Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA

Transformers News: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 2:00AM CST

Categories: Site News, Event News, Site Articles
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 41,268

It is a world transformed, where things are not what they seem. It is the world of the Stop Online Piracy Act. A world where the Internet as you know it no longer exists. A world of restricted freedom of speech. A world without Transformers fansites such as Seibertron.com. It is up to you to light the Internet's darkest hour to help prevent this dark chaos from happening.

Today, Seibertron.com joins many other major websites such as Google, Reddit, and Wikipedia to strike against censorship. Join us in this historic moment: tell Congress to stop this bill now!

Each and every one of you plays an important part in protecting the Internet as we know it. You can do your part to preserve the sites that you love. Tell Congress: Don't Censor The Web.

For additional information about SOPA and PIPA and why Seibertron.com is involved, please click here.

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335134)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 18th, 2012 @ 2:19am CST
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335136)
Posted by metaphorge on January 18th, 2012 @ 2:33am CST
Dead Metal wrote:I think it's a shame that google isn't joining in the blackout, if they did, nobody would be able to do anything and the politicians would realise what's going on.

Agreed, though the header on their homepage is pretty attention-getting:
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335137)
Posted by dinogeist on January 18th, 2012 @ 2:40am CST

I think if Google,U-tube,ebay & amazon.com all joined in the blackout strike. then this all would severly cripple the internet. and might cancel out this bill.

Personally from my persepective this bill exist to cancel out all the Fan sites. which is a pure shame because these fan sites help advertise the companies products via news,pics & forums.

it's kinda sad these law makers,congress & elected officials create all these laws but their the first ones to break them.

Like I said in a earlier reply. These bills ain't gonna stop the piracy of recording lisecensed media product illegially. people will simply piracy the old fashioned way. (1) most cable channels have dozens of music video channels. people will simply record them using a DVD Recorder player. (2) people will buy the liscensed music/mmovies at stores. then use various dvd/vhs players or their computers to make bootleg copies. (2a) if anything this will cause a spike in sales on the illegial bootleg business of DVD/CD from those who buy the liscensed media product from stores,then get DVD players or their computers to make illegial copies on to blank dvd/CD's disk.
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335138)
Posted by Seibertron on January 18th, 2012 @ 2:51am CST
TigerMegatron wrote:

Like I said in a earlier reply. These bills ain't gonna stop the piracy of recording lisecensed media product illegially. people will simply this the old fashioned way. (1) most cable channels have dozens of music video channels. people will simply record them using a DVD Recorder player. (2) people will buy the liscensed music/mmovies at stores. then use various dvd/vhs players or their computers to make bootleg copies. (2a) if anything this will cause a spike in sales on the illegial bootleg business of DVD/CD from those who buy the liscensed media product from stores,then get DVD players or their computers to make illegial copies on to blank dvd/CD's disk.

Google is involved ... not sure why you guys are saying they're not. Go to Google.com ... their logo is blacked out and it links to the form on their site that I'm linking to. They can't turn off their whole site like Wikipedia because they also have a responsibility to their advertisers, like Seibertron.com does to its advertisers. This responsibility to others restricts exactly what we can and can't do. I think the solution I came up with gets the point across and will keep the site's advertisers happy.

I think if the legislation was passed, that you'd see a much larger revolt that involved the likes of large e-commerce sites like eBay or Amazon. Not necessary at this stage in my opinion.

Some sites like Reddit aren't starting their push until tomorrow morning (8am Eastern).
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335139)
Posted by dinogeist on January 18th, 2012 @ 2:58am CST
Seibertron wrote:
TigerMegatron wrote:

I'm curious,does this google black out effect usenet news groups?

What exactly will the black out for google do? will it prevent usenet members who use the google portal from posting & replying to threads? will google shut down for a while?

Since google & U-tube joined forces. does this google blackout also effect u-tube? I ask this because I've been a google/usenet/u-tube member for years. apparently when users create a google usenet account & you-tube account. the partnership between google & you-tube makes it the same exact singular user name. in other words I use the same exact user name & password to log in/out of my you-tube & google account.
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335141)
Posted by Seibertron on January 18th, 2012 @ 3:01am CST
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335142)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 18th, 2012 @ 3:04am CST
Must be only google us who block their logo, google Germany is still the same, no sign of sopa etc.

If google just stopped working for a couple of hours, it would create mass hysteria which would be good to get attention to the cause.
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335143)
Posted by metaphorge on January 18th, 2012 @ 3:07am CST
TigerMegatron wrote:
I'm curious,does this google black out effect usenet news groups?

Google has not chosen to suspend any of its services at this time. If they did choose to "shut off" it would likely take the form of a redirect from a portion of their web addresses to a page urging us to contact our legislators, similar to the one Wikipedia presently displays. As Seibertron pointed out above its unlikely Google will completely cease operation but they have a number of options to put the issue more directly 'in the face' of its users if this nonsense carries on.
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335146)
Posted by SkyWarpt on January 18th, 2012 @ 3:26am CST
My company will be joining in the blackout.
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335149)
Posted by Psychout on January 18th, 2012 @ 4:06am CST
Anyone seen The Oatmeal yet today? :lol:
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335150)
Posted by SkyWarpt on January 18th, 2012 @ 4:14am CST
I decided instead to make a direct link to the Google petition page as the homepage. That oatmeal skit was funny as H-E double hockey sticks BTW! :lol:
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335151)
Posted by Psychout on January 18th, 2012 @ 4:23am CST
Huge props to everyone that has joined the blackout, be it here at Seibetron or at your own sites. All of you are working to ensure the Internet in kept safe from stupid litigation, keep up
The great work!!
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335173)
Posted by Forgotten on January 18th, 2012 @ 7:41am CST
I have done what I can, I mirrored stopsopa on my business website southerncustomcomputers.com. I have been blowing up my social networking trying to get the word out. I even have a package on the way to my state senator, my own little SOPA/PIPA guide. A copy of Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, some duct tape & a miniature football helmet(real one too large to mail). He's smart enough to get the gist of it. We all have to be vigilant, we can not remain anonymous anymore. This is the time that we must all give up a little of our comfort to support not only our rights, but the rights for all generations to come. The internet is a tool. Let's show them how skilled we are in using it. Don't give up, don't rest, stay on them. We already have the basics of Marshall Law available for them to use on us, let's not let them also take away our way to research & protest these idiotic & antiquated ideals they are forcing upon us. :CON: :KREMZEEK:

PS: glad you're a part of this fight Ryan.
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335178)
Posted by noctorro on January 18th, 2012 @ 7:49am CST
Sucks I guess.

Anyway how does this end the internet?

I mean, since when is America the boss of the entire planet?
Did I miss a memo?

If it passes, then it'll be the seibertron underground resistance.
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335181)
Posted by Forgotten on January 18th, 2012 @ 8:03am CST
noctorro wrote:Sucks I guess.

Anyway how does this end the internet?

I mean, since when is America the boss of the entire planet?
Did I miss a memo?

If it passes, then it'll be the seibertron underground resistance.

This will give a small group an oppurtunity to control what can be learned, seen & done by the masses. If it passes in the US then it WILL make it's way elsewhere. Things like this never stop, they keep moving forward. Think of the chaos theory.
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335183)
Posted by Autobot032 on January 18th, 2012 @ 8:09am CST
noctorro wrote:Sucks I guess.

Uh...yes, yes it does.

noctorro wrote:Anyway how does this end the internet?

I mean, since when is America the boss of the entire planet?
Did I miss a memo?

First off, no one's claimed any such thing.

Second, if this goes through, it'll cripple the internet. People will be afraid to use it, not to mention, be angry. The bill's ambiguous wording makes it a very dangerous piece of power. People could go to jail simply for coming here, or watching YouTube.

Third, it's a proven fact that we and other countries buy from one another via the 'net. If we wall ourselves in with this bill, people won't be able to get in, we can't see out and becomee the next China or North Korea.

Fourth, other countries might follow suit, seems the UK is already, and soon we could see an empty internet that has next to no people using it. If the US, a beacon of freedom, can pull thisoff on it's people, then other countries can and will.

noctorro wrote:If it passes, then it'll be the seibertron underground resistance.

There won't be a resistance. We'll all be too afraid to use the internet, in any fashion. No, that's not a joke.
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335189)
Posted by Swindle01 on January 18th, 2012 @ 8:39am CST
god bless america

USA USA USA

your becoming more like china every day

seriously doesnt america have more to worry about than passing this crap? i dunno like maybe stopping another ressesion? perhaps stopping homophobic/sexist/none global warming beliving morons from the republics from becoming president maybe?
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335214)
Posted by Seibertron on January 18th, 2012 @ 10:15am CST

Just changed the channel to CNN. They're currently talking about the search for survivors from the cruise ship is over.
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335223)
Posted by Forgotten on January 18th, 2012 @ 10:36am CST
Seibertron wrote:I woke up this morning to WGN Radio's Mike McConnell talking about this whole topic on his show. That made me happy. I turned on CNN Headline News to see if this was getting coverage there. It was. That made me happy. At least until the show's host said something about "in the interest of full disclosure, Headline News is owned by Time Warner which supports these bills." * sigh *

Since I run the websites, networks & domains of my customers I have blacked out all sites I am affiliated with & I am having a small conference with all of my business customers this evening explaining the acts in depth with them as well as informing them on steps they should take to oppose it & asking them to use all of their personal social networking sites to help spread awareness & inform others on how to take a stand against this.
Re: Seibertron.com joins massive online protest against SOPA and PIPA (1335229)
Posted by Seibertron on January 18th, 2012 @ 10:46am CST
Nice to see fellow Transformers fansites TFormers.com and Allspark.com join the battle as well. Allspark.com is redirecting everyone from their domain to sopastrike.com.

YouTube personality Optibotimus shut his YouTube account down for the day. http://www.youtube.com/optibotimus

Kudos to everyone who does their part to bring attention to this issue!

Ending Soon On eBay

1985 Brazil Estrela Hasbro Transformers White Windcharger (Broken) - Time Remaining: 12 days 14 hours 11 minutes 38 seconds
TRANSFORMERS COMBINER WARS DELUXE FIGURE STUNTICON DRAGSTRIP - Time Remaining: 7 days 3 hours
Used Transformers Movie MD-09 Bonecrusher Painted - Time Remaining: 5 days 3 hours 47 minutes 16 seconds
Transformers DOTM Cyberverse Legion Autobot Flak (2011). - Time Remaining: 6 days 13 hours 18 minutes 17 seconds
BNISP Transformers Toy Action Figure Prime Beast Hunters Starscream Decepticon - Time Remaining: 13 days 17 hours 3 minutes 33 seconds
BNISP Transformers MechTech Roadbuster Autobot Dark Of The Moon Earnhardt Jr Toy - Time Remaining: 13 days 10 hours 37 minutes 6 seconds
Transformers Combiner Wars Cyclonus V/C Combiner /Galvatronus MIB! - Time Remaining: 7 days 3 hours 9 minutes 14 seconds
Perfect Effect PE-12 AFX Assault Force X AKA Transformers G1 Reflector + MiniSFX - Time Remaining: 5 days 14 hours 32 minutes 47 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #149 - Titans Arrive