Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II

Transformers News: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II

Wednesday, December 5th, 2007 4:50AM CST

Categories: Movie News, People News
Posted by: Raymond T.   Views: 14,207

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

In an unofficial capacity, Roberto Orci, one of the writers of the Transformers Movie Saga, has expressed his apology on the current situation in regards to the Hollywood Writers Guild strike on the Don Murphy Message Board. The following has been taken directly from his post there.

"How are you?

As you know, all screenwriters are engaged in a labor dispute with the major studios and media conglomerates that subsidize much, but not all of the media content that we consume. It may go on for a very long time. All the other writers I've talked to on every level are ready to hold out FOREVER, all the while figuring out ways to make a living out of the internet without studios.

So now the hard part for me and Alex and Ehren and all fans of Transformers is that the movie may suffer (unless of course you hate the first one so much that you feel our inattention is a bonus). It may be pushed back or a host of other thing may happen to it. For that we apologize truly.

will keep you posted...
".
Credit(s): www.donmurphy.net
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491082)
Posted by Baconator on December 5th, 2007 @ 7:09am CST
this sucks...
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491100)
Posted by Skowl on December 5th, 2007 @ 7:27am CST
That sucks, but Orci and the other Hollywood writers have my support.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491104)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on December 5th, 2007 @ 7:30am CST
Strike going on "FOREVER" it may be time to become a scab.

Seriously, I work for an internet company and my bosses rake in tons of money from my work, and are constantly trying to get me to do more for less. They litteraly do nothing except wait for me to upload my work, and mail in my checks, and even that they complain about.

No that note, I wish I could strike!

I understand the work is hard for say construction workers, but my brothers in a union, he makes $86ph for Saturday, and gets time and a half on THAT if he goes 5 minuts after 8 hours. And even then they complain "IT's NOT ENOUGH"

Now these guys don't have it so bad, and there is no shortage of people who would love to write out there. So to the strikers, shut up, do your job. And if you don't like the companies policies, thats very common, but you know in America, no one makes you do anything, so quit!

Go work some crappy job like most of us do, then whine about that one too, and I'll take your job.

Now I'm not saying they shouldn't get paid for their work, but these are the jobs you've choose, besides, it's not like construction workers get a share of lease or rent payments after the buildings built.

And thats just it, you're being comishioned to do work for someone else, thats it. If you want further royalties on something you do, then do your own thing, only then can you call your own shots.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491111)
Posted by Sentinel Pax on December 5th, 2007 @ 7:39am CST
Well poo poo kachoo. I still hold out faith this strike won't last too much longer, though.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491157)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on December 5th, 2007 @ 8:28am CST
As a guy who wants to become a screenwriter, I look up to these guys and they have my full support. I truly hope the studio cuts them a fair deal.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491172)
Posted by King Grimrob on December 5th, 2007 @ 8:44am CST
I'm all for scabbing. I'm a Freelance writer/artist and unfortunately because I've been independent for the sum of my career, employers see that as "limited" or "no" experience and such I'm shafted for the next guy in line.

Though I can't argue with the means of the Strike, but its been planned for the most of last year, we heard about it after TF opened, and nobody did anything to prevent it.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491187)
Posted by Abilor on December 5th, 2007 @ 8:54am CST
Liege Evilmus wrote:Strike going on "FOREVER" it may be time to become a scab.

I understand the work is hard for say construction workers, but my brothers in a union, he makes $86ph for Saturday, and gets time and a half on THAT if he goes 5 minuts after 8 hours. And even then they complain "IT's NOT ENOUGH"

Now these guys don't have it so bad, and there is no shortage of people who would love to write out there. So to the strikers, shut up, do your job. And if you don't like the companies policies, thats very common, but you know in America, no one makes you do anything, so quit!

Go work some crappy job like most of us do, then whine about that one too, and I'll take your job.

And thats just it, you're being comishioned to do work for someone else, thats it. If you want further royalties on something you do, then do your own thing, only then can you call your own shots.


Shame on you. They're writers, and you sound like a coder. You both sit in chairs all day, puching keyboards for what are both sickly, oily moneywhores like Josh Larson. You complain about YOUR bosses taking your money you earn them from your fluffy ass-cushion job, and then in the same breath tell these guys to cowboy up.

Your boss might make $100,000 this year off your 1337 skills. Imagine if he made $20 million? THAT'S part of why there's a writer strike on.

If you want to call your own shots, then go start your own internet company!! And the first thing you'll do is hire some kid to do some coding...

And BTW, construction guys DON'T get enough, because they have the riskiest damn job in the world (indluding road guys). If you don't actually die on the job, the mesothelioma or other industrial cancers will.

The circle of life...
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491241)
Posted by Zeds on December 5th, 2007 @ 9:35am CST
Hope this all ends well.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491245)
Posted by Mega Zarak on December 5th, 2007 @ 9:37am CST
Abilor wrote:
Liege Evilmus wrote:Strike going on "FOREVER" it may be time to become a scab.

I understand the work is hard for say construction workers, but my brothers in a union, he makes $86ph for Saturday, and gets time and a half on THAT if he goes 5 minuts after 8 hours. And even then they complain "IT's NOT ENOUGH"

Now these guys don't have it so bad, and there is no shortage of people who would love to write out there. So to the strikers, shut up, do your job. And if you don't like the companies policies, thats very common, but you know in America, no one makes you do anything, so quit!

Go work some crappy job like most of us do, then whine about that one too, and I'll take your job.

And thats just it, you're being comishioned to do work for someone else, thats it. If you want further royalties on something you do, then do your own thing, only then can you call your own shots.


Shame on you. They're writers, and you sound like a coder. You both sit in chairs all day, puching keyboards for what are both sickly, oily moneywhores like Josh Larson. You complain about YOUR bosses taking your money you earn them from your fluffy ass-cushion job, and then in the same breath tell these guys to cowboy up.

Your boss might make $100,000 this year off your 1337 skills. Imagine if he made $20 million? THAT'S part of why there's a writer strike on.

If you want to call your own shots, then go start your own internet company!! And the first thing you'll do is hire some kid to do some coding...

And BTW, construction guys DON'T get enough, because they have the riskiest damn job in the world (indluding road guys). If you don't actually die on the job, the mesothelioma or other industrial cancers will.

The circle of life...


Are you kidding? Liege made a very valid point, we are in America if you don't like the pay or conditions move on. There are tons of more talented guys out there that would kill for the opportunities these guys have. Plus I'm fairly sure none of these guys are rubbing pennies together to pay the rent. I made this point a month or so ago when the first news topic came up about this. It's not like these guys were blindsided, they took these jobs knowing the pay. For the record I agree that they should get some additonal compensation BUT the studios are the ones financing the movie thus taking all the financial risks. Thats why they take the lion share of the profits. They have to compesate for poorly performing movies that some writer did a hack job on. Wild Wild West is a perfect example do you have any idea how much money was lost on that movie? All of this is a perfect example of the current mindset that Big Business in America is some evil entity, breaking backs & stealing money.
The only people who will suffer during this is us.

End of rant...
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491256)
Posted by Blozor on December 5th, 2007 @ 9:44am CST
I posted a blurb about this yesterday.

Blozor wrote:This seems like such an absurdly simple thing to settle; I just don't get it. These studios make billions of dollars a year. The writers are asking for pennies. [Blankety blank], give them their money! What are you doing with all that money anyway, especially when it turns out that you're not compensating your staff?


Also, here's a fun little video from the writers of The Daily Show that might help explain things a little for those not really following the story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRHlpEmr0w
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491277)
Posted by Creature SH on December 5th, 2007 @ 10:07am CST
Take your time, writers. Take your time.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491365)
Posted by Chaoslock on December 5th, 2007 @ 11:04am CST
It's time for new writers to step up.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491412)
Posted by JazZeke on December 5th, 2007 @ 11:37am CST
Wait... Transformers had WRITERS!? Since when???
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491663)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on December 5th, 2007 @ 1:47pm CST
Fucking crap....I'm on the writer's side as far as royalties are concerned, but I'm also a "consumer whore" who wants his TF2 ASAP...
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491679)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on December 5th, 2007 @ 1:56pm CST
Mega Zarak wrote:
Abilor wrote:
Liege Evilmus wrote:Strike going on "FOREVER" it may be time to become a scab.

I understand the work is hard for say construction workers, but my brothers in a union, he makes $86ph for Saturday, and gets time and a half on THAT if he goes 5 minuts after 8 hours. And even then they complain "IT's NOT ENOUGH"

Now these guys don't have it so bad, and there is no shortage of people who would love to write out there. So to the strikers, shut up, do your job. And if you don't like the companies policies, thats very common, but you know in America, no one makes you do anything, so quit!

Go work some crappy job like most of us do, then whine about that one too, and I'll take your job.

And thats just it, you're being comishioned to do work for someone else, thats it. If you want further royalties on something you do, then do your own thing, only then can you call your own shots.


Shame on you. They're writers, and you sound like a coder. You both sit in chairs all day, puching keyboards for what are both sickly, oily moneywhores like Josh Larson. You complain about YOUR bosses taking your money you earn them from your fluffy ass-cushion job, and then in the same breath tell these guys to cowboy up.

Your boss might make $100,000 this year off your 1337 skills. Imagine if he made $20 million? THAT'S part of why there's a writer strike on.

If you want to call your own shots, then go start your own internet company!! And the first thing you'll do is hire some kid to do some coding...

And BTW, construction guys DON'T get enough, because they have the riskiest damn job in the world (indluding road guys). If you don't actually die on the job, the mesothelioma or other industrial cancers will.

The circle of life...


Are you kidding? Liege made a very valid point, we are in America if you don't like the pay or conditions move on. There are tons of more talented guys out there that would kill for the opportunities these guys have. Plus I'm fairly sure none of these guys are rubbing pennies together to pay the rent. I made this point a month or so ago when the first news topic came up about this. It's not like these guys were blindsided, they took these jobs knowing the pay. For the record I agree that they should get some additonal compensation BUT the studios are the ones financing the movie thus taking all the financial risks. Thats why they take the lion share of the profits. They have to compesate for poorly performing movies that some writer did a hack job on. Wild Wild West is a perfect example do you have any idea how much money was lost on that movie? All of this is a perfect example of the current mindset that Big Business in America is some evil entity, breaking backs & stealing money.
The only people who will suffer during this is us.

End of rant...


Thanks, and to Abilor, you shouldn't make assumptions about people and what they do, I'm not a coder, but a field photographer. I do nice set up work from time to time, but mostly, reguardless of weather, I'm running up and down car lots, and traffic with 3 different cameras, two laptops, and anywhere from 1 to 200 different sets of keys. Today, it was 22 degrees out and snowing, which ment now I have to carry tools to clean these cars too.

I've worked many jobs more difficult and revolting, including construction, and I can tell you from experience, "cushy" is not a word I'd use to describe what I do. To be honest, the masonry, and electrical, were alot less demanding.

But still, when I did these jobs, I didn't have UNION support, and knowing what the average person earns for a hard days work, I'll go grab my hard hat and boots for half that Saturday pay, and be happy for it!
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (491743)
Posted by Sonray on December 5th, 2007 @ 2:28pm CST
The strike is retarded, i wish they would just get on with it so Bay can start on TF2.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492005)
Posted by Agent 007 on December 5th, 2007 @ 4:29pm CST
Jeez! You'de think if the movie and tv industry thought about how much they would loose in ratings and everything, that they would just give in
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492032)
Posted by Abilor on December 5th, 2007 @ 4:39pm CST
Liege Evilmus wrote:
Mega Zarak wrote:
Abilor wrote:
Liege Evilmus wrote:Strike going on "FOREVER" it may be time to become a scab.

I understand the work is hard for say construction workers, but my brothers in a union, he makes $86ph for Saturday, and gets time and a half on THAT if he goes 5 minuts after 8 hours. And even then they complain "IT's NOT ENOUGH"

Now these guys don't have it so bad, and there is no shortage of people who would love to write out there. So to the strikers, shut up, do your job. And if you don't like the companies policies, thats very common, but you know in America, no one makes you do anything, so quit!

Go work some crappy job like most of us do, then whine about that one too, and I'll take your job.

And thats just it, you're being comishioned to do work for someone else, thats it. If you want further royalties on something you do, then do your own thing, only then can you call your own shots.


Shame on you. They're writers, and you sound like a coder. You both sit in chairs all day, puching keyboards for what are both sickly, oily moneywhores like Josh Larson. You complain about YOUR bosses taking your money you earn them from your fluffy ass-cushion job, and then in the same breath tell these guys to cowboy up.

Your boss might make $100,000 this year off your 1337 skills. Imagine if he made $20 million? THAT'S part of why there's a writer strike on.

If you want to call your own shots, then go start your own internet company!! And the first thing you'll do is hire some kid to do some coding...

And BTW, construction guys DON'T get enough, because they have the riskiest damn job in the world (indluding road guys). If you don't actually die on the job, the mesothelioma or other industrial cancers will.

The circle of life...


Are you kidding? Liege made a very valid point, we are in America if you don't like the pay or conditions move on. There are tons of more talented guys out there that would kill for the opportunities these guys have. Plus I'm fairly sure none of these guys are rubbing pennies together to pay the rent. I made this point a month or so ago when the first news topic came up about this. It's not like these guys were blindsided, they took these jobs knowing the pay. For the record I agree that they should get some additonal compensation BUT the studios are the ones financing the movie thus taking all the financial risks. Thats why they take the lion share of the profits. They have to compesate for poorly performing movies that some writer did a hack job on. Wild Wild West is a perfect example do you have any idea how much money was lost on that movie? All of this is a perfect example of the current mindset that Big Business in America is some evil entity, breaking backs & stealing money.
The only people who will suffer during this is us.

End of rant...


Thanks, and to Abilor, you shouldn't make assumptions about people and what they do, I'm not a coder, but a field photographer. I do nice set up work from time to time, but mostly, reguardless of weather, I'm running up and down car lots, and traffic with 3 different cameras, two laptops, and anywhere from 1 to 200 different sets of keys. Today, it was 22 degrees out and snowing, which ment now I have to carry tools to clean these cars too.

I've worked many jobs more difficult and revolting, including construction, and I can tell you from experience, "cushy" is not a word I'd use to describe what I do. To be honest, the masonry, and electrical, were alot less demanding.

But still, when I did these jobs, I didn't have UNION support, and knowing what the average person earns for a hard days work, I'll go grab my hard hat and boots for half that Saturday pay, and be happy for it!


You're right, assumptions are poor, which is why I said you "sounded" like a coder. Yup, field photog is rough. Kind of like hunting, but without the gun part. And I agree, construction is not "cushy." My Dad (a programmer) bitches all the time that they're lazy overpaid thugmonkeys (programming for a construction company no less). I disagree, they're paid what they're worth, if not less, even union guys.

I think the nerve that has been touched for me is that lots of folks think trade union members are scumbags, and that strikes are motivated purely by greed. Strikers often have to use the constitutional right to assemble just to not be dragged away by officers (Don't taze me bro!), not in this high profile writers strike, but various meat-packer strikes I've seen documentaries on (and shown to students). Strikes are ugly, ugly, ugly, and usually end with everyone sh1tcanned anyway, or ostracized for being a scab, whatever.

And I hate to sound like I'm bleeding, but there really is very little to keep corporate power in check. "Corporation" literally means "body", and is legally an actual person. This person has all the rights that you and I have, with all the resources of some small nations. It sets policies for its employees, and its revenge on them is terrible if they break those policies. Who would want to be sued by WalMart, even if they did nothing wrong? Enron, for example, really, really screwed people. But when it comes to holding people accountable, the great part is that its the corporation that broke the law/went bankrupt. I'm not saying individual's aren't held accountable at all, but being incorporated offers you tons of legal loopholes. My anti-union father from above incorporated, and seeing how he cooks his books, it's astonishing what you can get away with, and he's just one guy!

Corporations are like devastator: an obscene pooling of power of many people rolled into one giant mother******. Strikes are autobots "rolling out." What else you gonna do?
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492085)
Posted by Mega Zarak on December 5th, 2007 @ 5:00pm CST
Abilor wrote:
Liege Evilmus wrote:
Mega Zarak wrote:
Abilor wrote:
Liege Evilmus wrote:Strike going on "FOREVER" it may be time to become a scab.

I understand the work is hard for say construction workers, but my brothers in a union, he makes $86ph for Saturday, and gets time and a half on THAT if he goes 5 minuts after 8 hours. And even then they complain "IT's NOT ENOUGH"

Now these guys don't have it so bad, and there is no shortage of people who would love to write out there. So to the strikers, shut up, do your job. And if you don't like the companies policies, thats very common, but you know in America, no one makes you do anything, so quit!

Go work some crappy job like most of us do, then whine about that one too, and I'll take your job.

And thats just it, you're being comishioned to do work for someone else, thats it. If you want further royalties on something you do, then do your own thing, only then can you call your own shots.


Shame on you. They're writers, and you sound like a coder. You both sit in chairs all day, puching keyboards for what are both sickly, oily moneywhores like Josh Larson. You complain about YOUR bosses taking your money you earn them from your fluffy ass-cushion job, and then in the same breath tell these guys to cowboy up.

Your boss might make $100,000 this year off your 1337 skills. Imagine if he made $20 million? THAT'S part of why there's a writer strike on.

If you want to call your own shots, then go start your own internet company!! And the first thing you'll do is hire some kid to do some coding...

And BTW, construction guys DON'T get enough, because they have the riskiest damn job in the world (indluding road guys). If you don't actually die on the job, the mesothelioma or other industrial cancers will.

The circle of life...


Are you kidding? Liege made a very valid point, we are in America if you don't like the pay or conditions move on. There are tons of more talented guys out there that would kill for the opportunities these guys have. Plus I'm fairly sure none of these guys are rubbing pennies together to pay the rent. I made this point a month or so ago when the first news topic came up about this. It's not like these guys were blindsided, they took these jobs knowing the pay. For the record I agree that they should get some additonal compensation BUT the studios are the ones financing the movie thus taking all the financial risks. Thats why they take the lion share of the profits. They have to compesate for poorly performing movies that some writer did a hack job on. Wild Wild West is a perfect example do you have any idea how much money was lost on that movie? All of this is a perfect example of the current mindset that Big Business in America is some evil entity, breaking backs & stealing money.
The only people who will suffer during this is us.

End of rant...


Thanks, and to Abilor, you shouldn't make assumptions about people and what they do, I'm not a coder, but a field photographer. I do nice set up work from time to time, but mostly, reguardless of weather, I'm running up and down car lots, and traffic with 3 different cameras, two laptops, and anywhere from 1 to 200 different sets of keys. Today, it was 22 degrees out and snowing, which ment now I have to carry tools to clean these cars too.

I've worked many jobs more difficult and revolting, including construction, and I can tell you from experience, "cushy" is not a word I'd use to describe what I do. To be honest, the masonry, and electrical, were alot less demanding.

But still, when I did these jobs, I didn't have UNION support, and knowing what the average person earns for a hard days work, I'll go grab my hard hat and boots for half that Saturday pay, and be happy for it!


You're right, assumptions are poor, which is why I said you "sounded" like a coder. Yup, field photog is rough. Kind of like hunting, but without the gun part. And I agree, construction is not "cushy." My Dad (a programmer) bitches all the time that they're lazy overpaid thugmonkeys (programming for a construction company no less). I disagree, they're paid what they're worth, if not less, even union guys.

I think the nerve that has been touched for me is that lots of folks think trade union members are scumbags, and that strikes are motivated purely by greed. Strikers often have to use the constitutional right to assemble just to not be dragged away by officers (Don't taze me bro!), not in this high profile writers strike, but various meat-packer strikes I've seen documentaries on (and shown to students). Strikes are ugly, ugly, ugly, and usually end with everyone sh1tcanned anyway, or ostracized for being a scab, whatever.

And I hate to sound like I'm bleeding, but there really is very little to keep corporate power in check. "Corporation" literally means "body", and is legally an actual person. This person has all the rights that you and I have, with all the resources of some small nations. It sets policies for its employees, and its revenge on them is terrible if they break those policies. Who would want to be sued by WalMart, even if they did nothing wrong? Enron, for example, really, really screwed people. But when it comes to holding people accountable, the great part is that its the corporation that broke the law/went bankrupt. I'm not saying individual's aren't held accountable at all, but being incorporated offers you tons of legal loopholes. My anti-union father from above incorporated, and seeing how he cooks his books, it's astonishing what you can get away with, and he's just one guy!

Corporations are like devastator: an obscene pooling of power of many people rolled into one giant mother******. Strikes are autobots "rolling out." What else you gonna do?


Abilor,
I agree with 98% of what you are saying the right to strike is something that has made thousands of lives better. Fair enough, I just see struggling writers that would dream for the gig these guys have.

You mentioned Enron, I live in Houston and worked for Enron. While you are right about them, thats just one large corporation. I now work for another global oil & gas entity (Halliburton) that is considered an evil empire because of certain ex employees (Hint D. C). I have to say they are fantastic to us. I have never worked for another company that treated employees this well. Not all large companies are bad companies, it's just sensationalized media that reports on the bad. Nothing is every said about large companies when they do something good. Even Enron before the "Issues" had regular things like huge toy drives during Christmas.

Back on subject I think the writers are due more but aren't they considered independant contractors? Really I don't know. Like of the 1099 variety? If that is the case aren't they the masters of their own fate, IE benefits and so on? One studio does not want to pay X amount move on to the next? Or are they actually studio employees?

Differences on the subject aside, we are all here because of our love of the franchise no hard feelings. :grin:
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492129)
Posted by Autobot032 on December 5th, 2007 @ 5:16pm CST
This strike is ridiculous.

I think both sides should be willing to find a compromise, not win one over the other.

I see the plight of the writers and understand it. I also see the plight of the public caught in the cross hairs and how unfair it is.

Heck, I'm all for new writers stepping in and replacing the current ones on all TV/Movie projects.

Fresh blood is what Hollywood needs and plenty of writers out there have insane amounts of talent and we just pass them over because of the who's who in Hollywood now.

It's time to end this and now.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492244)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on December 5th, 2007 @ 6:12pm CST
Mega Zarak wrote:
Abilor wrote:
Liege Evilmus wrote:
Mega Zarak wrote:
Abilor wrote:
Liege Evilmus wrote:Strike going on "FOREVER" it may be time to become a scab.

I understand the work is hard for say construction workers, but my brothers in a union, he makes $86ph for Saturday, and gets time and a half on THAT if he goes 5 minuts after 8 hours. And even then they complain "IT's NOT ENOUGH"

Now these guys don't have it so bad, and there is no shortage of people who would love to write out there. So to the strikers, shut up, do your job. And if you don't like the companies policies, thats very common, but you know in America, no one makes you do anything, so quit!

Go work some crappy job like most of us do, then whine about that one too, and I'll take your job.

And thats just it, you're being comishioned to do work for someone else, thats it. If you want further royalties on something you do, then do your own thing, only then can you call your own shots.


Shame on you. They're writers, and you sound like a coder. You both sit in chairs all day, puching keyboards for what are both sickly, oily moneywhores like Josh Larson. You complain about YOUR bosses taking your money you earn them from your fluffy ass-cushion job, and then in the same breath tell these guys to cowboy up.

Your boss might make $100,000 this year off your 1337 skills. Imagine if he made $20 million? THAT'S part of why there's a writer strike on.

If you want to call your own shots, then go start your own internet company!! And the first thing you'll do is hire some kid to do some coding...

And BTW, construction guys DON'T get enough, because they have the riskiest damn job in the world (indluding road guys). If you don't actually die on the job, the mesothelioma or other industrial cancers will.

The circle of life...


Are you kidding? Liege made a very valid point, we are in America if you don't like the pay or conditions move on. There are tons of more talented guys out there that would kill for the opportunities these guys have. Plus I'm fairly sure none of these guys are rubbing pennies together to pay the rent. I made this point a month or so ago when the first news topic came up about this. It's not like these guys were blindsided, they took these jobs knowing the pay. For the record I agree that they should get some additonal compensation BUT the studios are the ones financing the movie thus taking all the financial risks. Thats why they take the lion share of the profits. They have to compesate for poorly performing movies that some writer did a hack job on. Wild Wild West is a perfect example do you have any idea how much money was lost on that movie? All of this is a perfect example of the current mindset that Big Business in America is some evil entity, breaking backs & stealing money.
The only people who will suffer during this is us.

End of rant...


Thanks, and to Abilor, you shouldn't make assumptions about people and what they do, I'm not a coder, but a field photographer. I do nice set up work from time to time, but mostly, reguardless of weather, I'm running up and down car lots, and traffic with 3 different cameras, two laptops, and anywhere from 1 to 200 different sets of keys. Today, it was 22 degrees out and snowing, which ment now I have to carry tools to clean these cars too.

I've worked many jobs more difficult and revolting, including construction, and I can tell you from experience, "cushy" is not a word I'd use to describe what I do. To be honest, the masonry, and electrical, were alot less demanding.

But still, when I did these jobs, I didn't have UNION support, and knowing what the average person earns for a hard days work, I'll go grab my hard hat and boots for half that Saturday pay, and be happy for it!


You're right, assumptions are poor, which is why I said you "sounded" like a coder. Yup, field photog is rough. Kind of like hunting, but without the gun part. And I agree, construction is not "cushy." My Dad (a programmer) bitches all the time that they're lazy overpaid thugmonkeys (programming for a construction company no less). I disagree, they're paid what they're worth, if not less, even union guys.

I think the nerve that has been touched for me is that lots of folks think trade union members are scumbags, and that strikes are motivated purely by greed. Strikers often have to use the constitutional right to assemble just to not be dragged away by officers (Don't taze me bro!), not in this high profile writers strike, but various meat-packer strikes I've seen documentaries on (and shown to students). Strikes are ugly, ugly, ugly, and usually end with everyone sh1tcanned anyway, or ostracized for being a scab, whatever.

And I hate to sound like I'm bleeding, but there really is very little to keep corporate power in check. "Corporation" literally means "body", and is legally an actual person. This person has all the rights that you and I have, with all the resources of some small nations. It sets policies for its employees, and its revenge on them is terrible if they break those policies. Who would want to be sued by WalMart, even if they did nothing wrong? Enron, for example, really, really screwed people. But when it comes to holding people accountable, the great part is that its the corporation that broke the law/went bankrupt. I'm not saying individual's aren't held accountable at all, but being incorporated offers you tons of legal loopholes. My anti-union father from above incorporated, and seeing how he cooks his books, it's astonishing what you can get away with, and he's just one guy!

Corporations are like devastator: an obscene pooling of power of many people rolled into one giant mother******. Strikes are autobots "rolling out." What else you gonna do?


Abilor,
I agree with 98% of what you are saying the right to strike is something that has made thousands of lives better. Fair enough, I just see struggling writers that would dream for the gig these guys have.

You mentioned Enron, I live in Houston and worked for Enron. While you are right about them, thats just one large corporation. I now work for another global oil & gas entity (Halliburton) that is considered an evil empire because of certain ex employees (Hint D. C). I have to say they are fantastic to us. I have never worked for another company that treated employees this well. Not all large companies are bad companies, it's just sensationalized media that reports on the bad. Nothing is every said about large companies when they do something good. Even Enron before the "Issues" had regular things like huge toy drives during Christmas.

Back on subject I think the writers are due more but aren't they considered independant contractors? Really I don't know. Like of the 1099 variety? If that is the case aren't they the masters of their own fate, IE benefits and so on? One studio does not want to pay X amount move on to the next? Or are they actually studio employees?

Differences on the subject aside, we are all here because of our love of the franchise no hard feelings. :grin:


I'm gonna agree with the both of you two.

But again, my nerve with this is simple, you helped write a story, you didn't create the story, you were just hired to flesh it out. When your job is done, it's done. If your doing it for an agency, studio, or whathave you, you don't have the rights. You are no more than any other contractor, and when your job is done it's done.

I say this as someone who writes and submits work all the time and full well knows the importance of copywrite and royalties. I often wave payment to keep the rights just so I don't have to fight to have my work published again with my name on it while I'm trying to build a name for myself.

Why, cause thats the game.

As for the right to strike, to be honest, I think more people should have it. I know me and my coworkers would love it. But it still doesn't change the fact that there's always someone willing to do it if you wont. So play your cards. Besides studios have been doing this type of things for years. If these people didn't put an adendum in their initial contracts about future royalties after Giligan's Island, it's there own fault for not paying attention for the past million years!

I'll suport medical workers who strike in shifts because they know that people truely need them, but they still have to get their points across. Those people make nothing, and deserve it, their jobs are increadably nessicary!

This however, is just greed over an indulgence. So get to work or get out or the way. And come your next job, please look before you leap.

Guarenteed after a month in the private sector, they'd look back and say "these jobs REALY suck, lets strike, oh we can't. Maybe we didn't have it so bad." As they open up a pack of Ramen Noodles after a 10 hour day.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492432)
Posted by ***Galvatron*** on December 5th, 2007 @ 7:29pm CST
"I'll suport medical workers who strike in shifts because they know that people truely need them, but they still have to get their points across. Those people make nothing, and deserve it, their jobs are increadably nessicary!"

Tell me about it, I work for a hospital operating room and our contract is up in June, the organization is already working full speed ahead to do whatever it takes to get rid of certain people even BEFORE the contract is up and when it is up I can assure you they will try even harder in other departments to get rid of them.
We are most likely safe in the o.r. but that's not a guarantee but they've already slashed 2.5 million dollars in just the supplies area and that's just the o.r. I work in and it's only a start, the other o.r's will face the same or worse and that does not include any payroll issues.
They plan to "lay off" or eliminate at least a thousand jobs next year alone most likely more and they want to outsource certain jobs too.
Point is that strikes while ugly do serve a good purpose and neither side will ever get everything they want, there will always have to be concessions made on both sides.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492446)
Posted by TheStarScreamer on December 5th, 2007 @ 7:34pm CST
Okay, well first of all let's stop the mile-long quoting.

Now, the writers are a bunch of pansies. There are probably more talented and less bitchy writers that could replace them for less money. I say fire all the striking queefs and bring in some new blood.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492483)
Posted by ***Galvatron*** on December 5th, 2007 @ 7:51pm CST
Chaoslock wrote:It's time for new writers to step up.




Ohhhhhh noooooo, KREMZEEEEEK!!!
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492636)
Posted by Abilor on December 5th, 2007 @ 9:35pm CST
TheStarScreamer wrote:Okay, well first of all let's stop the mile-long quoting.

Now, the writers are a bunch of pansies. There are probably more talented and less bitchy writers that could replace them for less money. I say fire all the striking queefs and bring in some new blood.

Image
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492645)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on December 5th, 2007 @ 9:41pm CST
Abilor wrote:
TheStarScreamer wrote:Okay, well first of all let's stop the mile-long quoting.

Now, the writers are a bunch of pansies. There are probably more talented and less bitchy writers that could replace them for less money. I say fire all the striking queefs and bring in some new blood.

Image


:D :shock: :grin: :P
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492661)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on December 5th, 2007 @ 9:54pm CST
***Galvatron*** wrote:"I'll suport medical workers who strike in shifts because they know that people truely need them, but they still have to get their points across. Those people make nothing, and deserve it, their jobs are increadably nessicary!"

Tell me about it, I work for a hospital operating room and our contract is up in June, the organization is already working full speed ahead to do whatever it takes to get rid of certain people even BEFORE the contract is up and when it is up I can assure you they will try even harder in other departments to get rid of them.
We are most likely safe in the o.r. but that's not a guarantee but they've already slashed 2.5 million dollars in just the supplies area and that's just the o.r. I work in and it's only a start, the other o.r's will face the same or worse and that does not include any payroll issues.
They plan to "lay off" or eliminate at least a thousand jobs next year alone most likely more and they want to outsource certain jobs too.
Point is that strikes while ugly do serve a good purpose and neither side will ever get everything they want, there will always have to be concessions made on both sides.


I here ya, my Mom and one of my sisters are nurses and are constantly nervious about these issues.

They, and the majority of thir coworkers who I've met, genuinely care about the people they help, and it's sad to see them struggling just to get by as a vital industry constantly and consistantly suffers.

It's even more sad that there's problems like this through out the world's workforce, that are getting little if any help while these people are crying about the fact that they aren't getting paid for the afterfacts of their completed jobs!

This to me is like you a hospital worker expecting compensation because a dismissed patient needs off site rehabilitation therapy :???:

Which hey, if it does work for them, I say push for it, after all they arent fully healthy yet, they are still seekeing help, and even though you aren't involved anymore, you where at one point :-?

I don't mean to ridicule you with that, just the writer's situation, cause as far as I know, the world doesn't work like that.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (492834)
Posted by Burn on December 6th, 2007 @ 12:16am CST
I do so love the narrow mindedness and ignorance of some in this thread.

How many people have actually stopped and researched WHY they're striking?

What's that? They want more money? Yeah, that's the SIMPLE explanation.

The longer more detailed explanation is this.

A few years ago the Writer's Guild and the big studios struck an agreement on how writer's would be paid.

That agreement however was before streaming technology became prevalent over the internet.

Now you have networks streaming tv episodes a day or so after they originally go to air, or offer them to be downloaded from iTunes.

The networks are generating revenue from these steams and downloads, and under the agreement the writers receive NOTHING of that revenue.

THIS is what they're striking over. They want a slice of that revenue generated by stuff they helped create.

Wouldn't you want your share of something you helped to create? Think about that before you dismiss the writer's.

Oh and consider this, "there's far more talented people who would kill to get a foot in the door to write" ... you might find some networks will NOT work with writers and actors who are not part of the SWG or SAG.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (493425)
Posted by Mega Zarak on December 6th, 2007 @ 11:20am CST
Burn wrote:I do so love the narrow mindedness and ignorance of some in this thread.

How many people have actually stopped and researched WHY they're striking?

What's that? They want more money? Yeah, that's the SIMPLE explanation.

The longer more detailed explanation is this.

A few years ago the Writer's Guild and the big studios struck an agreement on how writer's would be paid.

That agreement however was before streaming technology became prevalent over the internet.

Now you have networks streaming tv episodes a day or so after they originally go to air, or offer them to be downloaded from iTunes.

The networks are generating revenue from these steams and downloads, and under the agreement the writers receive NOTHING of that revenue.

THIS is what they're striking over. They want a slice of that revenue generated by stuff they helped create.

Wouldn't you want your share of something you helped to create? Think about that before you dismiss the writer's.

Oh and consider this, "there's far more talented people who would kill to get a foot in the door to write" ... you might find some networks will NOT work with writers and actors who are not part of the SWG or SAG.


I love being called narrow minded & ignorant by a person that did not bother to read my post a few spaces above. I commented that I did not know exactly why they were striking other than money. I did not know their situation, such as if they were studio employees or contractors. I also don't have to like that WE are paying the price for the strike.

And if they are doing it because of streaming video and downloads that does not change much in my mind. Studios have embraced these things because of a decline in ticket sales at theaters. I think the decline is because of sub par poorly WRITTEN movies. So who is really to blame here?

Now again I will say I am not trying to be disagreeable but we all have our own opinions.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (494171)
Posted by Burn on December 6th, 2007 @ 6:10pm CST
I love how people take things personally when their name isn't even mentioned. ;;)
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (494187)
Posted by Sonray on December 6th, 2007 @ 6:17pm CST
Burn wrote:I love how people take things personally when their name isn't even mentioned. ;;)


Welcome to the internetz. :P
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (494322)
Posted by Mega Zarak on December 6th, 2007 @ 7:23pm CST
Burn wrote:I love how people take things personally when their name isn't even mentioned. ;;)


You are right you did not mention any names. Rough day today, my apologies.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (496375)
Posted by ***Galvatron*** on December 7th, 2007 @ 10:07pm CST
If people aren't going to the theaters because of poorly written scripts then why would they want to download the same crappy movies at home? that makes no sense to me. If they've already determined that it's not worth watching in the theaters then sitting in front of a screen which most peoples are still much smaller than their tv sets certainly isn't much more of an incentive to me not to mention most peoples crappy chairs in front of their pc's. You lose the scope of a lot of movies or tv shows watching them that way which is why I love my 50" HD 1080dpi big screen tv, it's made a world of difference to me in detail that I see not only in the picture size but clarity and detail and better sound too.
Samsung, the same people that made my 50" tv now have a 73" tv set I think for not much more than what I paid for this one and I really want to get it in a year or less but I think that is more than big enough for a long time to come if not forever lol.

People make excuses of illegally downloading movies because theaters suck, I say they are just cheap and lazy and think they have to "stick it to the man" some how.

If all the theaters suck what's their excuse to justify the piracy of music then?
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (496837)
Posted by Sonray on December 8th, 2007 @ 8:43am CST
***Galvatron*** wrote:If people aren't going to the theaters because of poorly written scripts then why would they want to download the same crappy movies at home? that makes no sense to me. If they've already determined that it's not worth watching in the theaters then sitting in front of a screen which most peoples are still much smaller than their tv sets certainly isn't much more of an incentive to me not to mention most peoples crappy chairs in front of their pc's. You lose the scope of a lot of movies or tv shows watching them that way which is why I love my 50" HD 1080dpi big screen tv, it's made a world of difference to me in detail that I see not only in the picture size but clarity and detail and better sound too.
Samsung, the same people that made my 50" tv now have a 73" tv set I think for not much more than what I paid for this one and I really want to get it in a year or less but I think that is more than big enough for a long time to come if not forever lol.

People make excuses of illegally downloading movies because theaters suck, I say they are just cheap and lazy and think they have to "stick it to the man" some how.

If all the theaters suck what's their excuse to justify the piracy of music then?


Heres the reason: Going to the theater costs money, a small fortune if you live in the UK. downloading the film to your PC doesnt cost anything.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (496898)
Posted by Abilor on December 8th, 2007 @ 9:32am CST
***Galvatron*** wrote:
If all the theaters suck what's their excuse to justify the piracy of music then?


What he said ^^^


Besides, who needs an excuse?
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (496906)
Posted by Mega Zarak on December 8th, 2007 @ 9:38am CST
***Galvatron*** wrote:If people aren't going to the theaters because of poorly written scripts then why would they want to download the same crappy movies at home? that makes no sense to me. If they've already determined that it's not worth watching in the theaters then sitting in front of a screen which most peoples are still much smaller than their tv sets certainly isn't much more of an incentive to me not to mention most peoples crappy chairs in front of their pc's. You lose the scope of a lot of movies or tv shows watching them that way which is why I love my 50" HD 1080dpi big screen tv, it's made a world of difference to me in detail that I see not only in the picture size but clarity and detail and better sound too.
Samsung, the same people that made my 50" tv now have a 73" tv set I think for not much more than what I paid for this one and I really want to get it in a year or less but I think that is more than big enough for a long time to come if not forever lol.

People make excuses of illegally downloading movies because theaters suck, I say they are just cheap and lazy and think they have to "stick it to the man" some how.

If all the theaters suck what's their excuse to justify the piracy of music then?


Okay no one said anything about illegal downloads. I have never done that. When I said studios are starting to embrace the idea I assumed you knew I meant legal downloads.

And I suggest you read my posts above defending big business before you assume I am the type to stick it to that man. Quite the opposite.

BTW which model Samsung do you have? It sounds like we have the same one. I have mine hooked up to a media center PC, kinda helps to avoid the crappy PC chair thing huh? :grin:
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (496915)
Posted by Mega Zarak on December 8th, 2007 @ 9:42am CST
Also I avoid theaters in my area because of the annoying kids. Man, that makes me sound old. You can't hear between the cell phones and the one alpha moron making loud comments to impress his little emo harem.

It's not really a money thing at least for me. Although it is getting there, last time we went it cost like 40 bucks for my wife and I.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (498132)
Posted by muswp1 on December 8th, 2007 @ 11:43pm CST
As long as we are talking about the writers strike, this should be interesting reading:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/talks-day-8-toldja-amptp-quits-talks-issues-statement-filled-with-lies/

After reading this, I'm pretty sure this is going to last for a while. If this strike continues through June 2008 when the rumored SAG strike starts over their contract expiring, this could get ugly.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (498178)
Posted by Burn on December 9th, 2007 @ 12:33am CST
IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT THE MOVIE INDUSTRY!

