Friday, March 23rd, 2012 3:11pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Transtopia
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 64,305

Thanks to fellow Seibertronian Autobot032, we found out about this fix for First Edition Optimus Prime's head. Apparently, the head is not properly snapped on to the ball joint. Here's how to fix it:

• Unscrew the back of the head
  • Separate the front and back halves of the head. Notice the back of the head is on the ball joint, but is not "snapped" on properly.
  • Snap the back of the head onto the ball joint. You will need to use a little pressure.
  • Reattach the front half of the face.
  • Screw the head back together

(As always, you should be careful when modifying your Transformers toys. We are not responsible if you follow these steps and somehow manage to cause damage to your figure.)

This modification will make Optimus' head look a little more proper. His chin is not as close to his neck as it was before plus he gains extra head movement that you would expect from a ball joint. He's now able to look up without his head popping off.

Apparently this fix has been talked about for a while on some forums. If the person who figured this out can step forward, I would be happy to update the news story accordingly to give proper credit for this.

Below are some pictures demonstrating the differences before and after the fix as well as some pictures demonstrating once again how bad ass this figure is. The images below click through to the full Seibertron.com gallery of the Takara Tomy version of Optimus Prime. Enjoy!

Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361620)
Posted by Mr_Wayne on March 23rd, 2012 @ 3:46pm CDT
Lol i just thought that was how the head was suppose to be. Thanks for the help
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361626)
Posted by ubertenorman on March 23rd, 2012 @ 4:23pm CDT
WOAH. Apparently that fix also makes his colors brighter ;)

Anyway, good to know! I always thought he just had a swivel....
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361629)
Posted by kirbenvost on March 23rd, 2012 @ 4:30pm CDT
One BAMF. 8)
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361639)
Posted by mattwhite924 on March 23rd, 2012 @ 5:05pm CDT
I just tried this, and it was pretty easy. His head works much better now.
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361640)
Posted by philtron3030 on March 23rd, 2012 @ 5:08pm CDT
Awesome tip thanks! Now I really need to get my hands on double weeps for prime

Weps*
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361655)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on March 23rd, 2012 @ 5:55pm CDT
just that one small thing can make an awesome toy better. thanks man!
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361658)
Posted by Autobot032 on March 23rd, 2012 @ 6:00pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:I can't take credit for any of these. They were listed on TFW awhile back and I never got around to sharing them. I'm surprised these tidbits didn't get out to the people before this.

In their forums or in their news section?

Forums.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transform ... ut-90.html

Post #896

Poster name: Ishino

Quoted post:

Ishino wrote:One thing for anyone with FE Voyager Optimus.

The head isn't correctly assembled. There's a balljoint on the neck, and a socket in the head, but for some reason it's not inserted in there, it's just kind of wedged between the two halves of the head. If you unscrew the head and pop the ball into the socket, you'll find the neck articulation greatly increased. Also, the head will no longer push up the roof in truck mode, meaning you can push the roof down flush and it stays there.

There's all kinds of FE and PRID secrets in that thread. From the page I'm linking, onward.

And one I just found myself. PRID Ratchet's shoulders lock in place. They stop due to resistance, but I noticed a notch and sure enough, they lock in place.
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361678)
Posted by Evil_the_Nub on March 23rd, 2012 @ 7:33pm CDT
So the awesome figure hasbro screwed us out of just got a little better.
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361679)
Posted by Autobot Joe on March 23rd, 2012 @ 7:35pm CDT
Brilliant....absolutely brilliant. Who'd have thought such a minute "fix" would make that much of a difference. Now that it's fixed and the roof sits flat in truck mode, I think I can finally appreciate this figure. I am truly impressed with whoever took the time to dissect Prime and figure this out. Thank you.
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361682)
Posted by Vicalliose on March 23rd, 2012 @ 7:44pm CDT
Now if only I actually had an FE Optimus to fix... :-?

