A question about power-linking.

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

A question about power-linking.

Postby Justanormalguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Motto: "When it comes to war... or anything, always be yourself, no matter what."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
A few days ago I saw my cousin watching an Energon DVD while two Autobits power-linked. But what is the point of it. All they do is combine into a robot that is the same size, but only made of two. When they do that makes them look weak because the Decepticons don't. (I think Demolisher and Snowcat did that once)

Please explain, I think it is to sell toys.
Image
When Megatron..
Justanormalguy
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm
Location: Autobot city
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: ???

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby BeastProwl » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Motto: "Gravity Hurts"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
Well, it makes them stronger against the already powerful decepticons, but it is mainly to sell figures. Demolisher and Snowcat attempted it, to failure of course:
Image

Check out my Art Thread! It actually gets updated from time to time!
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/beastprowl-s-art-thread-t102641s50.php

Also taking commissions! Inquire via PM if interested :D
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6411
News Credits: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: The Badass Crater of Badassitude
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby njb902 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm

FUSION HAAAA!!!!
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Justanormalguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Motto: "When it comes to war... or anything, always be yourself, no matter what."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
njb902 wrote:FUSION HAAAA!!!!



Lol. Here's something.

All right link-up. Optimus Prime form body! Fire 1 Copter 2 form arms and hands! Digger 3 Submarine 4 form legs and feet! And now! Optimus Prime form head! :-? Sounds familiar.
Image
When Megatron..
Justanormalguy
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm
Location: Autobot city
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: ???

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby -Kanrabat- » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Motto: "I will be your blade. I will be your shield."
Weapon: Armor Axe
LET'S NEVER FORGET THE POWER OF THE PIGGY-BACK RIDE!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!


:HEADHURTS:
User avatar
-Kanrabat-
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6070
News Credits: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Canada, province of Québec
Buy from -Kanrabat- on eBay
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Rank: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Justanormalguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Motto: "When it comes to war... or anything, always be yourself, no matter what."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
OPTIMUS PRIME! WING SABER! POWER LINK!
*wing sabers head splits in half* I guess you could say he had a SPLITTING headache! :DANCE: :michaelbay: :KREMZEEK: :michaelbay: :DANCE:






You know that must hurt.
Image
When Megatron..
Justanormalguy
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm
Location: Autobot city
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: ???

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby RAcast » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Motto: "Can't stop, so what! That's how I like it!"
Weapon: Rocket Launcher
It was a pretty decent gimmick. Though some of them certainly worked better than others. #-o
Old fasioned games!
And new fashioned friends!
Come on everybody this is Ta-ble Flip!
Image
User avatar
RAcast
City Commander
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Justanormalguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Motto: "When it comes to war... or anything, always be yourself, no matter what."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
RAcast wrote:It was a pretty decent gimmick. Though some of them certainly worked better than others. #-o


I thought Inferno and Hot shot's combined form was cool.
Image
When Megatron..
Justanormalguy
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm
Location: Autobot city
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: ???

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby RAcast » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Motto: "Can't stop, so what! That's how I like it!"
Weapon: Rocket Launcher
Justanormalguy wrote:
RAcast wrote:It was a pretty decent gimmick. Though some of them certainly worked better than others. #-o


I thought Inferno and Hot shot's combined form was cool.

I'm a fan of Jetfire-torso/Ironhide-pants. They look great with HA Whirl, as well.
Old fasioned games!
And new fashioned friends!
Come on everybody this is Ta-ble Flip!
Image
User avatar
RAcast
City Commander
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Duke of Luns » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:20 am

It was more or less a subline group gimmick, and yeah, it was designed to sell more figures. After all, you need at least two figures to make the combination.

However, I honestly think it's a really fun gimmick :D . Yes, some of the combinations are questionable, most of them have giant fender hands, posebility varies greatly between combos, and in the show it really didn't seem to matter one lick. But, despite of all that, it's fun transforming and combining them, and since all but Towline(sorta) could form either a "shirt" or "pants", it really added to the playability of them. Also, you could mess around and combine the weapons, so that was cool.

Fun fact: I'm 90% sure the Energon Powerlinkers were homaging the G1 Multiforce from Victory:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Multiforce

Image

Image

The only thing missing was the ability for everyone to combine into a giant gestalt.
Image
Duke of Luns
Faction Commander
Posts: 4412
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:19 pm
Location: North Central West Virginia

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Justanormalguy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Motto: "When it comes to war... or anything, always be yourself, no matter what."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
Duke of Luns wrote:It was more or less a subline group gimmick, and yeah, it was designed to sell more figures. After all, you need at least two figures to make the combination.

