Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series

Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series

Saturday, December 28th, 2013 5:32pm CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 48,929

Mairghread Scott, after the recent posts made on her take on the language used to describe her approach to Windblade and her thoughts on IDW's Arcee, posted earlier today, has answered a couple more fan questions. These were collected by Jason Enright (her husband) and posted on his Tumblr, but you can find them pasted below!

Hey Tumblr TF Fans,

So Mairghread took some time to answer some questions a TFW2005 Windblade Fan Page. Thought I’d copy and paste them here in case any of you don’t read that board. Remember too you can always ask her direct at her tumblr mscottwrites.

And here are the answers I have so far:

Mairghread Scott: Gotten a few asks about Windblade’s “Kabuki” elements. This can’t be answered in too much detail yet, but Windblade’s markings do have meaning and are important to both her and her backstory. However, I have no intention of presenting her in any sort of stereotypical geisha or hand-over-her-mouth-anime-girl role. The first art Hasbro released has her with a rather deadly looking sword and a pretty grim expression. Also, she turns into a military jet, so I’m not really seeing her as a very kawaii character.

You can already read my discussion of what I think about Arcee’s origin on my tumblr (also MScottWrites) and I think I’ve established that I don’t intend for Windblade to originate from the same place. (Plus, I’m pretty sure John Barber would string me up by my toes if I did.) I don’t want to address it more than that because…you know…spoilers, but I can say that I’m much more interested in writing new stories than ret-conning old ones.

Smart money would say IDW did not go to trouble they have to launch Windblade the way they’re doing if she was going to be the only other fembot in all of TF continuity. Just saying.

As to how long we have, I’ll be blunt: We’ve got a 4 issue mini-series that everyone is praying will become an ongoing, but, like every other comic, we have got to prove ourselves from Issue 1. That means we need pre-orders and A LOT of them. Not: ‘I’ll pick it up when I’m at my shop.’ Not ‘I’ll borrow from a friend’ if you want Windblade to keep going the ONLY way to do that is to get your store to pre-order it. Tell them to order lots of it and get your friends to pre-order too. If you don’t have a story, BUY it on Comixology or a similar app, but encourage your friends who do have a store to pre-order and buy. I’ll try to provide a little help when the official solicitation is released to make it easier on those new to the process.

In terms of how Windblade views other transformers and their genders: well, this is a bit spoiler-y, but she’s not exactly going to be shocked that guy transformers exist and since they are all still robots, gender is still going to be a lot less pressing to them than it is to us. Also, you know, it’s Transformers, so I’m pretty sure there are going to be more pressing issues for everyone than ‘date night.’

Anyone looking for a tease in terms of the ‘wrath’ I mentioned. Hmmm… how about TFBH having murder, cannibalism, societal collapse, PTSD, and the (perceived) apocalypse itself? That I wrote ‘Stronger, Faster’ and ‘Hurt’ and can’t even make it through a Rescue Bots episode without putting someone’s life in danger. So, while I am shooting to make TF Windblade a little more hopeful than my normal work, danger and excitement should probably be expected.

Regarding a toy: I’m pretty sure Hasbro made some kind of announcement on this, but that’s really their domain.

In terms of the poll that made Windblade, I’ve never been shown any numbers so I can’t speak officially. Just from my own business sense, I’m not sure why a company would ask people to make the transformers they want to buy and then not go with the most popular option. But, as I said, that would be a question for toy.

Anyway, we’re lining up some good interviews so keep your eyes peeled for more on the book itself, but these should answer some of the more specific questions floating around out there.

'Til All Are One,
Mairghread

Credit(s): Mairghread Scott, Jason Enright

This article was last modified on Saturday, December 28th, 2013 5:35pm CST

Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538085)
Posted by megatronus on December 28th, 2013 @ 5:59pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:Gahhhh!!!

Calm down.

Just. Calm. Down.
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538086)
Posted by Mindmaster on December 28th, 2013 @ 6:01pm CST
Burn wrote:Mindmaster = Speedy Gonzales ...

What can I say? When it comes to Transformers, I have no life.
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538087)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 28th, 2013 @ 6:01pm CST
megatronus wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Gahhhh!!!

Calm down.

Just. Calm. Down.
I... was?

That "gahhhh" doesn't reflect how I felt in that post. I was serious, but not mad.
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538092)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on December 28th, 2013 @ 7:06pm CST
Irritated at the part about Transformers not having genetic material, given that "genetic material" simply consists of data providing guidelines for something's creation - which I believe has been repeatedly established to exist in Transformers in some form.

From there, how strange is it to think that Transformers would reproduce through dyadic sexual reproduction?

Mitotic Asexual reproduction yields poor diversification, and triadic sexual reproduction would be unnecessarily inefficient, though it would make perfect sense to me for Cybertronians to do any and all of the above, to adapt to the needs of the situation.

And considering Jhiaxus's master, Nova Prime, was obsessed with finding a way to reproduce Cybertronians independent of Cybertron and the Matrix, how does it not make perfect sense for Jhiaxus to experiment with replicating a reproductive mechanism used in other species? Or /maybe/ to recreate a system of reproduction lost in the fog of time?

So, I say bring out the female Transformers (and the feminine Transformers. And all the other possible permutations).

Reveal a population of female Transformers in diaspora, like Tolkien's Entwives, or reveal that all Transformers are actually capable of choosing their sex (they aren't human, after all, and can make substantial bodily modifications at will), and explore the cultural pressures/biases/assumptions that have led to a unisex population. Explore the ramifications of that revelation for the population - who chooses to become female, and is it okay for anyone, or are some Cybertronians ostracized for the choice? How are they treated as a whole? What about the ones who switch back and forth frequently? Or don't want to be either? And what do the distinct constructs of sex, orientation, and gender mean for a Transformer?

Being so very human, and so very alien, lends itself to some radical exploration of intergroup dynamics. If Cybertronian gender is innate and culturally defined (as in humans), but reproductive biology is fluid (unlike humans), that really mucks with social dominance theory on Cybertron.
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538093)
Posted by xyl360 on December 28th, 2013 @ 7:07pm CST
Doesn't the Kabuki facepaint just harken back to the G1 character Nijika, the robo-Geisha which Perceptor's consciousness temporarily inhabited in one episode? Everyone is freaking out about it, but I think it's just another G1 nod/fanwank, nothing to lose your shit over. I mean sure, it may not look great in our opinions, but I think they were just trying (yet again) to throw some "Geewun" love into the mix for us old school fans. No reason to totally rip them for it or wonder where it comes from. I don't think for a second that it's a "Japanese culture" thing. I think it's a straight up "hey, remember that "Nijika" character from the old G1 cartoon?" thing, and that's all. Of course, they're going to 'explain' it in the comics, but that doesn't mean anything. Hasbro designed it before any of the comic book writers even heard of it, and that includes the facepaint.

edit: To add, I believe that Drift came from the comics, but this character, Windblade, did NOT. It was created in that fan-poll for a new character/toy and with Hasbro's big idea of now trying to tie everything in the Generations toyline (of which this fan-built bot will be a member) into the IDW comics, we now have a red, female, jet, Autobot with a Kabuki face and a samurai sword.
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538099)
Posted by megatronus on December 28th, 2013 @ 7:32pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
megatronus wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Gahhhh!!!

Calm down.

Just. Calm. Down.
I... was?

Your original posts conveyed frenetic agitation. Glad to hear that wasn't the case ;)
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538101)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 28th, 2013 @ 7:49pm CST
megatronus wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
megatronus wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Gahhhh!!!

Calm down.

Just. Calm. Down.
I... was?

Tis one of the many banes of the Internet's inability to flawlessly gauge emotion. :-B
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538102)
Posted by datguy86 on December 28th, 2013 @ 7:50pm CST

Ain't that right Arcee the Secretary and Airachnid the Stalker?

Ahhh, mostly just kidding.
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538104)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 28th, 2013 @ 8:01pm CST
datguy86 wrote:I think we're all missing a vital point here. There's what Scott is attempting to do with the character, and what Japan will do to the character.

Ain't that right Arcee the Secretary and Airachnid the Stalker?

Ahhh, mostly just kidding.

Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538105)
Posted by Ultra Markus on December 28th, 2013 @ 8:03pm CST
worrying about whether this female autobot or any other female cybertronian can reproduce or
bringing up why the issues of gender is like splitting hairs, just the fact that they create a female character with feminine feelings and desires that interact with other male cybertronians whether it be windblade ,arcee or elita-1 is enough,(im not saying windblade has feelings i dont really know) i don't dig deep into the why or the what if they can get pregnant i don't really care and i certainly hope that a lot of people feel the same
even the creators of windblade aren't to concerned about it
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538111)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on December 28th, 2013 @ 9:06pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:

Ain't that right Arcee the Secretary and Airachnid the Stalker?

Ahhh, mostly just kidding.

But it's adorable :D
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538112)
Posted by T-Macksimus on December 28th, 2013 @ 9:16pm CST
I'm glad I waited a while to chime in on this one.

First I'm going to start with "YES! Bring on Windblade!!!"
My reasons for this being that 1) many of you are hating this character already FOR NO GOOD REASON WHATSOEVER and anything that pisses off the rest of the fandom this badly is just something that fills me full of glee because... well, as you all know, I'm an ***hole and I take delight in anything that irritates the rest of you and makes you whine.

2)Regardless of whatever the rest of you may think (and I truly don't give a damn what you think) all of you... no... MOST of you are human beings and no matter how much you may hate the "human" element of these stories this is still a comic created BY humans FOR humans and human characteristics are what makes characters relatable in the first place. If all you seek is brainless bot-on bot violence you should seriously consider getting some counseling because dude, that's just f'd up! For real, you've got worse issues than I do.

3) So many of you are dripping with scorn and acid-tainted remarks when you honestly don't know the first thing about the character or the story. You haven't read it, NONE of us has gotten so much as a decent spoiler or even a hint of storyline for this mini-series and yet you are ready to crucify this character faster even than what I was with the TF4 production announcement. And that's saying something because I have been just DEATH on TF4 since the first day.

Seriously, I'm thinking that some of you are after my title of "Most Vociferous Jerk on Seibertron" with the way you are attacking this character. At least when I attack the movies, there's some history of crapiness behind them but poor Windblade hasn't even had a chance to fail on her own merits and, to be honest, I don't believe she will fail. I think that Scott knows exactly what she's doing and what she's getting into and many of you need to just shut up and let her do her job. She's spent enough time fishing in this sharkticon tank to navigate the waters, avoid the bottom-feeders and man-handle the voracious yet utterly mindless monsters that are foolish enough to try to bite her hand off.
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538116)
Posted by Seibertron on December 28th, 2013 @ 9:46pm CST

Some things are best left not overcomplicating.

To those of you who are all about Transformers needing to be genderless, Transformers would become a pretty challenging and boring concept to read about a bunch of genderless robots who much be referred to without words such as him, his, her, hers, he, she, etc. Not to mention if you got your wish, I have a feeling that you guys would be bitching up a storm if a genderless Optimus Prime had a female voice actor or some other non-manly voice.

I'll take my Transformers as hims and hers. And I don't need to put any more thought into than that sentence to enjoy a fictional universe based off a child's toy brand. Thanks.
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538117)
Posted by Ultra Markus on December 28th, 2013 @ 10:21pm CST
Seibertron wrote:I hate seeing this discussion. Let me make it really simple for everyone. There are Transformers who have male appearances, speech, and mannerisms and there are Transformers who have female appearances, speech, and mannerisms. They don't reproduce in a method with which we are familiar. It's really that simple.

Some things are best left not overcomplicating.

my thoughts exactly, never has sexuality had any part of transformers, male/female relationships sure but nothing more :APPLAUSE:
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538118)
Posted by Wh33l Jck on December 28th, 2013 @ 10:27pm CST
I'm surprised by the hate on Windblade.

When I first saw the red, the sword, and the war paint, I immediately thought of Zealot from WILDCATS, which I thought was a pretty darn cool character. It sounds like she is going to be a badass, I just hope that doesn't make her flat as a character.
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538119)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 28th, 2013 @ 10:29pm CST
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Ain't that right Arcee the Secretary and Airachnid the Stalker?

Ahhh, mostly just kidding.

But it's adorable :D
"But"? We're in agreement that this Kreon is a good thing.

T-Macksimus wrote:Jerky Post of Awesome
Seibertron wrote:Simple Post of Awesome
:APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: ;)^ ;)^ ;)^ ;)^ 8) 8) 8) 8)

It's posts like these that make me really wish we also had a "saluting" emoticon. :D
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538120)
Posted by Noideaforaname on December 28th, 2013 @ 10:30pm CST
Wow, a 4-parter? Neat! And here I thought Windblade was just going to be tossed in the background or something.

"Pre-order to show your love for a brand-new unknown character" seems a bit backward, though. Guess it's necessary for comics...

Sabrblade wrote:Japan already did something indisputably awesome with the character: Turned her into a Kreon. :lol:

I kinda hope a Windblade Kreon actually happens. She's getting a Deluxe and a whole mini-series, might as well throw in a Kreon as well (which really doesn't even require any new molds or anything).
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538122)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on December 28th, 2013 @ 10:41pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:

But it's adorable :D
"But"? We're in agreement that this Kreon is a good thing.

I hope someone makes that Kreon, Has/Tak, funpub, Noideaforaname; its to great (n' adorable) not to exist :lol:
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538128)
Posted by Joetx on December 28th, 2013 @ 11:23pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:It baffles me that fan are whining about this fan-built poll winner. She's what the fans wanted, so people are essentially whining about Hasbro/IDW giving the fans what they want. :roll:

No kidding.
Re: Windblade Confirmed as 4 Issue Mini-series (1538140)
Posted by MasterSoundBlaster on December 29th, 2013 @ 1:40am CST
I don't have an issue with her being a female, I don't have an issue that she's the fan made most of us wanted, my issue is that it's beginning to sound...Driftish. Both have Swords, A Japanese motif, and are being brought in via a 4-part series. There's so many different things we could base her off of, I just don't understand why we always need some ninja-or-Japanese-esque-bot to be the answer to "We need some sorta theme for our character."

I like the proposal of the Joan of Arc concept someone mentioned earlier.

Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Speedster Boulder Flip Racers Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool Heroes" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Stealth Force Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Salvage" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots  Brushfire and Salvage Recycling" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Lot Movie Jazz Ratchet Hot Shot Bumblebee Barricade" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers -  Siege (War for Cybertron) - Battle Masters - Blowpipe - Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Mega Class Sky-Byte Shark 2001 100% Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Fire House Station Playset. "Used"" on EBAY