This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

BotCon 2009 date and location revealed!!!

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Re: BotCon 2009 date and location revealed!!!

Postby barricade2218 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:16 am

Motto: "To punish and enslave..."
My opinion is that this is a bad choice of locations. Flying out west is very expensive and on Memorial Day weekend? Centrally located would surely bring in more fans and make it more affordable for everyone.

How exactly is the loction determined anyhow?
barricade2218
Combiner
Buy from barricade2218 on eBay
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby Energon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:13 am

barricade2218 wrote:My opinion is that this is a bad choice of locations. Flying out west is very expensive and on Memorial Day weekend? Centrally located would surely bring in more fans and make it more affordable for everyone.

It is NOT Memorial Day weekend.

Funpublications need to just choose one city on a permanent basis and the same weekend in the summer when kids and college students are not in school. They could advertise the con a whole lot better and not have to re-invent the wheel each time. Only NEWB cons move around.
Energon
Targetmaster
News Credits: 23

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:50 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Energon wrote:
barricade2218 wrote:My opinion is that this is a bad choice of locations. Flying out west is very expensive and on Memorial Day weekend? Centrally located would surely bring in more fans and make it more affordable for everyone.

It is NOT Memorial Day weekend.

Funpublications need to just choose one city on a permanent basis and the same weekend in the summer when kids and college students are not in school. They could advertise the con a whole lot better and not have to re-invent the wheel each time. Only NEWB cons move around.

They move around so much to different fans in different locations the chances to go each year. If they stayed in the same place each year, they'd be getting the same people every year with little-to-no new faces. Course it doesn't help much if you live somewhere that BotCon never comes near to.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby harvester » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:54 am

Savage wrote:... The first one or two will likely sell out quickly, a month or two before the convention. If you're looking to stay at a nearby economy hotel, you shouldn't have any problem, aside from having to drive to the con and pay for parking every day. Plus hanging out with all the other con-goers afterhours, that makes it worth it to stay in one of the convention hotels.

So making botcon.com my homepage and checking every 6-12 hours is a little overboard? =P

I was going to try and make my reservation ASAP, like the first second I see where it's at. May can't come soon enough.

I emailed them a while ago and tried to suggest the SF bay area, I still think that'd be a decent spot to try out. There are TF fans/sellers everwhere. I thought I was for sure going to Florida for this one. Where did that rumor start? Im still hoping for a Vegas convention. Maybe one year they'll do a dual con with GI Joe and Botcon at the same time in Vegas =D
harvester
Fuzor

Postby ponycorn » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:23 am

I was totally preparing to fly across the country for Botcon this year. Seems like it is usually in the mid-east to east side of the US and very rarely EVER on the west coast at all. Yeah, there are a suprisingly high amount of people whining this year. Sure I'm happy it's just 6 hours away from where I live in the CA Bay Area, but next year and the years after that and most of the years before that it wasn't. Also, looks like there are some people on the west side here who haven't gone before that are going for the first time this year. I was going to go for my first time this year when we had that Indianapolis rumor, and I didn't whine about it at all.
In a place such as this, you are the perfect prey for a brest animal!
ponycorn
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby DevastaTTor » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:46 pm

Booooooo! What happened to the south???

Great news for west coast folks, sucks for us in the South. And I had hoped it would be within a day from the house in not a few hours. Oh well, no Botcon for me.
Check out my BST Sales Thread HERE!

Equal Opportunity Transforming Robot Collector
DevastaTTor
Gestalt
News Credits: 198

Postby TheMuffin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:13 pm

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
I doubt it will ever be in the South for one reason alone. The heat. Having a convention that caters to an abundant amount of..... Jolly people in a place where it'll likely be in the mid to high 90's is not a solid game plan. The midwest/east is normally a more moderate area with temps in the 70's and low 80's.
TheMuffin
Faction Commander
News Credits: 38
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Courage: 5
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Savage » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:17 pm

Weapon: Diffraction Sword
The heat?! Really?
What about us poor Southerners who froze our butts off in Rhode Island in 07? Sure, the evening temp was mid 60s, but that's jacket weather for me, or at least long sleeves!

In all seriousness, I doubt that temperature is relevant to location choice in either direction. I did truly want a jacket in Providence though! Geez, it was late June, you'd think it'd be warm outside!
WANTED: Botcon 2007 Dreadwind | BotCon 2014 Scorponok & Devcon
Savage
Godmaster
News Credits: 97
Intelligence: 8
Firepower: 6

Postby NuclearConvoy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:31 pm

Savage wrote:The heat?! Really?
What about us poor Southerners who froze our butts off in Rhode Island in 07? Sure, the evening temp was mid 60s, but that's jacket weather for me, or at least long sleeves!

In all seriousness, I doubt that temperature is relevant to location choice in either direction. I did truly want a jacket in Providence though! Geez, it was late June, you'd think it'd be warm outside!

