Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained

Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained

Monday, February 20th, 2017 10:37pm CST

Categories: Toy News, Site Articles
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 44,540

Many were both confused and surprised that Titans Return Ramhorn was not a datapad to interact with Titans Return Blaster, mirroring the interaction of the G1 toys, and instead having Ramhorn just be a Titan Master. Well, you have to give Hasbro some credit because what they give you instead is something for the ages. You see, Japan had designed a ton of head only characters, here is a diagram of the lot of them.

Transformers News: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained

Only a few made it to production with a finished product such as Lione...

Transformers News: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained

...and Shuffler

Transformers News: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained

Both of which are in the Titans Return line.

Well, take a look at this head, which was never made in the G1 era, and which turned into a rhinoceros.

Transformers News: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained

This is the design used in the Ramhorn head the Titan Master turns into.

Transformers News: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained

Transformers News: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained

So this head is not just a take on G1 Ramhorn in Titans Return but it is also that Japan only character which was to be released with Lione, Shuffler and the others. And it is finally happening 30 years later. Like Shuffler and Lione, the animal the head would have turned into back in G1 is now a Rhinoceros vehicle for the Titan Master to interact with.

So this is a deep cut from Hasbro showing that old designs we think will never see the light of day actually get brought back.

Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861653)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on February 20th, 2017 @ 10:38pm CST
Once again I find myself ending a bunch of tr reveals most excited by a titanmaster that turns into an animal...

:michaelbay:
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861654)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 20th, 2017 @ 10:40pm CST
william-james88 wrote:I dont see much similarity between those titan masters and that artwork.
A better comparison might be had with Giga's and Mega's actual cartoon models rather than the artwork from Overlord's original packaging:

Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861656)
Posted by WreckerJack on February 20th, 2017 @ 10:41pm CST
Its cute and tiny. I am kinda hoping they make Tantrum in some way shape or form. I can see they drew it up so there is hope, idk if it's Tantrum or just a bull tho. But either way I have an infatuation with horns.
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861657)
Posted by william-james88 on February 20th, 2017 @ 10:41pm CST
Sigma Magnus wrote:

It's not exact, but a lot of little details are there. Look closely.

It sure is no ramhorn, now that is freaken accurate to a T!
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861664)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 20th, 2017 @ 10:52pm CST
william-james88 wrote:
Sigma Magnus wrote:

It's not exact, but a lot of little details are there. Look closely.

It sure is no ramhorn, now that is freaken accurate to a T!
The side guns and head are Ramhorn's, though.
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861666)
Posted by Albatross250 on February 20th, 2017 @ 10:56pm CST
fenrir72 wrote:
But the original Mega and Giga godmasters are dead. Unless they or their personalities still live in the armor?

No They aren't dead, they were revived by Alpha Trion's Drill-something-warper that caused many Universes of the G1 and Masterforce which cause them to be alive, did you read the Chapter of Springer in the :TAKARATOMY: Manga?
Also, Mega is revived, also Giga too :michaelbay:
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861669)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 20th, 2017 @ 11:06pm CST
Albatross250 wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:

Also, Mega is revived, also Giga too :michaelbay:
The Ultra-Drill doesn't bring people back from the dead. It just enables people to travel between universes. Mega's appearance there was most likely just a temporary thing, with her being brought there from (and sent back to) a time before her death.
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861670)
Posted by william-james88 on February 20th, 2017 @ 11:06pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Sigma Magnus wrote:

It's not exact, but a lot of little details are there. Look closely.

It sure is no ramhorn, now that is freaken accurate to a T!
The side guns and head are Ramhorn's, though.

I was only referring to the head the titan master turns into.
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861671)
Posted by Albatross250 on February 20th, 2017 @ 11:10pm CST
william-james88 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Sigma Magnus wrote:

It's not exact, but a lot of little details are there. Look closely.

It sure is no ramhorn, now that is freaken accurate to a T!
The side guns and head are Ramhorn's, though.

I was only referring to the head the titan master turns into.

So basically :HASBRO: is making some missing Headmasters based on the Japanese artwork. :x 8-)
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861674)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on February 20th, 2017 @ 11:24pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Sigma Magnus wrote:

It's not exact, but a lot of little details are there. Look closely.

It sure is no ramhorn, now that is freaken accurate to a T!
The side guns and head are Ramhorn's, though.

In other words, while the Beast Mode is G1 Cassette Ramhorn, the Head Mode is the unproduced rhino Master Warrior. Nice going Hasbro, if only for the sake of finding something to redeco/retool the Shuffler mold with. :lol:

For those curious, here are animals considered. Note that some are quite specific:

I: Alligator
J: Dugong
K: Black-banded Sea Krait (a type of sea snake)
L: Kouprey (a type of ox)
M: Malay Flying Lizard (most likely the Common Flying Lizard)
N: Indian Rhino
O: Jackson's Chameleon
P: Bear
Q: Cobra
R: Igunana
S: Chameleon
T: Crocodile
U: Buffalo
V: Wolf
W: Cougar
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861677)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 20th, 2017 @ 11:27pm CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Sigma Magnus wrote:

It's not exact, but a lot of little details are there. Look closely.

It sure is no ramhorn, now that is freaken accurate to a T!
The side guns and head are Ramhorn's, though.

The beast mode has aspects of the Indian Rhino Headmaster as well.
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861681)
Posted by Un_Chakal on February 20th, 2017 @ 11:56pm CST
It's all good, Ramhorn can be Blaster's additional gun just like I have Overboard Overslay Overkill in Soundwave's hand now or by his side.
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861683)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on February 21st, 2017 @ 12:00am CST
william-james88 wrote:
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Will, you mentioned the digital integration. Much as I'd like to see that happen across the board for all transformers toys, do you really think that might be the Power of the Primes gimmick? It seems wierd that the flagship Generations line would follow the suit of the tv-tie-in RID line.

I was just thinking myself what the new gimmick could be, and I wondered; what if it's accessories? Eh? What always seems to be the difining artifact of primehood? The matrix. Now obviosuly not everyone can have a matrix. But what if everyone had a stupid Mech Tech weapon, or perhaps they go Cyber Planet Keys, which would unlock the so-called "power".

Heck, there's even precedent. Doesnt each of the original Primes have their own artifact? The Magnus Hammer, The Forge of Solus, etc?

In the alligned continuity yeah, they all have their own legendary accessories. Although I dont konw how much of g1 is picking up on alligned and where the toyline is now. If they do 13 primes in the generations line then does that mean that the generations line is not a reinterpretation of G1 but of the alligned ocntinuity instead? My head hurts.

Anyways... about me thinking if the ditigal integration is the line wide gimmick, yes I do 100%. This is of course pure speculation but its what I believe. People have been reading between the lines as to what hasbro was expressing during the last week-end when people asked reps random questions and the general consensus is that the gimick is line wide but wont have the same customisation angle (of CW or TR). So that lines up with the other rumours of it being more digital based. Its just a lot of rmours lining up together.

Anyways, Nemesis Maximo, I have a question for you. I remember what you said about TR Sixshot. Do you feel similarly to TR Overlord?

Similarly, but not necessarily the same. Where TR Sixshot fails spectacularly on almost every level for me - proprtions, poseability, sculpted detail - Overlord here at least has those in good form. Now where he loses points is the fact that Sky Shadow actually looks way better in that mold I think, probably in part due to the hype and excitement in waiting to see him. He never could have lived up to the beloved IDW characterization, but at least he doesn't straight up suck. (This is, of course, my own opinion on Sixshot.). Now, I would have liked to see Hasbro go to greater lengths to give him that gloriously sinister snarl/smile; with the faces being so important in this toyline, that's a missed opportunity in my mind.

And to your question of which continuity the toyline is following - be it G1 or Alligned - I'm not entirely sure my thoughts here will alleviate your headache or worsen it, but here goes. Obviously, the toyline is primarily G1, but we have and will continue to see additions from other series. Thrilling 30 had Beast Wars and Armada in the mix, Combiner Wars added new characters to well establieshed teams, and Titans Return has given us more Armada stuff and even a character who has never had a retail-release figure in Alpha Trion, who was made important by the Alligned continuity as far as the modern telling is concerned.

And don't forget, we're still seeing some of the effects of The Covenant of Primus in the media: while TF: Prime and the WFC/FOC games have ended, the IDW comics brought in the idea of the original 13 primes, and so far IDW is the closest thing we really have to "The New G1." So I guess my point is, don't worry too much about the continuity of the toyline itself. Now my head hurts too.
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861685)
Posted by Kurona on February 21st, 2017 @ 12:16am CST
The answer's really quite simple. The toyline is very clearly G1-centric - though fortunately, other things like JG1, IDW, Armada and hopefully going by the vote Beast Wars are starting to leak through - but there are certain things that have happened since G1 that Hasbro just wants to say how things are, like the 13 as portrayed in Aligned. Think of it as no different as when the Matrix of Leadership was retroactively said to have been in Optimus' chest for Seasons 1 and 2 in the movie, or when Beast Wars said that every Transformer has a spark within them, or how the Enigma of Combination is suddenly everywhere. If G1 is retconned to have always had the 13 as portrayed in Aligned, then that's just how it is.

tl;dr - it's G1 but we have the Aligned version of the 13 in it now
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861688)
Posted by fenrir72 on February 21st, 2017 @ 12:38am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
Albatross250 wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:

Also, Mega is revived, also Giga too :michaelbay:

That makes sense. Maybe during the Masterforce episode, A3 pulled them out and returned them back within a nanosecond with non knowing the wiser.

Reminds me of Kal El's stint as a member of LoSH. in the past, he was gone like a minute while in the future, cut his teeth in what is like a lifetime as a Legionnaire. Time travel paradoxes indeed 8-}
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861691)
Posted by Emerje on February 21st, 2017 @ 1:35am CST
Finally! 10 pages and I've finally caught up! I should have just taken Saturday off from work...

As far as what I want from Titans Return at Toy Fair this year, that's easily summed up.

Yeah, there isn't anything there I don't want, it's going to be a great year! I don't want to spend a lot of time on picking things apart, but I will make a few quick comments.

I'm very curious about what Takara Tomy plans to do with Trypticon. All of my Titans have been Japanese thus far and I have no regrets since I feel they've all been far superior to the Hasbro versions. But looking at Trypticon I really can't see anything that needs improving. Adding a light up Brunt is about the only improvement I can think of and that would probably require Hasbro doing the same for SDCC (along with lots of chrome).

Overlord would make a really neat G.I.Joe crossover in a Cobra Night Raven deco with a Strato Viper Titan Master and Seeker head. Not even close to comic perfect, but good enough for me.

Not crazy about Seaspray's face just being slightly covered by a panel. Any shots of how the Titan Master stores in him? Also strange that they displayed him with other figures we've seen finished and in stores, but also hand painted.

I'm really sold on the box sets (they're like cheap BotCon sets), especially one of them being a BBTS exclusive. TRU exclusives are so hard for me to find offline and aren't much better on their site. We'll see what happens, but I feel like it'll be hard for me to get that TRU set.

I know people are complaining about certain things not being in the sets that were originally rumored, but I think it's possibly we'll see them in other sets. With Super Ginrai being used there's a really good chance that Godbomber will show up as a Leader class figure for one of the other sets (Firepower most likely if that's really how the naming works). That would still leave another Leader for the intelligence set. Maybe Thunderwing? I know we're getting his Titan Master already, but why not consider it an alternative? Make Sky Shadow and Overlord jealous by giving him two pilots. It's not like these sets have rules.

Ramhorn might be my new favorite Titan Master. I want one in orange and purple very badly!

fenrir72 wrote:That Metalhawk fig doesn't do the character justice! :evil: Heck, even the official scratch model kit of the character in Wonderfest 2017 floors this piece of turd by lightyears!!

Legal =/= official. They aren't official, they're simply legal due to the nature of Wonderfest, Comiket, and other such events that allow these to be sold legally for the day (though they can be sold second hand anytime).

Emerje
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861693)
Posted by Kurona on February 21st, 2017 @ 1:44am CST

And, something I've not seen brought up yet... it kind of continues a trend started by ROTF Bludgeon and (to some extent) Generations 2011 Skullgrin. Combining a pretender inner robot with their alt mode and the much more interesting visual elements of their outer shell. It's something I enjoyed quite a bit, and even when it's a simple redeco like this, it works wonders as an update. They weren't exactly going to be able to make a full Pretender shell for him or, alternatively, make him look close to his IDW counterpart; so this is a very, very nice alternative especially when it's of a mold a lot of people considered toy of the year. He's possibly the best thing about these boxsets so far aside from the Primes and Clones.
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861701)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on February 21st, 2017 @ 2:54am CST
Heh. Ramhorn ends up having a far better animal mode than any of his data-sette buddies. And is oddly enough what some friends and I discussed some time ago when complaining that Blaster and Soundwave are far too big as Leader class figures and that their minions would have made more sense in this line as Titan Masters instead of those weird table-like forms they ended up with. They'd be cheaper too. Could sell them in packs of two or three.
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861702)
Posted by RAR on February 21st, 2017 @ 2:59am CST
If Kabaya made a Triggerhappy toy then one could justify repainting it as Metal Hawk and giving it a suitable pretender shell now.

Speaking of Pretenders - how about a concept where there were Pretenders with full mobile arms and legs that interacted with something similar to Titanmasters vehicles or The Micromaster-Targetmaster types ?

Imagine a figure similar to a Masher only with a hollow torso. The only reason I wouldn't suggest headmaster/pretenders is it limits the function of the beast type Pretenders and might look a bit weird to have humanoid faces on a headmaster/titanmaster.

But that diagram posted just above <- shows the idea has some merit perhaps to find a use for those Headmasters - but I guess they are all the wrong size now. But as soon as they made Humanoid Titanmasters It did cross my mind as to the possibility of animal themed ones too.
Re: Titans Return Ramhorn Design Explained (1861706)
Posted by Insurgent on February 21st, 2017 @ 3:34am CST
Kurona wrote:The Metalhawk figure does work for his Masterforce incarnation. Sure, there's a few inaccuracies; but unlike Nautica these actually seem to benefit him by giving him a more interesting visual identity (the cockpit chest, for instance).

This version of metalhawk is purely inner robot based. For what you're talking about with the shell as the robot mode, you need to see the botcon metahawk from a few years ago that used the deluxe thunderwing as the base. Red chest, human face. But I'd be happy to see more if that come up in figures. It was a great idea.

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Steeljaw Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #254 - Redlining Sixth
"Redlining Sixth"
Posted: Sunday, July 5th, 2020

Buy "Transformers POTP Power Of The Primes PP-43 Throne Optimal Optimus Primal MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Camshaft, Bombshell, Ripper Snapper, & Cosmos Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Selects Leader Galactic Man Shockwave 2019 SDCC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Figure  Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Unicron Armada By Hasbro New Sealed HTF" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Piggy coin Bank Large! VERY RARE G1" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro 2009 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Constructicons lot Devastator" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Bumblebee and Doc Greene" on EBAY