This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers Movie Sued over "Bee-otch" Air Freshener

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Re: Transformers Movie Sued over

Postby Auto Bot » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:01 am

She ought to get something.

It's enough that she was not approached for permission. What added to the injury is that the public thought she was the one who copied the design from the movie.

More than the cash she deserves, she should also be awarded the recognition of designing that air-freshener.
Auto Bot
God Of Transformers

Postby Galvatron628 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:42 am

someone needs to slap that bitch. I have one of those air freshners and I would probably had no interest in buying one if I hadn't seen it in the movie. The movie just made her 99 cents off me, so if anything the movie is free advertising for her. If anything SHE should be the one paying the movie to advertise her product, but fortunatly she got free advertising thanks to it!

Theres so many little details in a movie, how can you remember to go out and copyright every little thing. Whats next are the Strokes going to sue Shia for whereing there shirt in the movie?

I really want to meet the lady and slap her. Seriously this is the stupidest thing I think I have ever heard of! No wait nevermind, the dumbest lawsuit was the guy who stuck his junk in a hot apple pie trying to copy Jason Bigg's scene in "american pie" and tried to sue the creators of the movie for giving him the idea... thats the dumbest lawsuit I have ever heard of! This might be second though
Galvatron628
Headmaster Jr

Postby Burn » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:10 am

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Cormaster628 wrote:Seriously this is the stupidest thing I think I have ever heard of!

Oh I dunno, i've heard stupider. Stuff like

someone needs to slap that bitch

and
I really want to meet the lady and slap her.

I mean really, how bloody stupid is it to want to slap someone you've never met just because they're trying to get money owed to them for something they created?

Honestly ... like I said before, some people need to seriously grow up, and maybe get a touch of reality.

And one parting thought. I am truly disgusted by some of the attitudes from my "fellow Seibertronians" in this thread. This woman created something. Sure, it may not have taken her long to do, but the fact is, she created something. She was approached to offer up a sample of her work, which she did in good faith. That work was then used WITHOUT HER PERMISSION. That work was also mass produced, WITHOUT HER PERMISSION AND FOR WHICH SHE RECEIVED NO ROYALTIES.

So please, all of you who want to call her something derogatory or inflict physical harm on her, please enlighten me as to why you would support someone's intellectual property being stolen and why you feel the need to criticise and abuse someone you don't know.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Galvatron628 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:14 am

I bought one because of the movie. It didn't say dreamworks or transformers or anything on it, it was in a cheap generic Air freshner bag. I don't think Dreamworks is selling "transformers bee-otch" air fresheners. Like I said its free advertising and if it was my product I'd be flattered. If anything she should be Paying them to put it in the movie!

People will sue for anything these days, its just ridiculous. She should just be flattered her air freshener gets to appear in a movie. I think its ridiculous how many people are suing borat! If theres money to be had, people will have it.
Galvatron628
Headmaster Jr

Postby Auto Bot » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:50 pm

It's a small thing. Copyright may not be necessary.

But at least the production could have informed her, or asked permission.

Since this item will be a central piece in the most important car of the movie.
Auto Bot
God Of Transformers

Postby AxiomScion » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:55 am

If dreamworks was selling the knock offs, and
she was wasn't getting paid for these knock offs,
then she would deserve the 850K from DW

If dreamworks was not selling the knock offs, and
she can't link them to those who were,
then she would not deserve the 850K from DW

Robinson wrote:Whether or not she's got a legit case is to be determined. Most likely she will have to go after the company that produced the item for the actual infringement.

however, not being credited for the creation of the item might warrant 85K from DW w/ an apology.

Movie credits do tend to feature clothing designers, makeup artist/product, and vehicle company/product, are prop designers to be left out in the cold?

A little foresight from the production team and the lady could have been working with DW rather than suing them now... ain't that a bee-otch? :-B
AxiomScion
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby Auto Bot » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:33 am

That Bee-otch thing is the main reason why the movie became successful.
Auto Bot
God Of Transformers

Postby Robinson » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:26 am

Auto Bot wrote:That Bee-otch thing is the main reason why the movie became successful.

Um, for some odd reason I don't think that an air freshener is the "main" thing that caused the movie to make over 600 million.
Robinson
Gestalt
News Credits: 11

Postby Auto Bot » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:20 am

Robinson wrote:
Auto Bot wrote:That Bee-otch thing is the main reason why the movie became successful.

Um, for some odd reason I don't think that an air freshener is the "main" thing that caused the movie to make over 600 million.

Bee-otch contributed the "$6" in the "$600" million. Without it, it will all be a bunch of zeros!

:lol:

Come, on. Smile for the new year. :grin:
Auto Bot
God Of Transformers

Postby Moonbase2 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:40 pm

I don't think she really has a case. But at least her design elicited a pretty good response from the audience. And Bumblebee approves.
Moonbase2
Godmaster
News Credits: 2

Postby Burn » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:29 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Moonbase2 wrote:I don't think she really has a case.

Why's that?
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Methusalen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:29 am

Motto: ""Not good enough for G1!""
If they had ONLY used the air freshener in the movie, I don't think this would be an issue. Maybe a nice "Thank you" to her in the credits for the use of the air freshener would've been nice...

