IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down

Transformers News: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down

Friday, March 9th, 2018 4:50AM CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Company News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 16,469

There has been a lot of buzz over at IDW Publishing recently, with Transformers comics creators teasing some big news, then the New York Toy Fair 2018 Brand team dropping the 'wrapping up continuities' comment, and fans and readers speculating on what this might mean for the stories currently being told - and this piece does not feed into it at all, but does have some fairly big repercussions on the current era of the IDWverse: EIC Chris Ryall is stepping down, and leaving the publisher altogether.

The announcement comes from his own social media accounts after the news leaked out, and was then reported and covered by several comics news outlets such as Comics Beat - see below - and other creators thanking Ryall for his work with the publisher since 2004. For Transformers specifically, Ryall was in charge of pretty much the whole run up to All Hail Megatron, responses to letter columns, co-wrote Rom the Spaceknight into the Revolution event, and may or may not have been Alternators Windcharger all along.

We do not know what this change will mean for the IDW output, their stories, and the Transformers events specifically, but the various encounters that Seibertron.com has had with Ryall have been good, entertaining, professional, and we wish him all the best in his future ventures.

Transformers News: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down

[url]I've been trying to reply to the outpouring of well-wishes and amazing sentiments from so many of you but I'm finding I can't keep up with all of them and I'm pretty spent after a very emotional day. Hard to leave such amazing people as there are at IDW and throughout the creative community. I'll soon try to properly sum up how it feels leaving IDW after 14 years but for now, I'm going to shut it all off and just breathe a little. But thank you all--I wish I'd had some way and enough time to convey to everyone I've worked with who's meant so much to me and made such an indelible mark on me how special all of this time has been. But know that it's implied and deeply felt. This article has a partial (not intended for public consumption) statement from me:[/url]

A lot of changes suddenly at comics companies all over. I’ve just learned that Chris Ryall, formerly Chief Creative officer and Editor-in-Chief at IDW, has stepped down.

The move is entirely of his own volition, I’m told.

Ryall joined IDW in June of 2004, and oversaw its steady growth in both licensed comics and originals, as well as writing titles including Zombies vs Robots, Groom Lake, The Hollows, The Colonized, and Onyx, and licensed titles including Transformers.

Ryall wrote a farewell email to staff which included the following:

Through it all—through the deadline craziness, market fluctuations, assorted business challenges, social-media storms, new faces, new projects, and new challenges—it’s all served as a constant reminder how lucky I’ve been to contribute to this industry that I love so much. And I plan to keep making contributions outside these walls. But for now, I’m stepping aside to take a break, get off the never-ending-deadline train and see what new challenge makes the most sense as my next move. It might seem short at times, but 14 years is a long time to do anything — I’ve certainly never done anything else in my life for this amount of time.
There’s not enough time or space to catalog the various successes that have happened here in that time and really, there’s no need — they’ve all been parts of a whole that has made this place such a thrill to work at for as long as I have. The successes and fun vastly outweighed the stresses, which is really a testament to the place that Ted and Robbie and company built in the first place. I’m appreciative as can be for all the opportunities IDW has afforded me. It’s just time to figure out my next move, that’s all.
I remain excited about comics, about creating, and about giving people good reasons to keep reading and, separately, about seeing everything IDW is going to do next. I first noticed IDW’s books in its earliest days, impressed by the care and uniqueness that those early titles offered, so it’s been a thrill to join all of you to build things out in an even bigger way. And I look forward to once again being able to experience IDW’s output with a fresh eye.

While his next move isn’t yet known, as shown by the above, Ryall seems to want to stay in the comics biz. As shown by his words, Ryall is known as a classy, even tempered executive, and I don’t doubt that he’ll have many opportunities in front of him.

This is the latest of a strong of changes at IDW. Recently co-founder Ted Adams moved from publisher to CEO, while Greg Goldstein moved into the Publisher position. PR manager Steven Scott also recently left the company.

