This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers: The Movie Prequel #1 advance review

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Transformers: The Movie Prequel #1 advance review

Postby Denyer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:14 am

http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/movieprequel1a.php

Asked after staff of other TF sites doing advance reviews of stuff... the person to talk to is Dan Taylor. I've only seen them at Fractal Matter, so it'd be nice to get other TF places involved.

Anyway... enjoy, feel free to point out stupid mistakes on my part, etc. :)

edit: It kind of goes without saying, but there are a few spoilers in the review.
Denyer
Minibot
News Credits: 27

Postby Tigertrack » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:54 am

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading this myself.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Hotrod » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:30 pm

Front paged and credited Denyer! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Hotrod
City Commander
News Credits: 2024

Postby Autobobby1 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:43 pm

Weapon: Gattling Gun
Very interesting backstory! Megatron ruled Cybertron with Prime, then declared war are sides were chosen? Cool!
Mashed potatoes can be your friends!
Autobobby1
Godmaster
News Credits: 2
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby zoso504 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:45 pm

Maybe I'm misreading the reviewer's thoughts, but was he/she hinting that the Allspark generated life on Earth? Interesting...
zoso504
Mini-Con

Postby Denyer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:05 pm

Nope. Just what Prime's reasoning was in sending it away from Megatron's reach. Certain TFs could have been on Earth a while before the movie's set, I think, what with [redacted spoilers about things hinted for the movie plot in online sources] but it didn't feel as if there was a link between Prime's explanation and the next issue caption later on.

The impression is that getting the Allspark back is urgent, so that even when Bumblebee says it took him a while to communicate where Megatron had gone, not much time has passed and the pressure's still on.

Of course, it could theoretically work out that way and Cybertron be dead by the timeframe the movie's set in. But I'm guessing not.
Denyer
Minibot

Postby Alex Kingdom » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:11 pm

Nice review, sound like the comic book might be half decent. However this paragraph sums up pretty much how I feel about the movie:

Denyer wrote:There's a pretty good chance I'm going to enjoy this more than the movie. I know, it's partly my own fault, I shouldn't have read the scripts, and if I hadn't I wouldn't be expecting the cinematic debut of Independence Day With Robots. It's a bit harder to get really stoked about a film when you're watching for the CGI and lots of things blowing up. For me it is, anyway.

I'm going to find it very hard not to allow the other fiction related to the movie, be it well written or not, from being tainted by the movie itself. Which is why this is such a good review. It very hard, if you of the opinion that this movie will not be particularly good, to be able to judge the spin off/promotional material on it's own merits. Excellent review.

Yours AK
Alex Kingdom
Banned
News Credits: 1093

Postby Lunarabbit » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:28 pm

Motto: ""To whom much is given, much is required. That really takes the pressure off me.""
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
Hmmm... looks like one of the covers shown might provide an answer to a certain question regarding the new list that includes a few non-movie movie toys....
Lunarabbit
Mini-Con
News Credits: 1
Alt Mode: Starfighter
Endurance: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby dragons » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:39 pm

i like the art very much if it wasnt the leaked pictures i would have never figured out who was who on the cover but he didnt mention why all the decepticons look like shockwave strange and is that ironhide with a crossbow?, arcee, or someone completely differnt we havnt seen just yet ill be getting both covers.?
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Lunarabbit » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 pm

Motto: ""To whom much is given, much is required. That really takes the pressure off me.""
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
dragons wrote:...and is that ironhide with a crossbow?

I'd say it's pretty safe to wager that it isn't Ironhide....
;)
Lunarabbit
Mini-Con
Alt Mode: Starfighter
Endurance: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby Cumulus » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:09 pm

sweetness all around, definitely looking forwrad to it
Cumulus
Mini-Con

Postby Denyer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:03 pm

dragons wrote:why all the decepticons look like shockwave

From what I gather, final designs for most of the "name" characters are still under wraps to a degree (in spite of any leaks) because of publicity arrangements for the movie. IDW is cleared to use them for the comics themselves, but having covers with too many spoilers out there ahead of time would be a big no-no. The first issue concentrates mainly on establishing a few characters. Reckon it'd confuse the new folk a lot otherwise.

Most of the cues I was talking about are interior art and appearances, though that bulky dark grey 'Con on the second cover reminds me a lot of Barricade. :)
Denyer
Minibot

Postby bumblezzz » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:59 pm

actually I think prime jazz bb ratchet and ironhide are all there. look under bumblebees legs. and for ratchet it is the red one. looks like concept art of the red ratchet.
bumblezzz
Vehicon

Postby Stormrider » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:24 am

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
Thanks for sharing the prequel. The story is actually getting me interested in the movie. The artists do a pretty good job of taking the movie protoforms and trying to give them a Transformer appearance that we are more familar with.

One question - if the Allspark is full of unyielding energy, then why doesn't it fry Spike when he runs off with it?
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby Stormrider » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:25 am

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
stormrider wrote:Thanks for sharing the prequel. The story is interesting. The artists do a pretty good job of taking the movie protoforms and trying to give them a Transformer appearance that we are more familar with.

One question - if the Allspark is full of unyielding energy, then why doesn't it fry Spike when he runs off with it?
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby Leonardo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:58 pm

While I like the artwork, that image of the crossbow-wielding TF, if it is a crossbow, made me think instantly of Samus Aran and not Transformers. I'm sorry if that comes across as a slur, but to me they resemble more humans in cybersuits than Cybertronians.

I'm willing to accept that's a close-minded view of it, however.
Leonardo
Faction Commander

Postby Liege Evilmus » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:39 pm

I like that review, well writen and worded. I normaly pass on the comics(I know I shouldn't) so for someonelike me, this was a perfect summation!

I look forward to issue 2.

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 8

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KREON 4-PACK Transformers Kre-o Universal Optimus Prime Evac Megatron Bumblebee"
KREON 4-PACK Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Keychain Flashlight Transformers Armada Hasbro 2004 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Keyc ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE (Purple) Transformers Super7 Keshi Surprise Autobot Series Decoy"
BUMBLEBEE (Purple) ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Fan Book 2021 with OPTIMUS PRIME + BUMBLEBEE Legion Figures Takara"
Transformers Fan B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHATTER Transformers Bumblebee Movie Energon Igniters Power Plus Series 2018 New"
SHATTER Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Earthspark Deluxe Mandroid wave Hasbro 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEAD OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Super7 Ultimates 7" action figure WV4 2024 New"
DEAD OPTIMUS PRIME ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "World's Smallest Transformers BUMBLEBEE 1.25" Micro Action Figure Authentic New"
World's Smallest T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Energize OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Rescue Bots PVC figure 2013 Playskool"
Energize OPTIMUS P ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME COMMANDER-BOT Transformers Rescue Bots 2011 Playskool 191206a"
OPTIMUS PRIME COMM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATTLE FOR ENERGON Transformers Kre-o set Optimus Prime + Megatron 2012 New"
BATTLE FOR ENERGON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ARCEE Transformers Bumblebee Plastic Model Kit 73 pcs Trumpeter 2022 New"
ARCEE Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RAVAGE Transformers Studio Series Core Class Bumblebee Hasbro 2022 New"
RAVAGE Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KUP Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Studio Series 86-02 Hasbro 2022 New"
KUP Transformers B ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Xort and Highbrow" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Blitzwing and Decepticon Hazard" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 04 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON