Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California?

Transformers News: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California?

Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013 8:19PM CDT

Category: Event News
Posted by: LOST Cybertronian   Views: 20,368

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

A quick call by Seibertron member First Gen to the Pasadena Sheraton reveals to us that BotCon 2014 could possibly be held at the Pasadena Convention Center in Pasadena, CA in June according to the Sheraton employees. Speculation was that it would be held in Pasadena again since 2014 is a movie year just like 2009 and 2011 (Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon), although the June 2014 event dates have yet to be posted on the Pasadena Convention Center website. There is also a discounted hotel block at the Sheraton in June. The phone number to the Pasadena Sheraton is 626-449-4000 or 888-627-8670 for hotel reservations.

Note this has not been confirmed by Fun Publications. Stay tuned to Seibertron.com and we will update you when we receive official confirmation.

BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California?
Credit(s): Sheraton Pasadena
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515655)
Posted by Mindmaster on September 3rd, 2013 @ 8:34pm CDT
Was juuuust reading about this over at TFW2005, and was thinking about writing up a report. :lol:

Ugh, will BotCon ever leave California again? Seriously, I'd like to go for once and not have to sell a kidney. :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515658)
Posted by First Gen on September 3rd, 2013 @ 8:49pm CDT
Behold, the Return of First Gen to Botcon!!
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515659)
Posted by Emerje on September 3rd, 2013 @ 8:51pm CDT
Bah, really wanted this to be in RI again since it's the 30th anniversary. Seemed like the perfect chance for another Hasbro tour.

Emerje
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515660)
Posted by Sabrblade on September 3rd, 2013 @ 8:52pm CDT
Image

:BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515661)
Posted by Down_Shift on September 3rd, 2013 @ 9:07pm CDT
Well, I jumped and got a room. Big thanks going out Steve on the Facebooks for giving my Canadian ass the heads up!

Finally making a comeback after four long years!
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515666)
Posted by Mkall on September 3rd, 2013 @ 9:25pm CDT
Signed up! Mkall is going to Botcon 2014!

Edit: First Gen and Down_Shift? This is gonna be off da chain!
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515667)
Posted by harvester on September 3rd, 2013 @ 9:37pm CDT
Booked. If they have the reservation block, this has got to be real. The hotel staff is confirming as well. Only thing that would suck would be if this is just one of the places you can stay, but the convention this time is somewhere else.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515668)
Posted by phase on September 3rd, 2013 @ 9:38pm CDT
I LIVE in LA, and even I'm tired of BotCon on the West Coast.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515669)
Posted by Air Commander Starscream on September 3rd, 2013 @ 9:39pm CDT
I'm down for Pasadena again. Only a 12 or so hour drive.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515673)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on September 3rd, 2013 @ 10:05pm CDT
For those of us on the east coast, may I just say :sad:
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515676)
Posted by Seibertron on September 3rd, 2013 @ 10:14pm CDT
Hm ... if you go to this URL

http://calendar.pasadenacenter.com/iebms/coe/coe_p2_details.aspx?eventid=12129&sessionid=fa4fc4ej7eiofhnfd6

You'll see they had a general two week date range for this year's BotCon, which was not in Pasadena. I wonder if they put in a tentative date reservation but obviously didn't end up using those dates there. If the link above doesn't work for you, just go to their calendar and change the event id in the URL to 12129 but keep your sessionid.

Pasadena Convention Center wrote:Transformers Convention (BOTCON) 2013 Add To Outlook Calendar


Date: Monday, 06/17/13 07:00 AM - Wednesday, 06/26/13 11:59

To The Public
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515677)
Posted by ScottyP on September 3rd, 2013 @ 10:15pm CDT
I'd love an East Coast location, but, really, selfishly...

:sits in hotel room in CA to write this post:

I'm out here once a month or so anyhow. Can easily tie a business trip into it. Let's do it!
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515681)
Posted by Seibertron on September 3rd, 2013 @ 10:22pm CDT
As much as I'd love to have BotCon here in Chicago again, I think it would be more beneficial to the convention if they would just pick a place and keep it there. I think Pasadena is a really good location. It certainly makes for an entertaining BotCon having it be so close to so many things Transformers related. Take off your selfish "i want it in my city!" hats for a moment and tell me one other place in the country that can offer ALL of this ...

  • Universal Studios Transformers Ride
  • Activision located in California
  • High Moon Studios located in California
  • IDW is located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers movies are located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers cartoons are located in California
  • Hasbro Studios is located in California
  • Paramount is located in California
  • Shout Factory is located in California
  • Loyal Subjects is located in California
  • Closer location for our international fans from Australia and Asia
  • Lower shipping costs for Fun Pub to move products from shipping docks to convention center (assuming they have these timed properly and don't have to ship them twice)
  • More Transformers fans than any other state! The traffic Seibertron.com receives from California (#1) is just under the amount from Texas (#2) and New York (#3) combined!

Keeping it in the same place every year also has a few other advantages ...

  • Enables Fun Pub to build a better relationship with the convention center
  • Enables Fun Pub to learn the ropes of the location better
  • Enables us to know where we have to fly to every year
  • Enables us to become more familiar with the various hotel locations so we can find the places that best suit our needs
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515682)
Posted by First Gen on September 3rd, 2013 @ 10:24pm CDT
FYI, 2009 was the 25th anniversary and release of RotF.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515685)
Posted by njb902 on September 3rd, 2013 @ 10:28pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:As much as I'd love to have BotCon here in Chicago again, I think it would be more beneficial to the convention if they would just pick a place and keep it there. I think Pasadena is a really good location. It certainly makes for an entertaining BotCon having it be so close to so many things Transformers related. Take off your selfish "i want it in my city!" hats for a moment and tell me one other place in the country that can offer ALL of this ...

