Transformers News: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included

Saturday, April 25th, 2009 10:21PM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Rumors, Collectables, Interviews
Posted by: Down_Shift   Views: 25,054

TFCon 09 - Today I was fortunate enough to have a personal interview with a representative from the good folks at Fans Project. We talked a little about how they got their start, how they do what they do, and what they have planned for the future.

Down_Shift - First off, let me thank you very much for taking the time to speak to us today. It will mean a lot to not only fans of Seibertron.com but all fans of your work. So far everything you've done as a company has been very well received. It must feel very good to know that what your doing is going over so well.

FansProject - It does feel very good.

D_S - My first question is how does it feel to be at a Hasbro endorsed event knowing that your product is being sold as the convention exclusive?

FP - We don't put much thought about it, we buy Hasbro toys just like everyone else. We love everything Transformers and are pleased to be a part of it.

D_S - How did you start FansProject? What made it come together?

FP - You know as a kid we all wanted to make our toys better? We did and still do. A small group of customizers found one another on the Internet and started talking. Soon we decided to try the CJ Upgrade kit to see how it would go.

D_S - Where is FansProject situated?

FP - Our manufacturing facilities are located in mainland China. Our team members are all over the world and communicate our ideas through the Internet to one another. We occasionally meet in person though. That's a lot of fun.

D_S - I bet it is. You're literally living the dream. Now we know this plays into a big part of your lives but is this a full-time job for all of you or is this more a labor of love? Maybe it's both?

FP - We do Fansproject work as a hobby, not as a business. We all have full time jobs, and work on FansProject projects in our spare time.

D_S - How many people are on the FansProject staff?

FP - There's about 6 or 7 members on the actual design team.

D_S - How does it feel to have pioneered the field of 3rd-party customs?

FP - To be honest, it doesn't really matter to us that we were the first in the field. It would not have mattered if we were #10. We do this because we enjoy it, not because it's groundbreaking.

D_S - What's the decision process behind what you decide to make? I know I'd be all over the place. Too many wants and not enough time. heh.

FP - We do what we enjoy making. Of course we do enjoy pleasing the fans in the process and accept all suggestions. We evaluate all options based on the economics and logistics of production before we fully commit. We release images of our progress only when we are sure as we are sure that's the way we want to go.

D_S - So how much of the money made from the sale of a figure goes directly into producing future projects?

FP - Most of the money we make goes back into upcoming projects. This is our hobby after all so most of our money goes into future product designing and manufacturing costs. When we first did the CJ kit we lost money making it. But it got us out there. However we do buy lots of new figures for "product research". It's a business expense. Ha ha ha.

D_S - I would love to be able to write off my hobby. It's the perfect crime. If you could, please describe some of the future projects that we have been treated to today.

FP - G3 Trailer: The "stealth mode" is a recent idea and almost a money losing feature that we are adding to the trailer. It uses a reflective mirror-like substance that's not glass that is used to hide the trailer and also fits neatly inside. This way we have an answer to "where did the trailer go?" Has taken 2 years just to get to the stage we are at now.

Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProje

Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProje

- Protector: This stands a little shorter than City Commander, to be in scale with the rest of the line. If all goes well, it could see release by the end of year, however we will not announce certain release dates until mass production begins.

Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProje

Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProje

Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProje

- Defender: This will be our first stand alone figure. It is around the same height as a Deluxe figure and is a "three changer".

Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProje

- Collector: Second Stand alone figure. Collects "junk". Take a guess. More on this figure later.

Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProje

- Warbot/???: Will be a "three changer" as well. Not two seperate vehicle modes. Big.

Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProje

- GlacialBot: An Ice Aged themed combiner team that is very classic in design. We wanted to keep the retro flavor and taste that we grew up loving. Made of 5 figures so far. Mammoth, Deer, Sabertooth Tiger, Bear, & Rhino. These modes may change. Designing a Gestalt from the ground up is challenging work, but we think we have pulled it off with success.

Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProje

Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProje

- Superion Maximus Limbs Set: Each limb is meant to fit in with the plane mode. For example a hand converts to a bomb door when the robot is in plane mode. Accessories attach to plane modes for additional firepower.

Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProje

- Pharohbot: Lots of design sketches. May want to take it in another direction. We may release sketches one day to see if there is enough fan reaction to make it feasible.

D_S - I noticed that in the Powered Commander comic there are no words spoken. Just a dramatic sequence of events. Is there a specific reason for that?

FP - No time to come up with one actually, but and it and the art style turned out very well actually. Much like a Manga. We think it turned out very well.

D_S - Have there been any legal issues between FansProjects and Hasbro/Takara?

FP - No, we are making money off of it, but we're not in it for profit, and all profits go back into manufacturing. It`s a hobby and I think that's for the best. We haven't had any conversations with them at all, positive or negative, and that`s just fine with us.

D_S - What are your thoughts on iGear's City Commander upgrade package; an add-on to your add-on?

FP - We don't mind at all, there isn`t any right or wrong in this hobby. Of course we prefer that if there is a kit for our products, we'd like it to be of good quality.

D_S - So the 4th party KOs of your CJ kits don't bother you?

FP - Again, we don't look at the whole thing like a business, it hasn't hurt our feelings. Even Hasbro has knock offs you know.

D_S - With the appearance of some competition, how has that affected your strategies?

FP - It hasn`t; we do this for our enjoyment and the enjoyment of collectors. It doesn`t matter who else is out there.

D_S - How often do you expect to release new characters and products?

FP - We would prefer something new is released every 3-4 months, but we won't be willing to release something if we don't believe it meets our specifications. We are fans too, we wouldn't want something that doesn't meet our expectations.

D_S - After seeing the previews today I'm really excited about your upcoming projects. Would you be able to give us a release order?

FP - We will be releasing what is ready, whenever it is ready. Right now there isn't really a specific order. Although progress on the Superion limbs is coming along nicely. We have a very tentative release of sometime in June.

D_S - How long does it take for a character to go from concept to shipping the final product?

FP - It has taken a long time, longer than fans think. We've been working on the G3 Trailer for 2 years now and had the first prototype of City Commander just as the CJ Upgrade package was released.

D_S - Do you have any plans to do kits outside of the Transformers line?

FP - Not at this time. We have too many ideas right now that are related to the Transformers lines.

D_S - Thank you so much for taking the time to sit down with us and share your experiences with us. Is there anything you'd like to say to the fans?

FP - We would like to thank everyone very much for the support. We hear lots of requests for what we should make, but at the same time we're doing what we love which means we have our say too. We never want to go against the fan's wishes but at the same time it all boils down to what we want to do. Thank you very much for the support!
Credit(s): FansProject
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914757)
Posted by Down_Shift on April 25th, 2009 @ 10:28pm CDT
Autobot032 wrote:
All in all, I'm not really that impressed with the news so far.

I think they are saving the big info for the bigger con. They even said they are saving the heavy answers for "another convention". In other words, Botcon.

I gotta say the ballsiest thing there was the guy selling the ROTF wave 1&2 legends figures.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914761)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2009 @ 10:54pm CDT
Mkall wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:All in all, I'm not really that impressed with the news so far.

Wellm we are in Canada, being told stuff by Greg who was told what to tell us, there wasn't even an interactive Q&A :(

I think botcon will have more info

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was aiming that toward you guys.

I meant the info and the amount of news given to you was pure crap. For a convention with Q&A that costs money...I'd expect a bit more.

No, you guys did fine.

It Is Him wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:
As for ROTF:
[quote]- Movie Preview Figures: May 15th.
I was not expecting them to be coming out that late... A bit of a shocker.

It's only 3 weeks away.[/quote]

Oh I know that, but last time they had these out a month prior, and then released some Deluxes in honor of the second trailer, then the line itself.

This time, they're cutting it close. I'm guessing so the Preview wave doesn't shelfclog...

Down_Shift wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:
All in all, I'm not really that impressed with the news so far.

True, but they could've given this convention a bit of it's own juicy info. Something to show it's worth a damn too.

As for the guy selling the figures...that's..heh. Wow. Brass, through and through.

At least Rodimus (in '86) had some kind of a "truckish" thing going on there...this guy, not so much.

I'm sure the final product will look even better, but I was expecting like an add on piece that would convert the tail end of Hot Rod and fuse him with the trailer, while keeping the nose intact, but giving the appearance of an entirely different vehicle.

As it is now, you can clearly tell it's Hot Rod (spoiler sticking out, and all) shoved into the bottom of a box on wheels.

I know, I'm not explaining it right, but hopefully someone will get it and word it better.

EDIT: After looking at the pictures, I realize there is some positive stuff I got from all of this...

Wreck-Gar? Yes.

Springer? Yes. (Now that I know he's an actual figure, like A.R.C. Fembot.)

Autobot Twins Cloudraker and Fastlane? YES. (Double yes.)

The Glacier combiner? YES. (Oh hells yes.)

Rodimus is still iffy. I'll consider it right now, make a final decision when it's finally able to be seen in detail.

Now...tell me again why they can't make us an Arcee that blows A.R.C. out of the water? Seriously... Or for that matter...an Animated Arcee, in case Hasbro decides to tell us to get bent.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914769)
Posted by Down_Shift on April 25th, 2009 @ 11:12pm CDT
Autobot032 wrote:

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was aiming that toward you guys.

No, you guys did fine.

