Transformers News: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging

Tuesday, May 31st, 2011 1:25PM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Knock Offs
Posted by: Razorclaw0000   Views: 56,377

Every now and again, we at Seibertron.com are notified of an upcoming Knock Off of a rare or expensive figure, and want to take the time to warn our members to exercise some caution when purchasing vintage pieces.

This time, it appears that a new batch of highly authentic looking Cassettetrons are about to be released, sporting very accurate package reproductions. It appears that Japanese exclusive Dial and Zaur, as well as Raindance, Grand Slam, Beastbox, and Squawktalk have been reproduced. As always, we encourage you to do extensive research when preparing to purchase a rare or expensive figure to ensure you are purchasing what you believe you're purchasing.

Click the above images for more details over at KOToys.com.

Seibertron.com does not condone the actions of bootleg and knockoff toy makers and are providing this message as a courtesy and warning to our members.
Credit(s): _mixmaster_, KOToys
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231182)
Posted by gothsaurus on May 31st, 2011 @ 1:58pm CDT
I'm glad someone is finally making these... if not Takara or Hasbro, then SOMEBODY. Been waiting a good decade. :APPLAUSE:
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231186)
Posted by ae_productions on May 31st, 2011 @ 2:03pm CDT
PURE WIN!!

These have been holy grail pieces for me for years. Just could never afford the outrageous price tag. Once again, Takara is too busy producing their 6th MP Convoy and crappy movie toys then to produce new or reissue old unreleased toys (unreleased to the USA). Takara dropped the ball again.

So happy we live in an age where there are options OUTSIDE of Takara and Hasbro.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231187)
Posted by Amelie on May 31st, 2011 @ 2:11pm CDT
[color=deeppink]I think its jumping the gun to assume that Takara will never reissue these figures.

They probably won't now the market has been flooded with KOs, though. How many people are gonna pay twice for something if they were prepared to own a KO in the first place?[/color]
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231191)
Posted by TheCrookedMan on May 31st, 2011 @ 2:17pm CDT
Derrick Wyatt's gotta be psyched about this.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231192)
Posted by gothsaurus on May 31st, 2011 @ 2:19pm CDT

I'm trying to remember if that's actually EVER happened to me, though. *hurts brain thinking* :-?
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231279)
Posted by Flux Convoy on May 31st, 2011 @ 3:51pm CDT
gothsaurus wrote:As a rule, I WILL always get the official figure if and when HasTak releases it, even if I've gotten a quality KO.

It's happened to me once with the high quality KO Ratbat and Frenzy(?, the blue cassette) two pack. I bought the Encores of them because official product will always win out. I had assumed, along with a large number of the fandom, that the Rumble and Frenzy molds were gone for good. I always wanted Rumble as a kid from the cartoon. Call him Frenzy all you like, he'll always be Rumble to me. So I bought the KOs.
:BOT:
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231348)
Posted by Blackstreak on May 31st, 2011 @ 5:11pm CDT
I've always wanted a set of Dinocassettes. I may still not pick them up though, got more important things to buy.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231356)
Posted by billprestonesquire on May 31st, 2011 @ 5:29pm CDT
Amelie wrote:[color=deeppink]*sighs* Getting Overkill to go with Slugfest is going to be a minefield now.

I don't mind KOs, but its when they're packaged in replica boxes\backing cards that I get annoyed. I know a lot of people like the KOs because of this, but its starting to make vintage collecting a dangerous, depressing affair.

We all know it won't be long before people start adding wear and crumpling the boxes, or deliberatly sunfading a bit to disguise it further as well.[/color]

i agree, this totally blows. i'm happy that people will now be able to afford the Dinos because the aftermarket prices are way out of control, but i do wish that they would change the packaging and toys just a little bit. i only buy originals unless it's a completely new design or size (like the Perfect Effect Reflector or iGear Mini MP Primes). things like this make it so much harder to purchase anything, especially when it's a very, very high priced item and on Ebay where you can't examine it closely with your own eyes. oh well, crap happens.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231365)
Posted by Crisdecal on May 31st, 2011 @ 5:56pm CDT
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Friggin'. Sweet.

I might not buy them from KO Toys, but these bad boys will definately be mine when they're released. But I think I'll still get a vintige BeastBox and GrandSlam instead of the KOs of those.

If your going to buy them you might as well buy them from kotoys because the owner of the site is the one whose having the cassettes Koed. The guy's planning on selling the dino cassettes at about $40.00 + shipping a set. Wait 'till a scalper gets there hands on some and you'll be lucky if you find them for less than $100.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231367)
Posted by billprestonesquire on May 31st, 2011 @ 6:00pm CDT
Crisdecal wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Friggin'. Sweet.

Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231387)
Posted by Mkall on May 31st, 2011 @ 7:01pm CDT
I am disappointed they're going with KOs of the Packaging along with the figures.

I'm still going to get the Dinocassettes though.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231394)
Posted by LOST Cybertronian on May 31st, 2011 @ 7:26pm CDT
billprestonesquire wrote:i agree, if you are going to get them, why wouldn't you buy them direct from KO Toys?

There are a million reasons not to buy from KO Toys...
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231409)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on May 31st, 2011 @ 7:49pm CDT
billprestonesquire wrote:
Crisdecal wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Friggin'. Sweet.

At the time KO Toys was giving me some problems with an order and I was feeling frustrated.

But those problems have been cleared up, so I guess I'll give KO Toys another shot. However, I doubt this is a "KO Toys exclucive". Many people sell these sort of knock ofs.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231417)
Posted by Stormrider on May 31st, 2011 @ 7:57pm CDT

I was lucky years ago to find & buy Dairu loose with his guns in Japanese manga shop. the remaining dino cassettes have been on the top of my list to find.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231439)
Posted by billprestonesquire on May 31st, 2011 @ 8:38pm CDT
LOST Cybertronian wrote:

There are a million reasons not to buy from KO Toys...

well, thanks for clearing that up for me. your answer makes so much sense.

Gauntlet101010 wrote:
billprestonesquire wrote:
Crisdecal wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Friggin'. Sweet.

now that actually makes sense.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231465)
Posted by Amelie on May 31st, 2011 @ 9:28pm CDT
Stormrider wrote:I've wondered if the KO dino cassettes have been around for a little bit. I thought they were rare but I am surprised to see a few every month on eBay MIB.

This. Doesn't anyone remember the KO Cyclonus? That went a while undetected.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231517)
Posted by robofreak on May 31st, 2011 @ 10:46pm CDT
The problem I'm seeing on these is that the Packaging sample looks worn like what you'd expect from a vintage box. If this is the case then the vintage market is in trouble.

billprestonesquire wrote:
LOST Cybertronian wrote:

There are a million reasons not to buy from KO Toys...

well, thanks for clearing that up for me. your answer makes so much sense.

A little research would show you that that makes perfect sense.

I've heard so many horror stories about buying from them that I avoid them. hey got a couple things I want for some customs, but dealing with them is not worth the trouble.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231565)
Posted by billprestonesquire on June 1st, 2011 @ 3:13am CDT
robofreak wrote:

billprestonesquire wrote:
LOST Cybertronian wrote:

There are a million reasons not to buy from KO Toys...

well, thanks for clearing that up for me. your answer makes so much sense.

A little research would show you that that makes perfect sense.

well now, that IS an actual answer that makes sense and explains something.

i have done much "research" and "studying" on vintage toys but mostly on all things Pre-TF's. it's all explained in my personal collection thread down below. i APOLOGIZE that i haven't researched everything there is to know about toy collecting and KO's in general. i don't really buy KO replicas that often except the iGear Primes, Perfect Effect Reflector, and Junkion Blacksmith Headmaster Prime (and the last two aren't really replicas, more like 3rd party figures). SO, i wouldn't have really had the opportunity to "research" KO Toys. i posed a question and you initially gave a non-answer.

don't misunderstand the sarcasm, i do appreciate the clarification. it's just that you first answer explained nothing.
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231593)
Posted by ausbot on June 1st, 2011 @ 5:43am CDT
Has/tak should have reissued these with the other cassettes, And i cannot afford the originals so it looks like this is my only chance of owning these!
Re: Buyer Beware: KO Dinocassettes and Cassette Combiners in Vintage Style Packaging (1231692)
Posted by LOST Cybertronian on June 1st, 2011 @ 10:44am CDT
billprestonesquire wrote:
LOST Cybertronian wrote:

There are a million reasons not to buy from KO Toys...

well, thanks for clearing that up for me. your answer makes so much sense.

Let's just say that KO should stand for Krazy Owner.

Ending Soon On eBay

Vintage 1984 G1 Transformers Megatron Walther P38 - Time Remaining: 3 days 55 minutes 43 seconds
Transformers Movie 2007 Japan exclusive variant Black Arcee Allspark-Brand New- - Time Remaining: 2 days 14 hours 41 minutes 41 seconds
Transformers PRIME CYBERVERSE LEGION ARCEE MOSC SEALED 2011 RARE - Time Remaining: 3 days 23 hours 57 minutes 1 second
Transformers G1 Lot Abominus Combiner Terrorcon Figures 1986 Vinitage Toys - Time Remaining: 3 days 4 hours 14 minutes
Transformers G1 Lot Six Changer Sixshot Figure With Guns 1986 Vinitage Toys - Time Remaining: 3 days 3 hours 28 minutes 50 seconds
Vintage 1984 G1 Transformers Autobot Wheeljack - Time Remaining: 3 days 29 minutes 56 seconds
Transformers G1 1984 OPTIMUS PRIME cab hasbro takara - Time Remaining: 3 days 5 hours 15 minutes 16 seconds
Transformers G1 Lot Super Go Bot Warpath MIB Vintage Collection 1980s toys - Time Remaining: 2 days 9 hours 45 minutes 26 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #148 - And Rom The Space Knight
"And Rom The Space Knight"
Posted: Monday, June 27th, 2016