Right next to the Ocean in a more northern climate you get a lot of cold breezes.
You'd probably DIE where I live.
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster
News Credits: 8

Postby Energon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:53 pm

Ok, some of you have twisted my arm, off line of this forum. There are a lot of you folks that I would love to see again. Problem is that I used to live in California (Sunnyvale) and my brother just moved from San Fran (used to drive across that bridge every day that collapsed), I swore I would never go back to the brown hills. But if I get enough arm twisting, I might just go to see friends.
Last edited by Energon on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Energon
Targetmaster

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:17 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
TheMuffin wrote:I doubt it will ever be in the South for one reason alone. The heat. Having a convention that caters to an abundant amount of..... Jolly people in a place where it'll likely be in the mid to high 90's is not a solid game plan. The midwest/east is normally a more moderate area with temps in the 70's and low 80's.

Are you kidding? It's cold enough done here. Heat is what we need here! Summer is the only season that stays warm, and that weather doesn't start until mid-June. The rest of the year the weather is practically fighting a temperature war just to stay warm. The mornings are very brisk even without a cold front. It's rare for me in the spring and fall to step outside in the morning to find it warm. Sure it warms up by the afternoon, but just once I'd like to have warm spring/fall mornings for more than two or three days. And don't get me started on winter. Not to mention that rain only makes it worse. When it rains, it cools.

And don't think that I don't know what "cold" is. I've been to Tahoe in California and the Sierra Mountains in Nevada. That's not "cold", that's "unbearably freezing".

Besides, if it was held here, the convention center downtown get pretty good air conditioning flowing in every room. So, no worries about burning up indoors.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Firepower: 7

Postby Energon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:12 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Are you kidding? It's cold enough done here. Heat is what we need here! Summer is the only season that stays warm, and that weather doesn't start until mid-June. The rest of the year the weather is practically fighting a temperature war just to stay warm. The mornings are very brisk even without a cold front. It's rare for me in the spring and fall to step outside in the morning to find it warm. Sure it warms up by the afternoon, but just once I'd like to have warm spring/fall mornings for more than two or three days. And don't get me started on winter. Not to mention that rain only makes it worse. When it rains, it cools.

I don't know where you are from, but in the summer it is 90 plus where I live in Florida for 9 months out of the year, today it was 81. FX International is the con to go to in Orlando (may this year), Megacon is similar but not as nice. Go there if you want to have fun.
Energon
Targetmaster

Postby captain craig » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:34 pm

Weapon: Twin Independent Mounted Disruptor Rays
Bad economy.
Non Central location.
Memorial Day weekend.

Attendance is going to be severly down.
A more central location would allow a larger percentage of people to still consider the 'con even in our economic state. More people live between the Mississippi River and Atlantic Ocean than from the Pacific Ocean to the Mississippi River. By picking an Atlanta, Richmond, Charlotte or Orlando it would have been more accessible to drivers and flyers. Now yes those determined West Coast fans would have more airfare however if you want the most amount of people given the economic climate you go central/east coast this year and when the economy is better in 2010 you go West Coast.

I'm out. I'm not getting my quarterly bonuses the company has already told us. I used those to justify my pricy Botcon's. Higher gas prices for most of 2008 has meant money into those areas and saving has been nearly nonexisistent. Ebay has been slow.

It will be the first Botcon I've missed since 1999. A 10 year streak broken. :-(

Attendance will be down at least 20% I predict...minimum.
Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
captain craig
Fuzor
Buy from captain craig on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Firepower: 9

Postby TheMuffin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:44 pm

THIS IS NOT ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!
TheMuffin
Faction Commander

Postby captain craig » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:07 pm

Sorry. Looks Memorial Day-esque.

I still say attendance down minimum 20%.

captain craig
Fuzor

Postby ponycorn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:14 pm

captain craig wrote:Sorry. Looks Memorial Day-esque.

Being on a weekend near Memorial Day but not exactly on Memorial weekend may help some people get the time off. Know a co-worker that wants Memorial Day weekend off and needs someone to trade shifts with? This could be a good thing for some people not regularily off on weekends and holidays.
In a place such as this, you are the perfect prey for a brest animal!
ponycorn
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby Delicon » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:36 pm

Motto: "Seibertron.com: Other sites lack the meat!"
Weapon: Battle Blades

Every year people find a reason to say attendance will be down (location, timing, quality of special guests, con set, etc.) and every year attendance increases.

I remember this one guy last year who lashed out constantly on these forums about how Fun Pub really screwed everyone over by not making enough con sets. He said they had no idea what they were doing and how people weren't going to want to come for 2005 sets.

He also said how he'd gone for years but he was fed up and this was his last con.

Then, right after Botcon he posted about what a great time he had.

Now he's talking about going this year.

As with every year, people will complain, but ultimately I think attendance will be just fine.
Proud Seibertronian since 2008
Delicon
Gestalt
News Credits: 273
Buy from Delicon on eBay
Strength: 5
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 2

Postby TheMuffin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:16 pm

Well to be honest, I didn't get a 2005 set. Saved me some money that way.
TheMuffin
Faction Commander

Postby captain craig » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:03 am

Delicon wrote:

Every year people find a reason to say attendance will be down (location, timing, quality of special guests, con set, etc.) and every year attendance increases.

