Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films

Transformers News: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films

Friday, February 8th, 2019 10:47PM CST

Category: Movie Related News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 21,579

During the Hasbro 4th Quarter Earnings Conference call, Brian Goldner spoke about the current state of the Transformers brand, especially in terms of the entertainment side. While this could have all been predicted, based on what we heard from Lorenzo Di Bonventura, it is nice to see confirmation that Hasbro and Paramount are continuing their endeavours in the Transformers film franchise since Bumblebee (referred to here as an entreprise etirely of himself) is profitable.

There was no indication if that means specifically a Bumblebee sequel, all we know is there is more than one idea in the works currently for a Transformers themed film with Paramount. You can read the quote below:

On Transformers, in the fourth quarter was up both in the US and internationally, so up overall. We really successfully reengaged fans and families with Bumblebee. It's done over $450 million globally.

The early indications as we enter the New Year are for a strong ESP and home entertainment window, and we believe that the enterprise for Bumblebee, including the film, is profitable for Hasbro go forward.

Obviously we're in the early days. Haven't hit the home entertainment window yet. We haven't even opened in Japan yet, and the movie is still in theaters.

We knew In addition to the feature film, which is an important element and we are working on new films ideas with Paramount in partnership with Jim Giannopoulos and that team, and they're fantastic, we also have television on Cartoon Network, Netflix offering, and preschool offering. So across the board, it's a brand that really embodies our brand blueprint strategy, and we continue to believe very strongly in the power of the franchise.

Credit(s): Hasbro earnings conference

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009051)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on February 8th, 2019 @ 11:11pm CST
So, a bit too vague to get anyone's hopes up for that Beast Wars movie.

Why do I suddenly have this feeling that a live action Bot-Bots movie is just as likely?

Regardless, I guess this means Bee did well enough.
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009057)
Posted by Deadput on February 9th, 2019 @ 12:43am CST
I don't care what the next movie or two is as long as their good and entertaining.

Would also prefer a reboot using Bumblebee as the first movie in a new continuity but if some miracle man can somehow make the Bay continuity actually work then I guess more power to them.
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009071)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 9th, 2019 @ 4:30am CST
Bumblevivisector wrote:So, a bit too vague to get anyone's hopes up for that Beast Wars movie.

Regardless, I guess this means Bee did well enough.

... I would watch a BotBots movie...

Also I now think that bee should stay a prequel to the Bay movies, as they aren't that hamstrung in certain terms. Only guidelines are no Megatron (give other cons chance to shine) bots (aside from bee) have to leave earth before 2007. That's a twenty years gap (could have been more of bee was set in the early eighties but what can you do).

Then give us a full reboot with a new take on their origins,with another style (more styles = more toys for hasbro to sell)
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009082)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on February 9th, 2019 @ 6:44am CST
If they could make a full CGI movie based on that awesome Cybertron intro scene from the Bee Movie, I'd be glad. If the story is Megatron's origin and the start of the Transformers civil war, I'd be really happy! :BOWDOWN:
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009085)
Posted by robotcaveman on February 9th, 2019 @ 7:29am CST
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009089)
Posted by GeekyGamer Gal on February 9th, 2019 @ 8:15am CST
robotcaveman wrote:Looks good. YouTuber AndySupreme99,already confirmed that thanks to Bee’s success, we’re gonna get FIVE new tf movies in the future. There’s gonna be a Cybertron prequel, a Bumblebee 2, a Beast Wars movie, an Optimus Prime movie, and these four will build up to the Avengers styled Blockbuster Transformers Film. Get pumped folkes, we got a lot to look forward to in the upcoming decade.;)

:shock: That's a lot of movies... Bee did well, but it wasn't a box office smash, I honestly think AndySupreme99 might be jumping the gun. Then again if they're gonna try and work it like the Marvel movies... :-?

Either way, I hope Bumblebee has show Paramount/Hasbro/Hollywood/WHOMEVER that the only way that these movies work for both just entertainment value and critical value is to have someone in the director's chair that actually CARES about the franchise. Bay did well in bringing Transformers back into the limelight with his :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: manner, but I don't think it should have gone on for as long as it did. Knight has been a relief as he focused on the characters and interactions to create an emotional connection to reflect his emotional connection with the characters. I just hope that whomever takes the reigns for any of these movies has the same care, consideration, and just does the research to make it work.
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009102)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 9th, 2019 @ 9:37am CST
Actually none of what that YouTuber has said is 100% confirmed, we've newsed various pieces that have said as much. The prime movie was spoke about by the producer in terms of how they would approach it, beast wars was merely hinted at and is as far from happening as you can get. Also they aren't doing it the marvel way at all. Not using this continuity that is. What is normally spoken about in those terms is the hasbro cinematic universe, where GI Joe, Micronaughts and the like would get their films and then put together.