  • Universal Studios Transformers Ride
  • Activision located in California
  • High Moon Studios located in California
  • IDW is located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers movies are located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers cartoons are located in California
  • Hasbro Studios is located in California
  • Paramount is located in California
  • Shout Factory is located in California
  • Loyal Subjects is located in California
  • Closer location for our international fans from Australia and Asia
  • Lower shipping costs for Fun Pub to move products from shipping docks to convention center (assuming they have these timed properly and don't have to ship them twice)


Yes but I live in Pennsylvania [-(
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515693)
Posted by morphobots on September 3rd, 2013 @ 11:29pm CDT
njb902 wrote:
Seibertron wrote:As much as I'd love to have BotCon here in Chicago again, I think it would be more beneficial to the convention if they would just pick a place and keep it there. I think Pasadena is a really good location. It certainly makes for an entertaining BotCon having it be so close to so many things Transformers related. Take off your selfish "i want it in my city!" hats for a moment and tell me one other place in the country that can offer ALL of this ...

  • Universal Studios Transformers Ride
  • Activision located in California
  • High Moon Studios located in California
  • IDW is located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers movies are located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers cartoons are located in California
  • Hasbro Studios is located in California
  • Paramount is located in California
  • Shout Factory is located in California
  • Loyal Subjects is located in California
  • Closer location for our international fans from Australia and Asia
  • Lower shipping costs for Fun Pub to move products from shipping docks to convention center (assuming they have these timed properly and don't have to ship them twice)


Yes but I live in Pennsylvania [-(


Seconded, even though I don't live in Pennsylvania. The last con I was able to attend was in 2004, and even then and previous to that the only way I was able to afford attending was to sell my exclusives as soon as I came home. Seibertron makes many valid points about California, but (puts on selfish hat) I live in a podunk town in northern Indiana where I'm the town weirdo for my hobby. I'd really like to be able to talk face-to-face again with people who understand what I enjoy.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515694)
Posted by Seibertron on September 3rd, 2013 @ 11:33pm CDT
morphobots wrote:Seconded, even though I don't live in Pennsylvania. The last con I was able to attend was in 2004, and even then and previous to that the only way I was able to afford attending was to sell my exclusives as soon as I came home. Seibertron makes many valid points about California, but (puts on selfish hat) I live in a podunk town in northern Indiana where I'm the town weirdo for my hobby. I'd really like to be able to talk face-to-face again with people who understand what I enjoy.


Are you opposed to flying to California? If BotCon is indeed in June 2014 you bought your plane ticket next May, you'd only have to save $50 per month for the next 8 months to afford a $400 plane ticket, which is the only extra expense if BotCon were in California versus being within 6 hours of wherever you live.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515697)
Posted by morphobots on September 3rd, 2013 @ 11:48pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:
morphobots wrote:Seconded, even though I don't live in Pennsylvania. The last con I was able to attend was in 2004, and even then and previous to that the only way I was able to afford attending was to sell my exclusives as soon as I came home. Seibertron makes many valid points about California, but (puts on selfish hat) I live in a podunk town in northern Indiana where I'm the town weirdo for my hobby. I'd really like to be able to talk face-to-face again with people who understand what I enjoy.


Are you opposed to flying to California? If BotCon is indeed in June 2014 you bought your plane ticket next May, you'd only have to save $50 per month for the next 8 months to afford a $400 plane ticket, which is the only extra expense if BotCon were in California versus being within 6 hours of wherever you live.


Not so much opposed to flying to California as dealing with the fact I now work 2 jobs thanks to the recession, one of which gives me less than 15 hours of vacation time a year. It simply would be easier for me to drive to Chicago, Rosemont, Cincinnati, or Indianapolis for a day on the weekend. As you said, selfish, I agree. But sometimes you can't help feeling that way.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515704)
Posted by Antron on September 4th, 2013 @ 12:54am CDT
I'll say it. Ef California. I hope they get "The Big One" and CA falls off the map. I guess it's my fault. I didn't go when it was in Kentucky and it's done nothing but move farther away from me. Every year I say to myself, "BotCon moves every year. This is going to be the year I get to go." Now Cali is double dipping. Come on guys. You have fans in the rest of the country too. They might as well have it in Japan at this point. What's the point of going to BotCon when you've spent your whole budget just getting there?
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515709)
Posted by njb902 on September 4th, 2013 @ 1:18am CDT
Antron wrote:I'll say it. Ef California. I hope they get "The Big One" and CA falls off the map. I guess it's my fault. I didn't go when it was in Kentucky and it's done nothing but move farther away from me. Every year I say to myself, "BotCon moves every year. This is going to be the year I get to go." Now Cali is double dipping. Come on guys. You have fans in the rest of the country too. They might as well have it in Japan at this point. What's the point of going to BotCon when you've spent your whole budget just getting there?


That's ridiculous.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515712)
Posted by MR Optimus Prime on September 4th, 2013 @ 1:40am CDT
Most fans are tired of this being in the same place as SDCC only ONE week prior when Hasbro saves all the huge TF Reveals for SDCC anyway. It is not for the benefit of TF fans. Put BOTCON on the east coast for people who can't get out there, because TF fans can just go to SDCC and see the EXACT same and MORE reveals at SDCC.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515713)
Posted by Regimus Prime on September 4th, 2013 @ 1:50am CDT
Everything is right in the universe! I waited for Bot Con to land in California for so long before 2009. For years it was this myth, this legend that I had heard about in Rhode Island, Georgia and other places I couldn't find any other reason to visit. Then lightning (and a little help from Hollywood) struck three times, and possibly a fourth. The fact is Bot Con is definitely in the marketing Mecca here in CA. We're right behind New York City. Look at the success of SDCC. I feel Pasadena is perfect once again especially with all of the industry promo events that'll be going on for TF4. Now all I gotta do is put aside the gas money to drive an hour and a half north from San Diego. :BOT:
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515721)
Posted by ILL-Star on September 4th, 2013 @ 2:58am CDT
I'm unpleasantly not surprised. This is MACHKICK $#!@.

And for anyone who says that it should just stay in CA. The fact is that not all TF fans live in or close enough to CA. Plane tickets are expensive, then you have to pay for the nights at the hotel which despite any discount they may give, always turns out to be quite expensive. And on top of that, there are many who just can't make the time. Botcon has a reputation as a traveling convention. If this is what they planned, they should not have held it in CA this year. While I'm not familiar with the difficulties involved with finding a reasonably priced convention center, I don't buy what they've said in the past regarding it. This country is freaking huge and has many convention centers. There has to be some other place besides California that's reasonably priced. :-x
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515750)
Posted by Sabrblade on September 4th, 2013 @ 7:28am CDT
Antron wrote:Now Cali is double dipping.
Quadruple-dipping. Within same six years (four times out of six, with only 2010 and 2012 not being on CA). :BANG_HEAD:

Antron wrote:They might as well have it in Japan at this point.
They have. Twice. ;)

Antron wrote:What's the point of going to BotCon when you've spent your whole budget just getting there?
Image
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515753)
Posted by joevill on September 4th, 2013 @ 7:37am CDT
Have any of you booked your plane tickets and hotel rooms yet?
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515777)
Posted by ScottyP on September 4th, 2013 @ 10:07am CDT
joevill wrote:Have any of you booked your plane tickets and hotel rooms yet?


I thought we were all staying at your place?
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515778)
Posted by Fender Bender on September 4th, 2013 @ 10:08am CDT
Seibertron wrote:As much as I'd love to have BotCon here in Chicago again, I think it would be more beneficial to the convention if they would just pick a place and keep it there. I think Pasadena is a really good location. It certainly makes for an entertaining BotCon having it be so close to so many things Transformers related. Take off your selfish "i want it in my city!" hats for a moment and tell me one other place in the country that can offer ALL of this ...


Have you stopped to consider that this:

More Transformers fans than any other state! The traffic Seibertron.com receives from California (#1) is just under the amount from Texas (#2) and New York (#3) combined!


Is because of all of this:
  • Activision located in California
  • High Moon Studios located in California
  • IDW is located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers movies are located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers cartoons are located in California
  • Hasbro Studios is located in California
  • Paramount is located in California
  • Shout Factory is located in California
  • Loyal Subjects is located in California


Perhaps it's not that California has more Transformers Fans, but that it just has more people paid to actually give a shit about Transformers.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515781)
Posted by ScottyP on September 4th, 2013 @ 10:16am CDT
Fender Bender wrote:
Perhaps it's not that California has more Transformers Fans, but that it just has more people paid to actually give a shit about Transformers.


I highly doubt that the staff of those companies alone is why there's so much traffic. C'mon man. CA has a massive population and a great internet infrastructure, and it's a laid back place so there's tons of time to waste on the internet :)
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515784)
Posted by Fender Bender on September 4th, 2013 @ 10:31am CDT
ScottyP wrote:
Fender Bender wrote:
Perhaps it's not that California has more Transformers Fans, but that it just has more people paid to actually give a shit about Transformers.


I highly doubt that the staff of those companies alone is why there's so much traffic. C'mon man. CA has a massive population and a great internet infrastructure, and it's a laid back place so there's tons of time to waste on the internet :)


Well, you just pointed out the absurdity in both sides of the argument. California may have more time wasters than anything else. Doesn't really transcend into Botcon attendance either way.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515802)
Posted by Metroplex79 on September 4th, 2013 @ 12:46pm CDT
Assuming it is true...at the very least, TFCon will be good substitute for those able to drive from Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York.

Just sayin'.


....or those who don't want to leave the country, there's Charticon.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515803)
Posted by Antron on September 4th, 2013 @ 12:49pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:
Fender Bender wrote:
Perhaps it's not that California has more Transformers Fans, but that it just has more people paid to actually give a shit about Transformers.


I highly doubt that the staff of those companies alone is why there's so much traffic. C'mon man. CA has a massive population and a great internet infrastructure, and it's a laid back place so there's tons of time to waste on the internet :)


The concept of time seems to not exist on the west coast that's for sure. When I lived in LA they loved to coin the phrase, "Everything is due 2 weeks ago Tuesday." I guess when the weather is awesome 9 out of the 12 months you don't feel as guilty about spending your time in front of a screen.

In Ohio I have 3 months of summer if I'm lucky so when it comes to anything Fun in The Sun related I have to cram in as much as I can. Come winter I all but live on the Internet because I hate the cold and loathe snow. Moving west just isn't in my cards now but I'm sure the day I do BotCon will decide to tour the East Coast that decade.