True and frankly I didn't buy that attendance would be down when I heard those claims. I just took them as sour puss' whining. Cause no matter where it was I was going because I saved and planned for it like clockwork the last 10 years.

However, despite my usual attempts to save and plan the economy has taken a hit on me and I suspect others like me. I'm not going this year because I'm being responsible. I don't have the money through no fault of my own. The extra funds simply aren't there.

Sure I could be irresponsible and charge it all at 22% interest. Then my Botcon would cost just that much more in the longrun.

This is the year when attendance will drop due to the economy and how it impacts the accessibility of the con by those on tighter budgets.

captain craig
Fuzor

Postby Delicon » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:45 pm

Just for fun, let's see what people were saying about last year's Con, much more centrally located for most....

And please remember, even though it was not as bad, we were in a recession then, also.

http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24368&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Delicon
Gestalt
Buy from Delicon on eBay

Postby captain craig » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:16 pm

^^^
I recall the comments but WE WERE NOT IN A RECESSION in April 2008.
We haven't in the most technical of terms achieved it yet. A recession is 2, count them TWO, consecutive quarters(thats 6 straight months) of negative growth.

The last quarter of this year has seen a solid down turn. People are now really feeling the effects of what will for sure be a recession.

However, in April 2008 and the months leading up to it, the biggest issue was rising gas prices. In April gas had still yet to top $3 in most parts of the country.

Come May 2009 we will be in full blown recession and that is the big difference vs April 2008.

Real economic hardship(May 09) vs perceived economic hardship(April 08).

captain craig
Fuzor

Postby Delicon » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:19 pm

The recession was recently announced as having started in December of 2007. That's not me talking, look it up. Strangely enough, I remember what gas cost when we were in Cincy. It was around $3.50 a gallon.

Regardless, if you don't feel you can go, don't. It would be unfortunate for you to miss out on the fun but everyone has their own choices to make and money obviously doesn't appear out of thin air.
Delicon
Gestalt
Buy from Delicon on eBay

Postby Friend of Da Panda Symbol » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:54 pm

My coming's based solely on what v/as are scheduled to appear. Will be checking the Botcom regularly to find out.
Friend of Da Panda Symbol
Minibot
Watch Friend of Da Panda Symbol on YouTube

Postby nemesis-prime » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:16 am

Pyrostrata wrote:Once again, the BotCon gods are plotting against me! I could have dealt with many places....and California is NOT one of them!!! Just too expensive, coming from Missouri...driving is too long and flying is too expensive. *unleashes a colorful array of vulgarities*

I'm out. :cry:

The closest we got is columbus OH last year but somehow the MOFOs had all the hotels booked up a day after they announced it. Why was i gonna go and have no place to stay? Dont think ill ever be able to go. :sad:
nemesis-prime
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 12

Postby Pyrostrata » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Motto: "Autobots just BORE me!"
Weapon: Flamethrower Cannons
nemesis-prime wrote:
Pyrostrata wrote:Once again, the BotCon gods are plotting against me! I could have dealt with many places....and California is NOT one of them!!! Just too expensive, coming from Missouri...driving is too long and flying is too expensive. *unleashes a colorful array of vulgarities*

I'm out. :cry:

The closest we got is columbus OH last year but somehow the MOFOs had all the hotels booked up a day after they announced it. Why was i gonna go and have no place to stay? Dont think ill ever be able to go. :sad:

I feel ya, man...I feel ya! Hopefully we'll get a better, more centralized and less obscenely expensive, location next year.
Cannabis Prime wrote:I didn't know a super-sonic jet could park on the grass like that!

Caboose wrote:Time is not made out of lines! Time is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!

The First Lady of Rage on the Twincast Podcast! http://www.seibertron.com/podcast/

Desperately seeking: Individual weapons (flash included) and missiles for G1 Reflector! PM me if ya got em!
Pyrostrata
Podcast Staff
Speed: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 2nd ptg Cvr B Image Comics 2023 APR239178 (CA) Marz (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #1 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE YEARBOOK #4 Marvel Comics 1988 (CA) Trimpe (W) Hama 220721B"
GI JOE YEARBOOK #4 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 2nd ptg Cvr C Image Comics 2024 GI JOE 1123IM898 (CA) Reilly"
DUKE #1 2nd ptg Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 MAR238214 1B (CA) Young (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #300 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 SEP221680 300B (CA) Gallant"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 0224IM323 8D (CA) Khalidah"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #303 2nd ptg Image Comics 2024 0124IM859 (CA) Edgar"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 0923IM467 6D (CA) Darboe (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 0124IM327 7B (CA) Bellegarde (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2024 0224IM324 8E (CA) Reis (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 0923IM468 6E (CA) Infante (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #2 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 2B 1223IM260 (CA) Ortiz"
COBRA COMMANDER #2 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #3 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2023 JUN230379 3E (CA) Clarke (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #286 Cvr B IDW Comics JUL210466 286B Sanchez 220920"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Menasor, 8.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Titans Return Soundwave and Soundblaster" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Decepticon Rumble(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Galvatronus" on AMAZON