Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby El Duque » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:27 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
To pave the way for Seibertron.com's upcoming galleries of Encore Twincast and Soundblaster here are the original G1 versions of Enemy. A take on the G1 Frenzy/Rumble mold, Enemy made his first appearance in 1984 as a permanently attached piece of Nasta's officially licensed Transformers AM Radio. Even though he could not be removed from the radio he still retained his ability to transform in a cassette. His second appearance came when Nasta released an electronic voice changer in the shape of a large red Frenzy/Rumble style head. Enemy has finally received his first proper figure in Takara's Encore Soundblaster set, which also includes a Wing Thing repaint of G1 Ratbat.

Enemy (AM Radio) (Merchandise)
G1 1984

Image

Image

Image


Enemy (Voice Changer) (Merchandise)
G1 1985

Image

Image
User avatar
El Duque
News Admin
Posts: 9915
News Credits: 89
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:57 pm
Location: tornado alley

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby G1 Legacy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:42 am

Motto: "Aw c'mon Hasbro! What can I say...I've been spoiled by 3rd party."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
:)) God, I remember seeing this thing in K-mart as a child. I remember even way back then that I thought that the Frenzy (or Rumble) face was too distorted. His little compressed facial features seemed like something from the mind of Terry Gilliam of Monty Python cartoon lore. Weird...

Good memories, thanks!
G1 Legacy
User avatar
G1 Legacy
Minibot
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Iacon, Florida
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Rank: ???
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby Flux Convoy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:36 am

Motto: "Chaos... is coming!..."
Man, I want the Encore Enemy so bad! Wing Thing too. I can't believe I'll probably be buying another Soundblaster just for those. Twincast too since I don't have him yet. Gotta get one to show my love for the podcast too!
:BOT:
Image
User avatar
Flux Convoy
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6530
News Credits: 23
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:59 am
Location: Spinning my wheels into the void.
Buy from Flux Convoy on eBay

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby triKlops » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:08 am

Motto: "I’m the rising sun, I’m the new tomorrow, I’m the skull on the gun, I’m the song of sorrow; I’m the thirteenth arrow, I’m the wisest owl, I’m a soul-eating predator, I’m on the prowl"
Weapon: Energo-Sword
great shots
can't wait for my SBlaster now!
Image
User avatar
triKlops
Headmaster
Posts: 1010
News Credits: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:35 am
Location: Rhode Eye Land

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby kirbenvost » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Motto: "Deal with it."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Wow, pretty obscure pieces of TF history! Cool! I've been wondering who Enemy is. :lol:
User avatar
kirbenvost
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8719
News Credits: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:57 am
Location: Vancouver BC
Buy from kirbenvost on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby Stormrider » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
Cool history.
Image
Stormrider
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8591
News Credits: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:24 am
Location: USA

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby Rated X » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Were either of these toys officially named "Enemy" when they were sold in retail ??? Or was "Enemy" inspired by a comic book artist who saw these and decided to create an identity for a generic character ??? Kind of like Sunstorm...

Edit: I saw the original package of the voice changer and it does indeed refer to him as "Decepticon Enemy" in G1 box graphics. However in my opinion, I think they chose "Enemy" more because the head mold was of a bad guy. I dont think they were thinking along the lines of it being an actual character. If they had done an autobot version of the voice changer, it too would probally be in generic colors and the package would ave read "Autobot Hero". Just my take on it from an 80's perspective...
Image

Check out my Customs:

Classics Pounce and Wingspan
classics-pounce-and-wingspan-t95811.php

Generations Twincast
generations-twincast-t94088.php

Collection photos will be updated soon at this link :
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/rated-x-s-collection-t55699.php
User avatar
Rated X
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5736
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby cylor » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:16 am

I think Takara released a black colored voice changer F/R head in the Microchange line. Can anyone actually confirm this? I remember seeing one as a kid in 1980s Italy, but maybe I'm wrong...
cylor
Minibot
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby Cobalt Prime » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:05 am

Motto: ""Excessive force is not necessary.""
Wow! I still have one of those voice changers. I remember that it always made a better Dalek voice than a Transformery sounding one.

EXTERMINATE!!!
User avatar
Cobalt Prime
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:30 pm

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby Seibertron » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:20 am

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Rated X wrote:Were either of these toys officially named "Enemy" when they were sold in retail ??? Or was "Enemy" inspired by a comic book artist who saw these and decided to create an identity for a generic character ??? Kind of like Sunstorm...

Edit: I saw the original package of the voice changer and it does indeed refer to him as "Decepticon Enemy" in G1 box graphics. However in my opinion, I think they chose "Enemy" more because the head mold was of a bad guy. I dont think they were thinking along the lines of it being an actual character. If they had done an autobot version of the voice changer, it too would probally be in generic colors and the package would ave read "Autobot Hero". Just my take on it from an 80's perspective...


You are 100% correct. However, amongst the fandom, in a humorous twist the red/blue version of the black/red Rumble and blue/dark blue Frenzy mold (which has popped up in comics and other places) has affectionately become known as "Enemy" because it lacked an official name. In a nice nod to the fans, Takara came out with the Microchange version of the toy in the latest Soundblaster reissue set and officially called it "Enemy". Kudos to Takara and their crazy obscurity with the Soundblaster and Twincast reissue sets.
Image

Current Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, and more!
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23281
News Credits: 745
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby Rated X » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:42 am

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Seibertron wrote:
Rated X wrote:Were either of these toys officially named "Enemy" when they were sold in retail ??? Or was "Enemy" inspired by a comic book artist who saw these and decided to create an identity for a generic character ??? Kind of like Sunstorm...

Edit: I saw the original package of the voice changer and it does indeed refer to him as "Decepticon Enemy" in G1 box graphics. However in my opinion, I think they chose "Enemy" more because the head mold was of a bad guy. I dont think they were thinking along the lines of it being an actual character. If they had done an autobot version of the voice changer, it too would probally be in generic colors and the package would ave read "Autobot Hero". Just my take on it from an 80's perspective...


You are 100% correct. However, amongst the fandom, in a humorous twist the red/blue version of the black/red Rumble and blue/dark blue Frenzy mold (which has popped up in comics and other places) has affectionately become known as "Enemy" because it lacked an official name. In a nice nod to the fans, Takara came out with the Microchange version of the toy in the latest Soundblaster reissue set and officially called it "Enemy". Kudos to Takara and their crazy obscurity with the Soundblaster and Twincast reissue sets.



Agreed. It was the cassettes which made me pre-order both figures. I know Wing Thing had a accessory/figure with a later version of Soundwave, but what about Stripes and the black Steeljaw ??? Is there any documented history on them ??? Even if it was just 1 second color error in the G1 cartoon ???
Image

Check out my Customs:

Classics Pounce and Wingspan
classics-pounce-and-wingspan-t95811.php

Generations Twincast
generations-twincast-t94088.php

Collection photos will be updated soon at this link :
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/rated-x-s-collection-t55699.php
User avatar
Rated X
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5736
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby Seibertron » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:58 am

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Rated X wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
Rated X wrote:Were either of these toys officially named "Enemy" when they were sold in retail ??? Or was "Enemy" inspired by a comic book artist who saw these and decided to create an identity for a generic character ??? Kind of like Sunstorm...

Edit: I saw the original package of the voice changer and it does indeed refer to him as "Decepticon Enemy" in G1 box graphics. However in my opinion, I think they chose "Enemy" more because the head mold was of a bad guy. I dont think they were thinking along the lines of it being an actual character. If they had done an autobot version of the voice changer, it too would probally be in generic colors and the package would ave read "Autobot Hero". Just my take on it from an 80's perspective...


You are 100% correct. However, amongst the fandom, in a humorous twist the red/blue version of the black/red Rumble and blue/dark blue Frenzy mold (which has popped up in comics and other places) has affectionately become known as "Enemy" because it lacked an official name. In a nice nod to the fans, Takara came out with the Microchange version of the toy in the latest Soundblaster reissue set and officially called it "Enemy". Kudos to Takara and their crazy obscurity with the Soundblaster and Twincast reissue sets.