I think I may just give up the BotCon dream and plan for Charticon instead. It seems to be a more than adequate substitute. At the end of the day all I want is to go to a decent TF convention and be with a bunch of people who are as into TFs as I am, if not more.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515809)
Posted by Rated X on September 4th, 2013 @ 1:29pm CDT
I went to Pasadena in 2011 and honestly I thought it kind of sucked. It's like a wanna-be beverly hills. Why must Botcon always be held in 2nd tier tourist cities ? Why cant it ever be in world renowned cities like New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Las Vegas, or Miami ???
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515844)
Posted by LastBloom on September 4th, 2013 @ 3:05pm CDT
morphobots wrote:
njb902 wrote:
Seibertron wrote:As much as I'd love to have BotCon here in Chicago again, I think it would be more beneficial to the convention if they would just pick a place and keep it there. I think Pasadena is a really good location. It certainly makes for an entertaining BotCon having it be so close to so many things Transformers related. Take off your selfish "i want it in my city!" hats for a moment and tell me one other place in the country that can offer ALL of this ...

  • Universal Studios Transformers Ride
  • Activision located in California
  • High Moon Studios located in California
  • IDW is located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers movies are located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers cartoons are located in California
  • Hasbro Studios is located in California
  • Paramount is located in California
  • Shout Factory is located in California
  • Loyal Subjects is located in California
  • Closer location for our international fans from Australia and Asia
  • Lower shipping costs for Fun Pub to move products from shipping docks to convention center (assuming they have these timed properly and don't have to ship them twice)


Yes but I live in Pennsylvania [-(


Seconded, even though I don't live in Pennsylvania. The last con I was able to attend was in 2004, and even then and previous to that the only way I was able to afford attending was to sell my exclusives as soon as I came home. Seibertron makes many valid points about California, but (puts on selfish hat) I live in a podunk town in northern Indiana where I'm the town weirdo for my hobby. I'd really like to be able to talk face-to-face again with people who understand what I enjoy.




What podunk town do you live in? I live in South Bend.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515852)
Posted by harvester on September 4th, 2013 @ 4:22pm CDT
MR Optimus Prime wrote:Most fans are tired of this being in the same place as SDCC only ONE week prior when Hasbro saves all the huge TF Reveals for SDCC anyway. It is not for the benefit of TF fans. Put BOTCON on the east coast for people who can't get out there, because TF fans can just go to SDCC and see the EXACT same and MORE reveals at SDCC.


I am in California, but I agree with your point. It doesn't seem right to have the two conventions so close to each other and do the exact thing. I do hope that they don't start taking away some of the good stuff from Botcon and shoveling it exclusively to SDCC.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515854)
Posted by NicholasPrime on September 4th, 2013 @ 4:29pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:As much as I'd love to have BotCon here in Chicago again, I think it would be more beneficial to the convention if they would just pick a place and keep it there. I think Pasadena is a really good location. It certainly makes for an entertaining BotCon having it be so close to so many things Transformers related. Take off your selfish "i want it in my city!" hats for a moment and tell me one other place in the country that can offer ALL of this ...

  • Universal Studios Transformers Ride
  • Activision located in California
  • High Moon Studios located in California
  • IDW is located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers movies are located in California
  • Majority of talent involved with Transformers cartoons are located in California
  • Hasbro Studios is located in California
  • Paramount is located in California
  • Shout Factory is located in California
  • Loyal Subjects is located in California
  • Closer location for our international fans from Australia and Asia
  • Lower shipping costs for Fun Pub to move products from shipping docks to convention center (assuming they have these timed properly and don't have to ship them twice)
  • More Transformers fans than any other state! The traffic Seibertron.com receives from California (#1) is just under the amount from Texas (#2) and New York (#3) combined!

Keeping it in the same place every year also has a few other advantages ...

  • Enables Fun Pub to build a better relationship with the convention center
  • Enables Fun Pub to learn the ropes of the location better
  • Enables us to know where we have to fly to every year
  • Enables us to become more familiar with the various hotel locations so we can find the places that best suit our needs


Yes, but the travelling convention is so much better because it gives everyone a fair shot (theoretically), lets those of us who go every year see different cities (this is my only vacation, I can't afford an additional trip), and balances out costs (airfare is killer for us east coast folks. If it's closer, or even halfway across the country, I can carpool). I don't want it on the east coast all the time, but jeebus, 4 of the last 6 have been in California. I'm tired of the same place. Let's go somewhere new. If they keep doing it in Cali, there's a good chance at some point I'll just stop going and just get the away package and spend the airfare money on the souvenir sets on ebay instead. Especially if the guest list and set theme is as lackluster as last year.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515867)
Posted by Metrosuplex on September 4th, 2013 @ 5:23pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:Are you opposed to flying to California? If BotCon is indeed in June 2014 you bought your plane ticket next May, you'd only have to save $50 per month for the next 8 months to afford a $400 plane ticket, which is the only extra expense if BotCon were in California versus being within 6 hours of wherever you live.


No offense, Seibertron, but don't talk TF/Vacation financials like that. You just don't know. No one knows. The fact is that some people CANNOT afford the extra "$50 a month" you so casually offer. There are pop-up expenses (medical, disaster, etc). There are other commitments as well. You just don't know. It's a little presumptuous to sum it up so neatly as "save $50 a month and you're there". Jeez... :roll:

Second, of all those named places in CA, how many are actually available for visits? How many are part of the actual Botcon package? I mean, you might as well list how many McDonald's CA has, and say THAT is the big reason to have it there.

McD's = food; Botcon = lots of people; ergo, more McDs = BEST LOCATION FOR BOTCON EVER!!!!

Like others have said, and combining those sentiments with your financial advice, how is it worthwhile to go? I can save my entire TF budget for the year... half a year... whatever. Then it's worthwhile?

