Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line

Transformers News: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line

Saturday, July 16th, 2011 7:39AM CDT

Categories: Live Action Movie News, Toy News, Sponsor News
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 51,050

Site Sponsor Kapow Toys has announced on their Facebook page that they will no-longer support the Transformers Dark of the Moon line. Here's what they had to say:
Sadly we're not going to carry on supporting the DOTM line due to a number of factors - 1) Extremely poor UK distribution at wholesale level - meaning some retailers are still waiting on wave 1 item 2) Poor case assortments 3) Slow sales 4) Larger chains doing deals with which we cannot begin to compete 5) No notification or sales info on upcoming products.

However, they will continue to support the following DOTM items:
We will however continue to support the DOTM Human Alliance line, Leaders and the Takara Tomy exclusives. If you want anything clarified or any questions asked send us an email at contact@kapowtoys.co.uk :)
Credit(s): Ravage XK, Kapow Toys,

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260185)
Posted by Mykltron on July 16th, 2011 @ 7:50am CDT
So much for Hasbro improving things for us.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260191)
Posted by Autobot032 on July 16th, 2011 @ 8:02am CDT
I understand their POV. If the line isn't selling well here in the US, I can't even begin to imagine what kind of damage it's doing to the pegs and shelves over in the UK.

Some US locales are doing well, but for the most part, these things warm so much, you could fry a steak on the shelf.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260193)
Posted by Primeultimus on July 16th, 2011 @ 8:24am CDT

Consider this. Would you rather buy a case with 2 Wheeljack , 2 Thundercracker , 2 Warpath , 1 Scourge , and 1 Kup or a case of DOTM Rehashes that no one likes or has any nolstagic value. The collectors have made their choice and the kids just do not care about overly complicated Transformers that look like Gorillabot Jumbled messes. Most of my friends kids prefer the Classics figures as they actually look like PEOPLE rather then Monkeybots! I was watching the G2 Transformers toy commercials and thought to myself how awesome it would of been to get a CGI based G1 cartoon or movie. When I see Bayformers movies I just think to myself man not more shiny cinematography and crappy GM vehicle designs that makes no sense.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260200)
Posted by CrimsonPrime on July 16th, 2011 @ 8:38am CDT
Primeultimus wrote:Everywhere I go I see DOTM toys just sitting there. No one wants them. Walgreens and Toys R Us are both running buy 1 get 1 half off and they just sit there. Meanwhile the RTS and Generations stuff is flying off the shelves minus Skullgrin and Thunderwing. I cannot go to a store to find Generations stuff and when friends find it locally by the time I get there it is gone. I think Hasbro should focus on the great Wave they currently have with Generations as I know every figure just about is sought after.

LMFAO !! What you said totally contradicts the situation here at Malaysia. Here at Malaysia theres ALOT of generations stuff just hanging around warming the shelves. While DOTM toys keep dissapearing one by one. Seriously I think the DOTM line is awesome. And since when the Bayverse look like monkeybots? Say do you even know what a MONKEY is? I bet you dont. Either that or you just have poor eyesight.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260204)
Posted by theraffia on July 16th, 2011 @ 8:59am CDT
Good. Terrible line save for a few gems. I'm sick of seeing 5000000 bumblebees on the shelf and no laserbeak, thundercracker, HA roadbuster, space case, or leader Ironhide.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260212)
Posted by Pot Bot on July 16th, 2011 @ 9:19am CDT
I was speaking to Andy from Kapow on the phone last week, and he keeps getting this done to him, for example Toys r Us basically stole the last shipment Hasbro sent out to the smaller retailers because they admitted that they were outselling DOTM massively.

As ive just posted on another site, talking to managers of toy shops, they all thought after the rts/gens lines that Transformers was gonna be a huge seller this summer, so they stocked up on as much as they could get, and its become almost impossible to make anything on them, whereas they mostly admit they could double the price on the Gens line and still have them fly off the shelves.

To which end ive totally given up on hunting now, if im near a shop, ill pop in, but i havent bought anything from a shop in well over a month, whereas ive bought about 25 from the tintersnet in the same period!