So, while her own buisness of her Bee-otch air fresheners might have gone up a bit because of the movie, I think the issue here is that Hasbro/Dreamworks/whomever are now making (or licensing out) "Bee-otch" air fresheners of their own, and not going through her company to make them, so she's losing out on all the profits from THOSE air fresheners...

I'm pretty sure that this is the air freshener in question is the same one I received from a paramount rep. ("Agent X") a while back after helping out with the "StopSectorSeven" Buzznet page...
PARAMOUNT LOGO, HASBRO LOGO, TransformersMovie.com, DreamWorks logo
Copywright (c) 2007 DreamWorks LLC and Paramount Pictures. All Rights Reserved.
Hasbro, Transformers, and all related characters are trademarks of Hasbro (c)2007. All Rights Reserved.

I wish her the best of luck with her lawsuit, and while I don't know if $850k is the right amount, I hopes she gets what she should have otherwise in royalties...
Methusalen out...
Methusalen
Combiner
News Credits: 38

Postby Sylus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:56 pm

I hope she wins because I DO remember seeing that Air Freshener before the movie ever came out. I think it's unfair the way her reputation has been pushed down to "copy cat" or "replica salesperson" and it will probably take a lot for her to get back to norm if this falls through.
:WRECK: :BOT: :WRECK: :BOT: :WRECK: :BOT: :WRECK: :BOT: :WRECK: :BOT: :WRECK:
TFs for trade, let me know if you have any of the ones I want or if you're interested in the ones I have.
http://seibertron.com/energonpub/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=36106

Looking for Energon Swords, Energon Axes and Energon Spears from the Energon Omnicon and Terrorcons, please PM me if you can help me.
Sylus
Banned

Postby Moonbase2 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 pm

Burn wrote:
Moonbase2 wrote:I don't think she really has a case.

Why's that?

From what I understand, they haven't mass produced them for profits. Her version is continuing to be sold, but without their logo, right? Wasn't the one with the logo for promotion purposes only and not sold? I guess if this is the case, she could lay claim to money, but don't know if it would mess with her own profits.

This is from my understanding.
Moonbase2
Godmaster
News Credits: 2

Postby Auto Bot » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:18 am

I was not aware that the TF production made and sold their own version of Bee-otch.

In that case, they should be sued big time. The original designer should win the case and get a multi-million dollar payment.
Auto Bot
God Of Transformers

Postby Dran0n » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:32 pm

That's stupid.
Dran0n
Micromaster

Postby zorian » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:12 pm

It depends where she is based out of. In many (all? I"m a little vague) places in the US if you know about a copyright infringement and fail to do something about it you lose the copyright.

The issue is the fact the Studio makes/licenses out an altered version of her product without permission, not that it was used in the movie.
zorian
Fuzor

Postby CJH » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:23 pm

That is pretty bad.. what with all of the product placement in the film, couldn't they have just done the same for the air freshener??
Seeing that in the film made me go out and buy a mug with the logo on it too! lol

They are going to feel pretty stupid, a successfully film in trouble over an Air Freshener...
CJH
Minibot

Postby Uber Galvatron » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:58 am

Uh-oh!
If some bee-otch is suing the movie over an air freshner.
Then Primus will sue The Movie over mis-use of his creations. (Including the Decepticons)

Newest figures:
- RoTF Starscream
- Animated Snarl
- Animated Swindle
- RoTF Demolishor
Uber Galvatron
Minibot

Postby AxiomScion » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:36 pm

Dran0n wrote:
Auto Bot wrote:I was not aware that the TF production made and sold their own version of Bee-otch.

In that case, they should be sued big time. The original designer should win the case and get a multi-million dollar payment.
That's stupid.

Yeah I thought so too, but if she did win the case... :-?

-Cost of legal fees
-All profits of TF produced Bee-otch freshener
-Possibly profits from all merchandise using the logo
-A PR royalties or 'I'm sorry' check

This could easily grouse the TF production company a multi-million dollar payment :-B
AxiomScion
Gestalt Team Leader

Previous

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKID-Z Transformers RID Robots In Disguise Deluxe Basic complete 2001 230821A"
SKID-Z Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MONOCLE Transformers Cybertron Mini-Con complete + instructions 2005 190615a"
MONOCLE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ENERGON MEGATRON Transformers Legacy United Core Class Hasbro 2024 New"
ENERGON MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCRACKER + ZAPMASTER Transformers Armada Max-Con complete 2003 231102A"
THUNDERCRACKER + Z ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SMOKESCREEN Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Food Premium 2002 211006A"
SMOKESCREEN Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Warrior Class ENERGON AXE ATTACK OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cyberverse 2018 New"
Warrior Class ENER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STEAMHAMMER Transformers Energon Combat complete + card 2005 Powerlinx 230427A"
STEAMHAMMER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cybertron Burger King Fast Food Premium 2005 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WILDRIDER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Stunticon Menasor Hasbro 2022 New"
WILDRIDER Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Mini-Con DUALOR Transformers Armada complete 2002 Destruction Team 190613a"
Mini-Con DUALOR Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SOUNDWAVE Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 230719A"
SOUNDWAVE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ENERGON #20 Dreamwave Comics DW 2004 (W) Furman (A/CA) Guidi"
Transformers ENERG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RED ALERT Transformers Cybertron Burger King Fast Food Premium 2005 211006A"
RED ALERT Transfor ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Galvatronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Skrapnel" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Tra Rid Warrior Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight 1-Step Turbo Changer Cogman" on AMAZON