If I had to guess I'd say that YouTuber just pulled rumours together from different sources
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009103)
Posted by Aimless Misfire on February 9th, 2019 @ 9:47am CST
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009108)
Posted by william-james88 on February 9th, 2019 @ 10:11am CST
Aimless Misfire wrote:I'm not interested in anything if Bumblebee is the major focus. He ruined the franchise for me. I'm still messing around with some Combiner Wars but other than that I'm done with this franchise. There is nothing here for me anymore. Been a fan since 84 but between the MENTALLY SICK BUMBLEBEE WORSHIP the fans are currently suffering from & the constant price hikes I've lost interest.

Clearly not enough, or else you wouldn't still be here looking at the news :lol:
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009114)
Posted by Oh, No. This Guy. on February 9th, 2019 @ 10:28am CST
So, I am happy to hear that they're working on the next film, which will hopefully be good, whatever it is. However, what interests me most about this article is the news (at least to me, I don't know if you guys somehow found out about this) that Netflix is offering to work with Hasbro on a potential Transformers Netflix Original. I would love it if we could convince them to either make a cartoon adaptation of IDW's More than Meets the Eye, with James Roberts in control, or make something completely original and amazing, with Roberts or any other creative person in control of it.

:rodimusstar:
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009154)
Posted by GeekyGamer Gal on February 9th, 2019 @ 2:39pm CST

I'm not a fan of 'Bee either, and I was extremely hesitant to watch another Transformers movie after that Last Knight fiasco. I did however give this movie a chance after having watched the Laika films, especially Kubo since that was Knight's directorial debut, and was surprised when it turned out to be my second favorite movie of the year.

That is to say Bumblebee (movie) is not without any flaws, and I'll happily admit that Bumblebee (character) in the recent decades has become this icon for children marketing that is a turn off for adult fans. It just comes down to how much do you actually enjoy the other characters in this franchise, as it seems a waste to let one bad little bee ruin everything.

Oh, No. This Guy. wrote:Anyways, I just REALLY want to see my favorite piece of TF media get some animated love and attention.

Don't we all? If the director is good, I'm all for it. :POPCORN:
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009158)
Posted by Burn on February 9th, 2019 @ 3:25pm CST
Question ...

Why do people say Knights "cares" about the franchise and that Bay didn't?

Isn't it more likely a case of they're two different directors who had different writing staff? Hence the ... difference?
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009161)
Posted by william-james88 on February 9th, 2019 @ 3:31pm CST
Burn wrote:Question ...

Why do people say Knights "cares" about the franchise and that Bay didn't?

Only up to an extent. Both Knight and Bay were also in charge of the look of the film. Bay chose to make the characters have less smooth surfaces (to help with realism in lighting an such) but Knight wanted them closer in look to the G1 style. Knight grew up with the Transformers and is a fan and while I dont have a specific quote, I do not think that Bay knew of this brand well before being given it. And that can explain their different choices. Also, we know that Bay did not care to have Peter Cullen voice Optimus Prime for the first film (at first).
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009165)
Posted by Burn on February 9th, 2019 @ 3:46pm CST

Just seems to me it's two directors who have two different styles working with a bunch of different writers.

And it's time people accepted that the writers need to be held to task/lauded as well instead of blaming/praising just the director. As far as I'm concerned, the Bay movies got progressively worse as the writers changed.

Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009330)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on February 10th, 2019 @ 3:58am CST
Burn wrote:So this whole "Travis Knight cares about the franchise" is baseless. He has a different style to directing and he had a decent writer to work with.

I agree with that too. Seeing the robots in all their G1 glory on screen did please my inner fanboy, sure, but it was only a 5 minutes thing. If the story of the recent Bee movie had the same writers as the previous Bay movies, it will have been trash and would have been the final nail in the coffin.

Bee had a strong story and that's why the movie was good. The G1 look was a great cherry on top of the sundae but this time around the ice cream too was delicious. :-P
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009421)
Posted by GeekyGamer Gal on February 10th, 2019 @ 10:23am CST
Burn wrote:But that doesn't say to me Knight "cares", he grew up with them, that doesn't scream "fanboy".

