This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

'Decepticons, Rise Up!' Transformers Ongoing #7 Reviewed

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: 'Decepticons, Rise Up!' Transformers Ongoing #7 Reviewed

Postby Calvatron » Fri May 28, 2010 8:10 am

Supreme Convoy wrote:Solid issue. As Tigertracks pointed out, I'm digging the Decepticon's juxtaposition to the Autobots. And I originally thought the Autobots had it bad. :shock:

Of course, Starscream is spot on. Easily my favorite part of the issue.

No love for Don's Megatron cover? I like his new style but I would've imagine fans would jump for joy for his "classic" take.

I assumed the shadow/camouflage was really rust.

Darth Bombshell wrote:
Prime Evil wrote:I just wish I knew what the heck is up with the TF editor over there at IDW.

He quit as TF editor in order to do their new Dungeons and Dragons book, thus effectively ending whatever chance this thing had of staying consistent.

Even though Denton is listed as Associate Editor, Andy Schmidt is still the main editor of Transformers. He's still on board.

It's a nice cover (the one i have cause i'm on a pull list), but to be honest I've really been enjoying the Wildman covers (except BB and Hot Rod) this year. Think i'll have to head into manhatten and pick up a copy of his Megatron. A lot of his more recent work has left me feeling something lacking, but these covers have been rather good. I really want to pick up this one and the Prime cover on ebay once i have some extra cash.
Calvatron
Fuzor
News Credits: 1

Postby Chaoslock » Fri May 28, 2010 6:40 pm

Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
I like the new artstyle, and prefer this to Don's work, this reminds me of the G2 comics (well, Su's new art has more wide spaces, but still) The camouflage-shadows are weird, but cool.

As for the writing: so, we got a Season 3-state Decepticon army with all their commanders except Megatron, and the whole army can't do anything... #-o -at least in Season 3, the Decepticon army had an excuse with Starscream, Megatron and possibly Shockwave gone, and the autobots in full power locking thme on Char, but this is pathetic.
Also, Primes comment to gen. Witwicky: "Your bravery made the defeat of the Decepticons possible..." :SICK: I wonder if Costa've read at least AHM before he started to write.

Overall:
Art: 8/10
Writing: 5/10
GENERATION 1: THE EPIC ORIGINS! -Hasbro

"Autobots, Buster Witwicky killed Primus. Kill on sight!" - broadcast from Urban Dead

Psychout wrote:Never, ever take the internet seriously, especially not when its on a website dedicated to giant cartoon robots from outer space.
Chaoslock
Faction Commander
News Credits: 7
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby sabrigami » Sun May 30, 2010 11:17 am

Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
I'm honestly becoming fed up with the ongoing. There is no story going on. How many more issues will it be before something actually happens? Even then, what ever does happen will be pretty crappy. IDW needs go get a new writer for the ongoing. At least Ironhide is kinda okay for know. Guess I'll just occupy my time with reading the marvel/uk stuff for know. It's kinda sad that I just can't get into this, I'm usually so easy to please...
sabrigami
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Skill: 8

Postby The Legend » Sun May 30, 2010 1:37 pm

sabrigami wrote:I'm honestly becoming fed up with the ongoing. There is no story going on. How many more issues will it be before something actually happens? Even then, what ever does happen will be pretty crappy. IDW needs go get a new writer for the ongoing. At least Ironhide is kinda okay for know. Guess I'll just occupy my time with reading the marvel/uk stuff for know. It's kinda sad that I just can't get into this, I'm usually so easy to please...

I loathe to say it but I agree, pacing with IDW is a real problem. I don't think the team realises this is a monthly series and the quicker you can tell a story the better. This arc could have been told in 3-4 issues, AHM could have been whittled down to 6-8. When Marvel was releasing a weekly series 6 issues could tell around 2-3 decent stories with a back up strip in each, IDW are just not making the most of what they have. I really can't recall the last time I was excited about reading the next issue instead of thinking 'this has to pick up next issue'. Give us a few 2-3 issue arcs to keep our interest IDW, surely that's possible.
The Legend
Headmaster Jr

Postby Chaoslock » Sun May 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
sabrigami wrote:I'm honestly becoming fed up with the ongoing. There is no story going on. How many more issues will it be before something actually happens? Even then, what ever does happen will be pretty crappy. IDW needs go get a new writer for the ongoing. At least Ironhide is kinda okay for know. Guess I'll just occupy my time with reading the marvel/uk stuff for know. It's kinda sad that I just can't get into this, I'm usually so easy to please...

Seconded. When I've read the 5-page preview, I've thinked about going to the comic shop to renew my preorder for the ongoing too, but after I've read the whole issue, I've decided to abandon the idea. When something will actually happen, I'll backorder the series in TPBs.
GENERATION 1: THE EPIC ORIGINS! -Hasbro

"Autobots, Buster Witwicky killed Primus. Kill on sight!" - broadcast from Urban Dead

Psychout wrote:Never, ever take the internet seriously, especially not when its on a website dedicated to giant cartoon robots from outer space.
Chaoslock
Faction Commander
News Credits: 7
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity

Postby JeffX » Sun May 30, 2010 3:30 pm

Hmm, my post disappeared.

Anyways I haven't impressed with ongoing yet. I missed the first few issues, and was lost when I picked up the last one. This last issue could have been much better, and it seems to be doing a slow build. I just wish they'd get there.
JeffX
Micromaster

Postby DTR69 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:24 am

Prime Evil wrote:Man, all this gripe about artistic styles. I can tell A LOT of you weren't around in the early 90's when artist styles were NOT part of a house style. Sad that people can't appreciate different looks. I did NOT like Don's stuff, but never did I ever say he should change. I remember reading the X-Men's Xtinction Agenda and we had Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, and Jon Bogdanove. The three artist could not be more different. And I read it for the STORY. I love Jim's work, getting used to Rob's and wasn't a fan of Jon's, but I still read it and loved the story.

I say to EJ, keep on doing what you're doing. It's so much easier for people to critic then do themselves. I know my friends in high school changed styles often due to the fact that they either got bored with a look or just wanted to progress their style.

I'm kool with change in styles, it's the reinvention of the whole form then going back to another form that I think is wrong. They should of all sat down and wroked it out, if the whole forms were going to be changed, the the other artists should of comtinued with the forms but in there own style. There are 2 aspects going on here. It's like tthey used g1 forms then beast wars then back to g1, it's more drastic than an artists take on a form, these forms are totaly reinvented.

Off topic, so your a junglist are you? I'm a drum n bass head myself. I see you're not from the UK, so do you listen to home grown stuff or UK?
DTR69
Fuzor

Postby Prime Evil » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 am

Motto: "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
DTR69 wrote:
Prime Evil wrote:Man, all this gripe about artistic styles. I can tell A LOT of you weren't around in the early 90's when artist styles were NOT part of a house style. Sad that people can't appreciate different looks. I did NOT like Don's stuff, but never did I ever say he should change. I remember reading the X-Men's Xtinction Agenda and we had Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, and Jon Bogdanove. The three artist could not be more different. And I read it for the STORY. I love Jim's work, getting used to Rob's and wasn't a fan of Jon's, but I still read it and loved the story.

I say to EJ, keep on doing what you're doing. It's so much easier for people to critic then do themselves. I know my friends in high school changed styles often due to the fact that they either got bored with a look or just wanted to progress their style.

I'm kool with change in styles, it's the reinvention of the whole form then going back to another form that I think is wrong. They should of all sat down and wroked it out, if the whole forms were going to be changed, the the other artists should of comtinued with the forms but in there own style. There are 2 aspects going on here. It's like tthey used g1 forms then beast wars then back to g1, it's more drastic than an artists take on a form, these forms are totaly reinvented.

Off topic, so your a junglist are you? I'm a drum n bass head myself. I see you're not from the UK, so do you listen to home grown stuff or UK?

Sent ya a PM fellow bass head. I didn't want to completely derail this thread, cause I can go on and on about music! ;)
facebook
PSN:Kalibr3Fyre
Transfandom's resident Junglist
Botcon Twitter re: Botcon 2012, "This set is not TFA" :D

Fans Project- Highly Recommend any and all products
Hasbro- Need more Generations toys peas
HeadRobots- Awesome, looking fwd to more good products
Perfect Effect- OK, looking fwd to more lil bots.
Prime Evil
Godmaster
News Credits: 23
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Courage: 10

Postby The Legend » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:05 pm

I just read the issue and I have another gripe. Why kill off 2 characters this issue for pretty much no reason? Both could have been replaced by generics or new characters but both were just killed off in a throw away fashion. This limits future writers who may want to feature either of these characters which I would have enjoyed reading about. :-(
The Legend
Headmaster Jr

Postby Tigertrack » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:20 am

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
The Legend wrote:I just read the issue and I have another gripe. Why kill off 2 characters this issue for pretty much no reason? Both could have been replaced by generics or new characters but both were just killed off in a throw away fashion. This limits future writers who may want to feature either of these characters which I would have enjoyed reading about. :-(

WE'll have yet another revamp by then... not that I am a pessimist or anything. :D
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Cyberstrike » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:43 am

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
Darth Bombshell wrote:Pop quiz, folks: what do Del Rey/Lucas Books and IDW have in common?

Answer: Both have put out products this week that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they don't give a flying fignut about their respective fanbases.

REAL Answer: Both have annoying asses in their respective fanbases that all they do is whine, whine, whine, and whine some more about every stupid little thing.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 5

Previous

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K43 HOT ROD Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core 2022 New 220329"
WFC-K43 HOT ROD Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MAGNEOUS Transformers Legacy United Deluxe Class Infernac Hasbro 2024 New"
MAGNEOUS Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME + BUMBLEBEE Transformers Legacy Core Class G1 Trailer 2023 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME + BU ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CRANKCASE Transformers Legacy Deluxe Class Hasbro 2022 New **IN-STOCK**"
CRANKCASE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SILVERSTREAK Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Legacy Hasbro 2022 New"
SILVERSTREAK Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK Transformers Legacy Evolution Core G1 Dinobots Volcanicus 2023 New"
NEW!
GRIMLOCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUZZSAW Transformers Legacy Deluxe Beast Wars Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
BUZZSAW Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K38 RED ALERT Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Walgreens 2021 New"
WFC-K38 RED ALERT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K32 PIPES Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
WFC-K32 PIPES Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERTRON Transformers Legacy United Voyager Class Prime Hasbro 2024 New"
THUNDERTRON Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-05 RATTRAP + TERRORSAUR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
NEW!
BWVS-05 RATTRAP + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NIGHTPROWLER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Beast Wars Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
NIGHTPROWLER Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K10 MEGATRON Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Leader Beast Wars 2021 New"
WFC-K10 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ANIMATED BUMBLEBEE Transformers Legacy United Deluxe Class Hasbro 2024 New"
ANIMATED BUMBLEBEE ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Xort and Highbrow" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Class Movie 1 Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON