Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster

Transformers News: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster

Tuesday, May 29th, 2007 8:29PM CDT

Category: Movie News
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 7,022

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The official adaptation of the Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster was released today at bookstores nationwide. Make sure you stop by your favorite book retailer to grab your copy or you can order it online at stores like Amazon.com. If you've already got the book or if you just want to read some juicy spoilers regarding the movie, please stop by the Energon Pub to discuss what you thought of the adaptation.
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141156)
Posted by Seibertron on May 29th, 2007 @ 8:38pm CDT
Book was officially released today ... added it as a news story: http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=10478
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141158)
Posted by Sentinel Pax on May 29th, 2007 @ 8:39pm CDT
Neko wrote:
Sunstar wrote:Highlight

Sorry but had to laugh when Ironhide made remark about the "vermin" problem (the dog) and how he suggested eliminating sam's parents "painlessly"




lol. I liked that part too.

"Sorry-he has this male dominance thing." :lol:


Haha...who says the male dominance thing, because I find that pretty funny.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141170)
Posted by Roboto750 on May 29th, 2007 @ 8:47pm CDT
I've said it once, I'll say it again... this was a dumb decision to release the book (and soon comic adaption) before the movie comes out! Talk about killing the surprises of the movie!

Anyway, thanks go out to everyone who has held back spoilers! ;)^ I really appreciate it! Let's just hope no one's an a-hole and ruins things for those of us who are waiting for the movie. I really don't want to have to abandoned the board until I see the movie at Botcon.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141174)
Posted by Wheeljack35 on May 29th, 2007 @ 8:54pm CDT
I was going to pick it it up today at Walmart but they didn't have it out

I wonder if there following the June 2nd date for the book also?
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141182)
Posted by guara on May 29th, 2007 @ 9:00pm CDT
With so much weirdness in the names (Brawl is confirmed, no? We have toy packagings already!), and the similarity to Prime Directive, I hope dear Alan Dean Foster had got the wrong sources.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141192)
Posted by Lapse Of Reason on May 29th, 2007 @ 9:13pm CDT
I only read a few posts because I don't want to ruin anything. This story was written to be a film, so that is how I want to experience it the first time. Preferably at Botcon with many other TF fans.

I did read and enjoy the prequel book.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141215)
Posted by Nemesis_Apoc on May 29th, 2007 @ 9:32pm CDT
i've had it since last friday, but i haven't read it yet. i'm thinking about reading it with all the G1 incarnations of these characters in my head at the time, going to see the movie, and noting the differences
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141221)
Posted by Retardicon on May 29th, 2007 @ 9:42pm CDT
How does something like the wrong names make it into the novelization? Didn't anybody think that maybe they should update the authors of there product? Or did the editor just say "F@ck it."

Thats really sad, even for a movie novelization.

I was looking forward to the book, too.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141237)
Posted by i_amtrunks on May 29th, 2007 @ 9:53pm CDT
I didnt mind the prequel book. I will end up buying this as well, once I find it, but I may hold off on reading it until I see the movie. I read the book, then saw the movie for Star Wars Ep2, and it kinda made the film look worse than it was.

Although Sunstar's spoilers may have already ruined it for me! ;P
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141260)
Posted by Ironhidensh on May 29th, 2007 @ 10:11pm CDT
Roboto750 wrote:I've said it once, I'll say it again... this was a dumb decision to release the book (and soon comic adaption) before the movie comes out! Talk about killing the surprises of the movie!

Anyway, thanks go out to everyone who has held back spoilers! ;)^ I really appreciate it! Let's just hope no one's an a-hole and ruins things for those of us who are waiting for the movie. I really don't want to have to abandoned the board until I see the movie at Botcon.


You'd think you'd be used to it, they do it with every single novelization of every single movie ever to get a novelization.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141264)
Posted by Blitzwing the warrior on May 29th, 2007 @ 10:24pm CDT
Roboto750 wrote:I've said it once, I'll say it again... this was a dumb decision to release the book (and soon comic adaption) before the movie comes out! Talk about killing the surprises of the movie


Meh, Lucas did they same thing with Episode 3. The novel and game came out a week prior to the movie release. However there wasnt really anything to spoil (Hard to belive a kid in school wanted me to stop talking about it because he didnt want the movie spoiled for him) (And nobody saw the Anakin into Darth Vader part coming)
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141274)
Posted by Ninja Sixshot on May 29th, 2007 @ 10:31pm CDT
jeez. i should go to my book store to see if they have it.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141287)
Posted by Dr Buffalo on May 29th, 2007 @ 10:52pm CDT
I read it today at Borders. Skipped right to the end and found it really good.
Starscream's actions at the end of the book will leave G1 fans very nostalgia-y.
And beleive me if that ending doesn't set up a sequel than nothing does.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141316)
Posted by Roboto750 on May 29th, 2007 @ 11:20pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:
Roboto750 wrote:I've said it once, I'll say it again... this was a dumb decision to release the book (and soon comic adaption) before the movie comes out! Talk about killing the surprises of the movie!