If anything it stems from the television industry and the revenue generated by advertising when streamed from the network's website or from the likes of iTunes.

And it is most definitely NOT about illegal downloads. Why would the writer's strike and demand more money from the networks and studios because of illegal downloads? It's not like the networks and studios are getting more money from illegal downloads now is it? ;;)
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (499208)
Posted by Roberto Orci on December 9th, 2007 @ 5:11pm CST
TheStarScreamer wrote:Okay, well first of all let's stop the mile-long quoting.

Now, the writers are a bunch of pansies. There are probably more talented and less bitchy writers that could replace them for less money. I say fire all the striking queefs and bring in some new blood.


What many like minded individuals like yourself should consider is that we are not just striking for ourselves. We are striking for new blood, too.

Writing, in the final analysis, is the last truly democratic entry point into this business. We can't all be born looking like Brad Pitt or Julia Roberts, and not everyone is fortunate enough to have the money to go to film school and learn how to use expensive equipment to learn how to direct. BUT ANYBODY CAN HAVE AN IDEA, and when they do, they should be protected from having it cannibalized by studios, which are essentially little banks. Instead of loan officers and tellers, they have executives. And they "loan" the talent money to make their content. All they currently ask in return is a 99.99 percent interest rate on al l future earnings of y our creation.

The WGA is not a secret club which limits members. If you have an idea and someone buys it, you're in. Period. This strike is as much for current members as it is for any aspiring writers. That's probably why we currently have the support of so many within our industry who have been laid off. They too have ideas for shows and movies, and they know that if they are lucky enough to get them made, they will want the very protection we're fighting for.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (499213)
Posted by ***Galvatron*** on December 9th, 2007 @ 5:14pm CST
Mega Zarak wrote:
***Galvatron*** wrote:If people aren't going to the theaters because of poorly written scripts then why would they want to download the same crappy movies at home? that makes no sense to me. If they've already determined that it's not worth watching in the theaters then sitting in front of a screen which most peoples are still much smaller than their tv sets certainly isn't much more of an incentive to me not to mention most peoples crappy chairs in front of their pc's. You lose the scope of a lot of movies or tv shows watching them that way which is why I love my 50" HD 1080dpi big screen tv, it's made a world of difference to me in detail that I see not only in the picture size but clarity and detail and better sound too.
Samsung, the same people that made my 50" tv now have a 73" tv set I think for not much more than what I paid for this one and I really want to get it in a year or less but I think that is more than big enough for a long time to come if not forever lol.

People make excuses of illegally downloading movies because theaters suck, I say they are just cheap and lazy and think they have to "stick it to the man" some how.

If all the theaters suck what's their excuse to justify the piracy of music then?


Okay no one said anything about illegal downloads. I have never done that. When I said studios are starting to embrace the idea I assumed you knew I meant legal downloads.

And I suggest you read my posts above defending big business before you assume I am the type to stick it to that man. Quite the opposite.

BTW which model Samsung do you have? It sounds like we have the same one. I have mine hooked up to a media center PC, kinda helps to avoid the crappy PC chair thing huh? :grin:


I made no assumptions about you specifically, your name or anyone elses wasn't mentioned so please don't make assumptions about my replies as you were making the same accusations against Burn.
I made a reply to the subject matter not to your character.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (499243)
Posted by Sonray on December 9th, 2007 @ 5:34pm CST
I find it hard to believe that this is the REAL Bob Orci (the typos kinda give it away) but if you are, pleased to meet you.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (499313)
Posted by ***Galvatron*** on December 9th, 2007 @ 6:21pm CST
Sonray wrote:
***Galvatron*** wrote:If people aren't going to the theaters because of poorly written scripts then why would they want to download the same crappy movies at home? that makes no sense to me. If they've already determined that it's not worth watching in the theaters then sitting in front of a screen which most peoples are still much smaller than their tv sets certainly isn't much more of an incentive to me not to mention most peoples crappy chairs in front of their pc's. You lose the scope of a lot of movies or tv shows watching them that way which is why I love my 50" HD 1080dpi big screen tv, it's made a world of difference to me in detail that I see not only in the picture size but clarity and detail and better sound too.
Samsung, the same people that made my 50" tv now have a 73" tv set I think for not much more than what I paid for this one and I really want to get it in a year or less but I think that is more than big enough for a long time to come if not forever lol.

People make excuses of illegally downloading movies because theaters suck, I say they are just cheap and lazy and think they have to "stick it to the man" some how.

If all the theaters suck what's their excuse to justify the piracy of music then?


Heres the reason: Going to the theater costs money, a small fortune if you live in the UK. downloading the film to your PC doesnt cost anything.


That's the excuse, not a reason to me. Are you saying they don't have the right to get paid to view the movie in their own theaters then ?
I'd have to ask what is your profession then and does that mean I get to use those services and then not pay for them?
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (499338)
Posted by Sonray on December 9th, 2007 @ 6:36pm CST
***Galvatron*** wrote:
Sonray wrote:
***Galvatron*** wrote:If people aren't going to the theaters because of poorly written scripts then why would they want to download the same crappy movies at home? that makes no sense to me. If they've already determined that it's not worth watching in the theaters then sitting in front of a screen which most peoples are still much smaller than their tv sets certainly isn't much more of an incentive to me not to mention most peoples crappy chairs in front of their pc's. You lose the scope of a lot of movies or tv shows watching them that way which is why I love my 50" HD 1080dpi big screen tv, it's made a world of difference to me in detail that I see not only in the picture size but clarity and detail and better sound too.
Samsung, the same people that made my 50" tv now have a 73" tv set I think for not much more than what I paid for this one and I really want to get it in a year or less but I think that is more than big enough for a long time to come if not forever lol.

People make excuses of illegally downloading movies because theaters suck, I say they are just cheap and lazy and think they have to "stick it to the man" some how.

If all the theaters suck what's their excuse to justify the piracy of music then?


Heres the reason: Going to the theater costs money, a small fortune if you live in the UK. downloading the film to your PC doesnt cost anything.


That's the excuse, not a reason to me. Are you saying they don't have the right to get paid to view the movie in their own theaters then ?
I'd have to ask what is your profession then and does that mean I get to use those services and then not pay for them?


I thought you was questioning the reason why people download pirate copies instead of going to the cinema, and i was giving the answer.

