This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok Being Released This Summer.

Do you love your new Hercules set? Can't get enough of FansProject's items? Upset that you bought a knock off when you thought you were getting an original? Use this forum to tell everyone your thoughts about unlicensed and knock off TF products.

Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok Being Released This Summer.

Postby Mkall » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
It's not unreasonable to hold hope that with the recent release of Encore Fortress Maximus, that his rival Scorponok will also see a release.

However it seems that other, less scrupulous parties seem to be getting one to market sooner if Toymoda is to be believed. In addition to a healthy stock of Transformers-related items, Toymoda also has several knockoff replications of other G1 figures, such as Cyclonus, Shockwave and a Computron giftset. Scorponok has recently been added to its system with a release date of July.

Seibertron.com will pass on more information as more information becomes available.

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Re: Buyer Beware: Knock Off G1 Scorponok Being Released This Summer.

Postby craggy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:58 pm

thanks for keeping us informed. I'm sure there's a few people who want to know which exact websites to avoid buying these from.
assembling a Neo-G1/TF:TM cast. Please PM if you have (or know of) the following at a reasonable price: Classics or Henkei Astrotrain, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, or 3rd Party iGear Ratchet and Ironhide.
Also looking for Universe Repugnus and Overbite, Frostbite and Longhorn and any Webdiver toys.
craggy
Faction Commander
News Credits: 4

Postby Bumblevivisector » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:08 pm

And if they take the next logical step of KOing Black Zarak, but with the insidious, unscrupulous difference of switching to gold plastic that actually stays solid instead of crumbling to dust like good, honest, legit, GPS-prone Takara Black Zarak should, why then we'll REALLY stay the hell away from any vendors that would dare preserve representations of toys whose legitimate companies either can't find their molds or just don't care enough to reverse mold so future generations can know them from more than just rumors and photos *COUGH* steal HasTak's I.P.

There always ends up being a slight difference in the package no matter how close they copy the original. Someone will get a guide up soon enough so they won't fool anyone who does a little homework. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go help Boris and Natasha destroy the U.S. economy with counterfeit cereal box tops so Kim Jong-Un can have a monopoly on atomic-powered roller skates, distracting him from his ICBMs. To Carob Island!
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby thunderjacker » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:50 pm

yes!...these people must be stopped if the sanctity and purity of our beloved hobby is to be preserved!....wait, did you say computron?....and its spelled T-O-Y-M-O-D-A?....i'm just going to check these guys out to make sure i know not to buy from them and stuff....computron:)
thunderjacker
Micromaster

Postby Megatron Wolf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
how much you want to bet this guy will be better quality than anything hasbro has put out in the past year. Also i thought KOs were suppose to be cheap, that is far from cheap.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7

Postby LordTwann » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:51 pm

That's a pretty pricey knock off... wow. Unless they plan to actually use good plastic, wouldn't that be something.
LordTwann
Mini-Con

Postby LordTwann » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:52 pm

That's a pretty pricey knock off... wow. Unless they plan to actually use good plastic, wouldn't that be something.
LordTwann
Mini-Con

Postby Megazarak » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Motto: "Your Spark will extinguish between my claws!"
Weapon: Cyber Tail Claw
I only want a real Scorponok, and with him seemingly on the way, why would anyone have any need for a KO one?
Megazarak
Vehicon
Strength: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Postby Fanboy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:01 pm

good good also all you guys are hypocrites All 3rd parties are actually KO
Fanboy

Postby Rated X » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
I kind of lost interest in buying G1 molds with all the cool 3rd party stuff on the market. But this KO is actually a good thing. It will help drive down the crazy e-bay prices of G1 Scorponok. So any of you who are looking to buy the original, will pay alot less for it in the future. Of course there will always be those few who are offended that their precious figures are losing value. I think you should buy toys if you love them no matter what theyre worth. If youre looking for an investment, buy stocks or bonds instead of toys. And a KO Black Zarak with gold plastic that doesnt crumble is a great idea. I bet all those anti-KO people who bought the dino cassettes will buy it too.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Ultra Markus » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Motto: "“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” - Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight"
Weapon: 16 Cannons
Rated X wrote:I kind of lost interest in buying G1 molds with all the cool 3rd party stuff on the market. But this KO is actually a good thing. It will help drive down the crazy e-bay prices of G1 Scorponok. So any of you who are looking to buy the original, will pay alot less for it in the future. Of course there will always be those few who are offended that their precious figures are losing value. I think you should buy toys if you love them no matter what theyre worth. If youre looking for an investment, buy stocks or bonds instead of toys. And a KO Black Zarak with gold plastic that doesnt crumble is a great idea. I bet all those anti-KO people who bought the dino cassettes will buy it too.

i agree, these prices on G1 stuff is crazy hopefully we will see an encore release of scorponok because of this so i can have him next to fort max but i say screw those who want to screw us who collect to enjoy not to invest because it drives those away who loved them as a kid but can't afford them now but like with anything vintage there will always be those who see just $$$$$ and those who just appreciate it
Ultra Markus
Gestalt
Alt Mode: the biggest baddest thing ever
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 10

Postby craggy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Fanboy wrote:good good also all you guys are hypocrites All 3rd parties are actually KO

either that or you didn't get the subtext of some of our posts :-$
assembling a Neo-G1/TF:TM cast. Please PM if you have (or know of) the following at a reasonable price: Classics or Henkei Astrotrain, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, or 3rd Party iGear Ratchet and Ironhide.
Also looking for Universe Repugnus and Overbite, Frostbite and Longhorn and any Webdiver toys.
craggy
Faction Commander

Postby fenrir72 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
Remember what happened to KO Metroflex? Tomy sucker punched the KO makers by suddenly releasing the real thing. :lol:
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Strength: 9
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Seibertron » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Ultra Markus wrote:
Rated X wrote:I kind of lost interest in buying G1 molds with all the cool 3rd party stuff on the market. But this KO is actually a good thing. It will help drive down the crazy e-bay prices of G1 Scorponok. So any of you who are looking to buy the original, will pay alot less for it in the future. Of course there will always be those few who are offended that their precious figures are losing value. I think you should buy toys if you love them no matter what theyre worth. If youre looking for an investment, buy stocks or bonds instead of toys. And a KO Black Zarak with gold plastic that doesnt crumble is a great idea. I bet all those anti-KO people who bought the dino cassettes will buy it too.

i agree, these prices on G1 stuff is crazy hopefully we will see an encore release of scorponok because of this so i can have him next to fort max but i say screw those who want to screw us who collect to enjoy not to invest because it drives those away who loved them as a kid but can't afford them now but like with anything vintage there will always be those who see just $$$$$ and those who just appreciate it

KOs of any kind are very bad for the long run of this brand. What you guys have failed to mention is what happens when the KOs are passed off as originals, intentionally or mistakenly. That is unfair to unsuspecting collectors who are looking to obtain one of these figures.

I've owned every Hasbro G1 Transformers figure since 2007 before the KOs confused the market. I'm very lucky that I know for certainty that everything I own is original because the KOs weren't hitting the market yet. I think it is extremely unfortunate that collectors have to deal with this crap and aren't able to enjoy collecting unadulterated the way that I was able to.

It's one thing when you knowingly buy a KO, but when someone sells their collection later down the road and fails to mention that the item was a KO, or when their storage unit goes up for auction because they forgot to make a few payments or, god forbid, they pass away and their loved ones sell their collection, these KOs will inevitably end up being passed off as originals sooner or later.

Rationalizing that KOs are a good thing in any manner is a selfish view and a view that fails to see the big problem in the long run. It could also be argued the same about official reissues, but they're quality items and in many cases the reissues retain the value of the originals or even surpass their value in some cases. There is a big difference between a quality official reissue and an unofficial unlicensed counterfeit product that doesn't have to meet certain quality standards.

We collectors have a huge responsibility to make sure that future generations of Transformers fans get to enjoy quality Transformers products without having every item run the risk of being a faulty or flawed or counterfeit product. Maybe some of you don't care about this and only care about what you can afford or get your hands on. There is a much bigger picture regarding all of this. I hope that those of you who think that counterfeit products belong in this market will take some time to ponder what items like that do to water down this brand and the enjoyment of collectors in the long run.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3552
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Trikeboy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Seibertron wrote:
Ultra Markus wrote:

KOs of any kind are very bad for the long run of this brand. What you guys have failed to mention is what happens when the KOs are passed off as originals, intentionally or mistakenly. That is unfair to unsuspecting collectors who are looking to obtain one of these figures.

I've owned every Hasbro G1 Transformers figure since 2007 before the KOs confused the market. I'm very lucky that I know for certainty that everything I own is original because the KOs weren't hitting the market yet. I think it is extremely unfortunate that collectors have to deal with this crap and aren't able to enjoy collecting unadulterated the way that I was able to.

It's one thing when you knowingly buy a KO, but when someone sells their collection later down the road and fails to mention that the item was a KO, or when their storage unit goes up for auction because they forgot to make a few payments or, god forbid, they pass away and their loved ones sell their collection, these KOs will inevitably end up being passed off as originals sooner or later.

Rationalizing that KOs are a good thing in any manner is a selfish view and a view that fails to see the big problem in the long run. It could also be argued the same about official reissues, but they're quality items and in many cases the reissues retain the value of the originals or even surpass their value in some cases. There is a big difference between a quality official reissue and an unofficial unlicensed counterfeit product that doesn't have to meet certain quality standards.

We collectors have a huge responsibility to make sure that future generations of Transformers fans get to enjoy quality Transformers products without having every item run the risk of being a faulty or flawed or counterfeit product. Maybe some of you don't care about this and only care about what you can afford or get your hands on. There is a much bigger picture regarding all of this. I hope that those of you who think that counterfeit products belong in this market will take some time to ponder what items like that do to water down this brand and the enjoyment of collectors in the long run.

There is also the case of reissues having bad quality such as Encore Bruticus which showed serious mold degradation. My Encore Skids falls apart at the waist when transforming him. I never had an original G1 Skids so I don't know if that problem was present on that toy. I have also never had a reissue of the Eject/Rewind mold that can hold it's weapons securely.

Anyway, lets not let this descend into a KO discussion thread. I already have an original Scorponok so I won't be buying the KO.
Watch the first of my youtube series, Friends Transform.

Trikeboy
Brainmaster
News Credits: 10

Postby Fanboy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Trikeboy wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
Ultra Markus wrote:

There is also the case of reissues having bad quality such as Encore Bruticus which showed serious mold degradation. My Encore Skids falls apart at the waist when transforming him. I never had an original G1 Skids so I don't know if that problem was present on that toy. I have also never had a reissue of the Eject/Rewind mold that can hold it's weapons securely.

Anyway, lets not let this descend into a KO discussion thread. I already have an original Scorponok so I won't be buying the KO.

Bah wretched humbag I say it's hasbro responsibility to take action if KO happen.
Besides I'm sure future transformers fans will buy whats in store and won't care about g1.

Because let's face it g1 figures are outdated and you all just buy them for nolstalgia I didn't grow up in the 80, s and I have no interest in g1 while prefering masterpieces.

besides honestly if the ko are cheapwr of course you know their going to be KO their will always be a difference
I know it sounds harsh but just my 2 cents.
Fanboy

Postby Bouncy X » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:09 pm

i still have my original version and its in mint shape because he was so big it was awkward to really play with. lol
"Expect nothing, but want it all"
Bouncy X
Pretender

Postby Omega-1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:18 pm

I think articles like this are good because they help people identify which specific KOs are out there. And when the product is released, I'm sure there will be other articles identifying the differences between the KO and an original.

I personally don't care if KOs exist because I don't care if I own a KO or an official product. I only don't like it if people try to treat KOs like official products. I think people should be given the choice to decide if they want to own a KO or not so I prefer to keep people educated about KOs instead of trying to stop them.
Omega-1
Fuzor

Postby Seibertron » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:22 pm

Trikeboy wrote:There is also the case of reissues having bad quality such as Encore Bruticus which showed serious mold degradation. My Encore Skids falls apart at the waist when transforming him. I never had an original G1 Skids so I don't know if that problem was present on that toy. I have also never had a reissue of the Eject/Rewind mold that can hold it's weapons securely.

It sounds like you've got some duds that should've been returned. I have no issues with any of the toys that you mentioned. Both my Hasbro and Takara Skids are fine, I didn't notice any problems at all with my Encore Bruticus, and I have no problems at all with Eject and Rewind holding their weapons.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Burn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Fanboy wrote:besides honestly if the ko are cheapwr of course you know their going to be KO their will always be a difference
I know it sounds harsh but just my 2 cents.

You miss the point.

If they're marketed as KO's and are cheaper, yeah sure, they're going to be obvious.

But a lot of the time, they're regarded as "reissues"

Reissue Sharkticon
Reissue Dinobots
Reissue Mirage

That's just a sample of "reissues" that are on E-Bay Australia, imagine how many there are on other E-Bay sites.

And yes, any collector will know that those particular figures have never been reissued so they're obviously fake. But what about a collectors friends and family? When they go looking for a birthday or Christmas present will they make the effort to do the research?

I've been caught. I asked the seller if it was a genuine Ratchet, he assured me it was. He lied. He blatantly lied to me. It was a KO, and a crappy one at that.

So yeah, it's not a simple case of price. There are people out there who will take advantage of these figures to blatantly rip people off.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Omega-1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Burn wrote:I've been caught. I asked the seller if it was a genuine Ratchet, he assured me it was. He lied. He blatantly lied to me. It was a KO, and a crappy one at that.

If someone wants to cheat you, they will try to find a way. Someone might say that a toy is in mint condition and when you get it, it's a loose piece of crap. They might tell you it's MISB when they just carefully re-taped it.

If you know something specific that is different about the KO and official product, you should ask that question instead of whether it's official or not. The seller might not even know.
Omega-1
Fuzor

Postby Seibertron » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Omega-1 wrote:
Burn wrote:I've been caught. I asked the seller if it was a genuine Ratchet, he assured me it was. He lied. He blatantly lied to me. It was a KO, and a crappy one at that.