If I stop buying TFs, if I quit the hobby, the money can be saved for a ridiculously expensive trip to CA, $400+ tickets (if you care about exclusives), $150+ hotel night stay (per night)... ehhh... :BANG_HEAD:

Botcon is missing out on tons of great fans by not even considering traveling about. But hey, let's keep it an elitist CA-club thing. The fans are in TX and CA, anyway. :roll:
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515893)
Posted by Seibertron on September 4th, 2013 @ 9:42pm CDT
Metrosuplex wrote:
Seibertron wrote:Are you opposed to flying to California? If BotCon is indeed in June 2014 you bought your plane ticket next May, you'd only have to save $50 per month for the next 8 months to afford a $400 plane ticket, which is the only extra expense if BotCon were in California versus being within 6 hours of wherever you live.


No offense, Seibertron, but don't talk TF/Vacation financials like that. You just don't know. No one knows. The fact is that some people CANNOT afford the extra "$50 a month" you so casually offer. There are pop-up expenses (medical, disaster, etc). There are other commitments as well. You just don't know. It's a little presumptuous to sum it up so neatly as "save $50 a month and you're there". Jeez... :roll:


I'm only talking about financials like that because we're talking about a business and where a business plans its' locations. If $50 a month is a struggle for someone to attend BotCon, you're probably not the type of customer that a business goes after. They're going where the money is. Fans that struggle to put aside $50 a month for a convention aren't going to make a convention a lot of money. I'm just talking business, nothing personal.

I know these comments aren't popular comments. I'm just being blunt. I would love to have BotCon here in Chicago. I would love to not have to spend the money to fly to wherever BotCon is or to pay to fly my wife and daughter there as well. I also know how much of a struggle it is financially for some of you. I made it to BotCon 1996 in Chicago working at a McDonald's in Michigan making $18,000 a year. I attended BotCon 2001 in Durham, North Carolina working at a group of radio stations in Grand Rapids making $30,000 a year. I understand that it can be difficult to attend an expensive event. I made it happen because I wanted to be at BotCon.

I continue to make it happen and do whatever I have to do to make sure that I am there year after year so that I can provide the coverage we have on Seibertron.com for all of you. I have missed family obligations, friends weddings, my own daughter's 3rd birthday so that I am there each and every year because I have to be there now. We don't plan family trips or vacations in advance like most people because I have to know when and where BotCon is every year so that I can attend (this is a big part of why I'd like to see BotCon settle down so that I can enjoy a more normal family life instead of having one event that is integral to my business being a moving target). Yes, that is selfish on my behalf, but I look at BotCon attendance levels and I can't help but think that they would benefit greatly by picking a spot and time of year and always have it at that date and location. I have made plenty of sacrifices to be at BotCon, more than I care to share, because I am very dedicated to Seibertron.com and to all of you.

I really feel that it was a mistake to make BotCon a "traveling circus". It would be more beneficial to just pick a place so that people can plan accordingly each year instead of moving the event around. BotCon attendance levels aren't anything special. How does this brand have 3 major live action movies that grossed over $2.6 billion dollars since 2007 and has massive fan support only pull in approximately 5,000 to 8,000 people per year at BotCon? Those attendance numbers are a really tough pill to swallow when you think about the Asian Transformers conventions pulling in over 15,000 people in their 2nd year and even the first ever "Brony" MLP convention brought in almost 5,000 people. Something isn't right about these numbers ... they need to reign it in, keep it in one location, promote the heck out of it.

San Diego was a mistake as attendees of this year can tell you based on attendance levels, specifically based on Dealer attendance levels. They probably should have had it elsewhere this year since it was an off year, but ultimately it still turned out to be a pretty heavy IDW BotCon and a lot of voice talent still were in attendance.

If you guys really want to be at BotCon, you'll find a way. To those of you who just want to complain that it's not in your backyard so you're not going, I don't know what to say other than you should try to find a way to make it at least once very 5 years, especially for the big years like 2014. It's a special event and I'd love to see as many of you there as possible.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515920)
Posted by Metrosuplex on September 4th, 2013 @ 11:22pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:I'm only talking about financials like that because we're talking about a business and where a business plans its' locations. If $50 a month is a struggle for someone to attend BotCon, you're probably not the type of customer that a business goes after. They're going where the money is. Fans that struggle to put aside $50 a month for a convention aren't going to make a convention a lot of money. I'm just talking business, nothing personal.


I understand. You're saying Botcon IS an elitist event, open only to those who can afford it! :roll: Look, I don't take it personal - but I'm sure those who are less well off do take such a statement personally. But when you think about it, Botcon is wrong to have that attitude: Hasbro sells toys to children and low-income families. This is the only way to explain why they don't just jump the prices and keep the toys the same as 20 years ago (quality-wise). But the reality is that Transformers is a brand for ALL INCOME LEVELS. Sadly, and I agree with what you said, Botcon is not. :sad:

Seibertron wrote:I continue to make it happen and do whatever I have to do to make sure that I am there year after year so that I can provide the coverage we have on Seibertron.com for all of you. I have missed family obligations, friends weddings, my own daughter's 3rd birthday so that I am there each and every year because I have to be there now. We don't plan family trips or vacations in advance like most people because I have to know when and where BotCon is every year so that I can attend (this is a big part of why I'd like to see BotCon settle down so that I can enjoy a more normal family life instead of having one event that is integral to my business being a moving target). Yes, that is selfish on my behalf, but I look at BotCon attendance levels and I can't help but think that they would benefit greatly by picking a spot and time of year and always have it at that date and location. I have made plenty of sacrifices to be at BotCon, more than I care to share, because I am very dedicated to Seibertron.com and to all of you.

All of us appreciate your sacrifices for this site, and if I may say, this is one of the best-looking fan sites I've seen. Big kudos.

But by that same token, I'm sure you appreciate all the page hits and affiliate links your members use, and I do hope it's some small consolation for said sacrifice. :roll: It's your job to cover these things for the site... I'm not sure why you want to make that so painfully obvious, because all of us do understand that you put forth the effort to make the event coverage possible, the galleries, the forum, etc. :APPLAUSE:

Seibertron wrote:I really feel that it was a mistake to make BotCon a "traveling circus". It would be more beneficial to just pick a place so that people can plan accordingly each year instead of moving the event around. BotCon attendance levels aren't anything special. How does this brand have 3 major live action movies that grossed over $2.6 billion dollars since 2007 and has massive fan support only pull in approximately 5,000 to 8,000 people per year at BotCon?

Most "fans" are just casual movie audiences and kids looking for the next big Summer movie. Why waste effort catering to the casuals? Nintendo certainly isn't making a great point of that, considering how its Wii-U sales are incredibly disappointing - it's success with the Wii was noteworthy as a fad, not as a long-term business model. I just don't think most TF movie fans ACTUALLY care about TFs. I mean, they care like they care about what they had for lunch - consume and forget.

Ergo, would it be so bad to consider the die-hard fans a little more? To maybe stage the show in some moving venues, like a circus who is struggling to grab audiences? From everything you said, the show SHOULD go on the road, just because the numbers are so low. But, I suppose, the compromise would be more than one show per year? Given that such a solution would be unlikely, as other people on this thread have mentioned, it might benefit the con to take the show on the road. I've never had the chance to go, for example, and I wouldn't spend a ton to go to CA and gamble a good time (not when I can do a local convention or something else for much less, and for a longer period). But if I DID get to go, I might enjoy it enough to think the CA trip was worth the trouble. I can't help but think there are more than one or two people out there who think the same: should I go or not? For the love of God, if the event could be more convenient for the rest of the country, you might see more unique visitors than the same group of 5,000-8,000 in CA. :BANG_HEAD:


Seibertron wrote:Something isn't right about these numbers ... they need to reign it in, keep it in one location, promote the heck out of it.

Or take the circus on the road, maybe? :roll:


Seibertron wrote:If you guys really want to be at BotCon, you'll find a way. To those of you who just want to complain that it's not in your backyard so you're not going, I don't know what to say other than you should try to find a way to make it at least once very 5 years, especially for the big years like 2014. It's a special event and I'd love to see as many of you there as possible.

I dunno... some of us aren't MARRIED to TFs. 8-} "You'll find a way" is best reserved for meeting a loved one who's halfway around the world on business or military. "You'll find a way" sounds like Billy Madison trying to save his Grandma's home. I think the motto should be, "it's right around the corner, and just a skip away from home! Come on out! Even if you don't know much about the characters, come by and talk to the best group of fans in the world!"

CA is just too hardcore. It's so far West that you'd fall off the map if you kept going. I love TF's, but I'd rather spend that money on a trip to FL (which is a lot closer). I'm not complaining because I don't want to "find a way"; I'm complaining because this shouldn't be the elitist meet that it's become - this shouldn't be available ONLY to those who can afford it. That's how you kill a franchise: make the benefits apply only to the upper crust. You know better than I do about that: Botcon attendance was mysteriously low, given the high movie turn-out. Well... maybe most people who saw the movies... maybe they don't live in CA. And maybe they don't want to spend thousands to see a convention.

Pure business here (and sorry this got long and run-on-y): Botcon is too expensive to gather a larger audience than it has. So if everyone is happy with the 8,000 attendee cap, for heaven's sake, DO keep it CA. If, however, you sincerely believe that it's NOT the money, that it's an issue of promotion? Well, I think you're an optimist with unrealistic expectations for marketing and advertising. The product won't move at a high price. Period. :HEADHURTS:

EDIT: I just re-read your original assertion, and you make a great point: THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE PLANE TICKET. :APPLAUSE: See, that doesn't make me feel better, as the entire thing is expensive (tickets, exclusives, hotel, etc.). In fact, I'd venture to say that the CA hotels cost MORE than midwest hotels. Just an educated guess, as I've done some traveling. But more importantly, the price sheet for Botcon is just overwhelming - I may be in the minority to say so, but $400+ for the attendee set is crazy. How the hell are you going to attract casual fans with prices like that???? :HEADHURTS: The 5,000-8,000 attendees have found a way to make it to Botcon, and they have sacrificed much (I'm certain)... I feel very sorry that the rest of us, and even casual fans, have no chance of making it! :roll: (I guess, to be clear, I should say that I veer toward CASUAL more than HARDCORE. I couldn't name every episode, comic, or character, but I could find a casual group of people to go to the con with me. It's sad to see how hardcore these cons can be - nerd-con versus everyone-con :roll: ).
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515924)
Posted by morphobots on September 4th, 2013 @ 11:53pm CDT
While I can see the varied points of view here to a certain extent, I have to say it is not Seibertron's job to attend the conventions. He isn't obligated to go just because he is the site owner; he could just as easily tell someone on the staff to fork out their own money and go flying around the country to bring back the news. I personally agree that the high attendance fee discourages a lot of fans from attending, which is mostly why I haven't been able to go since Fun Pub took over. As much as I love this hobby, I have a hard time justifying to myself spending an entire paycheck before I've even factored in travel expenses and the dealer rooms. But just because Seibertron may sound as if he's telling us to eat cake, don't think he personally owes anything to us to be at the show. Attending the con is still a chunk of change no matter whose pocket it's coming out of. He goes because he cares about promoting and perpetuating this brand, for his enjoyment and that of his/our children who will (hopefully) carry this on one day.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515926)
Posted by Seibertron on September 5th, 2013 @ 12:08am CDT
Metrosuplex wrote:I understand. You're saying Botcon IS an elitist event, open only to those who can afford it! :roll: Look, I don't take it personal - but I'm sure those who are less well off do take such a statement personally. But when you think about it, Botcon is wrong to have that attitude: Hasbro sells toys to children and low-income families. This is the only way to explain why they don't just jump the prices and keep the toys the same as 20 years ago (quality-wise). But the reality is that Transformers is a brand for ALL INCOME LEVELS. Sadly, and I agree with what you said, Botcon is not. :sad:


I would prefer that you don't twist my words. Whether or not people can afford something does not make that an "elite" something. I can't afford a Chevy Corvette but because people can does not make it an elitist car. Such a statement is ridiculous. BotCon is and has always been an expensive venture. This hobby is a very expensive hobby. It is not a hobby for the faint of heart financially. I'm merely being frank.

Metrosuplex wrote:But by that same token, I'm sure you appreciate all the page hits and affiliate links your members use, and I do hope it's some small consolation for said sacrifice. :roll: It's your job to cover these things for the site... I'm not sure why you want to make that so painfully obvious, because all of us do understand that you put forth the effort to make the event coverage possible, the galleries, the forum, etc. :APPLAUSE:


I am very grateful for all of you participating on this site. I am grateful that my devotion to my hobby and my dedication to craft has grown into something that I can make a living on. I sometimes make it painfully obvious because I have worked my butt off to get what I want from this hobby and out of this site. I don't like the attitude of "well what about me?" or "well I'm not going to go because that's not fair" ... the "oh woe is me" attitude sucks. You want to go to BotCon? Make it happen instead of being upset that it's not in your town and saying that it's an elitist event. You didn't quote my text about me making the statement that I found a way to get to BotCon 1996 when I was 19 years old making $18,000 a year working at McDonald's. I wanted to go. I found a way. I made it happen ... on top of all of my other expenses ... car payments. School payments. Car insurance. Food. Rent. I found a way. I make things happen for myself. You won't find "oh woe is me" anywhere in my life. It's not in my nature.

Metrosuplex wrote:Most "fans" are just casual movie audiences and kids looking for the next big Summer movie. Why waste effort catering to the casuals? Nintendo certainly isn't making a great point of that, considering how its Wii-U sales are incredibly disappointing - it's success with the Wii was noteworthy as a fad, not as a long-term business model. I just don't think most TF movie fans ACTUALLY care about TFs. I mean, they care like they care about what they had for lunch - consume and forget.


If you care like you say you care, then you can find a way instead of making excuses about not being able to go and calling it an elitist event.

Metrosuplex wrote:Ergo, would it be so bad to consider the die-hard fans a little more?


They are considering the die-hard fans that will purchase exclusives and make them money. It's a business. Businesses make money. It's what they do. There's nothing wrong with a business making money. It's not a local meetup for Transformers fans.

Metrosuplex wrote:To maybe stage the show in some moving venues, like a circus who is struggling to grab audiences? From everything you said, the show SHOULD go on the road, just because the numbers are so low.


It is on the road but they won't stay consistent. They need to commit. The fact that they won't commit hurts the business model.

Metrosuplex wrote:But, I suppose, the compromise would be more than one show per year? Given that such a solution would be unlikely, as other people on this thread have mentioned, it might benefit the con to take the show on the road. I've never had the chance to go, for example, and I wouldn't spend a ton to go to CA and gamble a good time (not when I can do a local convention or something else for much less, and for a longer period). But if I DID get to go, I might enjoy it enough to think the CA trip was worth the trouble. I can't help but think there are more than one or two people out there who think the same: should I go or not? For the love of God, if the event could be more convenient for the rest of the country, you might see more unique visitors than the same group of 5,000-8,000 in CA. :BANG_HEAD:


Then just go. What in the world makes you think that you wouldn't enjoy it? Meet up with some of your friends from the Transformers community, come hang out with us, come enjoy a few drinks at the bar ... I guarantee you'll have a great time.

Metrosuplex wrote:CA is just too hardcore. It's so far West that you'd fall off the map if you kept going. I love TF's, but I'd rather spend that money on a trip to FL (which is a lot closer).


Your quote above says all I need to say. You call yourself a die-hard above but then you say California is too hardcore. That you'd rather spend money on a trip to Florida than go once to a BotCon in California. That doesn't sound very die-hard to me at all. Maybe you don't mean it to sound that way, but that's how it comes across.

Metrosuplex wrote:EDIT: I just re-read your original assertion, and you make a great point: THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE PLANE TICKET. :APPLAUSE: See, that doesn't make me feel better, as the entire thing is expensive (tickets, exclusives, hotel, etc.). In fact, I'd venture to say that the CA hotels cost MORE than midwest hotels. Just an educated guess, as I've done some traveling. But more importantly, the price sheet for Botcon is just overwhelming - I may be in the minority to say so, but $400+ for the attendee set is crazy. How the hell are you going to attract casual fans with prices like that???? :HEADHURTS: The 5,000-8,000 attendees have found a way to make it to Botcon, and they have sacrificed much (I'm certain)... I feel very sorry that the rest of us, and even casual fans, have no chance of making it! :roll: (I guess, to be clear, I should say that I veer toward CASUAL more than HARDCORE. I couldn't name every episode, comic, or character, but I could find a casual group of people to go to the con with me. It's sad to see how hardcore these cons can be - nerd-con versus everyone-con :roll: ).


If those prices are too expensive, then you just pay for the door prices to get in which are like $25 a day or something, comparable to other conventions. It might even be less than that. Regardless, your last paragraph really sums up the difference between the regular BotCon attendees and the casual fans. It's really not an event geared toward casual fans. It is an event that is catered to die hard fans. That doesn't make it elitist at all. It just makes it an event that is more expensive than you care to invest in this hobby.

I'll flip this around to you ... I consider myself a pretty big fan of Masters of the Universe. I've loved that brand for over 30 years. I've followed it for that long. I own all of the current Masters of the Universe line that has come out since 2008. Yet as big as a fan I am of that brand, as excited as I am every time I hear news about the possibility of an upcoming movie, as much as I enjoy all of the recent MOTU comic books, I just can't rationalize spending the kind of money that is required to attend the Masters of the Universe convention in California. That doesn't make it an elitist event, it just makes it an event that is out of my league as Masters of the Universe fan. To those people, I would seem like a casual fan and I wouldn't expect their convention to try to cater to a fan like me.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1515940)
Posted by ScottyP on September 5th, 2013 @ 2:30am CDT
Metrosuplex wrote:
I'm complaining because this shouldn't be the elitist meet that it's become - this shouldn't be available ONLY to those who can afford it. That's how you kill a franchise: make the benefits apply only to the upper crust.


Not to drag this through the ground, but statements like this are highly offensive to me. It's understandable to be frustrated when the trip isn't affordable, believe me, there have been many years where I could not go to this convention because of finances, but please don't classify those of us fortunate enough to be able to afford to go some or most years as "elitist" or "upper crust". That's a pretty toxic generalization.
Re: Rumor: BotCon 2014 to be held at the Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena California? (1516100)
Posted by Antron on September 6th, 2013 @ 12:18am CDT
First I want to say that I love your site and you for providing it for/to us. I love your staff and podcast and anxiously await every forthcoming episode. Sadly, you are the only guys I get to talk to/with about the hobby even though you can't hear me talking back to you. I love Jon being on the cast because he's a different kind of collector and brings a different perspective.

That being said, I only have one issue your last post...

I can't afford a Chevy Corvette but because people can does not make it an elitist car.


The corvette is an elitist car to the same extent as a mercedes or aston martin is. If you can't afford one then you don't belong in/to the luxury priced cars owners club. Work harder, get more money and earn your place in that club. That's the way life works.

Now to use that point to agree with you.
Wanting a luxury car is supposed to be inspiration and motivation to work harder, get more money and earn your place in the club. So, like you said if you want it that bad you'll make it happen. You'll make the necessary sacrifices in order to achieve your goal. I do agree to an extent. But our goals, as adults should be (and in most cases, I hope are) to satisfy our priorities and obligations first. "Have to before want to." At least, that's what I tell myself every time I have to pass something up because priorities and commitments force me to. ;)

Luxury cars are just that, luxuries. Event's based on what are ultimately children's toys shouldn't be a luxury. The average family should be able to afford to go. Sure it would be kind of a pain to have tons of kids running around but the way I see it, if you're going to shop in the kids section, you should be prepared to deal with some kids. We're the adults wading in their pool.

I believe that cost is the primary reason attendance is not greater. If they slashed some costs, they'd get more attendees which translates to more sales over all no matter where they hold it. For me there's not much of a point to go to any convention if I spent so much to get there that all I can do is look and walk around like it was the mall. I want to go there to meet some fellow fans AND spend money on some toys because the toys are why I'm a fan. I want to say "I bought these/this at BotCon." Not, "I have BotCon exclusive toys." If I want BotCon exclusives I can just get them on the internet, grated at a mark up but, it would still be cheaper than going there.

Side note, because I try to collect based on molds, there hasn't been a BotCon set I've wanted for a while. Maybe only one out of a set. Same with the Collectors Club which is the only reason I've never joined. For me the CC membership is money I can spend on figures I do want. But that is just me.

I agree and understand it's a business. A business where the true target market is children. Children's parents should be able to afford to take them to BotCon so their kids can go "Please Daddy! Please Daddy! Now that we're here at BotCon, please give Hasbro some more money and buy me (insert product here)!"

It would suck, suck big time, but if BotCon were in CA and the same time every year then it would at least be more plan-able. (Is that even a word?) I really liked your 5 year suggestion but I'd prefer it to be 2 or 3 years. ;) Being a fan, I'd like to attend BotCon as often as possible but, the way things are going my dreams are quickly becoming squashed down to "I hope I can manage to attend BotCon at least once in my life." I probably spend $300 - $1000 a year on Transformers. ($400 this summer alone) Why Hasbro? Why, can't my nerdvana be more obtainable?

I've never been, but I'm under the impression that to do anything at BotCon besides wonder around like you were at the mall, costs extra. Please, please, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Some question for the BotCon vets. I understand the custom class costing money. You get something for it though so I understand it. Does attending the panels cost extra? What can one do at BotCon if they were to only get the $25 a day tickets? This dealer room I keep hearing about, can anyone enter or only specific levels? I know certain levels get early admission and they pay for the privilege, as they should, and have no qualms with that.

I'm sorry to rant on but as I stated before, I'd like to attend BotCon as often as possible but, the way things are going my dreams are quickly becoming squashed down to "I hope I can manage to attend BotCon at least once in my life."

I know I can be a hard friend to have but those who know me, know my friendship is worth it. So, thanks for tolerating me, I do love you guys, no matter what so, feel free to put the screws to me. I'm capable of having a disagreement with a friend without it being the end of the friendship. I'll value your opinions even if I don't share them.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #105 - Megatronus
Twincast / Podcast #105:
"Megatronus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, November 23rd, 2014