And i dont have a profession anyway. :P
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (499352)
Posted by ***Galvatron*** on December 9th, 2007 @ 6:46pm CST
Sonray wrote:
***Galvatron*** wrote:
Sonray wrote:
***Galvatron*** wrote:If people aren't going to the theaters because of poorly written scripts then why would they want to download the same crappy movies at home? that makes no sense to me. If they've already determined that it's not worth watching in the theaters then sitting in front of a screen which most peoples are still much smaller than their tv sets certainly isn't much more of an incentive to me not to mention most peoples crappy chairs in front of their pc's. You lose the scope of a lot of movies or tv shows watching them that way which is why I love my 50" HD 1080dpi big screen tv, it's made a world of difference to me in detail that I see not only in the picture size but clarity and detail and better sound too.
Samsung, the same people that made my 50" tv now have a 73" tv set I think for not much more than what I paid for this one and I really want to get it in a year or less but I think that is more than big enough for a long time to come if not forever lol.

People make excuses of illegally downloading movies because theaters suck, I say they are just cheap and lazy and think they have to "stick it to the man" some how.

If all the theaters suck what's their excuse to justify the piracy of music then?


Heres the reason: Going to the theater costs money, a small fortune if you live in the UK. downloading the film to your PC doesnt cost anything.


That's the excuse, not a reason to me. Are you saying they don't have the right to get paid to view the movie in their own theaters then ?
I'd have to ask what is your profession then and does that mean I get to use those services and then not pay for them?


I thought you was questioning the reason why people download pirate copies instead of going to the cinema, and i was giving the answer.

And i dont have a profession anyway. :P


When you do let everyone know how it feels if someone steals your ideas,services or cold hard money out of a register, it's all pretty much the same but the tax man won't care every April 14th when he wants his share here in the usa nor will the landlords at the beginning of every month. :P
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (499485)
Posted by Mega Zarak on December 9th, 2007 @ 8:16pm CST
***Galvatron*** wrote:
Mega Zarak wrote:
***Galvatron*** wrote:If people aren't going to the theaters because of poorly written scripts then why would they want to download the same crappy movies at home? that makes no sense to me. If they've already determined that it's not worth watching in the theaters then sitting in front of a screen which most peoples are still much smaller than their tv sets certainly isn't much more of an incentive to me not to mention most peoples crappy chairs in front of their pc's. You lose the scope of a lot of movies or tv shows watching them that way which is why I love my 50" HD 1080dpi big screen tv, it's made a world of difference to me in detail that I see not only in the picture size but clarity and detail and better sound too.
Samsung, the same people that made my 50" tv now have a 73" tv set I think for not much more than what I paid for this one and I really want to get it in a year or less but I think that is more than big enough for a long time to come if not forever lol.

People make excuses of illegally downloading movies because theaters suck, I say they are just cheap and lazy and think they have to "stick it to the man" some how.

If all the theaters suck what's their excuse to justify the piracy of music then?


Okay no one said anything about illegal downloads. I have never done that. When I said studios are starting to embrace the idea I assumed you knew I meant legal downloads.

And I suggest you read my posts above defending big business before you assume I am the type to stick it to that man. Quite the opposite.

BTW which model Samsung do you have? It sounds like we have the same one. I have mine hooked up to a media center PC, kinda helps to avoid the crappy PC chair thing huh? :grin:


I made no assumptions about you specifically, your name or anyone elses wasn't mentioned so please don't make assumptions about my replies as you were making the same accusations against Burn.
I made a reply to the subject matter not to your character.


Maybe you misunderstand me. I don't think you or Burn were pointing me out. I have no issue with anyone here or their opinions. I never thought you were attacking my character. The only time I could be accused is the stick it portion above. I'll take the fire on that.
I'm not trying to start anything, I was just speaking my side. It's called a discussion, but in the future I'll be sure to be very clear so everyone is happy.
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (499783)
Posted by Burn on December 10th, 2007 @ 12:14am CST
Mega Zarak wrote:in the future I'll be sure to be very clear so everyone is happy.


Good luck on trying to achieve THAT in the movie forum! :P
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (500099)
Posted by ***Galvatron*** on December 10th, 2007 @ 8:33am CST
Mega Zarak wrote:
***Galvatron*** wrote:
Mega Zarak wrote:
***Galvatron*** wrote:If people aren't going to the theaters because of poorly written scripts then why would they want to download the same crappy movies at home? that makes no sense to me. If they've already determined that it's not worth watching in the theaters then sitting in front of a screen which most peoples are still much smaller than their tv sets certainly isn't much more of an incentive to me not to mention most peoples crappy chairs in front of their pc's. You lose the scope of a lot of movies or tv shows watching them that way which is why I love my 50" HD 1080dpi big screen tv, it's made a world of difference to me in detail that I see not only in the picture size but clarity and detail and better sound too.
Samsung, the same people that made my 50" tv now have a 73" tv set I think for not much more than what I paid for this one and I really want to get it in a year or less but I think that is more than big enough for a long time to come if not forever lol.

People make excuses of illegally downloading movies because theaters suck, I say they are just cheap and lazy and think they have to "stick it to the man" some how.

If all the theaters suck what's their excuse to justify the piracy of music then?


Okay no one said anything about illegal downloads. I have never done that. When I said studios are starting to embrace the idea I assumed you knew I meant legal downloads.

And I suggest you read my posts above defending big business before you assume I am the type to stick it to that man. Quite the opposite.

BTW which model Samsung do you have? It sounds like we have the same one. I have mine hooked up to a media center PC, kinda helps to avoid the crappy PC chair thing huh? :grin:


I made no assumptions about you specifically, your name or anyone elses wasn't mentioned so please don't make assumptions about my replies as you were making the same accusations against Burn.
I made a reply to the subject matter not to your character.


Maybe you misunderstand me. I don't think you or Burn were pointing me out. I have no issue with anyone here or their opinions. I never thought you were attacking my character. The only time I could be accused is the stick it portion above. I'll take the fire on that.
I'm not trying to start anything, I was just speaking my side. It's called a discussion, but in the future I'll be sure to be very clear so everyone is happy.


"And I suggest you read my posts above defending big business before you assume I am the type to stick it to that man. Quite the opposite."

When you do mention me specifically yes, that is what the big difference is here so no I did not misunderstand you but rather the reverse as I was speaking my side that had nothing to do with you specifically and only the topic matter at hand but lets try and move on now ok and get back to the subject ?
Re: Roberto Orci on Current Writing Status Transformers II (500205)
Posted by Mega Zarak on December 10th, 2007 @ 10:06am CST
Burn wrote:
Mega Zarak wrote:in the future I'll be sure to be very clear so everyone is happy.


Good luck on trying to achieve THAT in the movie forum! :P


Yea apparently I excel in ticking people off. No biggie. Back on subject after reading the terms of the strike I agree they are getting shafted. BUT I still would like to see some new blood come in. I think thats what the Orci post mentioned as well. If that really is him no offense meant, I don't have a problem with the movie.

Everybody smile. :grin:
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #102 - Hidden Mickeys
Twincast / Podcast #102:
"Hidden Mickeys"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 5th, 2014