Developing.
Credit(s): Chris Ryall, Comics Beat
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944917)
Posted by kirbenvost on March 9th, 2018 @ 5:14am CST
Wow, as a reader since the beginning of the IDW tf run, that's big news. I remember his letter responses in the back of the books and he always seemed like a great guy, so he will be missed. Best wishes for whatever he plans next! :)
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944922)
Posted by snavej on March 9th, 2018 @ 6:09am CST
What's a 'strong of changes' (last paragraph)? :???: :-? :rodimusstarhalf:
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944926)
Posted by Transcendent30 on March 9th, 2018 @ 6:17am CST
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944931)
Posted by Coptur on March 9th, 2018 @ 6:53am CST
It's a shame but is he leaving before the collapse? :-?

just a thought
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944941)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 9th, 2018 @ 7:49am CST
I wish him well, IDW have given us one of the freshest takes on the franchise we've had and in my opinion, one of the best. I wish Chris well and future success at whatever he does next.
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944943)
Posted by Randomhero on March 9th, 2018 @ 7:52am CST
Transcendent30 wrote:I just wish ALL of IDW's circle jerking SJW idiots would step down with him. These creeps have done nothing but ruin much loved 80's franchises with their feminist political nonsense, doing exactly what Marvel has done to their books. Goodbye and good riddence.

Ya know you started talking about IDW but I feel you trailed over to a tab ranting about 2016s ghostbusters movie remake instead.

Please keep your browser tabs more cleaned up.
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944946)
Posted by Transcendent30 on March 9th, 2018 @ 8:12am CST
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944949)
Posted by Randomhero on March 9th, 2018 @ 8:19am CST
Transcendent30 wrote:Nope, I'm "ranting" about how IDW ruined 1) Transformers 2) Gi-Joe 3) M.A.S.K. and 4) Visionaries, with SJW bullshit. They probably ruined other things as well, but I haven't got the sick buckets to investigate. I hope IDW dies a miserable death, along with their comrades at Marvel.

Yeah they actually do other books and do pretty well for themselves. Sorry you let new stuff rape your childhood and all. Maybe time to move on
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944951)
Posted by Aru on March 9th, 2018 @ 8:25am CST

Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944952)
Posted by Randomhero on March 9th, 2018 @ 8:26am CST
Ruined MASK and visionaries. Yup those two licenses that have thrived since they came out 30 years ago. Yeah okay suuuuure.

And G.I. Joe a brand that literally has been surviving off subscription service figures after two failed movies.

Yeah you know nothing dude
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944954)
Posted by ScottyP on March 9th, 2018 @ 8:33am CST

Irresponsible sentence follows: who wants to place bets he's going to Marvel to work on...

Rom
:michaelbay:
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944957)
Posted by Randomhero on March 9th, 2018 @ 8:39am CST
ScottyP wrote:Mr. Ryall is someone that, as a Transformer fan, I owe a great deal of gratitude. He was instrumental in forging IDW's path with the property. I hope for nothing but the best for Chris in the future!

Rom
:michaelbay:

Let’s jusy hope he fairs better than Schmidt did. Left to work for Hasbro and got laid off 6 months later
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944964)
Posted by MagicDeath on March 9th, 2018 @ 9:10am CST

I mean, I can see why social commentary could make a series less enjoyable, but I honestly haven’t seen too much of it in IDW. Roberts does it a bit, but it seemed fine in MtMtE (don’t know about LL).

Sorry if this is off-topic!
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944984)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 9th, 2018 @ 10:13am CST

Rom
:michaelbay:

Wait I thought Rom was IDW now? Or is it part of the weird thing where marvel had all his old back story...am I looking into this too much? My first thought was had he been snapped up by DC since they recently decided to expand their non-continuity output including frank miller (!) Working on a new superman origin tale (!!!!!)

Regarding IDW treatment of mask and visionaries, I can understand emotions running high if you loved them but I don't understand and never did was how they affected memories...like when Michael Bay did the first movie...I wondered if he had the supernatural ability to enter people's minds and do nasty things to their childhood memories, though I dismissed that as why would be make movies if he could do that and take over the world.

To get back on topic, I'll miss his little intros that he used to do in the previews magazine when they got to the IDW section, I Hooe who ever takes over continues on with them
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944988)
Posted by Va'al on March 9th, 2018 @ 10:19am CST
snavej wrote:What's a 'strong of changes' (last paragraph)? :???: :-? :rodimusstarhalf:

A very thick string! (but also a typo) :D
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1944997)
Posted by Absolute Geist on March 9th, 2018 @ 10:39am CST
Randomhero wrote:

I am in complete agreement with this. I don’t think social issues that are happening in our world should always reflect what happens in comics. To give it a sense of realism, sure... but IDW has really turned me off of Transformers; at least from a strictly comic book sense.