Hey to anyone actually going to BotCon please remember to keep bugging them about this.
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361692)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on March 23rd, 2012 @ 8:12pm CDT
There was a similar problem to this with Generations Kup. His head was on, but not on right, so it just flopped around loosely until performing this same fix. I don't know how widespread the issue was, but it was common enough that I read about the fix before getting mine, and indeed, it had the issue.
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361721)
Posted by Dermalartist on March 23rd, 2012 @ 9:06pm CDT
I wanted to let everyone know that taking the head apart is completely not needed in order to fix this. Just gently push the head forward and it will slide right into place. I just did it to mine, in fear of stripping the screw. Just an FYI.
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361763)
Posted by Rated X on March 23rd, 2012 @ 11:15pm CDT

I hate intergrated weapons because it sacrafices cartoon accuracy just to make the figure kid friendly. Some dumb kid swallows a sword so we all have to suffer for it.
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361770)
Posted by Evil_the_Nub on March 23rd, 2012 @ 11:45pm CDT
Vicalliose wrote:Now if only I actually had an FE Optimus to fix... :-?

Please do. Ride their ass until they cave.
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361772)
Posted by Autobot032 on March 23rd, 2012 @ 11:53pm CDT
Rated X wrote:I guess you gotta own the figure to be able to tell the difference. Im not into TF Prime figures. So let me get this straight, he has no fists ? Basically Takara guns or Hasbro blades ???

*smh*

He has hands and the weapons are not integrated. They plug into the hands and look integrated.
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361784)
Posted by Seibertron on March 24th, 2012 @ 12:46am CDT

If you weren't busy with KOs and unofficial non-licensed figures and took a moment to check out the gallery that I spent at least 6 hours working on, you'd know that this toy was one of the most awesome Transformers toys to come out in the past few years.

:grin:

Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361811)
Posted by Mykltron on March 24th, 2012 @ 6:02am CDT
Does doing this fix make his head turn light blue?

Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361829)
Posted by Autobot Strider on March 24th, 2012 @ 8:16am CDT
Wow. Really, wow. Thanks for posting this as news! Not only does the head fix make this figure better, but since I attached the weapons the correct way (as posted by Autobot032, thanks BTW) I am even more impressed by this awesome figure.

I'll be honest, even without the above mentioned improvements I think this figure is one of the best toys ever, and certainly one of the best Optimus Primes. I'm really lucky to have snapped one up while they were available in Canada, and I just knew as soon as I saw in on a shelf that I had to have one.

Even if you're a hater of TF: Prime (which I am not), this figure is too awesome not to own. If you can get one at a reasonable price, get one. You won't be disappointed.
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361918)
Posted by Varia31 on March 24th, 2012 @ 3:53pm CDT
Mykltron wrote:Does doing this fix make his head turn light blue?

LOL Certainly not, the lighter blue is the Hasbro version compared to the darker Takara one so that you can see the head fix better. Not sure if you were joking or not, but oh well. :)

Just did this with my Takara FE Prime myself. Easy, and worked like a charm!
Re: Head fix instructions for Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Class OPTIMUS PRIME (1361992)
Posted by Rated X on March 24th, 2012 @ 8:49pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:

:grin:

Believe me I love your galleries. You put a great amount of effort into them and it shows. :D I’ve kind of side stepped collecting the TF Prime line because I cant buy everything so I prioritize classics related figures. I do love the TF Prime series though. I’m glad to see the figure has hands, now it looks really bad ass. I’m not a fan of how the weapons attach though. I prefer the traditional handles.

As far as the KO’s go, it’s simply my desire to have certain repainted characters that Hasbro wont make. On my Botcon 2010 survey I listed the Rainmakers as characters I would like to see in future sets. Funpub didn’t listen, but CHMS just read my mind from halfway around the world.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #274 - Pulse Fan Fest 2021
"Pulse Fan Fest 2021"
Posted: Sunday, April 18th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers Retro Reissue G1 Headmasters Highbrow (F1024)" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro F1027 Transformers Generations Retro Headmaster Skullcruncher Collectible" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Super7 GOLD ARMOR BUMBLEBEE ReAction Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Windcharger 100% Complete Legends Generations - Power of the Primes Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Attacktix Battle Figure Game Transformers Star Wars Optimus Prime Darth Vader" on EBAY
Buy "Super 7 Transformers Reaction 2020 Target Exclusive Gold Armor Bumblebee Figure" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS: WRECK-GAR....COMPLETE!!" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Titans Return Deluxe Class GRAX & Skullsmasher Headmaster" on EBAY