Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime

Transformers News: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime

Saturday, April 19th, 2014 6:18AM CDT

Categories: Movie News, Toy News, Reviews
Posted by: Dr Va'al   Views: 33,312

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Courtesy of Youtube user Transformers and Power Rangers Toy Reviews, via a tip from fellow Seibertron.com user Fires_Of_Inferno we get a look at two of the simplified Robots in Disguise line from the upcoming Transformers: Age of Extinction movie. Check out below the embedded videos for Flip and Change Grimlock and Smash and Change Optimus Prime, clearly designed for increased rough play value and endurance rather than transformation or variation in poses.




Credit(s): Transformers and Power Rangers Toy Reviews
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566518)
Posted by craggy on April 19th, 2014 @ 6:32am CDT
I still hold out that if this was the kind of toy aimed at us as kids we'd be on a website called Gaobotron.com
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566521)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 19th, 2014 @ 6:36am CDT
craggy wrote:I still hold out that if this was the kind of toy aimed at us as kids we'd be on a website called Gaobotron.com
What's a Gaobot? Some sort of beast thing? :P
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566522)
Posted by craggy on April 19th, 2014 @ 6:49am CDT
well, I typed Gobotron, then realised that's probably already a site. Since we use the Japanese spelling of Cybertron, and I was too lazy to look up if there was a Japanese translation of the Gobots' homeworld, I winged it.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566523)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 19th, 2014 @ 6:54am CDT
craggy wrote:well, I typed Gobotron, then realised that's probably already a site. Since we use the Japanese spelling of Cybertron, and I was too lazy to look up if there was a Japanese translation of the Gobots' homeworld, I winged it.
I wonder if there even is a Japanese name for it, lol. :lol:
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566525)
Posted by craggy on April 19th, 2014 @ 6:58am CDT
I'm not aware of the Gobots franchise being repackaged and sent back to Japan. I think they just had their original Machine Robos.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566527)
Posted by OptimalOptimus2 on April 19th, 2014 @ 7:08am CDT
Great. Hasbro has wasted all their money just to make simple toys for kids. :roll: Kids don't like simple Transformers toys. The Toys"R"Us in my area has a cluster of Transformers: Prime Robots In Disguise and Beast Hunters Cyberverse figures. Kids don't like those toys, therefore they don't pay attention to them. Hasbro could have used all of that plastic for a Deluxe Stinger, Lockdown, and Concept Camaro Bumblebee (something that we want to see). These simplified toys are going to stay on the shelves until Transformers 5 is released.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566529)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 19th, 2014 @ 7:15am CDT
OptimalOptimus2 wrote:Hasbro could have used all of that plastic for a Deluxe Stinger, Lockdown, and Concept Camaro Bumblebee (something that we want to see).
You say that like they're never going to make those toys. As though the movie toylines never have any more toys after Wave 1. :roll:
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566531)
Posted by craggy on April 19th, 2014 @ 7:20am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
OptimalOptimus2 wrote:Hasbro could have used all of that plastic for a Deluxe Stinger, Lockdown, and Concept Camaro Bumblebee (something that we want to see).
You say that like they're never going to make those toys. As though the movie toylines never have any more toys after Wave 1. :roll:

to be fair, it does sometimes seem like it, with The Hive clogging the shelves. Should be better this time around what with there only being 1 Bee per case and I'll be doing my part to clear the shelves of Dinobots at least.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566540)
Posted by OptimalOptimus2 on April 19th, 2014 @ 8:34am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:You say that like they're never going to make those toys. As though the movie toylines never have any more toys after Wave 1. :roll:

My main point of the comment was that kids and adult collectors don't like simple Transformers. Have you ever heard a someone get excited for some Cyberverse toys. Well I haven't. That plastic could have been used to make Deluxe Bumblebee, Lockdown, Stinger, or possibly [and hopefully but it's very possible that it will never happen] a Leader Class Galvatron. :CON: I know that more movie toys are released after Wave 1, but a cheaply made toy is not something a someone would want. It's a waste of plastic. These simplified Transformers are a waste of plastic. That's why I said that.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566541)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 19th, 2014 @ 8:40am CDT
Hey, I LOVE Cyberverse toys.
Those quick changing toys could have been Cyberverses instead.


