Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate?

Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate?

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 7:49pm CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 37,749

Transformers Ongoing issue #17 is packed with plenty of action...I suggest grabbing it Wednesday if you’ve been interested in the series at all. There’s a huge WTF moment at the end of this issue that will have you begging for more, or calling foul. I suggest grabbing this purely for the significance of that particular moment in Transformers history.

Alex Milne does a really nice job of adding his uber-detailed art to the series in this his second full issue of the series. He sticks with Don’s designs, but still manages to add a few of his own tiny additions to the designs and resurrect long lost members of the early Earth Autobot cast to put his stamp on the series. Alex keeps the chins (goatees?), but manages to lose some of the facial and body details that were hard for some readers and critics to accept from Don.

Writer Mike Costa works to create what can seem to be best called the penultimate issue. The lead to the end (of this arc anyway). And this issue has plenty to offer as the issue that happens along the way to the end. Has he gone too far? Has it taken too long? Was it worth the wait of 17 issues? Good questions to think about.

Here comes some spoiler-y plot from the issue, without giving away too much!

As we saw last issue...the newly Shockwave upgraded Megatron returned to Earth and smacked the Ultra Magnus led Autobots in their collective face plates as they tried to turn with tail between legs and make their escape off of Earth. More of Megatron’s plots are revealed this issue and he really wants a piece of Optimus Prime, absolutely sure that Optimus and his fellow warriors didn’t explode, get deactivated, or get lost at sea on their way back from ‘the International Incident’ as has been suggested due to their absence.

Optimus obliges him, showing up, as Megatron knew he would with his group of warriors ready to take Megatron into custody.

Of course, this wouldn’t be Transformers if Megatron didn’t have some sort of trap involved. His goal: the humiliation of Optimus Prime before ultimately destroying him.

We find out Megatron has placed the captured Earth Autobots in a most precarious situation. Battered, trapped, and low on energy, Bumblebee and company have been placed in the middle of a school’s playground and who is there with guns pointed on them? Just some of the humans with ‘Megatron guns’ being fed a bit of misleading, mind-warping propaganda. Itchy trigger fingers, a huge crowd of gawkers, police, and very nervous Autobots are in a situation just waiting for some sort of ignition. Enter Jazz, and Spike who have been dispatched by Prowl and Optimus Prime to go try to help their brethren escape this horrible situation. The police choose to be very unhelpful, and we get our match strike...

Megatron boasts a lot to Prime about ideals and values, and Prime’s weakness for protecting life, even if that life seems to be on the edge of destroying him. The irony of Prime’s belief and how humans‘ perceive these robots is what Megatron looks to escalate, and use to destroy Prime’s faith, before destroying his body. Not just killing him, but utterly DESTROYING him.

Optimus Prime and his Autobots are held at bay from attacking Megatron by a gun pointblank in Ultra Magnus’ face, if Prime does not let things play out the consequences for Ultra Magnus look to be fatal. This situation leads to possibly one of the other more exciting points in the issue, and perhaps the series, besides the Jazz and Spike situation.

I’m going to leave off here with the plot spoilers. There is a small side story that works on finishing Brawn’s end of the story last issue where he was playing roughly with Starscream, who was playing very roughly with Thundercracker, and leaves us yet another piece of unfinished business to finish next issue, or in the near future.

This issue is mostly an enjoyable and fast read. The art is really well done, and the writing takes us to some points with characters both Autobot and Decepticon that many of us would not have predicted we would be talking about. While never perfect, this issue hits a memorable high, perhaps that some predicted, but that will ultimately change the face of perception for very many players.

Thanks for reading. I hope I encouraged you to keep trying with this series, and I hope you part with some of your hard earned dollars to pick this up tomorrow. I know some will still find this Transformers iteration to be subpar, and not worth the money due to this or that, but I found this issue to be entertaining, and fun, with as I said, some really cool (or sucky) surprises.

Credit(s): IDW Publishing

Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192124)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on March 8th, 2011 @ 8:54pm CST
I am not enjoying this Ultra Magnus bashing. Too bad Ironhide and Hot Rod are already dead..
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192126)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on March 8th, 2011 @ 8:58pm CST
amcgrath929 wrote:Too bad Ironhide and Hot Rod are already dead..

They're not. Ironhide's back already (making one wonder why Costa killed him in the first place; not the first or last time I find myself wondering why he does what he does) and the soliciations for #19 tease that Not Rod is coming back, too.
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192130)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on March 8th, 2011 @ 9:11pm CST
Darth Bombshell wrote:
amcgrath929 wrote:Too bad Ironhide and Hot Rod are already dead..

I haven't got to read the Ironhide mini yet so I didn't know the details. Had no idea about the Hot Rod info. Thanks
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192131)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on March 8th, 2011 @ 9:13pm CST
amcgrath929 wrote:I haven't got to read the Ironhide mini yet so I didn't know the details.

Long story short, Costa pulls incredibly boneheaded move in order to make Ongoing feel "adult". Does even more incredibly boneheaded move after apparently realizing how stupid first boneheaded move was. Does absolutely nothing to justify either boneheaded move in the eyes of anyone reading his stuff.
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192132)
Posted by Jacob P. Galvatron on March 8th, 2011 @ 9:18pm CST
Why don't I read this? Those designs are amazing.
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192133)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on March 8th, 2011 @ 9:22pm CST
Darth Bombshell wrote:

Hahaha well thanks. That clears things up. :lol:
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192134)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on March 8th, 2011 @ 9:22pm CST
Jacob P. Galvatron wrote:Why don't I read this?

Beacuse you have good taste?

amcgrath929 wrote:Hahaha well thanks. That clears things up. :lol:

Trust me. I'm only slightly exaggerating the stupidity of it all.
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192137)
Posted by feeiq90 on March 8th, 2011 @ 9:36pm CST
sometimes i wish the movieformers design to be like this :-B
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192217)
Posted by Tigertrack on March 9th, 2011 @ 6:56am CST
feeiq90 wrote:sometimes i wish the movieformers design to be like this :-B

Now that I could get on board with.
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192229)
Posted by rpetras on March 9th, 2011 @ 7:36am CST
feeiq90 wrote:sometimes i wish the movieformers design to be like this :-B

You are far from the first to say so. :)

But I totally agree.
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192241)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on March 9th, 2011 @ 8:21am CST
Ugh count me out if that ever happened. :SICK:
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192305)
Posted by cannonfodder4000 on March 9th, 2011 @ 10:41am CST
Broadside just looks so grand! >.<
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192609)
Posted by trence5 on March 9th, 2011 @ 8:03pm CST
If they kill off Ultra Magnus I'm through with this series :-x
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192613)
Posted by Tigertrack on March 9th, 2011 @ 8:08pm CST
trence5 wrote:If they kill off Ultra Magnus I'm through with this series :-x

You should know you will still be buying issues after this one. Rest easy friend.
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192641)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on March 9th, 2011 @ 8:43pm CST
trence5 wrote:If they kill off Ultra Magnus I'm through with this series :-x

They don't do that. But they do do something that should make any Transformers fan immediately drop the title and flood IDW's office with hate mail.

Serious, does ANYONE at IDW edit this thing? Is Schmidt actually working for them or are they just putting his name on it? I can't honestly believe they would put something like the last page of this out there without someone hitting an alarm bell.
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192742)
Posted by Pr1meSuspect on March 9th, 2011 @ 11:50pm CST
Have to check these out pretty soon, looks interesting.
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192773)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on March 10th, 2011 @ 1:32am CST

I found the last page pretty shocking. I don't think I've seen something like this in previous Transformers stories so I'm intrigued where this is going.
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192817)
Posted by Tigertrack on March 10th, 2011 @ 6:32am CST
Supreme Convoy wrote:I think this is the second time that Mike Costa has referenced Watchmen in his comics :)

WE talked about this on the podcast recording last night. Can't believe the character chosen to pull off that particular piece of the story. The guy who loves Earth customs and people (I know it's a NEW Jazz right?) is going to be the one to do that? Pfff...

Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1192872)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on March 10th, 2011 @ 9:20am CST
Supreme Convoy wrote:I found the last page pretty shocking. I don't think I've seen something like this in previous Transformers stories

It's only shocking if you haven't read the first issue of this series, where he did the exact same thing.

tigertracks 24 wrote:I waiting to hear something about how the red glasses officer was a clone, or pretender or something and Jazz knew it.

Don't count on it. Costa couldn't come up with such a plot twist if he tried.
Re: Teasing Transformers Ongoing #17- Off the Mark, or Deadly Accurate? (1193018)
Posted by Dagon on March 10th, 2011 @ 2:52pm CST
Darth Bombshell wrote:

Don't count on it. Costa couldn't come up with such a plot twist if he tried.

I don;t read Ongoing, I just keep abreat of it through this forum.

But, the Pretender Jazz idea (assuming my decoding is right, and Jazz crosses party lines...) could be interesting, and a convienient cop out.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Skywarp Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 03 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Crowbar" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "2013 SDCC Hasbro Exclusive: TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE Jetfire" on EBAY
Buy "2007 SDCC Exclusive Transformers Alternators Ford GT Rodimus MISB" on EBAY
Buy "GI JOE 2013 SDCC JOECON SNAKE EYES!! TRANSFORMERS CROSSOVER!!" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS MEGATRON PIN BY TOM WHALEN MONDO 2019 SDCC COMIC CON EXCLUSIVE" on EBAY
Buy "transformers metroplex sdcc titan class MISB" on EBAY
Buy "POO SHAM; Transformers BotBots 2018, Toilet Troop" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Trailbreaker Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots: Meet High Tide [Passport to Reading]" on EBAY