Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online

Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online

Monday, April 23rd, 2007 2:35pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Collectables
Posted by: Skowl   Views: 27,506

Wizards of the Coast has launched the official website for their 3D battle card game based on the Transformers Movie.

Check out some images of these transformable, battling cards on the official site.

Credit(s): Wizards of the Coast

Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95403)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on April 23rd, 2007 @ 2:39pm CDT
When do they come out?

EDIT: never mind. They come out on June 2nd. Just found it on the site.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95415)
Posted by Roboto750 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 2:48pm CDT
The alt modes look awesome. The bot modes look like crap. It's a very interesting roster, including WOC trying to pass off (what looks like) Alternator Swerve as Cliffjumper! Still wish they would've gone with the good ol' 2D format. It's been the most successful in the past with games like Pokemon, Magic, and Yu-Gi-Oh!
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95427)
Posted by Skowl on April 23rd, 2007 @ 2:55pm CDT
I think they look cool. Sure the bot modes are weak, but considering they're just small playing cards, I think it's forgiveable.

I mean, they actually transform, I think that's pretty slick.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95457)
Posted by Ransom on April 23rd, 2007 @ 3:18pm CDT
I'll give WOTC credit for coming up with the gimmick, but it does not in any way create the desire to play the game. Give me 2-D any day. And, knowing WOTC, the packs will probably be overpriced.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95491)
Posted by Zeedust on April 23rd, 2007 @ 3:48pm CDT
Is that "Pirates" game still being made?

BEcause as far as I can know, that's the only other cardboard construction game out there, and this blows those tiny little cardboard ships away. Granted, some of the bot modes are better than others, but Cliffjumper looks very nice, and the others are passable given the limits of what they're working with and the face that cratboard parts-formers is something decidedly new.

Me? I'm excited for this game. It looks like fun, and I'm eager for more info to surface.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95501)
Posted by AbsumZer0 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 3:58pm CDT
Meh. I'm sure they look better if viewed straight from the side and/or from the front but the angle of the pics makes them look like a mess.

Interestingly enough, the card version of Wreckage seems to be a tank?
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95519)
Posted by TallTiki on April 23rd, 2007 @ 4:13pm CDT
This is the craziest thing I've seen in a while. I think we just got alittle closer to the end of the world.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95573)
Posted by Jaz-Zen on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:00pm CDT
Hey, did anyone else notice this? It looks like the unnamed Movie Pick-Up Truck is gonna be a Decepticon named Dropkick. Although, it is kinda hard to tell. It could be Low-Ride Truck, but I don't think so.

What do ya'll think?
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95582)
Posted by Jaz-Zen on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:05pm CDT
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95599)
Posted by Skowl on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:22pm CDT
Jaz-Zen wrote:Almost looks like he's a "repaint" of Ironhide, since Ironhide is a Topkick pick-up truck.

Yeah, I noticed that too... Topkick/Dropkick.... can't be a coincidence...
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95633)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:38pm CDT
In paper form, they're not that great. But in toy form they'd be slick!

Hopefully these are video game characters.

Love Jetfire.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95644)
Posted by 1337W422102 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:43pm CDT
Good idea, but the execution is understandably weak.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95649)
Posted by Booda on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:48pm CDT
Amongst "constructible" card games, there's Pirates, and the less popular Race Day. I think there's also a game called Racer Knights or something.

The packs are $3.99, and you get all you need to play a game right there. Get a friend to chip in half and you're good to go. If you don't like it, you've lost a mere two bucks.

What I'm really hoping to see is that the game rules are such that the it can be played with the movie toys rather than the card cutouts.

Currently, I'm baffled as to how this game is played without dice or a game map.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95652)
Posted by Jaz-Zen on April 23rd, 2007 @ 5:49pm CDT
Oh, wait, Movie Pick-Up Truck will be deluxe-sized, so it can't be a true repaint of Ironhide, but it could be a deluxe-sized version of a Topkick. Hmmm.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95691)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on April 23rd, 2007 @ 6:14pm CDT
I'm not into card games (at all) but I like the 3-D car designs.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95699)
Posted by Tom_Servo on April 23rd, 2007 @ 6:19pm CDT
I think they're cool. They remind me of the original "transforming" 3D puzzles. Those things kicked. They made a flat picture AND a robot AND a vehicle. Awsome.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95801)
Posted by jgilkinson on April 23rd, 2007 @ 7:25pm CDT
might get me a few packs
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (95961)
Posted by Zeedust on April 23rd, 2007 @ 10:30pm CDT
Looking forward to tournaments... And seriously, two of these for four bucks isnt half bad... Glad to know the prices ins normal.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (96421)
Posted by Hairball178 on April 24th, 2007 @ 8:47am CDT
Great...transforming cards to sate my obsessive/compulsive disorder of not being able to pass up shiny objects, things to assemble, and Transformers. I bought the hell out of those Pirates ships a couple of years back; I just like putting them together (I wish I could've got a Kracken...yes, there was an expansion set with a Kracken).

If it's like Pirates, you don't need a map. To measure distances (like how far you move in a turn or if something is in range to fire upon) you use the edges of the cards.

And about the dice: Each mast of the ship has a dice value. If you target the mast of an opponent's ship, your dice roll must be higher than the mast's dice value to destroy it; when all of its sails are gone, it sinks.

Oh yeah, and get ready to lose those dice. Those things are TINY.

Hopefully WotC will make some G1 expansion sets.
Re: Wizards of the Coast Transformers 3D Battle Card Game Site Online (96830)
Posted by Blackstreak on April 24th, 2007 @ 3:18pm CDT
I took a look at those and about laughed my butt off. Doing 3D cards is a dumb looking idea. I'll buy them for the nostalgia but thats about it. And I'm a huge fan of collectible card games. Of course I only play 2 or 3 of them.

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Overlord Decepticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #275 - Non-Fungible Mailbag
"Non-Fungible Mailbag"
Posted: Saturday, May 1st, 2021

Buy "Transformers Prime Cyberverse Commander Class Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 80 84 Devastator Constructicon Scrapper" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers R.e.d. MEGATRON Vinyl RED Series Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Deluxe Starscream and wfc generations starscream lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Lot-Cyberverse Bumblebee and Jazz, Quick Change" on EBAY