But maybe Cyberverses were not selling enough.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566543)
Posted by Delta Magnus on April 19th, 2014 @ 8:51am CDT
Meh, I'm not really bothered by the simplified toys like the flip-n-changer. I won't buy them, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of younger kids who will love them. The main line figures (Especially the Dinobots) look great anyway. I'll probably be picking up Slug, Scorn and Crosshairs, and possibly Strafe when he comes out.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566544)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 19th, 2014 @ 8:52am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:Hey, I LOVE Cyberverse toys.
Those quick changing toys could have been Cyberverses instead.


But maybe Cyberverses were not selling enough.


Speaking of easy yet fun, how many of you love, adore and admire the Gravity Bots? ;)
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566545)
Posted by welcometothedarksyde on April 19th, 2014 @ 9:24am CDT
These obviously don't appeal to us, and I suspect they won't appeal to kids either. But something that I imagine would've been cooler is something to the effect of HFTD activators.

They're not spectacular, but they're cute, they have articulation, and they're kinda cool. And I'm pretty sure that the smallest size of the kids toys are gonna cost about as much as these did. Just my opinion, but something like this would've been cooler, and in my view would probably sell better.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566599)
Posted by TimothyR on April 19th, 2014 @ 3:07pm CDT
i'm starting to hope that this entire line tanks.. hopefully it'll show hasbro that we're not going to tolerate this crap.

even with their main line figures, they decided to color every single one of them wrong. this is an unacceptable way to treat the fans that pay their inflated salaries.. especially on the 30th anniversary of the brand.. it's pathetic.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566636)
Posted by Rated X on April 19th, 2014 @ 5:32pm CDT
I saw em in my walmart last week. I wanted to smash and change them with a sledgehammer. Where are the non kiddie versions ?
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566648)
Posted by Caelus on April 19th, 2014 @ 5:58pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:Hey, I LOVE Cyberverse toys.
Those quick changing toys could have been Cyberverses instead.


But maybe Cyberverses were not selling enough.


I'd have a lot more of them if they (1) had minicon ports and (2) cost a lot less. Mostly #2. I like fiddly little Transformers I can carry in my pocket and transform without looking at it (e.g., while reading journal articles, coding videos, listening to lectures), but dang the price seems disproportionate to the size/complexity.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566702)
Posted by DinobotScorn on April 19th, 2014 @ 8:59pm CDT
Ok, this is the complete opposite of what I was expecting. Either this guy got a dud of a Grimlock, or that Toy Fair demo was lying to us. As for Smashin' Optimus there, yeah...he blows, too.
How much does this crap even cost? If it's anything over $10, it's not worth it at all. :SICK:

(Fingers still crossed that the Lockdown from this line can be good.)
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566714)
Posted by Flashwave on April 19th, 2014 @ 9:50pm CDT
DinobotScorn wrote:Ok, this is the complete opposite of what I was expecting. Either this guy got a dud of a Grimlock, or that Toy Fair demo was lying to us. As for Smashin' Optimus there, yeah...he blows, too.
How much does this crap even cost? If it's anything over $10, it's not worth it at all. :SICK:

(Fingers still crossed that the Lockdown from this line can be good.)


Hold on, let me check, these showed up in a Walmart two nights ago.

$19.96 if the shelf tag is right.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566858)
Posted by Delta Magnus on April 20th, 2014 @ 2:41pm CDT
TimothyR wrote:i'm starting to hope that this entire line tanks.. hopefully it'll show hasbro that we're not going to tolerate this crap.

even with their main line figures, they decided to color every single one of them wrong. this is an unacceptable way to treat the fans that pay their inflated salaries.. especially on the 30th anniversary of the brand.. it's pathetic.


Yeah, I mean, it's not like they're kid's toys or anything.

Seriously though, the adult fandom isn't the only (or even largest) demographic that Hasbro has to pander to. This isn't MLP (where the actual target demographic is smaller than the hordes of sweaty manchildren that fantasize about stunted horses). Most of the buyers will be kids. For the most part, they won't pass a toy because "THE GREY OF HIS WRIST JOINTS IS 1/5TH OF A SHADE TOO PALE!!!", they decide on whether to get a toy because it looks cool/fun. Heck, I absolutely loved Armada Laserbeak when I was a kid, and that guy's been bashed to hell and back by collectors. Heck, to Hasbro, pandering to the kids instead of the collectors probably seems like a better idea- kids are fairly easy to impress, whilst a lot of collectors will skip a toy because the figure's fingers are a millimetre too long. Basic marketing.

Besides, they've been cranking out some excellent Generations figures to keep the "mature" fans happy.
Re: Video Review - Transformers: Age of Extinction Flip'n' Change Grimlock, Smash'n'Change Optimus Prime (1566861)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 20th, 2014 @ 3:03pm CDT
Delta Magnus wrote:
TimothyR wrote:i'm starting to hope that this entire line tanks.. hopefully it'll show hasbro that we're not going to tolerate this crap.

even with their main line figures, they decided to color every single one of them wrong. this is an unacceptable way to treat the fans that pay their inflated salaries.. especially on the 30th anniversary of the brand.. it's pathetic.


Yeah, I mean, it's not like they're kid's toys or anything.

Seriously though, the adult fandom isn't the only (or even largest) demographic that Hasbro has to pander to. This isn't MLP (where the actual target demographic is smaller than the hordes of sweaty manchildren that fantasize about stunted horses). Most of the buyers will be kids. For the most part, they won't pass a toy because "THE GREY OF HIS WRIST JOINTS IS 1/5TH OF A SHADE TOO PALE!!!", they decide on whether to get a toy because it looks cool/fun. Heck, I absolutely loved Armada Laserbeak when I was a kid, and that guy's been bashed to hell and back by collectors. Heck, to Hasbro, pandering to the kids instead of the collectors probably seems like a better idea- kids are fairly easy to impress, whilst a lot of collectors will skip a toy because the figure's fingers are a millimetre too long. Basic marketing.

Besides, they've been cranking out some excellent Generations figures to keep the "mature" fans happy.


You diss the adults MLP fans has being "manchildren" but then you give the perfect argument that the adult TF collectors are manchildren too.

Face it, no matter what kind of toys we collect, we will be seen as "manchildren" by the general public. So, let's not be hipsters by saying one kind of collection is better than another, shall we? That's childish behavior.

Ending Soon On eBay

hot!For Transformers Movie 2 ROTF Leader Class Megatron Figure in stock - Time Remaining: 5 days 9 hours 35 minutes 52 seconds
Transformers G1 2007 IRONHIDE MIB takara tomy encore reissue 05 - Time Remaining: 5 days 51 minutes 18 seconds
Hot FOR Transformers X-Transbots X Club MX-I Megatron Apollyon second batch - Time Remaining: 4 days 22 hours 39 minutes 8 seconds
For Transformers Dark Of The Moon Human Alliance Soundwave KO toy figure instock - Time Remaining: 6 days 9 hours 33 minutes 14 seconds
Transformers Masterpiece Grimlock G1 Dinobots Mp-08 - Time Remaining: 4 days 14 hours 3 minutes 8 seconds
transformers prime Classics Fall of Cybertron FOC starscream prototype - Time Remaining: 11 days 20 hours 47 minutes 17 seconds
Transformers Armada Super-Cons Sideways Crosswise and Rook FIGURE 100% COMPLETE - Time Remaining: 5 days 22 hours 18 minutes 53 seconds
Transformers Generations Deluxe Decepticon Darkmount (2010). - Time Remaining: 6 days 7 hours 20 minutes 52 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #153 - Last Knights of Cybertron
Twincast / Podcast #153:
"Last Knights of Cybertron"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, August 15th, 2016