However, I honestly think it's a really fun gimmick :D . Yes, some of the combinations are questionable, most of them have giant fender hands, posebility varies greatly between combos, and in the show it really didn't seem to matter one lick. But, despite of all that, it's fun transforming and combining them, and since all but Towline(sorta) could form either a "shirt" or "pants", it really added to the playability of them. Also, you could mess around and combine the weapons, so that was cool.

Fun fact: I'm 90% sure the Energon Powerlinkers were homaging the G1 Multiforce from Victory:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Multiforce

Image

Image

The only thing missing was the ability for everyone to combine into a giant gestalt.


Agreed, I love my energon Optimus Prime figure, he is so fun to play with, I even bought Wingsaber and Omega Supreme to add on to the basic prime force. (Also Omega is a head master! Look!)
Image
When Megatron..
Justanormalguy
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm
Location: Autobot city
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: ???

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby STngAR » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Weapon: No Weapon
Well I think it was almost a great idea. I just could never get a good combination that I could put on my shelf and stand looking at. :MAXIMAL:
Sledge wrote:Finally! Wheelie will get the credit he's due with a set of five Wheelies.



"People who live in glass houses sink ships"

"Loser, loser chicken dinner"

"She was playing robota-possum"

"If you want to get rich, collect money, not toys"
User avatar
STngAR
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 537
News Credits: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:14 am
Location: PA
Watch STngAR on YouTube
Buy from STngAR on eBay
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Rank: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: Infinity

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Justanormalguy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Motto: "When it comes to war... or anything, always be yourself, no matter what."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
STngAR wrote:Well I think it was almost a great idea. I just could never get a good combination that I could put on my shelf and stand looking at. :MAXIMAL:


True, I like my Inferno and Energon Hotshot combo.
Image
When Megatron..
Justanormalguy
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm
Location: Autobot city
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: ???

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby BeastProwl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:46 am

Motto: "Gravity Hurts"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
One of my personal favorite combos was double rodimus. Well, Rodimus/Checkpoint, but still, the same thing really.
Image

Check out my Art Thread! It actually gets updated from time to time!
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/beastprowl-s-art-thread-t102641s50.php

Also taking commissions! Inquire via PM if interested :D
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6411
News Credits: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: The Badass Crater of Badassitude
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby -Kanrabat- » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Motto: "I will be your blade. I will be your shield."
Weapon: Armor Axe
BeastProwl wrote:One of my personal favorite combos was double rodimus. Well, Rodimus/Checkpoint, but still, the same thing really.


I love double-rodimus.

Image
User avatar
-Kanrabat-
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6070
News Credits: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Canada, province of Québec
Buy from -Kanrabat- on eBay
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Rank: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Justanormalguy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:05 pm

Motto: "When it comes to war... or anything, always be yourself, no matter what."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
-Kanrabat- wrote:
BeastProwl wrote:One of my personal favorite combos was double rodimus. Well, Rodimus/Checkpoint, but still, the same thing really.


I love double-rodimus.

Image


That is a true Rodimus
Image
When Megatron..
Justanormalguy
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm
Location: Autobot city
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: ???

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Valandar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Motto: "It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty, only that you work to make it full."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
But, the real question is...

Is that incest or masturbation? :CON: :twisted:
Valandar
City Commander
Posts: 3680
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:50 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10
Endurance: 8
Rank: 8
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9
Skill: 9

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Justanormalguy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Motto: "When it comes to war... or anything, always be yourself, no matter what."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
Valandar wrote:But, the real question is...

Is that incest or masturbation? :CON: :twisted:


:-?
Image
When Megatron..
Justanormalguy
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm
Location: Autobot city
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: ???

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby njb902 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Well that's just inappropriate.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Justanormalguy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Motto: "When it comes to war... or anything, always be yourself, no matter what."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
njb902 wrote:Well that's just inappropriate.


:-$
Image
When Megatron..
Justanormalguy
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm
Location: Autobot city
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: ???

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Hip-Hoptimus Rime » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Motto: "Nobody has to look for trouble."
Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
I love the Energon combining-toy gimmick, but I refuse to combine toys of different scale. Never even tried the Jetfire/Ironhide combo. You can't make me! :evil:
-Gus
948 TFs and counting. (They're like rabbits, those killer rabbits from Monty Python!)
Hip-Hoptimus Rime
Gestalt
Posts: 2305
News Credits: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:46 am

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby BeastProwl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Motto: "Gravity Hurts"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
Hip-Hoptimus Rime wrote:I love the Energon combining-toy gimmick, but I refuse to combine toys of different scale. Never even tried the Jetfire/Ironhide combo. You can't make me! :evil:

Could I make you if I said that Jetfire is a single man space shuttle, where the man lays on his back inside, and Ironhide is a wide, spacious army rover?
Image

Check out my Art Thread! It actually gets updated from time to time!
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/beastprowl-s-art-thread-t102641s50.php

Also taking commissions! Inquire via PM if interested :D
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6411
News Credits: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: The Badass Crater of Badassitude
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby RAcast » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Motto: "Can't stop, so what! That's how I like it!"
Weapon: Rocket Launcher
BeastProwl wrote:
Hip-Hoptimus Rime wrote:I love the Energon combining-toy gimmick, but I refuse to combine toys of different scale. Never even tried the Jetfire/Ironhide combo. You can't make me! :evil:

Could I make you if I said that Jetfire is a single man space shuttle, where the man lays on his back inside, and Ironhide is a wide, spacious army rover?

Well, Ironhide basically IS a wide-spacious army rover. There's no other logical explanation for the ginormous turret!
Old fasioned games!
And new fashioned friends!
Come on everybody this is Ta-ble Flip!
Image
User avatar
RAcast
City Commander
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby Justanormalguy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Motto: "When it comes to war... or anything, always be yourself, no matter what."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
RAcast wrote:
BeastProwl wrote:
Hip-Hoptimus Rime wrote:I love the Energon combining-toy gimmick, but I refuse to combine toys of different scale. Never even tried the Jetfire/Ironhide combo. You can't make me! :evil:

Could I make you if I said that Jetfire is a single man space shuttle, where the man lays on his back inside, and Ironhide is a wide, spacious army rover?

Well, Ironhide basically IS a wide-spacious army rover. There's no other logical explanation for the ginormous turret!


I dislike Energon Ironhide. He clogs shelves. But seriously his voice is awful.
Image
When Megatron..
Justanormalguy
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm
Location: Autobot city
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: ???

Re: A question about power-linking.

Postby RAcast » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Motto: "Can't stop, so what! That's how I like it!"
Weapon: Rocket Launcher
Justanormalguy wrote:
RAcast wrote:
BeastProwl wrote:
Hip-Hoptimus Rime wrote:I love the Energon combining-toy gimmick, but I refuse to combine toys of different scale. Never even tried the Jetfire/Ironhide combo. You can't make me! :evil:

Could I make you if I said that Jetfire is a single man space shuttle, where the man lays on his back inside, and Ironhide is a wide, spacious army rover?

Well, Ironhide basically IS a wide-spacious army rover. There's no other logical explanation for the ginormous turret!


I dislike Energon Ironhide. He clogs shelves. But seriously his voice is awful.

But his pants are awesome.
Old fasioned games!
And new fashioned friends!
Come on everybody this is Ta-ble Flip!
Image
User avatar
RAcast
City Commander
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Next

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers MOVIE DOTM BASIC HUMAN ALLIANCE TAILPIPE PINPOINTER SERGEANT NOBLE - Time Remaining: 4 days 12 hours 33 minutes 15 seconds
IDW REVOLUTION 1-5 + ONE-SHOTS GI JOE ROM TRANSFORMERS MASK SET NM - Time Remaining: 7 days 1 hour 38 minutes 57 seconds
Transformers Cybertron Robots In Disguise OPTIMUS PRIME/ULTRA MAGNUS - Time Remaining: 2 days 4 hours 41 minutes 47 seconds
2012 Transformers Prime Robots In Disguise Thundertron Star Seeker NEW - Time Remaining: 4 days 20 hours 50 minutes 31 seconds
TAKARA TOMY Transformers Legends Head Master LG22 SKULLCRUNCHER action figure - Time Remaining: 8 days 6 hours 51 minutes 5 seconds
TRANSFORMERS BEAST HUNTERS GIANT OPTIMUS PRIME PLUS BEAST FIRE PREDAKING MIBS - Time Remaining: 5 days 20 hours 52 minutes 34 seconds
Transformers Classic Decepticons Combaticons Brawl Bruticus MOSC Hasbro UK 1990 - Time Remaining: 8 days 54 minutes 17 seconds
TAKARA TOMY Transformers Legends Series Head Master LG23 GALVATRON action figure - Time Remaining: 2 days 1 hour 55 minutes 56 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #175 - Bayhem
Twincast / Podcast #175:
"Bayhem"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, May 25th, 2017
Website Security Test