Honestly, I did expect just a touch more of something else. Maybe in regards to more exclusives because that's something Canada gets boned on a lot.

Autobot032 wrote:And the FP interview? Excellent info, excellent questions, but I detected a bit of an attitude from the FP guy (and I could be wrong since it's the internet, but I still get that..."feeling") and as for the projects themselves...impressive, but the more and more I see of Rodimus, the more and more I see he's like Ultra Magnus (I.E. not needed in my collection.)

To tell you the honest truth, he was very polite. He was actually a lot of fun to talk to. I think he was just as excited to talk to us as we were to talk to him. There were even a few things talked about off the books that he's really excited about. I'd love to tell you all more but MKall and I were told not to say anything just yet. But I think everyone will be impressed.

Autobot032 wrote:I realize they've done an impressive job of updating him, and that Hot Rod pulling a trailer/camper thingamajig is pretty much what Rodimus has always been about, plus I realize they can only do so much with what they're given, but he really does look like Hot Rod pulling a trailer.

Ha ha ha, I get what your saying. I was hoping to see a prototype here this year, but I'm happy with the images. But for me, I love seeing stuff like that.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914773)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2009 @ 11:20pm CDT
Down_Shift wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was aiming that toward you guys.

No, you guys did fine.

Excellent point. Now that you mention it, kinda cheeses me off a bit more than before.

Down_Shift wrote:

Well then, I stand corrected. I'm glad to see he was a great guy to deal with. That alone makes me want to give someone my business. And if there's even more than what we've seen already...I might actually fall in love with G1 again.

Down_Shift wrote:

Oh good. Glad someone got it. I was hoping I wasn't looking like an idiot out here. (Or at least no more than I usually do. lol)

I'm sure it'll be an impressive piece, plus all of the finer tweaks etc, but if it's about the same in the end as it is now in transition, I just can't part with that kind of dough. I'd have to find Classics Rodimus, then buy this trailer piece, etc. It really needs to wow me to do all that.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914777)
Posted by Delicon on April 25th, 2009 @ 11:37pm CDT
Great work, Down_Shift and Mkall!

Seeing that Springer will indeed be a Triple Changer is very awesome and I can't wait for that Wreck Gar, either!

You gave us a lot of info, especially the Fans Project tidbits.

I'm already looking forward to Botcon where we will know a lot more.

(Of course, Brian Savage will just grimace every time someone asks him a question but oh well)
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914783)
Posted by El Duque on April 25th, 2009 @ 11:51pm CDT
As if I didn't love FansProject enough already. These new projects look incredible.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914795)
Posted by Primacron's Little Helper on April 26th, 2009 @ 1:31am CDT

I concur though on how incredible those projects look, interesting to see that the Energon Superion Maximus add-on is a FanProject project. That new combiner looks exciting as well, Predabots perhaps? (Some how a Decepticon Deer doesn't sound quite right.)
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914798)
Posted by typh0id on April 26th, 2009 @ 1:43am CDT
Ooooh...FansProject is going to be getting a LOT of money from me...Rodimus Prime...Springer as an actual triplechanger...Wreck Gar...

It's almost painful how exciting all this is...
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914814)
Posted by Oilspill on April 26th, 2009 @ 6:39am CDT
Damn, ever one of those sets looks awesome. Specially as I haven't purchased any of the repaint Springers (since they weren't triple changers - and thus weren't really Springer).

I may even have to go and buy a Superion now. Thanks FansProject. I love you but my wallet hates you :P
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914817)
Posted by Rodentus Prime on April 26th, 2009 @ 6:56am CDT
Autobot032 wrote:

Autobot Twins Cloudraker and Fastlane? YES. (Double yes.)

Looks more like a Broadside figure to me....

and is that a weapon kit pack for grimlock,hound and mirage I see in one of the pics - I hadn't heard about that before.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914819)
Posted by Mkall on April 26th, 2009 @ 7:10am CDT
Rodentus Prime wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:

Autobot Twins Cloudraker and Fastlane? YES. (Double yes.)

Looks more like a Broadside figure to me....

Broadside yes

And those weapons will be coming with the G3 Trailer.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914821)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on April 26th, 2009 @ 7:20am CDT
Thanks for the info on the FansProject stuff, DownShift. I"m really geeked about all of it. Especially Rodimus and the energon combiner extras. Now it looks like I might need to pick up the Superion Maximus set that comes out with ROTF :grin:
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914822)
Posted by Down_Shift on April 26th, 2009 @ 7:30am CDT
Delicon wrote:Great work, Down_Shift and Mkall!

You gave us a lot of info, especially the Fans Project tidbits.

I'm already looking forward to Botcon where we will know a lot more.

Thanks man. We were both really pumped to do this. It was kind of on a whim. I'm glad to see everyone so happy with the FP stuff. I know I am.

When I go back today there are a few more questions I want to ask about Wreck-Gar and Broadside.

I made sure to ask him, although I don't think I put it in the interview, about Broadside. He is infact a triple changer. I thought he was one bot and two separate vehicle modes, but he tells us that it is a true triple changer. Wreck-Gar on the other hand I forgot to ask questions about. I think I was trying to cover thej basics and forgot about the basics, ya know? In the picture you see two robots, one bike and one robot riding a bike. I need to clairify but I think Collector is two Junkions. It looks to me like it's either two robots combine into one big robot, or one robot one bike combine into one big robot. With a goatee.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914823)
Posted by Narc on April 26th, 2009 @ 7:52am CDT
This is way cool! All these figures got me stoked! Everything these guys touch seem to turn to gold. The Superion add-on is a definite must for this gestalt to look decent and the fact that these limbs integrate into the alt-modes is perfect. Rodimus is another must. Not too sure about the stand-alones just yet but knowing these guys are coming is exciting. FP has my money on them. Oooh, my aching wallet. :D
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914832)
Posted by DevastaTTor on April 26th, 2009 @ 9:28am CDT
Great interview. Nice of them to reveal so much of their future work.

Got to say, I like the direction the Rodimus armor is heading. Definitely going to pick it up. Not sure about the other figures they're going to release. Perhaps the Collector just because I've never had a Wreckgar and this one looks very anime/classic in style. The others will be a wait and see.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914839)
Posted by El Duque on April 26th, 2009 @ 10:04am CDT
Primacron's Little Helper wrote:I think the stuff that FanProject are developing is far more exciting than anything Hasbro is doing, although I guess we'll find out more on that at Botcon.

My thoughts exactly. Can Hasbro just subcontract these guys to do the Classics/Universe line for them.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914842)
Posted by Counterpunch on April 26th, 2009 @ 10:34am CDT
El Duque wrote:

I think they're getting really, really close to getting their asses sued honestly.

I know, I know...it's China...good luck, etc. But the number 1 toy manufacturer in the world has at least a bit of sway with the factories that could put together entire Transformer toys.

Additions, add-ons, accessories...those are all one thing. When Fans Project starts dipping into actual characters...I think we could end up seeing some claws from Hasbro.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914845)
Posted by El Duque on April 26th, 2009 @ 10:52am CDT
Counterpunch wrote:
El Duque wrote:

I know that was in the back on my mind as well. So how does this work? Obviously these upcoming FP figures like Collector and Defender have an extreme and intended resemblance to Wrekgar and Springer, but they aren't duplicates of anything Hasbro/Takara has done and they have different names. What can Hasbro/Takara do? They don't have an exclusive patent on transforming toys. I'm asking honestly, not trying to be a smart ass.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914852)
Posted by Counterpunch on April 26th, 2009 @ 11:23am CDT
El Duque wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:
El Duque wrote:

I don't know really.

Don't take my previous comments to show a lack of support for Fans Project either.

I'm probably just flat out wrong on this. I mean, KO manufacturers go to town all the time. The difference is that they don't want recognition. Fans Project is an easily identifiable group.

I hope they don't run into any issues. Their upcoming work looks quite good.
Re: Seibertron.com Exclusive - Sit Down Interview With FansProject - Pictures Included (914854)
Posted by El Duque on April 26th, 2009 @ 11:35am CDT
I wish them all the luck in the world, I love their stuff.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Generations Titan Class Metroplex with Autobot Scamper Figure NEW - Time Remaining: 2 days 9 hours 49 minutes 52 seconds
Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot Snarl Fans Toys FT-G G2 Red Sever in USA - Time Remaining: 7 days 14 hours 5 minutes 40 seconds
Transformers iGear PP01-U Ultra Leader Mini Masterpiece Ultra Magnus MISB! - Time Remaining: 8 days 2 hours 22 minutes 16 seconds
Pounce & Wingspan Clones~ MINT 100% Complete 1987 Vintage Hasbro G1 Transformers - Time Remaining: 1 day 17 hours 22 minutes 50 seconds
Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary IDW Deluxe Class Windblade Figure - Time Remaining: 2 days 9 hours 23 minutes 56 seconds
1985 Jetfire + Tech Spec Complete G1 Transformers - Time Remaining: 1 day 15 hours 55 minutes 44 seconds
Transformers Generations Combiner Wars  Liokaiser Platinum Edition NEW HASBRO - Time Remaining: 6 days 56 minutes 37 seconds
TRANSFORMERS G1 LOT: HEADSTRONG AND BONECRUSHER - Time Remaining: 1 day 16 hours 12 minutes 36 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #160 - Grappling with Memory