READ AND TAKE IN HASBRO!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260217)
Posted by Primeultimus on July 16th, 2011 @ 9:24am CDT
CrimsonPrime wrote:

Definition of a Monkey Bot.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... 2136/1/42/

Really long arms looks like Guerilla. Overly detailed. Unfriendly face. Non humanoid looking Transformers all look like monkey bots. Notice the small torso and long arms.

If you want I can dig up some more pics of these Bayformers Monstrocities!
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260226)
Posted by ephbot on July 16th, 2011 @ 9:53am CDT
Primeultimus wrote:
Definition of a Monkey Bot.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... 2136/1/42/

If you want I can dig up some more pics of these Bayformers Monstrocities!

Definition of Monkey Bot = Optimus Primal. QED.

You can show yourself the pictures.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260228)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on July 16th, 2011 @ 9:57am CDT
ephbot wrote:
Primeultimus wrote:
Definition of a Monkey Bot.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... 2136/1/42/

If you want I can dig up some more pics of these Bayformers Monstrocities!

Definition of Monkey Bot = Optimus Primal. QED.

You can show yourself the pictures.

yeah, that bot is no monkey bot. that would be primal.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260230)
Posted by craggy on July 16th, 2011 @ 10:02am CDT
still supporting the HA line? I hope that includes the HA basics. I don't want to have to rely on Argos.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260231)
Posted by Lord Onixprime on July 16th, 2011 @ 10:04am CDT
The case assortments are horrible for this line. Like every wave has a case with 2 Bumblebee/Optimus and one of each other toy. There is already a ton of shelf warming and the movie has been out for weeks. This line is flopping hard. Nothing is moving off the shelves and I've got to think that is because most people already have most of these characters. Parents who already bought their kids Optimus Prime and Bumblebee and all the other movie characters the last time around, aren't looking at buying them again.

Transformers movies aren't keeping the toyline going anymore. It's time for something new. Just like Generation 1, a series can only last so long before interest is lost.

Here is to hoping they bump up the release of Prime because of this, and cancel the movie line where it is. Right now there is no hope of finding anything new because the shelves are clogged with wave 1 figures that aren't moving.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260234)
Posted by Primeultimus on July 16th, 2011 @ 10:09am CDT
ephbot wrote:
Primeultimus wrote:
Definition of a Monkey Bot.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... 2136/1/42/

If you want I can dig up some more pics of these Bayformers Monstrocities!

Definition of Monkey Bot = Optimus Primal. QED.

You can show yourself the pictures.

I am going by what my friends and I go by. I despise Michael Bay and his stupid ugly horrid Transformers.

G1 Classics for life!
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260239)
Posted by ephbot on July 16th, 2011 @ 10:20am CDT
Dear Fandom,

Can we stop having the same discussions over again? "BAYFORMERZ SUKK" is not that far removed from "ANIMATED=TEEN TITANS" which itself is only a hop and a skip from "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY". Some of you only like G1. Wonderful. Others like some variety in our transforming-robots.

In the end, they're toy robots. That transform. From one thing to another.

Get over it.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260244)
Posted by TheMuffin on July 16th, 2011 @ 10:28am CDT
Let's try to keep the bickering to a minimum folks. If you want to debate the aesthetics of a certain line there are other areas of the forum for that.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260246)
Posted by rpetras on July 16th, 2011 @ 10:32am CDT
Primeultimus wrote:Definition of a Monkey Bot.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... 2136/1/42/

If you want I can dig up some more pics of these Bayformers Monstrocities!

Hailstorm is no monkey, he is just stocky, be nice. ;)

If you don't have the figure, I actually quite recommend him. He has a fun transform and a lot of posability.

I actually keep a pair of him, his repaint, and a few of the movie line Armorhide figures & his repaints with my Classics Hound as Hound's military squad.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260247)
Posted by Alex Jones on July 16th, 2011 @ 10:33am CDT
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260251)
Posted by Pot Bot on July 16th, 2011 @ 10:40am CDT
Lousy_Autobot_Lover wrote:Glad I don't live in the UK. The economy must be really bad over there based on what I hear on the news.

I dont think bad covers it. I dont even think i can us the language that would describe our economy atm.