Anyway, thanks go out to everyone who has held back spoilers! ;)^ I really appreciate it! Let's just hope no one's an a-hole and ruins things for those of us who are waiting for the movie. I really don't want to have to abandoned the board until I see the movie at Botcon.


You'd think you'd be used to it, they do it with every single novelization of every single movie ever to get a novelization.


I knew I would get this reply. Anyway, yes, I know it happens all the time, but it doesn't change the fact that I feel it's poor marketing and that it pisses me off royally!
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141372)
Posted by skywarp-2 on May 30th, 2007 @ 12:51am CDT
Neko wrote:Picked this up as well today. I'm well into it at the 60-80 page marker and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

As far as I can tell the story is the same as the leaked script up to this point. Dialogue varies, certain aspects of the scenes are different, but altogether relativly the same.

I'll see about posting a review (Spoiler and non spoiler versions if I have time) sometime this week.



your so awesome!! i love this forum!! :D
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141439)
Posted by Leonardo on May 30th, 2007 @ 2:23am CDT
Has anyone seen either of these books in the UK? Ghosts of Yesterday is impossible to find.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141454)
Posted by praxedes on May 30th, 2007 @ 2:48am CDT
I got a copy of Ghosts.. in cheltenham waterstones yesterday, the only one they had. Haven't seen it anywhere else though
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141458)
Posted by Leonardo on May 30th, 2007 @ 2:56am CDT
Maybe they don't think it will sell.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141683)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on May 30th, 2007 @ 7:40am CDT
I have been looking for a new book that isn't about vampires.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141779)
Posted by Archanubis on May 30th, 2007 @ 9:39am CDT
I think I'll hold off until A) I find the prequel novel in the library and read that and B) Watch the movie.

Sunstar, I hope you are being your usually silly self. ;)

Just don't tell me if Blackout and/or Brawl bite the dust. They are two of the coolest looking characters they've created for this film and I'll be rather... disappointed if they're killed off. Besides, I'd rather find out for myself rather than have someone tell me.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141810)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on May 30th, 2007 @ 10:16am CDT
Here's a full list of spoilers, courtesy of SuperHeroHype.com. I have no idea whether or not something along these lines has already been posted (haven't gone through the thread), nor will I mention that this is all spolierish (I think after three pages that point's been very well established.)

THE BEGINNING / THE END:

- There's no Cybertron scenes from what I can tell, but it's entirely possible given the early screening reports. It opens with a description of the Allspark, so maybe Optimus narrates the history/opening. The discovery of Megatron by Sam's great-great grandfather is still there.

- THE ENDING. I skipped to the end, and it does end with Optimus going onto a mountain and sending out a signal/message of hope to the remaining Autobots around the galaxy indicating they have found a new home on Earth. It's not Everest, as the script had, but it's almost exactly word for word the same.

ODDS AND ENDS

* How Bumblebee ended up on the used car lot.
-- Bumblebee is trailing Sam. Makes sense given his infiltration role in the IDW comic line which the film seems to take a lot of tone from.
* Blackout's attack on the base. The electronic screech is basically a sped up modem connect handshake. A techie explains this, which makes sense, given that they're trying to interface with our technology and that's probably the slowest speed the Decepticons can manage.
* Tyrese & Josh's group are the only survivors of Blackout's attack of the base. Epps captures a thermal image of Blackout, obtaining proof of the Decepticon's presence on Earth. Blackout wiped out the base for the sole purpose of keeping his appearance secret. Scorponok was ejected to track down the humans who have this evidence.
* Frenzy is phase II of the Decepticon's attempt at tracking down the location of Megatron. From the prequel novel, the Decepticons find out about Project Megaman and Sector Seven. Blackout's hacking attempt was interrupted when someone physically severs the network connection. Frenzy manages to finally obtain the file, killing three of the President's men.
* Y'know how the original script had a lot of cutesy nods to the phrase "more than meets the eye"? So far, there's only been one, and it made sense without being forced. Basically, when Sam gives Mikala a ride home, and she ends up spilling the beans about being a car geek, she says something like, "You think I'm shallow?" and Sam says, "Nah, I think there's more to you than meets the eye."
* The novelization reads a lot easier than the prequel novel. In so far as the characters "feel" like normal characters instead of cliched stand-ins. Not many G1 nods offhand, although, when Bernie Mac asks where the Camaro came from, the mechanic says maybe it was dropped off by that 18 wheeler that came by last week.
* 100 pages in, Bumblebee makes his move to escape, likely to report to Optimus that he found the relative of the guy who originally found the All Spark. Sam calls 911 since he just saw his $4000 car being stolen. He chases BB on his bike, while on the phone with 911. He sees BB transform and leap off. 911 doesn't believe him. BB must have noticed as he returns before the authorites arrive. It seems as if he's doing everything he can to maintain cover.
* The novel is 291 pages. I may scan in the last chapter/page if anyone requires proof.
* There may be some last minute changes, as the All Spark is referred to as the Energon Cube, and Brawl as Devastator.
* Sam kicks Frenzy, who later rescans the contents of Mikala's purse and takes the form of her Sidekick.
* The three comets in the trailer? Those are the Autobots (Ironhide, Optimus, Ratchet) - Ratchet takes his form from an emergency vehicle that arrives on the scene of the meteroid crash. Ironhide takes his form from a pickup truck in the driveway next to the pool where he crashed.
* Possible change : When Sam says "superadvanced, probably Japanese" in the trailer, the novel has him saying this in reference to Bumblebee. It's entirely possible this is how the trailer was edited, however.
* Optimus generates a 3d hologram of what Cybertron looks like. Lots of metal, lots of destruction, lots of decapitated 'bots, etc. A war ravaged place it looks like.
* Gah. Frenzy is in Mikala's purse when Sam and Mikala are at Sam's house looking for the specs. Eerie. Lots of humor though to make up for it. Autobots trying to understand our words is pretty fun. ('Did you look within the oblong clothing storage device?' 'Perhaps it's beneath the four point floor sheath.')
* Possible change: Jazz is the one who falls into the wires at Sam's house, while the screenings indicate this is Ratchet.
* Optimus never says "My bad." This is all Sam, when his dad is mad at him showing up late, having not done his chores.
* Possible change: Latest trailer has Sector Seven interviewing Sam saying "Your car.. TRANSFORMED?!" and Mikala says "That'd be crazy." No mention of transforming by SS agent.
* Mikala learned about cars from her dad, who's up for parole for Grand Theft Auto.
* Jazz seems to have the ability to magnetize his hands. He grabs Sector Seven's weapons that way.
* Cool exchange between Autobots:

