpriced considering the QC issues. $230 is friggin highway robbery.

I tried contacting Takara once for a production error on Legends Blackarachnia and it was a nightmare. Their customer service is only Japanese since they are not responsible for distribution outside of Japan.
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871896)
Posted by DeathReviews on April 5th, 2017 @ 9:43am CDT
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871897)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on April 5th, 2017 @ 9:48am CDT
this is something I've been very worried about with megs since getting the beastwars mps. both are loosing paint due to transformation, but in cheetor's case specifically every componant is covered in pain wich is causing huge tolerance issues, nearly breaking one hip and one shoulder. was able to work some magic to save him. hopefully I will be able to do the same with megs. might need to shave the paint down on some pegs and connections. not sure if the barrel shown in the pic would be something fixable though. mine should be in monday so I will find out
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871898)
Posted by ZeroGFrame on April 5th, 2017 @ 9:48am CDT
DeathReviews wrote:I regrettably cancelled my pre-order. After waiting so long for a decent MP Megatron, I do not want to be burned by a faulty one that breaks and damages easy under normal handling. Too bad, it LOOKED good.....

Or just don't transform him. I got the first MP Megs, and Apollyon, and never actually transformed either of them due to complexity and damage concerns (I keep them all in bot mode anyway). These are great warnings, but honestly MP figures aren't meant to be "played" with. They're for collectors, and meant to look good and that's all.
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871899)
Posted by william-james88 on April 5th, 2017 @ 9:51am CDT
ZeroGFrame wrote:but honestly MP figures aren't meant to be "played" with. They're for collectors, and meant to look good and that's all.

MP 10 and Wheeljack are a blast to play with and are as durable as any other TF figure.
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871901)
Posted by Bumblebee21 on April 5th, 2017 @ 9:55am CDT
william-james88 wrote:

yeah. these are toys. if they werent meant to transform then they should be statues.
they are called transformers for a reason.
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871904)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on April 5th, 2017 @ 9:57am CDT
william-james88 wrote:

agreed. most of my mp figures post mp10 have been quite playable. soundwave being the exception. im so worried about breaking his legs, and lazerbeak and ravage both broke immediately out of the package
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871905)
Posted by Bumblebee21 on April 5th, 2017 @ 9:59am CDT
Immortal Starscream wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

you got a bad soundwave then
which version
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871906)
Posted by SpaceKaseJase on April 5th, 2017 @ 10:02am CDT
Was thinking of an idea to fix the broken post issues. Since each one tends to have some plastic either behind or surrounding the base (where it is broken), perhaps using a tap and die with the correct size could work. Drill out the broken base (not all the way through, of course), then use a tap to create threads in the hole. Next, find (or shape) a nylon cylinder that will fit the hole. Use a die with the same thread count as the tap and form threads around the cylinder. Screw the post into place using epoxy to prevent "unscrewing" when turning the part around the post. The nylon would never snap, and the threads and epoxy should prevent twisting and pulling from the base. Voila! Would welcome other (or better) ideas.
LMKWYT
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871907)
Posted by Diem on April 5th, 2017 @ 10:03am CDT
If anyone needs help with contacting Takara about this in Japanese please PM me (my Japanese isn't amazing or anything but I should be able to get the point across). The more they hear back about this the more likely it is that there could be a running change fixing issues, as with MP-09, and at the risk of profiling, American and European consumers are a lot better at getting complaints heard than the Japanese.

Personally speaking I'm glad there's a good reason to hold off on this figure (since I can't afford it right now) but this sucks for anyone who's already bought it.

I'd definitely be interested to know if this is the result of actual design flaws, or just individual QC issues. These things can get blown out of proportion, but the MP line has had its fatal flaws before...
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871908)
Posted by Bumblebee21 on April 5th, 2017 @ 10:05am CDT
the gun barrel breakage is from the silencer being too tight
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871909)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on April 5th, 2017 @ 10:06am CDT
Bumblebee21 wrote:
Immortal Starscream wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

you got a bad soundwave then
which version

first release takara. im sure the legs are fine, but they are held on with such small thin plastic posts im just worried about man-handling them. but ravage all but crumbled, like G.P.S.. lazerbeaks pin joints in his thrusters were so tight they split apart
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871914)
Posted by Mindmaster on April 5th, 2017 @ 10:28am CDT

I would've waited an eternity for this [display]...
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871916)
Posted by frogbat on April 5th, 2017 @ 10:40am CDT
Mindmaster wrote:My Megatron came in this morning. After handling and transforming him, I haven't had any major QC issues aside from very, very minute scuffing of the barrel from applying the silencer. I'm just in love with this thing.

I would've waited an eternity for this [display]...

that's an awesome display

i was very eager to get this guy but the price is a bit too much at the moment. I hope that he will be re released and soemof these QC issues get sorted...
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871918)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on April 5th, 2017 @ 10:44am CDT
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871920)
Posted by cruizerdave on April 5th, 2017 @ 10:47am CDT
It seems that Masterpiece Megatrons are cursed! CURSED I TELL YOU!
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871925)
Posted by First Gen on April 5th, 2017 @ 10:54am CDT
This is extremely disheartening. At the price point I'd expect a figure thats more durable and well built, not one I gotta just leave in bot mode cause of poor design flaws. 200.00 bucks. Damn.
Re: Warning of Breakage and Heavy Paint Chipping on MP 36 Masterpiece Megatron (1871933)
Posted by Diem on April 5th, 2017 @ 11:14am CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:And this is one reason that puts me off buying the few Masterpiece figures I do like the look of (such as Shockwave, does he have any QC issues?) You'd think for the crazy costs of these figures they could have great quality control.

There are some individual QA issues that are just part of the nature of figures with these many parts and paint apps, and there are some issues that are endemic to the line (like diecast metal shedding paint more easily than plastic does) but these are the only widely known issues that I am aware of:
MP-5 Megatron - easily snapped plastic clips, rust-like discolouration on feet.
MP-8 Grimlock - original release had a screw inside the leg that rubbed chrome off the tail when transformed into robot mode. Most if not all later releases corrected this.
MP-08 Rodimus Prime - Paint easily rubbed off spoiler, leg joints break easily, shoulders break easily (US version). The paint issue was fixed, the other issues apply to all releases of this mold that I know of.

And, well, this Megatron apparently.

If anyone knows of any other issues do please correct me.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Chase Brush Fire Boulder Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Kre-O 30662 Ratchet new sealed hasbro unopened 187 pieces" on EBAY
Buy "ULTRA MAGNUS Transformers Kingdom War For Cybertron Trilogy Leader Class 2021" on EBAY
Buy "KRE-O TRANSFORMERS LOT IRONHIDE & MEGATRON KREON BATTLE CHANGER SEALED" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS OPTIMUS PRIME AUTOBOT TRUCK DIECAST 1:32 JADA HOLLYWOOD NEW!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise Autobot Ratchet Deluxe Action Figure " on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS SALVAGE, Griffin Rock Construction Team Flip Racer 2017" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Battle In Moon Light Cyberverse Optimus Prime Trailer Part" on EBAY