Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

How to strenghten joints

Postby william-james88 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:04 am

Hey, can anyone tell me which finger nail products work for tightening joints? I used crazy glue once but it gave disastrous effects since it got stuck and the peice broke.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged, please contact us using this form.
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 3719
News Credits: 134
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: How to strenghten joints

Postby Kyleor » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Motto: "Awwww-Skeet-Skeet-Skeet!"
Weapon: Twin Automatic Machine Guns
william-james88 wrote:Hey, can anyone tell me which finger nail products work for tightening joints? I used crazy glue once but it gave disastrous effects since it got stuck and the peice broke.


It looks like clear finger nail polish, any brand, is recommended, however that can flake/rub off over time.

Also I saw "Pledge with Future Shine" recommended a lot to tighten joints and to protect chromed parts, without the possible damage from using nail polish or glue.
Don't get butthurt when you get called out for expressing closed/small/narrow minded opinions. Educate yourself and form a better opinion.


Yyyeeeeeeeeep


.
User avatar
Kyleor
Minibot
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 pm
Location: USA (not 'Murica)
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 3
Rank: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 4

Re: How to strenghten joints

Postby william-james88 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Kyleor wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Hey, can anyone tell me which finger nail products work for tightening joints? I used crazy glue once but it gave disastrous effects since it got stuck and the peice broke.


It looks like clear finger nail polish, any brand, is recommended, however that can flake/rub off over time.

Also I saw "Pledge with Future Shine" recommended a lot to tighten joints and to protect chromed parts, without the possible damage from using nail polish or glue.


Thanks!
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged, please contact us using this form.
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 3719
News Credits: 134
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby donny1975 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:42 pm

leakin' lubricant wrote:
Delta Magnus wrote:Look up "rubber care stick". It's actually for cars but it works just as well on toy rubber.


Would this do the trick Delta? How often would you say I would need to apply it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361192957337?redirect=mobile



Lots of good info in here. Just got some of this in the mail, and put it on my MP-10, Hot Rod, and PE Guardian.

That MP-10 tire cracking issue is worrisome :shock:
I am very suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I totally trust a dog that doesn't like a person...
User avatar
donny1975
Vehicon
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: How to strenghten joints

Postby Kyleor » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:32 pm

Motto: "Awwww-Skeet-Skeet-Skeet!"
Weapon: Twin Automatic Machine Guns
william-james88 wrote:
Kyleor wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Hey, can anyone tell me which finger nail products work for tightening joints? I used crazy glue once but it gave disastrous effects since it got stuck and the peice broke.


It looks like clear finger nail polish, any brand, is recommended, however that can flake/rub off over time.

Also I saw "Pledge with Future Shine" recommended a lot to tighten joints and to protect chromed parts, without the possible damage from using nail polish or glue.


Thanks!


Just picked up a bottle from K-Mart, this is what it looks like now.
Attachments
shrunk_floor_shine.JPG
Don't get butthurt when you get called out for expressing closed/small/narrow minded opinions. Educate yourself and form a better opinion.


Yyyeeeeeeeeep


.
User avatar
Kyleor
Minibot
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 pm
Location: USA (not 'Murica)
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 3
Rank: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 4

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby NuclearConvoy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Anyone have any idea what to do to tighten joints that use pins to hold them together?

I have just tried some clear nailpolish on my Crosscut because he had super loose arm and ankle ball joints, and it seems to be producing good effects. I anticipate that I will have to reapply it if I play heavily with it, but I can't see how it would damage it so, cool. I also mostly display things in one mode for a long time, maybe reorganize it once in a while.
ImageImageImageImage
NuclearConvoy
Gestalt
Posts: 2672
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:46 pm

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Kyleor » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Motto: "Awwww-Skeet-Skeet-Skeet!"
Weapon: Twin Automatic Machine Guns
NuclearConvoy wrote:Anyone have any idea what to do to tighten joints that use pins to hold them together?

I have just tried some clear nailpolish on my Crosscut because he had super loose arm and ankle ball joints, and it seems to be producing good effects. I anticipate that I will have to reapply it if I play heavily with it, but I can't see how it would damage it so, cool. I also mostly display things in one mode for a long time, maybe reorganize it once in a while.



Try the floor shine posted above. It seems to work on many joint types.
Don't get butthurt when you get called out for expressing closed/small/narrow minded opinions. Educate yourself and form a better opinion.