Quote:
Jazz's response took nanoseconds, the sonic alien equivalent of a single Chinese glyph. "They have Bumblebee!"

"Bumblebee is a brave soldier who understands and accepts the risks of our war," Optimus replied solemnly. Sonics gave way to common English. "For the sake of practice and gaining familiarity with idiom, we should speak now in the language of our new home."

"Our new home?" Ratchet was clearly bemused even as he complied with the directive.

Optimus turned to regard his colleague. "I have had sufficient time to ponder all possible ramifications of a multiplicity of actions, and what I have decided is this: if we return the Cube to Cybertron, our war will continue. I postulate eventual victory, but not for a minimum of another thousand years. We have been fighting so long, I can remember nothing else." With a sweep of one great arm he took in their surroundings: quiet, tranquil, and at peace, albeit unsettlingly organic. "The opportunity to live, to exist in a state of being other than perpetual combat, lies here, on this world. The madness ends today."

"But how?" Jazz understandably wanted to know.

Optimus proceeded to reveal that he had indeed thought out situation in depth. "When we reach the Cube, I will join it with my spark."

Ratchet was openly appalled. "But an energy resurgence of that magnitude will destroy you both!"

"I will not allow the humans to become a casualty of our war," their leader declared firml. "That is not our way. If we have battled so long for naught else, we have fought for that much. It is an immediately achieveable goal. To fight to preserve life, however different it may be from our own." He hesitated for a split second. "That is a belief worth dying for."

One by one his counterparts closed in around him. They transformed together, reasserting the aboriginal mechanical forms they had adopted in order to be able to conceal themselves among the humans. Optimus studied his companions. Though still machines, they looked wholly terrestrial. What would be an appropriate indiginous designation for bots of this kind? Conscious of his ow directive to utilize local language and idioms wherever possible, he followed through as he voiced his next command.

"Autobots -- roll out."
* When Sector Seven picks up Sam and Mikala, Frenzy accompanies them in her purse. SS gathers all the people who have interacted with the Transformers (Tyrese/Duhamel's group; Blonde techie; Sam) now that they know there's an impending invasion in the hopes of finding out more information about them.
* The All Spark animates someone's cell phone, which goes insane and has to be put down.
* Frenzy escapes in the dam, and wrecks havoc, causing Megatron to start to defrost. Starscream and gang are on the way. The proverbial fan is about to get hit with excrement. Duhamel takes Sam and the Cube to where Bumblebee is, to get advice on what to do.
* Megatron's first words? "INSECTS."
* Interesting scene:

Quote:
Bumblebee reached the Cube. For an instant he hesitated and simply stared. The artifact before him was, after all, the original source of all life energy for his kind.

It was not quote like a human confronting God. More akin, Mikala found herself thinking as she looked on, to a sentient laptop being offered a battery that would never run down.
* Bumbleee takes the Cube, and they leave the dam. Megatron awakes, transforms and flies off in alien jet form to meet with Starscream who is waiting outside.
* Bumblebee and Sector Seven link up with Optimus, Ratchet and gang on the freeway. Bonecrusher and Barricade show up. Bonecrusher in vehicle form is scooping vehicles up and tossing them out of the way, before transforming and blading his way up the road. Optimus transforms to stop him as we see in the trailer. Barricade leaps on Optimus' back. Optimus blasts Bonecrusher and handily thrashes Barricade against a freeway pillar. Remaining Decepticons fall back to re-evaluate their strategy.
* They're heading into the city to call in an air strike. They split up. Frenzy interrupts Keller and Magie (techie). Fight ensues. Feels Terminator-ish. She runs out of shotgun ammo, ends up ducking as one of Frenzy's discs end up decapitating Frenzy.
* Air strike in bound. F22 Raptor circling city. Every TF fan should see this one coming. Epps radios F22, which ignores them. Ironhide knows something's up and orders Jazz and Bumblebee into flanking positions as the jet launches missles at them. Bumblebee gets torn in half as a result of the attack, trying to defend humans. He tosses a car up in front of the missle.
* All Spark falls to the ground, triggering a massive shockwave that causes all the electronic devices in the area to come to life. Scene in a shopping center indicates a cart piled high with gaming consoles sprouts arms and tries to free itself from its box. Flat screen tvs sprout legs, stereos stumble about aimlessly. At a nearby gun shop a rifle begins to sprout tendrils and rise but collapses as the wave dissipates.
* Brawl and Blackout arrive on the scene. Jazz jumps on Brawl's back before he can shoot Sam and Mikala. Ratchet and Ironhide show up and start bashing on Brawl.
* Megatron sends out a massive pulse blast and knocks Jazz to the ground before ripping him open and taking his spark.
* Optimus and Megatron lock eyes, as Megatron transforms into a jet. Optimus leaps up onto Megatron dragging him to the ground. They transform and begin to battle.
* Bumblebee drags himself to the cube, and begs Sam to go, and he naturally refuses. "Ggggooooo Ssssammmm..." Ironhide provides cover for Sam as Starscream lands in the street (as seen in the trailer) Blackout tries to stomp on Sam.
* Fun quote for everyone:

Quote:
Far down the street the battle of the titans continued unabated. Stepping back, Megatron's arms morphed into an enormous piece of alien artillery. The pulse blast they produced sent the stunned Optimus hurtling backward the length of a full city block.
* Sam goes to the roof on Epps urging. He's called in Blackhawks to rescue him and the All Spark. Just as Sam is about to be rescued, Starscream blows up the chopper.
* Mikala helps Bumblebee to fight. He's firing at Brawl in the trailer.
* Barricade is distracted by a two prong attack and gets destroyed by humans.
* Megatron confronts Sam with his arm canon on the rooftops. Optimus grabs him and they fall to the ground with Megatron in pursuit.
* Optimus rolls and fires at Megatron, his arm morphing into his gun. He digs his legs into the side of the building to slow his fall.
* On the ground, Optimus realizes Sam was ready to give his life to protect the All Spark. Megatron leans in claming the cube as his own. Optimus does leg sweep, knocking Megatron backwards. He begs Sam to aim the cube at his spark. He's ready to sacrifice himself to stop Megatron. Sam starts running up Optimus, and at the last minute, aims for Megatron who stumbles, sparks all over and falls.
* Starscream shrieks and takes off into the sky to escape.
* Optimus says Megatron gave him no choice.

Quote:
"You left me no choice ... Brother. For the Energon to be dealt with, one of us had to die. I was willing for it to be me." He pivoted. "Better it was you."
* Next day at school, Mikala blows off jock who treated her bad, showing she's a car geek. She meets with Sam, who's accompanied by Bumblebee who's playing "All By Myself" until she shows. They kiss, as Bumblebee plays Aerosmith's Young Lust.
* Fallout from the government:

Quote:
"In an effort to limit awareness of the extent of the situation and its true import, the president has ordered Sector Seven to be dissolved and the remains of the deceased aliens to be secretly disposed of. He and his administration will take the heat for what will officially be called 'a civilian-military experiment gone bad'. There will be a storm of questions from the media. Given that 'alien invasion' is among the least likely explanations to be believed, we think it should be possible to manage the consequent fallout. Public relations-wise, containment will not be perfect, but I am assured that it can be spun."

Turning, the indicated a wall screen. It showed the bow of a huge freighter surrounded by escort vehicles. As the remote camera looked on, the twisted gnarled remains of lifeless Decepticons were pushed through an open railing and over the side of the ship to disappear beneath white-topped waves.

"To prevent any chance of unforseeable environmental fallout resulting from possible degradation of the, uh, bodies, they are being dumped into the Laurentian Abyss. At the disposal point it is seven miles to the sea bottom -- the deepest point in any of the oceans. The programmed detonation at the location will be buffered by the massive depth, pressure, and water column above it. Worldwide sensors will register it as nothing more than a small seimic disturbance typical for an area where the seafloor is spreading. Additionally, the exact site that has been chosen lies within a sunken caldera. I am assured that sufficient kilotons are being employed to implode this geological feature, thus burying everything beneath the resultant rubble."
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141826)
Posted by Brakethrough on May 30th, 2007 @ 10:35am CDT
The idea that the first thing Megs will say, when looking down upon his former captors, is a dismissive and annoyed "Insects", fills me with great joy.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141886)
Posted by LiegeCentrino on May 30th, 2007 @ 11:31am CDT
Released today? I bought mine at Forbidden Planet as an import about two weeks ago...
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141937)
Posted by Roboto750 on May 30th, 2007 @ 12:38pm CDT
I made sure not to read past your intro sentence there. Thanks for the contribution, but why the heck would anyone want to know this before the movie comes out? Leaves little to look forward to. :???:

Darth Bombshell wrote:Here's a full list of spoilers, courtesy of SuperHeroHype.com. I have no idea whether or not something along these lines has already been posted (haven't gone through the thread), nor will I mention that this is all spolierish (I think after three pages that point's been very well established.)

THE BEGINNING / THE END:

- There's no Cybertron scenes from what I can tell, but it's entirely possible given the early screening reports. It opens with a description of the Allspark, so maybe Optimus narrates the history/opening. The discovery of Megatron by Sam's great-great grandfather is still there.

- THE ENDING. I skipped to the end, and it does end with Optimus going onto a mountain and sending out a signal/message of hope to the remaining Autobots around the galaxy indicating they have found a new home on Earth. It's not Everest, as the script had, but it's almost exactly word for word the same.

ODDS AND ENDS

* How Bumblebee ended up on the used car lot.
-- Bumblebee is trailing Sam. Makes sense given his infiltration role in the IDW comic line which the film seems to take a lot of tone from.
* Blackout's attack on the base. The electronic screech is basically a sped up modem connect handshake. A techie explains this, which makes sense, given that they're trying to interface with our technology and that's probably the slowest speed the Decepticons can manage.
* Tyrese & Josh's group are the only survivors of Blackout's attack of the base. Epps captures a thermal image of Blackout, obtaining proof of the Decepticon's presence on Earth. Blackout wiped out the base for the sole purpose of keeping his appearance secret. Scorponok was ejected to track down the humans who have this evidence.
* Frenzy is phase II of the Decepticon's attempt at tracking down the location of Megatron. From the prequel novel, the Decepticons find out about Project Megaman and Sector Seven. Blackout's hacking attempt was interrupted when someone physically severs the network connection. Frenzy manages to finally obtain the file, killing three of the President's men.
* Y'know how the original script had a lot of cutesy nods to the phrase "more than meets the eye"? So far, there's only been one, and it made sense without being forced. Basically, when Sam gives Mikala a ride home, and she ends up spilling the beans about being a car geek, she says something like, "You think I'm shallow?" and Sam says, "Nah, I think there's more to you than meets the eye."
* The novelization reads a lot easier than the prequel novel. In so far as the characters "feel" like normal characters instead of cliched stand-ins. Not many G1 nods offhand, although, when Bernie Mac asks where the Camaro came from, the mechanic says maybe it was dropped off by that 18 wheeler that came by last week.
* 100 pages in, Bumblebee makes his move to escape, likely to report to Optimus that he found the relative of the guy who originally found the All Spark. Sam calls 911 since he just saw his $4000 car being stolen. He chases BB on his bike, while on the phone with 911. He sees BB transform and leap off. 911 doesn't believe him. BB must have noticed as he returns before the authorites arrive. It seems as if he's doing everything he can to maintain cover.
* The novel is 291 pages. I may scan in the last chapter/page if anyone requires proof.
* There may be some last minute changes, as the All Spark is referred to as the Energon Cube, and Brawl as Devastator.
* Sam kicks Frenzy, who later rescans the contents of Mikala's purse and takes the form of her Sidekick.
* The three comets in the trailer? Those are the Autobots (Ironhide, Optimus, Ratchet) - Ratchet takes his form from an emergency vehicle that arrives on the scene of the meteroid crash. Ironhide takes his form from a pickup truck in the driveway next to the pool where he crashed.
* Possible change : When Sam says "superadvanced, probably Japanese" in the trailer, the novel has him saying this in reference to Bumblebee. It's entirely possible this is how the trailer was edited, however.
* Optimus generates a 3d hologram of what Cybertron looks like. Lots of metal, lots of destruction, lots of decapitated 'bots, etc. A war ravaged place it looks like.
* Gah. Frenzy is in Mikala's purse when Sam and Mikala are at Sam's house looking for the specs. Eerie. Lots of humor though to make up for it. Autobots trying to understand our words is pretty fun. ('Did you look within the oblong clothing storage device?' 'Perhaps it's beneath the four point floor sheath.')
* Possible change: Jazz is the one who falls into the wires at Sam's house, while the screenings indicate this is Ratchet.
* Optimus never says "My bad." This is all Sam, when his dad is mad at him showing up late, having not done his chores.
* Possible change: Latest trailer has Sector Seven interviewing Sam saying "Your car.. TRANSFORMED?!" and Mikala says "That'd be crazy." No mention of transforming by SS agent.
* Mikala learned about cars from her dad, who's up for parole for Grand Theft Auto.
* Jazz seems to have the ability to magnetize his hands. He grabs Sector Seven's weapons that way.
* Cool exchange between Autobots:

Quote:
Jazz's response took nanoseconds, the sonic alien equivalent of a single Chinese glyph. "They have Bumblebee!"