If someone wants to cheat you, they will try to find a way. Someone might say that a toy is in mint condition and when you get it, it's a loose piece of crap. They might tell you it's MISB when they just carefully re-taped it.

If you know something specific that is different about the KO and official product, you should ask that question instead of whether it's official or not. The seller might not even know.

Your statement applies for those of us who are die-hard fans and are aware that such counterfeit products exist. However, the majority of Transformers fans (the casual fans) are not die-hards like us here on Seibertron.com. They are unaware of that there are counterfeit products on the market and that those products come in near identical packaging to the original Transformers toys and are difficult to tell apart from an authentic product unless you know what you are looking for. Our knowledge of counterfeit products is a luxury we have that most casual Transformers fans most likely do not have. It is unfair to them.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Omega-1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Seibertron wrote:This statement applies for those of us who are die-hard fans and are aware that such counterfeit products exist. However, the majority of Transformers fans (the casual fans) are not die-hards like us here on Seibertron.com. They are unaware of that there are counterfeit products on the market and that those products come in near identical packaging to the original Transformers toys and are difficult to tell apart from an authentic product unless you know what you are looking for. Our knowledge of counterfeit products is a luxury we have that most casual Transformers fans most likely do not have. It is unfair to them.

I'm not an expert in many things that I buy, TVs, cameras, purses and honestly, not even all Transformers toys. That's why I do research before I buy them. And what if a casual fan wants to buy a toy of their favourite G1 character which costs $100 but can't afford to or don't want to pay that. Is it fair to tell them that then they can't have one when they could buy a KO for $40 (assuming they don't care if it's official or not)? That's a very elitist point of view.
Omega-1
Fuzor

Postby Burn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Omega-1 wrote:If you know something specific that is different about the KO and official product, you should ask that question instead of whether it's official or not. The seller might not even know.

Oh I asked ... and he still lied.

Pitfalls of dealing online.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby njb902 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:19 pm

Omega-1 wrote:
Seibertron wrote:This statement applies for those of us who are die-hard fans and are aware that such counterfeit products exist. However, the majority of Transformers fans (the casual fans) are not die-hards like us here on Seibertron.com. They are unaware of that there are counterfeit products on the market and that those products come in near identical packaging to the original Transformers toys and are difficult to tell apart from an authentic product unless you know what you are looking for. Our knowledge of counterfeit products is a luxury we have that most casual Transformers fans most likely do not have. It is unfair to them.

I'm not an expert in many things that I buy, TVs, cameras, purses and honestly, not even all Transformers toys. That's why I do research before I buy them. And what if a casual fan wants to buy a toy of their favourite G1 character which costs $100 but can't afford to or don't want to pay that. Is it fair to tell them that then they can't have one when they could buy a KO for $40 (assuming they don't care if it's official or not)? That's a very elitist point of view.

It's elitist to want to prevent someone from getting ripped off?
njb902
Gestalt
News Credits: 1

Next

Return to Unlicensed and KO Transformers Toys

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers BEAST WARS ANNUAL #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 FEB220440 (CA) Miller"
Transformers BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REGENERATION ONE #89 Cvr B IDW Comics 2013 89B (W)Furman (CA) Guidi"
Transformers REGEN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATION 2 #4 Marvel Comics 1994 (W) Furman (CA) Yaniger 230915P"
TRANSFORMERS GENER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MAZINGER Z vs TRANSFORMERS TPB Comic Book Villagebooks Japan Manga NEW 231208G"
NEW!
MAZINGER Z vs TRAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #3 2nd ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Texeira (W) Salicrup 230915Z"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers SHATTERED GLASS #2 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 2RI (CA) Pitre-Durocher"
Transformers SHATT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #27 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 NOV200364 27B (CA) Powell (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #27 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ART TREVOR HUTCHISON #0 All Hail Megatron IDW Comics 2009"
Transformers ART T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers INFILTRATION #1 RI-B 1:50 foil IDW Comics 2006 1RIB (CA) Guidi"
Transformers INFIL ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #36 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 AUG210581 36B (CA) Powell"
TRANSFORMERS #36 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GALAXIES #7 Cvr A IDW Comics 2020 JAN200704 7A (W) Maggs (CA) Miyao"
TRANSFORMERS GALAX ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #45 RE IDW Comics 2015 210411A (CA) Coller"
Transformers MORE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS: THE MANGA Vol 1 variant Classic TV Japanese Comics Viz 2020 HC New"
TRANSFORMERS: THE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #11 Marvel Comics 1985 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926H"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #345 - The Roast
Twincast / Podcast #345:
"The Roast"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 9th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Prime Voice Changer Helmet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe protectobot Groove" on AMAZON