Thats also not fair to say either. Why is it that .0000001% of the fanbase gets their voices heard, and for everyone else (everyone that pretty much keeps transformers alive) gets hung out to dry? It is a heavy presence, and I for one think it’s unneeded

Why must transformers have discussions about gender and sexuality? there doesnt need to be on overarching feminist agenda, there doesnt need to be a lqbtq+abcdefg agenda. First off why does it need it? What does it truly benefit? Wouldnt something that could be used more organically work better? This isnt to say these issues are not important, but I feel as if they are putting it in for the sake of putting it in.

Furthermore, everyone has the right to express how they feel, so I find it really disingenuous of someone who makes frequent posts vs. some new person to tell them they should move on. Wow. You want inclusivity right? Sounds pretty hypocritical youre so quick to woosh away.
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1945007)
Posted by Transcendent30 on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:12am CST
*Facepalms @ millenial Marxists*.
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1945009)
Posted by Transcendent30 on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:16am CST
Aru wrote:I really despise people like you. With your man baby principles who feel any bit of inclusion of people unlike yourself means that your "precious" childhood is being taken away from you. Grow up. I'm sorry did your parents never teach you to share or are you just afraid of running into people in your comic shop that don't have the same skin color or equipment between there legs. I'm sure you will figure out how to talk to a girl at some point junior. Get over yourself.

Trust me, the despise is mutual. There is no need to s**t on franchises from the past by shoehorning in transgender and racial minorities that were not there in the first place. Leoric from the Visionaries was a white man, as was Matt Trakker from M.A.S.K.. What have IDW done with that? Oh yes, changed them into black men, because as we all know, being a white male means being worth *less* than a minority in the rulebook of SJW opression politics. If you stupid millennials want every character in a story to be some kind of minority with a repression background, please invent NEW stories and NEW franchises. There is no need to destroy what was great about the 80s. I looked in horror at what IDW did to GI-Joe. They all look like intersectional fat trans-women, rather than the heroic warriors they are meant to be. And in Transformers? We actually now have Trans-formers, who can shift sexes from male to female. What does any of this add to the story? Nothing, it's just far left political hand wringing by annoying little children, who never saw a day of the 80s. I agree with Simon Furman, the idea of sexless robots having genders is BULLS**T, as is IDW comics and all their millennial kiddy fans.
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1945015)
Posted by Absolute Geist on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:32am CST
And in Transformers? we actually now have Trans-formers, who can shift sexes from male to female. What does any of this add to the story? Nothing, its just far left political hand wringing by annoying little children who never saw a day of the 80s. I agree with Simon Furman, the idea of sexless robots having genders is BULLSHIT, as is IDW and all their millennial kiddy fans.

You know, I’m actually late 80s, but I have a very deep appreciation for it despite not being around for it.

Whats hard to really grasp is that they don’t watch g1, or headmasters, or anything “older”. It’s almost exclusively Aminated, Prime, and IDW.
Again, I don’t necessarily think it’s fair for this subset of fans to dictate everything else Transformers. You want the comic? Fine, it’s yours. Im trying to sell my entire collection and I have no biters. What do you think that shows about the value?

To the point, he did a lot of great work, but the whole group needs to go. It’s for the best.
Re: IDW Publishing EIC Chris Ryall To Step Down (1945016)
Posted by Va'al on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:33am CST
Simon Furman, the writer of Spotlight: Arcee?

This Simon Furman?
OK, they were obviously "male" robots, but they were robots! Which are kind of genderless. I applaud what's been done of late, and done well, including in Earth Wars, which features several female Transformers like Windblade, Rust Dust, Stormclash, Skyburst, Slipstream, and more still to come.

Cool.

As for Ryall stepping down - aka the topic of this thread - it'll be an interesting move, especially as he very recently made it back to EIC, only to now leave entirely. :-?

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Overlord Decepticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Wheeljack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Roadburn" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #222 - The Real Ghostbusters
"The Real Ghostbusters"
Posted: Sunday, May 12th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Prime Cyberverse Beast Hunters Shockwave Starscream Optimus lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Optimus Prime BRAND NEW SEALED Autobot Leader" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Prime Beast Hunters  Prowl  With Justice Hammer NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Prime - Beast Hunters - Deluxe Class, Starscream No Box" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations - GDO - Deluxe, Springer Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations - Fall of Cybertron - Deluxe, Ultra Magnus..." on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Héros Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Race Track Trailer New" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Transformers Beast Hunters Voyager Class Megatron Decepticon Hasbro Prime" on EBAY