Yyyeeeeeeeeep


.
User avatar
Kyleor
Minibot
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 pm
Location: USA (not 'Murica)
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 3
Rank: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 4

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby jprime69 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:58 pm

To all experts in repairs, I had posted years ago seeking advice in regards to repairing a broken Fansproject Blesser I had received. The legs are separated from the crotch piece, with the breaks occurring at the pegs that contain the ball joints. Never got around to attempting to fix it other than trying unsuccessfully to glue it together.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Is there a way to repair this and be able to maintain the articulation from the ball joints on both legs? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
jprime69
Combiner
Posts: 453
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:23 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Kyleor » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:52 am

Motto: "Awwww-Skeet-Skeet-Skeet!"
Weapon: Twin Automatic Machine Guns
jprime69 wrote:To all experts in repairs, I had posted years ago seeking advice in regards to repairing a broken Fansproject Blesser I had received. The legs are separated from the crotch piece, with the breaks occurring at the pegs that contain the ball joints. Never got around to attempting to fix it other than trying unsuccessfully to glue it together.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Is there a way to repair this and be able to maintain the articulation from the ball joints on both legs? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.


Do you have/can you take better pictures? It's hard to see where/what the damaged areas are.
Don't get butthurt when you get called out for expressing closed/small/narrow minded opinions. Educate yourself and form a better opinion.


Yyyeeeeeeeeep


.
User avatar
Kyleor
Minibot
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 pm
Location: USA (not 'Murica)
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 3
Rank: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 4

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby jprime69 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:51 pm

Kyleor wrote:
jprime69 wrote:To all experts in repairs, I had posted years ago seeking advice in regards to repairing a broken Fansproject Blesser I had received. The legs are separated from the crotch piece, with the breaks occurring at the pegs that contain the ball joints. Never got around to attempting to fix it other than trying unsuccessfully to glue it together.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Is there a way to repair this and be able to maintain the articulation from the ball joints on both legs? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.


Do you have/can you take better pictures? It's hard to see where/what the damaged areas are.


My apologies. I'm using an iPhone camera and for whatever reason, clear pics can be hit or miss.

Below are some more pics

Image

Image

Image

Image

Tried to brighten up the pics, hope it helps. The breaks are at both ends of the center piece. They aren't completely clean breaks. The ball joints are still in each leg while the other end appears to cap off with a disc like peg.
jprime69
Combiner
Posts: 453
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:23 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Kyleor » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:36 am

Motto: "Awwww-Skeet-Skeet-Skeet!"
Weapon: Twin Automatic Machine Guns
You could do a pin repair. You cut a short piece of paper clip or thinner wire then drill a matching hole in both plastic pieces and glue them together with the pin inside. It's hard to drill a hole in the same spot for both sides but it makes a strong joint. You could use a different type of glue, a little bit of plastic compatable epoxy would be stronger than super glue. Or what used to be called 'airplane glue', glue meant for use on plastic models, not the 'non-toxic' stuff, the real kind that you need a window open to use so you don't get high while using it. The good stuff bonds/melts the plastic together so only use a little.
Don't get butthurt when you get called out for expressing closed/small/narrow minded opinions. Educate yourself and form a better opinion.


Yyyeeeeeeeeep


.
User avatar
Kyleor
Minibot
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 pm
Location: USA (not 'Murica)
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 3
Rank: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 4

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby jprime69 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:07 pm

Kyleor wrote:You could do a pin repair. You cut a short piece of paper clip or thinner wire then drill a matching hole in both plastic pieces and glue them together with the pin inside. It's hard to drill a hole in the same spot for both sides but it makes a strong joint. You could use a different type of glue, a little bit of plastic compatable epoxy would be stronger than super glue. Or what used to be called 'airplane glue', glue meant for use on plastic models, not the 'non-toxic' stuff, the real kind that you need a window open to use so you don't get high while using it. The good stuff bonds/melts the plastic together so only use a little.


Thanks for the advice. Sounds simple enough.

Hypothetically, will that allow for complete and independent movement of the legs?
jprime69
Combiner
Posts: 453
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:23 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Kyleor » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:54 am

Motto: "Awwww-Skeet-Skeet-Skeet!"
Weapon: Twin Automatic Machine Guns
jprime69 wrote:
Kyleor wrote:You could do a pin repair. You cut a short piece of paper clip or thinner wire then drill a matching hole in both plastic pieces and glue them together with the pin inside. It's hard to drill a hole in the same spot for both sides but it makes a strong joint. You could use a different type of glue, a little bit of plastic compatible epoxy would be stronger than super glue. Or what used to be called 'airplane glue', glue meant for use on plastic models, not the 'non-toxic' stuff, the real kind that you need a window open to use so you don't get high while using it. The good stuff bonds/melts the plastic together so only use a little.