As for Hailstorm, my partner bought him for me from smyths in a buy 2 get 1 free deal, and he was the best of the rest as it were, i was really surprised how good he was, just wish Mindset had a nicer colour scheme, i wouldve bought him in a flash then.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260267)
Posted by Midnight_Fox on July 16th, 2011 @ 11:13am CDT

Personally, I'd rather see the DotM rehashes as I've already had the complete Generations line since May.
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260293)
Posted by sabrigami on July 16th, 2011 @ 11:55am CDT
Wow, my heart goes out to all the UK collectors out there, I knew it was bad for you guys but now it's getting worse. It just...sucks :-(

After reading this article, and watching the trends TFs have taken in the past year, I've come to the conclusion that Hasbro really needs to take a good long look at how they're doing things now. The way Hasbro is timing and trying to create artificial demand for toys is really doing a lot of damage in my opinion. I can remember back to when the Gen/ RtS line where (aparently) running side by side. Because of all the Shelfwarmers the HftD line and some of the early waves of gen. had, my area had maybe 2 or 3 shipments of the first wave of RtS (only at Wm not TRU). Never any past that. Now with news of some new waves of Gen. I'm worried that after all that the stores in my area will take a pass on them.

Now part of that is the retailers fault, It's up to them what they order from Hasbro and put on the shelves. But the way Habsro seems to be saturating stores with shelf warmers in every case and the timing Hasbro is choosing to release things I understand why retailers are not ordering a lot of new things. with so many sub lines and Dual lines at the same time it just really makes a mess of the shelves and stock. I honestly can't help but point the finger to Hasbro on this one. They really need to clean up and simplify their lines (especially when it comes to BB and OP). Less is more imo. I just worry about the future distribution of TFs (especially in regards to Prime). With how slow a lot of TF stock seems to move in my area we don't get new things for months sometimes and I don't want to wait longer than I have to already.

Yeah, this was a bit long winded, but this is a very concerning topic for me. I'm not big on Dotm Toys (last one I want is Lazerbeak) so for me rest of the year is shot until Prime hits shelves. I Know that's really because of my choice, but it seems to me everybody is coasting by this year and waiting until next year before they put out good things( movies especially). Yeah, I'm a bit disgruntled with TFs this year, can you tell? :P
Re: Kapow Toys to drop DOTM line (1260301)
Posted by Ravage XK on July 16th, 2011 @ 12:05pm CDT
Hmm, perhaps people should have seen this coming. A few years back I used to walk into TRU and there would always be something to make me want to part with my cash. For a while now I have gone in, seen the same old stuff and walked out. Only a few of the movie toys have really caught my eye and most of those were the leader class figures and the larger HA figures, most recently Jazz.

In the last year or so, I've put more money into the Generations line and 3rd party toys. Thinking about it, that tells me that something has gone wrong with the movie lines. Having said that, Im a collector not a kid playing with them so maybe my view isnt in sync with Hasbro who are in the business of selling toys to kids who seem to love Bumblebee or at least Hasbro think they do. We collectors are not the priority.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Ehobby G1 Shattered Glass YELLOW EJECT / REWIND (Soundwave Blaster) - Time Remaining: 2 days 4 hours 7 minutes 13 seconds
Transformers G1 Victory Dai Atlas C-888 Zone Victory (NON-Takara) - Time Remaining: 2 days 10 hours 52 minutes 11 seconds
Transformers Ehobby G1 Shattered Glass BLUE RATBAT (from Soundwave / Blaster) - Time Remaining: 2 days 4 hours 7 minutes 14 seconds
Transformers MP-10 Masterpiece TRU Optimus Prime piece/part - ROLLER - Time Remaining: 8 days 18 hours 52 minutes 15 seconds
Transformers CUSTOM G1 Decepticon Nightwatch JETFIRE Macross Robotech Valkryie - Time Remaining: 2 days 5 hours 7 minutes 19 seconds
Transformers Prime Weaponizer Optimus Prime Figure Robots in Disguise w Lights - Time Remaining: 2 days 12 hours 12 minutes 53 seconds
GLOW WST World Smallest Transformers G1 Starscream Dirge Ramjet jet seeker SET - Time Remaining: 1 day 22 hours 27 minutes 48 seconds
MUSIC LABEL SOUNDWAVE TRANSFORMERS MP3 PLAYER BLUE VERSION TAKARA SOUND WAVE - Time Remaining: 2 days 19 hours 26 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #156 - Gestalt Theory