Not completely. I know I mentioned before that I've watched a lot of Knight's LAIKA work, where he's been pretty much everything before directing Kubo and the two strings. In the bonus features for Kubo, Knight pretty much lays out how when he had a basic script for the movie and decided that it was to have a feudal/warring states period feel he dove into research. He spend months researching for how the characters should look, act, on how the sets should look, and what would be considered appropriate for that time period. He reached out to a couple of Japanese historical societies and museums to get the approval for his design choices, and then went above and beyond by making the more fantastical environments reflect the ukiyo-e woodblock prints. It was after he had the look completed that he then worked on the script and reworked it to better reflect what he had researched and changed with his sets and characters.

Knight is by far more meticulous and detail oriented than Bay on how his movie should work, which could be very well a by product of his stop motion animation background. Bay has stated in his interviews/behind the scenes that he's left the research to others and that he focuses more on how the visuals for the special effects look rather than how the scenes flow. I will however also state that the editing process can be a movie killer as well.

Long speech over with just this final comment. Movies have a lot of fingers in the clay shaping them, and yes directors will get most of the credit or blame because their name is always listed first, and they always have the chance to force a writer change or rework the script while in production. :lol: Then if the studio doesn't like it then they'll just fire the director, and get somebody else in there to take the fall. :lol:
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009443)
Posted by Ironhidensh on February 10th, 2019 @ 12:57pm CST
Well, after reading and watching several interviews with Knight, he has made it clear that he is a fan and did a lot of research on the subject. Bay never once made any impression of that sort, he just made Bay movies that had robots in them.
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009460)
Posted by Burn on February 10th, 2019 @ 1:50pm CST

I had nothing against Bay's style, but for me, with each change of writers, the movies got worse and worse. Christina Hodson deserves a good chunk of credit as well.
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009462)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 10th, 2019 @ 2:03pm CST
Burn wrote:So it's not so much that he "cares about Transformers", but more so "he cares about his craft".

As someone who doesn't care about the G1 bleed in with the Cybertron scenes, I would say she deserves most of the credit, I reckon even Bay would have had a hard time turning it into a bad movie.
Re: Hasbro Confirms Currently Working with Paramount on New Transformers Films (2009468)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 10th, 2019 @ 2:12pm CST
I'd say Bay cares very much about his craft. Countless interviews with both him and members of his film and production crew have talked about how meticulous and passionate he is about things like cinematography and special effects. Getting just the right angles, using the best possible technology to capture the scene just right, that sort of thing.

Granted, that's a different kind of "caring about the craft" than what's been said of Knight doing research and showing a loving appreciation towards the source material, but both men love different aspects of the craft.

I think it best boils down to, for better or for worse (it's all opinionated) what Lindsay Ellis once said in one of her video essays discussing the Transformers films through the lenses of film studies:

"In the intersection between the Bay politique and Transformers lies the answer both to why the films have been so successful, and why many fans of the franchise find the films so noxious. Bay politique appeals to a main stream, but it does not line up with the sincere honorship of nostalgia. The message in Michael Bay's Transformers about Transformers is not 'Let's leave these wonderful creations in the innocent world of children where they belong,' it's more along the lines of 'Why would you wanna play with plastic toys when you can play with titties, you *bleep*in' losers?' So when people say 'Michael Bay raped my childhood,' ...what they really mean is Michael Bay added politique to something innocent. Michael Bay took this memory of a property that I hold fondly and robbed it of its magical, nostalgic value by dragging it into this idea of things that 'really' matter like the military, titties, and cars, which are all shown as vastly superior to the childlike quality of the franchise itself. It isn't really even about political affiliation or world views so much as its reverence for the source material, of which Michael Bay has none, which is why people who have a vague memory of the Transformers franchise (i.e. - most people) tend to respond more positively to these movies than people with a more intense knowledge and affinity for the franchise."

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Brawl" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #217 - Toy Fair 2019
"Toy Fair 2019"
Posted: Monday, February 18th, 2019

Buy "Combiner Wars Ironhide Transformers Deluxe 2015 CW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Mirage" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return BLOWPIPE & TRIGGERHAPPY New in Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return MONXO & WOLFWIRE figure boy toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Prowl Police Car Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Walgreens Exclusive Cloudraker and Wingspan MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Deluxe Class WOLFWIRE Weird Wolf Loose Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Deluxe Class Skullsmasher Complete" on EBAY