"Bumblebee is a brave soldier who understands and accepts the risks of our war," Optimus replied solemnly. Sonics gave way to common English. "For the sake of practice and gaining familiarity with idiom, we should speak now in the language of our new home."

"Our new home?" Ratchet was clearly bemused even as he complied with the directive.

Optimus turned to regard his colleague. "I have had sufficient time to ponder all possible ramifications of a multiplicity of actions, and what I have decided is this: if we return the Cube to Cybertron, our war will continue. I postulate eventual victory, but not for a minimum of another thousand years. We have been fighting so long, I can remember nothing else." With a sweep of one great arm he took in their surroundings: quiet, tranquil, and at peace, albeit unsettlingly organic. "The opportunity to live, to exist in a state of being other than perpetual combat, lies here, on this world. The madness ends today."

"But how?" Jazz understandably wanted to know.

Optimus proceeded to reveal that he had indeed thought out situation in depth. "When we reach the Cube, I will join it with my spark."

Ratchet was openly appalled. "But an energy resurgence of that magnitude will destroy you both!"

"I will not allow the humans to become a casualty of our war," their leader declared firml. "That is not our way. If we have battled so long for naught else, we have fought for that much. It is an immediately achieveable goal. To fight to preserve life, however different it may be from our own." He hesitated for a split second. "That is a belief worth dying for."

One by one his counterparts closed in around him. They transformed together, reasserting the aboriginal mechanical forms they had adopted in order to be able to conceal themselves among the humans. Optimus studied his companions. Though still machines, they looked wholly terrestrial. What would be an appropriate indiginous designation for bots of this kind? Conscious of his ow directive to utilize local language and idioms wherever possible, he followed through as he voiced his next command.

"Autobots -- roll out."
* When Sector Seven picks up Sam and Mikala, Frenzy accompanies them in her purse. SS gathers all the people who have interacted with the Transformers (Tyrese/Duhamel's group; Blonde techie; Sam) now that they know there's an impending invasion in the hopes of finding out more information about them.
* The All Spark animates someone's cell phone, which goes insane and has to be put down.
* Frenzy escapes in the dam, and wrecks havoc, causing Megatron to start to defrost. Starscream and gang are on the way. The proverbial fan is about to get hit with excrement. Duhamel takes Sam and the Cube to where Bumblebee is, to get advice on what to do.
* Megatron's first words? "INSECTS."
* Interesting scene:

Quote:
Bumblebee reached the Cube. For an instant he hesitated and simply stared. The artifact before him was, after all, the original source of all life energy for his kind.

It was not quote like a human confronting God. More akin, Mikala found herself thinking as she looked on, to a sentient laptop being offered a battery that would never run down.
* Bumbleee takes the Cube, and they leave the dam. Megatron awakes, transforms and flies off in alien jet form to meet with Starscream who is waiting outside.
* Bumblebee and Sector Seven link up with Optimus, Ratchet and gang on the freeway. Bonecrusher and Barricade show up. Bonecrusher in vehicle form is scooping vehicles up and tossing them out of the way, before transforming and blading his way up the road. Optimus transforms to stop him as we see in the trailer. Barricade leaps on Optimus' back. Optimus blasts Bonecrusher and handily thrashes Barricade against a freeway pillar. Remaining Decepticons fall back to re-evaluate their strategy.
* They're heading into the city to call in an air strike. They split up. Frenzy interrupts Keller and Magie (techie). Fight ensues. Feels Terminator-ish. She runs out of shotgun ammo, ends up ducking as one of Frenzy's discs end up decapitating Frenzy.
* Air strike in bound. F22 Raptor circling city. Every TF fan should see this one coming. Epps radios F22, which ignores them. Ironhide knows something's up and orders Jazz and Bumblebee into flanking positions as the jet launches missles at them. Bumblebee gets torn in half as a result of the attack, trying to defend humans. He tosses a car up in front of the missle.
* All Spark falls to the ground, triggering a massive shockwave that causes all the electronic devices in the area to come to life. Scene in a shopping center indicates a cart piled high with gaming consoles sprouts arms and tries to free itself from its box. Flat screen tvs sprout legs, stereos stumble about aimlessly. At a nearby gun shop a rifle begins to sprout tendrils and rise but collapses as the wave dissipates.
* Brawl and Blackout arrive on the scene. Jazz jumps on Brawl's back before he can shoot Sam and Mikala. Ratchet and Ironhide show up and start bashing on Brawl.
* Megatron sends out a massive pulse blast and knocks Jazz to the ground before ripping him open and taking his spark.
* Optimus and Megatron lock eyes, as Megatron transforms into a jet. Optimus leaps up onto Megatron dragging him to the ground. They transform and begin to battle.
* Bumblebee drags himself to the cube, and begs Sam to go, and he naturally refuses. "Ggggooooo Ssssammmm..." Ironhide provides cover for Sam as Starscream lands in the street (as seen in the trailer) Blackout tries to stomp on Sam.
* Fun quote for everyone:

Quote:
Far down the street the battle of the titans continued unabated. Stepping back, Megatron's arms morphed into an enormous piece of alien artillery. The pulse blast they produced sent the stunned Optimus hurtling backward the length of a full city block.
* Sam goes to the roof on Epps urging. He's called in Blackhawks to rescue him and the All Spark. Just as Sam is about to be rescued, Starscream blows up the chopper.
* Mikala helps Bumblebee to fight. He's firing at Brawl in the trailer.
* Barricade is distracted by a two prong attack and gets destroyed by humans.
* Megatron confronts Sam with his arm canon on the rooftops. Optimus grabs him and they fall to the ground with Megatron in pursuit.
* Optimus rolls and fires at Megatron, his arm morphing into his gun. He digs his legs into the side of the building to slow his fall.
* On the ground, Optimus realizes Sam was ready to give his life to protect the All Spark. Megatron leans in claming the cube as his own. Optimus does leg sweep, knocking Megatron backwards. He begs Sam to aim the cube at his spark. He's ready to sacrifice himself to stop Megatron. Sam starts running up Optimus, and at the last minute, aims for Megatron who stumbles, sparks all over and falls.
* Starscream shrieks and takes off into the sky to escape.
* Optimus says Megatron gave him no choice.

Quote:
"You left me no choice ... Brother. For the Energon to be dealt with, one of us had to die. I was willing for it to be me." He pivoted. "Better it was you."
* Next day at school, Mikala blows off jock who treated her bad, showing she's a car geek. She meets with Sam, who's accompanied by Bumblebee who's playing "All By Myself" until she shows. They kiss, as Bumblebee plays Aerosmith's Young Lust.
* Fallout from the government:

Quote:
"In an effort to limit awareness of the extent of the situation and its true import, the president has ordered Sector Seven to be dissolved and the remains of the deceased aliens to be secretly disposed of. He and his administration will take the heat for what will officially be called 'a civilian-military experiment gone bad'. There will be a storm of questions from the media. Given that 'alien invasion' is among the least likely explanations to be believed, we think it should be possible to manage the consequent fallout. Public relations-wise, containment will not be perfect, but I am assured that it can be spun."

Turning, the indicated a wall screen. It showed the bow of a huge freighter surrounded by escort vehicles. As the remote camera looked on, the twisted gnarled remains of lifeless Decepticons were pushed through an open railing and over the side of the ship to disappear beneath white-topped waves.

"To prevent any chance of unforseeable environmental fallout resulting from possible degradation of the, uh, bodies, they are being dumped into the Laurentian Abyss. At the disposal point it is seven miles to the sea bottom -- the deepest point in any of the oceans. The programmed detonation at the location will be buffered by the massive depth, pressure, and water column above it. Worldwide sensors will register it as nothing more than a small seimic disturbance typical for an area where the seafloor is spreading. Additionally, the exact site that has been chosen lies within a sunken caldera. I am assured that sufficient kilotons are being employed to implode this geological feature, thus burying everything beneath the resultant rubble."
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (141956)
Posted by Insurgent on May 30th, 2007 @ 12:56pm CDT
I saw this in FP last week. Didnt get it though. I prefer to have the story told on the big screen.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (142021)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on May 30th, 2007 @ 1:39pm CDT
Roboto750 wrote:I made sure not to read past your intro sentence there. Thanks for the contribution, but why the heck would anyone want to know this before the movie comes out? Leaves little to look forward to. :???:


True, but I'm the kind of person who doesn't really find any point in being spoiler free. After all, it's one thing to read about what happens in a movie, quite another to actually see it.

I bought all three Star Wars prequel novels more or less on the day they came out, and I can honestly say that my enjoyment of the movies wasn't dampened in the slightest. If anything, it made me enjoy the movies all the more. Having picked up the book already, I can say that I expect the same to happen with this movie.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (143481)
Posted by Roboto750 on May 31st, 2007 @ 3:20pm CDT
Darth Bombshell wrote:
Roboto750 wrote:I made sure not to read past your intro sentence there. Thanks for the contribution, but why the heck would anyone want to know this before the movie comes out? Leaves little to look forward to. :???:


True, but I'm the kind of person who doesn't really find any point in being spoiler free. After all, it's one thing to read about what happens in a movie, quite another to actually see it.

I bought all three Star Wars prequel novels more or less on the day they came out, and I can honestly say that my enjoyment of the movies wasn't dampened in the slightest. If anything, it made me enjoy the movies all the more. Having picked up the book already, I can say that I expect the same to happen with this movie.


True, the novel versions often differ from the actual film. Again, good job!
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (143868)
Posted by Sunstar on May 31st, 2007 @ 9:10pm CDT
I am tempted to pick up the Movie trade Paperback. I saw it at coles today.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (143947)
Posted by Roboto750 on May 31st, 2007 @ 10:05pm CDT
Sunstar wrote:I am tempted to pick up the Movie trade Paperback. I saw it at coles today.


I want that, along with the novel, but I'll probably wait until after Botcon.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (144182)
Posted by Sunstar on June 1st, 2007 @ 3:37am CDT
Roboto750 wrote:
Sunstar wrote:I am tempted to pick up the Movie trade Paperback. I saw it at coles today.


I want that, along with the novel, but I'll probably wait until after Botcon.


I have an odd feeling it is not supposed to be out yet... I may pick it up still...
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (144184)
Posted by Leonardo on June 1st, 2007 @ 3:39am CDT
An intriguing read. Thanks for the info there, DB.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (146108)
Posted by Mr.RobotoAutoMan on June 2nd, 2007 @ 5:56pm CDT
just got it today. i got a question though. can someone help me? i know it might be simple but its at the bottom.







*spoiler*
so megatrons eye blind archibald or what?
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (146772)
Posted by Neko on June 3rd, 2007 @ 7:34am CDT
Mr.RobotAutoMan wrote:just got it today. i got a question though. can someone help me? i know it might be simple but its at the bottom.







*spoiler*
so megatrons eye blind archibald or what?


Apparantly. After Meg's shoots Ol' Archy w/ the light, it blinds him and inscribes the map onto the spectacles.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (147622)
Posted by Sunstar on June 3rd, 2007 @ 10:00pm CDT
Wasn't archie pickin megatron's nose? :P
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (149091)
Posted by thefallen07 on June 4th, 2007 @ 8:58pm CDT
I got the book last week , and have gotten through half of it, and so far its been pretty good only because it gives me a better idea on what the move MIGHT be like.

However, I think Foster should have also taken a look at his 'Ghosts of Yesterday' before releasing this book.

Can someone who has read both books , explain to me the dis-continuity between 'Ghosts' and the movie adaption? Specifically, (SPOILER..maybe), in the book Prime introduces everyone, and explains that their names come from the English word that most likely fits their personalities. However, in 'Ghosts', they call each other by the same names in the dialog..long before they learn English.

They should have had SimFur write the novels as well as the comics. I think he is a much better writer than Foster. BTW..his job on the prequel comics was great!! IMHO.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (149098)
Posted by Neko on June 4th, 2007 @ 9:02pm CDT
thefallen07 wrote:I got the book last week , and have gotten through half of it, and so far its been pretty good only because it gives me a better idea on what the move MIGHT be like.

However, I think Foster should have also taken a look at his 'Ghosts of Yesterday' before releasing this book.

Can someone who has read both books , explain to me the dis-continuity between 'Ghosts' and the movie adaption? Specifically, (SPOILER..maybe), in the book Prime introduces everyone, and explains that their names come from the English word that most likely fits their personalities. However, in 'Ghosts', they call each other by the same names in the dialog..long before they learn English.

They should have had SimFur write the novels as well as the comics. I think he is a much better writer than Foster. BTW..his job on the prequel comics was great!! IMHO.



He wrote both books and if I recall correctly, he wrote the novelization before Ghosts of yesterday. He was given a script and he wrote a novelization. With the prequal he didn't have such strict rules to follow and could play around a bit with different things.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (149118)
Posted by thefallen07 on June 4th, 2007 @ 9:20pm CDT
Has anyone seen the version of the script that folks believe he used for his adaptation? Does Optimus really explain the introductions that way ?

Being a big G1 fan, I have come to terms with a lot from the way this movie was done, but this would just be such a lame excuse for explaining their names.

I guess we'll have to see if SimFur does it when the comic adaptations come out starting this week.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (150154)
Posted by Sunstar on June 5th, 2007 @ 4:01pm CDT
It also seems to be like that in the comic TPB as well. OPtimus Prime explains the names being derived from earth's vocabulary.
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (150254)
Posted by Mr.RobotoAutoMan on June 5th, 2007 @ 5:07pm CDT
i just finished the book. lots and lots of humor and action. pretty good. i just hope the movie has more dialouge than the book. what did everyone think about the book? has anyone finished it yet?
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (150389)
Posted by decepticonjon on June 5th, 2007 @ 6:11pm CDT
Handbanana wrote:How does something like the wrong names make it into the novelization? Didn't anybody think that maybe they should update the authors of there product? Or did the editor just say "F@ck it."

Thats really sad, even for a movie novelization.

I was looking forward to the book, too.

well, the prequel book was a good story, it was horribly written and editted (a 4th grader could have written a better novel). i found several typo's and such within the first 50 pages.
in fact, i've never like the way alan dean foster writes, but he writes good stories.. i guess that would be the correct way to put it
Re: Released Today: Novel Adaptation of Transformers Movie by Alan Dean Foster (156805)
Posted by Judge Deliberata on June 9th, 2007 @ 10:00pm CDT
Well, after having critical parts of the end battle spoiled for me, I bit the bullet, went out and bought the novel.

Any reservations I have about the movie? Out the window. Especially loved the final scene.

**SPOILERISH REFERENCE BELOW ZOMG***














You know, just KNOW, that Optimus' action at the very end is what is going to come back and bite him in the ass, and shape his regrets for bringing the war to Earth, if there's a sequel.













**END SPOILERISH REFERENCE**


July 3 cannot come fast enough.