Agreed. It was the cassettes which made me pre-order both figures. I know Wing Thing had a accessory/figure with a later version of Soundwave, but what about Stripes and the black Steeljaw ??? Is there any documented history on them ??? Even if it was just 1 second color error in the G1 cartoon ???


TFWiki.net did a pretty bang up job of explaining the obscure references from where those two characters originated.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Stripes

Stripes originated in an early draft for The Transformers: The Movie, where he was released out of Blaster's chest to combat the Decepticon Mini-Cassettes during the Battle of Autobot City. Stripes would have snapped at Ratbat, scaring him. In the finished movie, Ramhorn replaced Stripes in battling Ratbat. Since he was written out of his only intended appearance before publication, we're pretty sure that makes him the single most obscure established character to ever be given a toy—and that's saying something when he's coming out alongside a one-shot prose-only UK character and a decapitated radio.


http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Nightstalker

Nightstalker may have been loosely based on a similarly-named fan character that was entered into (and won) one of Marvel UK's character creation contests. This character, named "Night Stalker" (with a space), was less of a Ravage clone in design, with a canine robot mode (though with a similar color scheme to that of the Decepticon feline).


http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Wingthing

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Enemy
Image

Current Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, and more!
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23281
News Credits: 745
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby Rated X » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Seibertron wrote:
Rated X wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
Rated X wrote:Were either of these toys officially named "Enemy" when they were sold in retail ??? Or was "Enemy" inspired by a comic book artist who saw these and decided to create an identity for a generic character ??? Kind of like Sunstorm...

Edit: I saw the original package of the voice changer and it does indeed refer to him as "Decepticon Enemy" in G1 box graphics. However in my opinion, I think they chose "Enemy" more because the head mold was of a bad guy. I dont think they were thinking along the lines of it being an actual character. If they had done an autobot version of the voice changer, it too would probally be in generic colors and the package would ave read "Autobot Hero". Just my take on it from an 80's perspective...


You are 100% correct. However, amongst the fandom, in a humorous twist the red/blue version of the black/red Rumble and blue/dark blue Frenzy mold (which has popped up in comics and other places) has affectionately become known as "Enemy" because it lacked an official name. In a nice nod to the fans, Takara came out with the Microchange version of the toy in the latest Soundblaster reissue set and officially called it "Enemy". Kudos to Takara and their crazy obscurity with the Soundblaster and Twincast reissue sets.



Agreed. It was the cassettes which made me pre-order both figures. I know Wing Thing had a accessory/figure with a later version of Soundwave, but what about Stripes and the black Steeljaw ??? Is there any documented history on them ??? Even if it was just 1 second color error in the G1 cartoon ???


TFWiki.net did a pretty bang up job of explaining the obscure references from where those two characters originated.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Stripes

Stripes originated in an early draft for The Transformers: The Movie, where he was released out of Blaster's chest to combat the Decepticon Mini-Cassettes during the Battle of Autobot City. Stripes would have snapped at Ratbat, scaring him. In the finished movie, Ramhorn replaced Stripes in battling Ratbat. Since he was written out of his only intended appearance before publication, we're pretty sure that makes him the single most obscure established character to ever be given a toy—and that's saying something when he's coming out alongside a one-shot prose-only UK character and a decapitated radio.


http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Nightstalker

Nightstalker may have been loosely based on a similarly-named fan character that was entered into (and won) one of Marvel UK's character creation contests. This character, named "Night Stalker" (with a space), was less of a Ravage clone in design, with a canine robot mode (though with a similar color scheme to that of the Decepticon feline).


http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Wingthing

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Enemy



Interesting. I am shocked that they actually used an old script to do their research to create new cassettes. I wonder why the original idea was scrapped ? i always noticed that the original G1 cassettes were never given any repaints including onesin which the mold swapped factions. I suppose KISS started that idea.
Image

Check out my Customs:

Classics Pounce and Wingspan
classics-pounce-and-wingspan-t95811.php

Generations Twincast
generations-twincast-t94088.php

Collection photos will be updated soon at this link :
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/rated-x-s-collection-t55699.php
User avatar
Rated X
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5736
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby zodconvoy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right to KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!"
Rated X wrote:Interesting. I am shocked that they actually used an old script to do their research to create new cassettes. I wonder why the original idea was scrapped ? i always noticed that the original G1 cassettes were never given any repaints including onesin which the mold swapped factions. I suppose KISS started that idea.


Rumble & Frenzy (& Enemy), Laserbeak & Buzzsaw, and Eject & Rewind were all repaints. They just came out at the same time.
Now for Sale!

HUGE MASTERPIECE CLEARANCE SALE!
NOW ON eBAY:

MP-10B BLACK CONVOY W/COIN!
TRU SOUNDWAVE LOOSE BUT COMPLETE!
FANS TOYS QUAKE WAVE!
PROWL & STREAK!
KO MP-10 CONVOY!
In the US and the cheapest on eBay!

Also:
Fansproject City Commander w/ Magnus & Reprolabels!
TFCC Dion w/ Coptor
Diablock Convoy

Visit My Store!
Image
User avatar
zodconvoy
City Commander
Posts: 3025
News Credits: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:47 am
Location: the Nemesis, PA
Buy from zodconvoy on eBay

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Motto: ""I am a warrior. Let the battle be joined.""
Weapon: Electron Gun
Ah, this is a blast from the past! I remember seeing these guys in stores. Ah, memories. :D
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.

My reviews of Transformers G1, one episode at a time. Stop by for a spell!
RK_Striker_JK_5
City Commander
Posts: 3283
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: New Hampshire
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Rank: 2
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby Rated X » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
zodconvoy wrote:
Rated X wrote:Interesting. I am shocked that they actually used an old script to do their research to create new cassettes. I wonder why the original idea was scrapped ? i always noticed that the original G1 cassettes were never given any repaints including onesin which the mold swapped factions. I suppose KISS started that idea.


Rumble & Frenzy (& Enemy), Laserbeak & Buzzsaw, and Eject & Rewind were all repaints. They just came out at the same time.



I dont consider them repaints for exactly that reason. In my opinion, a re-color of a mold must be released in a different wave at a later date to be considered a "repaint".

Examples:

Hoist, Red Alert, the Coneheads, outback, Pipes


If they are released at the same time in the same wave, then they would be considered brothers,twins, clones or comrades.


Examples:

Grapple and Inferno, The original 3 seekers, Rewind and Eject.


Seems like after 1985 Hasbro didnt churn out too many versions of the same mold in a single wave.
Image

Check out my Customs:

Classics Pounce and Wingspan
classics-pounce-and-wingspan-t95811.php

Generations Twincast
generations-twincast-t94088.php

Collection photos will be updated soon at this link :
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/rated-x-s-collection-t55699.php
User avatar
Rated X
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5736
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: New Toy Galleries: Enemy AM Radio and Voice Changer

Postby Stormrider » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
Rated X wrote:
zodconvoy wrote:
Rated X wrote:Interesting. I am shocked that they actually used an old script to do their research to create new cassettes. I wonder why the original idea was scrapped ? i always noticed that the original G1 cassettes were never given any repaints including onesin which the mold swapped factions. I suppose KISS started that idea.


Rumble & Frenzy (& Enemy), Laserbeak & Buzzsaw, and Eject & Rewind were all repaints. They just came out at the same time.



I dont consider them repaints for exactly that reason. In my opinion, a re-color of a mold must be released in a different wave at a later date to be considered a "repaint".

Examples:

Hoist, Red Alert, the Coneheads, outback, Pipes


If they are released at the same time in the same wave, then they would be considered brothers,twins, clones or comrades.


Examples:

Grapple and Inferno, The original 3 seekers, Rewind and Eject.


Seems like after 1985 Hasbro didnt churn out too many versions of the same mold in a single wave.



Doesn't matter when the figure comes out. If the color has changed - it's a repaint. Technically, Grapple, Hoist, Red Alert, and the 3 coneheads are all remolds not repaints (unless you are comparing them to their pre-Transformers figures).
Image
Stormrider
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8591
News Credits: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:24 am
Location: USA


Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #98 - Combiner Wars
Twincast / Podcast #98:
"Combiner Wars"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, August 14th, 2014