Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys

Saturday, March 10th, 2018 8:49AM CST

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 28,242

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys

Remember that scene in the Transformers movie where Unicron transformed? The whole time you just saw a big planet that destroyed other planets ala Death star. But then it Transformed and our notions of the limit to Transformers flew out the window. This was the instance where we all gazed at the wonder of this brand and saw that it was boundless. Since then, there have been many giant Transformers in the fiction and better yet, we eventually got their toys. :michaelbay:

And this is what this list is all about. This is about those awe inspiring towering Transformers from the fiction and their wonderful toys. A quick note, this post was started January 2015. But with Hasbro announcing a yearly Titan class toy, I figured I should wait. Turns out nothing really changed from my initial thoughts of over 3 years ago.

5. Transformers G1 1987 Scorponok (Megazarak)

One of the largest G1 Decepticon toy ever, he pulls off his three modes pretty well despite how simple he is and has loads of fun play features. His robot mode is huge and menacing, his scorpion mode looks very much like a giant mechanical scorpion, with moving legs and ratcheted pincers, and his base mode looks as good as any other base mode of the era with fun ramps for your cars to climb and exit from.

4. Transformers Armada Unicron

It is still crazy to think that we actually got a Unicron toy in the end. Not getting G1 Arcee was nonsensical since it was all about business and not getting any female transformer toys. But we all knew that a Unicron toy was unfeasible on a whole other level. And yet we got one, a HUGE one, and he was quite accurate (though not perfect) with a bunch of action features, a nice beard, and an actual planet mode that had pincers and a mouth. My personal favourite aspect is how they were able to give the planet rings and have them transform into his wings. He is also the most complex toy of his (supreme) size class.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys
Transformers Generations Unicron (25th Anniversary) (Universal Dominator Unicron) Gallery

Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus Gallery

3. Transformers Energon Omega Supreme

I just love everything about this toy. It is an excellent homage to Omega Supreme while also being a totally new take. The transformation is simple, as is the case for many of these bigger bots, and yet feel dynamic. It brings back the element of parts-forming the original had but tones it down. The alt modes which serve double duty as weapon platforms can also fuse together to get you a really long armoured train which looks kinda crazy but in a fun way. Plus you have a headmaster unit which can interact with the two combining alt modes and its modeled after the Omega Supreme G1 Action Master. So this is homaging all interpretations of the past (at the time). While headmasters have come back in a big way since, it was a real treat to see a bot like this back in the day. This mold has also been very successful in different decos with Omega Sentinel and War for Cybertron Omega Supreme (which is still the de facto G1 Omega Supreme for CHUG enthusiasts).

Transformers Energon Omega Supreme Gallery

Transformers Energon Omega Sentinel Gallery

Transformers Platinum Edition Year of the Snake Omega Supreme Gallery

2. Transformers Cybertron Primus

Can you believe it, there is actually a Primus toy out there for any Transformers fan to own! And he doesnt disappoint. He is the best planet former out there with really cool details in that mode (including the city of Iacon and Kaon) and it is pretty incredible to get such a traditional looking robot mode from a spherical alt mode, with much less kibble than Unicron. The transformation is neat and uses the key gimmick well, you really feel you are unlocking the secrets to Cybertron with the Omega Lock. And as a true defender of the Cybertronian race, he is loaded with cannons and missile launchers (definitely puts Titans Return Fortress Maximus to shame in that department). And I cannot get over just how cool the robot detail is with the designers going out of their way to show you that he is made of Cybertron's inner workings. On the shoulders, for instance you can see beams, tubes and vents along with Cybertronian writing. The headsculpt is one of the best conveying hints to both Optimus Prime (with the antenna) and Rodimus (with the V shape crest), which ties into the very first appearance of Primus having callbacks to Rodimus. This toy is one for the ages.

1. Transformers G1 1987 Fortress Maximus

I didn't think a G1 toys would be number one on this list. You would think that after all these years, Hasbro and Takara could outdo themselves with a nice new city transformer but Fort Max is still the undisputed champion of that category. Unlike the other G1 city formers, he is truly massive and also looks like an actual city, or at least the small downtown section of one (he actually reminds me of a level from Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner). Just put him next to Metroplex or Trypticon and they just pale in comparison. Plus, this city transformers into a battle station, filled with an insane amount of weaponry and hidden guns, making him really a fortress. He also comes with smaller bots and fiddly bits which make him as much a playset as a figure. And not just any figure, but a headmaster. And not just any headmaster but a double headmaster. Which means the head of the big city robot transforms into a robot who's head also transforms into a smaller figure. And since an Encore version exists, a complete FortMax is now more a possibility to have than ever before. Also, to those who like to go one step beyond, feel free to substitute this number 1 pick with Grand Maximus.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys

Honourable mentions: Quite a few actually. Even though there are fewer giant Transformers than any other size class, the few that get approved are usually very good. As you can see, none of the Metroplexes are there and that is simply because I do not find that any of them have had a decent alt mode thus far that doesn't just look like them in some odd pose. Tidal Wave is pretty awesome but rather small compared to other bots that are supposed to be giant and while I like Trypticon fine, there was nothing truly mind blowing about him. His base mode has always been, at best, as good as Scorponok's to me. Yet that is his main alt mode, while Scorponok has a whole robot mode and beast mode as well.

Transformers Titans Return Trypticon Gallery

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945265)
Posted by Black Hat on March 10th, 2018 @ 9:48am CST
Good list as always! Nice to see G1 Fort Max at #1, he really is the best. Really exemplifies the "Transforming playset" concept and does it so well.
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945269)
Posted by Randomhero on March 10th, 2018 @ 10:17am CST
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945270)
Posted by BumbleDouche on March 10th, 2018 @ 10:23am CST
lol Where did you find that "Trypticon's Titan Master Crunch" thing?
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945275)
Posted by Sabrewing on March 10th, 2018 @ 10:42am CST
Randomhero wrote:Didn’t Overlord have the title of biggest decepticon till TR trypticon came out?

It's close, but yes. But Overlord is not G1.
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945277)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 10th, 2018 @ 10:46am CST
It's not surprizing to see no TR titans here. They are big, sure, but there's always an issue. TR Fortmax and Metroplex only have a great robot mode with altmodes so lame it's pointless transforming them. Only TR Trypticon could have made the list, but there was indeed better stuff out there.

For once, I have at least one version of ALL the toys on a list. Got my G1 Scorponok a while ago when I sold some Magic cards. That was a great Ebay deal at 405$CAN shipped, 100% complete.

I own Cybertron Primus and the Takara 2010 versions. Cybertron is missing a missile unfortunately while the 2010 one was bought when it came out. 160$CAN shipped. Sure, it was expensive, but compared to today's price...

Armada Unicron is in planet mode using the now extremely rare THRONE OF CHAOS. Man, that thing is awesome. I also got the Amazon Unicron in bot mode that I bought for less than 100$CAN shipped at the time. Not counting all the scrap Unicrons I used for my customs.

As for Omega Supreme, I never owned the original, but I did bought the YOTS version. I bought it at BBTS for 100$US on clearance. That was at the time when 1$US = 1$CAN. Plus, no customs! And recently, I got the Maketoys city upgrade for 20$US as part of a shipping deal. I'm really glad to have that set and the overall city mode look GLORIOUS. Especially for the price I paid compared to what you have to pay right now. My local geek store have a used YOTS Omega Supreme with the Maketoys upgrade for sale and he ask around 400$CAN plus taxes for it!

And finally, I'm very glad that G1 Fortmax is #1. Thanks to the Encore edition I FINALLY have mine. At almost 400$CAN shipped with customs it was expensive as balls, but that's way better than the 2000-ish dollars I would have had to pay otherwise. For me, he's the ultimate giant TF. Glorious and MASSIVE bot mode, plus a city mode that look like an actual city, not a bot sitting down. Plus that diecast and SOLID plastics make for a toy that is very satisfying to handle. Any "serious" TF collectors should consider getting at least the Encore G1 Fortress Maximus. It's still plenty available for a relatively reasonable price.
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945278)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 10th, 2018 @ 10:49am CST
Sabrewing wrote:

It's close, but yes. But Overlord is not G1.

How come it's not G1? It may have never appeard in an American cartoon, but Masterforce and Victory are still part of G1
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945280)
Posted by william-james88 on March 10th, 2018 @ 11:05am CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:
Sabrewing wrote:

It's close, but yes. But Overlord is not G1.

It does not matter guys. In any case, I changed my wording to be more encompassing.
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945281)
Posted by Galactic Prime on March 10th, 2018 @ 11:41am CST
Sabrewing wrote:

[/img]

It's close, but yes. But Overlord is not G1.

Overlord most certainly is G1
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945283)
Posted by Randomhero on March 10th, 2018 @ 12:28pm CST
Galactic Prime wrote:
Sabrewing wrote:

[/img]

It's close, but yes. But Overlord is not G1.

Overlord most certainly is G1

100% G1. The takara trilogy was a continuation. It’s g1
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945284)
Posted by Randomhero on March 10th, 2018 @ 12:32pm CST
william-james88 wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:
Sabrewing wrote:

It's close, but yes. But Overlord is not G1.

Well it does matter. Before you changed it your reason for making him number 5 was “he’s the biggest decepticon.” So it does matter. I mean you edited to change the reasoning for him but you can’t say it doesn’t matter.

Still a great list as usual keep it up!
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945286)
Posted by DeathReviews on March 10th, 2018 @ 12:56pm CST
Titan Master Crunch - Love that Crunch!
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945287)
Posted by Cryhavok on March 10th, 2018 @ 12:57pm CST
Randomhero wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:
Sabrewing wrote:

It's close, but yes. But Overlord is not G1.

Still a great list as usual keep it up!

How you define biggest G1 Decepticon? Sure, Overlord is slightly taller than Scorponok but he is less thick all around and weights less. ;)
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945288)
Posted by transformers_va on March 10th, 2018 @ 1:18pm CST

Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945292)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on March 10th, 2018 @ 2:02pm CST
Not even a mention of supreme cheetor, i dont care what anybody says that toy is still great. He may be simple but both modes are screen accurate and hes a solid figure.
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945296)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 10th, 2018 @ 3:02pm CST
Good list will, and I commend you for your #1 spot with my only nitpick being you forgot to mention forts 2nd repaint Brave ;-) (I know you mentioned grand, I just thought I'd be pedantic :-P) giant transformers are something I've wanted but ultimately found no room for, a shame indeed.
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945300)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on March 10th, 2018 @ 3:16pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

This makes no sense. G1 Fort max looks like he's either laying down, or laying down and about ready to do sit-ups.

I wouldn't have put him at number one, but I would've had G1 Metroplex on this list. His transformations and alternate modes are a lot better than Fort Max's.
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945306)
Posted by shajaki on March 10th, 2018 @ 4:11pm CST
Mine! Starting with Enercon being 5, and Brave being 1.

5) Enercron! Black dead zombie Unicron. So hot right now.
4) Last Knight Cybertron. Those colors just POP!
3) TR/L Trypticon. Sorry Will, I whole heartedly disagree with him being an honorable mention. He is easily the stand-out modern city-former 8-)
2) G1 Scorponok. The only one up here I don't own, but I know greatness when I see it.
1) Car Robots Brave Maximus. Dem colors are just so much better than big brudder Fort.
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945310)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 10th, 2018 @ 4:26pm CST
transformers_va wrote:No mention of G1 Omega Supreme, G1 Metroplex, or Titans Return (Legends) Metroplex?!?! :shock:

G1 Omega Supreme is nice, but it's not a transformer. It's a FREAKING LEGO SET. I'm not against parts-forming, but when a TF is ONLY parts-forming, I draw the line.

G1 Metroplex is indeed nice, but he's so, so tiny.

And even though Gen Metroplex have a rocking bot mode, that altmode is way too sad. Still, I'll never sell mine.
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945315)
Posted by TheForgottenTaxi on March 10th, 2018 @ 5:00pm CST
Not a bad list, but I would take TR Trypticon over any figure on it except Fort Max and maybe Scorponok.

Take Unicron. Yeah, it's cool we got a Unicron. I was thrilled at the time. But it's not a satisfying Unicron -- Too small, crappy planet mode, etc. Whereas I don't think I'll ever need another Trypticon figure. He's not perfect, but he's suitably close.
Re: Top 5 Best Giant Transformers Toys (1945322)
Posted by Ultra Markus on March 10th, 2018 @ 5:55pm CST
i always thought the g1 fortress/grand/brave maximus had the ultimate play-ability factor and has not ever been topped! now heres hoping that with POTPs we get a titan scorponok or omega supreme that will ;)^
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 30 Peterman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 30 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #208 - Everyone Gets Counterpunched
"Everyone Gets Counterpunched"
Posted: Sunday, September 23rd, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon

Buy "MISB Transformers Generations Roadbuster Doubledealer Autobot Decepticon RARE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Reveal the Shield Windcharger Scout Class MISB" on EBAY
Buy "New Sealed MISB Mint in Box Combiner Wars Optimus Prime Transformers Autobot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiners Power Core Stakeout With Protectobots MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise RID Deluxe Class Soundwave MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Automorph Technology Blackout MIB X102" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Leader Class Megatron Tank (for Parts)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Fall of Cybertron BLASTER Mib New Voyager Generations Foc Lot" on EBAY