Thanks for the advice. Sounds simple enough.

Hypothetically, will that allow for complete and independent movement of the legs?


I kept meaning to draw this (it's busy season at work). If I'm understanding the break correctly it's the blue area in the picture. If you can get the ball part out of the socket then the 'long pin fix' should give you better repair strength, just be sure to make the pins flush to the ball surface or inset a tiny bit and cover them with glue then sand flush & smooth.

repair.jpg
Don't get butthurt when you get called out for expressing closed/small/narrow minded opinions. Educate yourself and form a better opinion.


Yyyeeeeeeeeep


.
User avatar
Kyleor
Minibot
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 pm
Location: USA (not 'Murica)
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 3
Rank: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 4

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby jprime69 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:30 pm

Kyleor wrote:
jprime69 wrote:
Kyleor wrote:You could do a pin repair. You cut a short piece of paper clip or thinner wire then drill a matching hole in both plastic pieces and glue them together with the pin inside. It's hard to drill a hole in the same spot for both sides but it makes a strong joint. You could use a different type of glue, a little bit of plastic compatible epoxy would be stronger than super glue. Or what used to be called 'airplane glue', glue meant for use on plastic models, not the 'non-toxic' stuff, the real kind that you need a window open to use so you don't get high while using it. The good stuff bonds/melts the plastic together so only use a little.


Thanks for the advice. Sounds simple enough.

Hypothetically, will that allow for complete and independent movement of the legs?


I kept meaning to draw this (it's busy season at work). If I'm understanding the break correctly it's the blue area in the picture. If you can get the ball part out of the socket then the 'long pin fix' should give you better repair strength, just be sure to make the pins flush to the ball surface or inset a tiny bit and cover them with glue then sand flush & smooth.

repair.jpg


Thanks Kyleor, your detailed diagram makes me wish the breakage was the ball joint instead of what it really is.

In actuality, the damage looks like this.
Image

I have been doing research on two part epoxy and it would seem that I can just glue the disc at the end of the ball joint to the center crotch piece and pray that it bonds secure enough so that the ball joint itself will have full range of motion without dislodging the disc. Feel free to add your opinion. I'm hoping to have the materials soon so that I may attempt the fix this weekend.

Thanks again.
jprime69
Combiner
Posts: 453
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:23 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Kyleor » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:51 pm

Motto: "Awwww-Skeet-Skeet-Skeet!"
Weapon: Twin Automatic Machine Guns
jprime69 wrote:
Kyleor wrote:
jprime69 wrote:
Kyleor wrote:You could do a pin repair. You cut a short piece of paper clip or thinner wire then drill a matching hole in both plastic pieces and glue them together with the pin inside. It's hard to drill a hole in the same spot for both sides but it makes a strong joint. You could use a different type of glue, a little bit of plastic compatible epoxy would be stronger than super glue. Or what used to be called 'airplane glue', glue meant for use on plastic models, not the 'non-toxic' stuff, the real kind that you need a window open to use so you don't get high while using it. The good stuff bonds/melts the plastic together so only use a little.


Thanks for the advice. Sounds simple enough.

Hypothetically, will that allow for complete and independent movement of the legs?


I kept meaning to draw this (it's busy season at work). If I'm understanding the break correctly it's the blue area in the picture. If you can get the ball part out of the socket then the 'long pin fix' should give you better repair strength, just be sure to make the pins flush to the ball surface or inset a tiny bit and cover them with glue then sand flush & smooth.

repair.jpg


Thanks Kyleor, your detailed diagram makes me wish the breakage was the ball joint instead of what it really is.

In actuality, the damage looks like this.
Image

I have been doing research on two part epoxy and it would seem that I can just glue the disc at the end of the ball joint to the center crotch piece and pray that it bonds secure enough so that the ball joint itself will have full range of motion without dislodging the disc. Feel free to add your opinion. I'm hoping to have the materials soon so that I may attempt the fix this weekend.

Thanks again.


Maybe you should preemptively 'break' the other side, then through pin and glue the whole thing back together.
Don't get butthurt when you get called out for expressing closed/small/narrow minded opinions. Educate yourself and form a better opinion.


Yyyeeeeeeeeep


.
User avatar
Kyleor
Minibot
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 pm
Location: USA (not 'Murica)
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 3
Rank: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 4

Previous

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #114 - Brainmasters
Twincast / Podcast #114:
"Brainmasters"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Tuesday, April 7th, 2015