Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised

Monday, May 6th, 2019 11:43AM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 29,627

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Editor's note: this list has been updated as of 06/05/2019

Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys

While Ironhide has been a staple of the Transformers brand for over 3 decades, his toys have always left fans rather underwhelmed. His initial figure is one of the most unappealing to a Transformers fan (especially a child). For some reason, there was always something off with his toys, be it in the Energon line, the universe line and even some of the movie toys. However, since the initial top 5 list in 2015, there have been 4 lines dedicated to look back on the brand's various aspects and release the best version of the character. So, we can finally have a nice list full of gems and here it is:

5. Transformers Prime: Cyberverse Ironhide

This is fun design, incorporating Ironhide into the Prime line and aesthetic. This design is actually phenomenal since it brings so much together at once. He is a great amalgamation of the G1 and movie look in a more animated aesthetic with the headsculpt and clear chest (G1 cues) working with the pickup truck alt mode and dual cannons (from the Bay films). Also I would like to point out brilliant the transformation is. While the Arms Micron deluxe Ironhide relied on a fake chest, the Cyberverse version actually has the truck's windshield be the robot's chest. It is impressive to see great alt mode integration on a toy which has so much new details in robot mode. Remember when I spoke of an animated aesthetic? This toy's amalgamation (along with the deluxe) also references a shelved design for Animated Ironhide who was supposed to join Optimus Prime on earth and have an earth mode. That is a lot going on for such a little fella.

4. Transformer Studio Series Ironhide

The Studio Series line is providing collectors with some great updated versions of characters from the movies. Yes, there's a Movie Masterpiece line, but it's plagued by every other release having engineering/tolerance issues and only puts out about two toys a year. Studio Series is where it's at, movie toy wise, and this was the best figure from 2018's selection. Taking some of the smarter cues from Dark of the Moon's Deluxe Class figure and refining them while adding new touches in the much more scale-friendly Voyager Class results in an Ironhide toy that is super fun to transform back and forth between modes. When he's a robot, envision how he collapses down onto his own legs and becomes a truck, and you'll end up with a truck. I'm all for following the instructions, and on Masterpiece toys I absolutely recommend it, but this is absolutely a case of intuitive design making them not necessary. If the entire Studio Series lineup were this fun, we'd all be having a blast with movie toys like it's 2007 all over again. - Scotty P

3. Transformers Siege Ironhide

I love this guy. He has the right build, a good headsculpt, a very fluid transformation that gives you a great Cybertronian vehicle, similar to what we have seen in various comic interpretations. The size is good too. This is not the greatest toy ever made but it also feels like some sort of miracle to have a deluxe Ironhide that just ticks all the boxes.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys

2. Transformers Animated Ironhide (Armorhide)

This is a near flawless toy. I find it absolutely brilliant how the cartoon made it that both Ironhide and Ratchet share the same basic mold (which has been the case since 1984) but since Ratchet is now on earth and has an earth vehicle mode, you end up with two visually different characters. The toys do that well. Sure, there is a Ratchet who shares the same mold as this toy but I love how Ironhide makes the mold his own (as he always has). The perfect toon accurate headsculpt really helps. The design of this toy is incredible since it was made after the stylistic cartoon character models were done and it imitates that style perfectly. Also, through this mold, you get one of the most creative designs for a cybertronian vehicle. I love how they were thinking outside the box for this one, giving it almost an animal look (like a tortoise) adding some sentience and otherworldly functionality to the vehicle mode. The weapon storage in vehicle mode is also perfectly executed with simplicity and helps fill out the look of the vehicle. It's a smart design that looks just like the cartoon and has great nods to the G1 character. Sounds like pure win in my book.

1. Transformers Masterpiece Ironhide

Before this guy came out there really hadn't been much love towards G1 Ironhide. But we finally got Ironhide in all his glory in this Masterpiece offering. I seriously do not care what nitpicks any fan may have, this toy is better than anything I could have dreamed. The transformation is one of the best Takara ever designed and it is a true spectacle to see that van shape into this robot before your very eyes. I always thought that to have the look of the show, we would need a fake chest, no way around it. But I am proven wrong. The alt mode integration is spot on, no extraneous kibble (aside from some wheels, though they might anatomically represent something related to the bot mode, up to you) and more accessories than you would ever need. Plus, all those accessories come in that sled, bringing a magnificent homage to the G1 toy (along with other neat homages like that G1 face in can mode). I can't speak highly of this toy enough.

Honourable mentions:

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Recon Ironhide

Oh man, would you look at this thing! It is bad to the bone. While people have a problem with the Ironhide Voyager mold, I never found it that bad. It definitely gave us a more complex toy. I always preferred the versions which hid his arms and this is one of them. The full load of weapons could hide anything, just look at the pictures below. This is Arnold Schwarzenegger's Commando in toy form. Plus, this was the very first toy to integrate the c-clip system where you could clip on new guns to different toys (like clipping Generations Darkmount's guns onto Generations deluxe Warpath).
Plus, his front bumper becomes a crossbow :michaelbay:

Transformers Dark of the Moon Leader Ironhide

I really like this toy. Sure, it is easier than every other movie leader since Revenge of the Fallen, but I am not complaining about being able to go from one beautiful looking truck mode to an amazing looking robot quickly. He is by far the best looking movie Ironhide to have next to any leader Optimus Prime on your movie shelf and he has some great gimmicks. He has two sets of guns that can pop up while in truck mode (and end up being deployable from his robot arms) and some hidden armament in his legs, including a really sweet knife when he likes to get up close and personal. Along with that he has his big leader electronics gimmick (is it normal that I miss those?) where his chest open up to reveal a giant cannon barrel which spins and lights up. While he has some negative points, the only one that bothers me aside from the obvious undercarriage kibble is that the truck sides just bunch up under his robot arms. It isn't the prettiest sight but it does add some much needed bulk. While people can dislike movie figures all they want, I feel nostalgic for nice hefty Transformers Leader figures who had a bunch of fun electronics and sublime detail. I mean think about it, you get fully retractable weapons in both bot and alt mode, a gun and big knife hidden in a leg scabbard ala Robocop, great paint apps for a retail release and a battle mask!

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020655)
Posted by BERSEKAEL on May 6th, 2019 @ 12:16pm CDT
I wish a G1 IronHide and Ratchet Legion Class >:oP
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020678)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on May 6th, 2019 @ 2:15pm CDT

Now, I do need to point out that I would probably fix the wording of the Masterpiece, because we now have the Siege figure, but that's about it.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020679)
Posted by william-james88 on May 6th, 2019 @ 2:23pm CDT
Nathaniel Prime wrote:Nice list, Will! I would put in my personal input but I don't own any Ironhide figures( Does the McDonald's Movie Ironhide count? :lol: )

Thanks, that's done!
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020681)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on May 6th, 2019 @ 2:26pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

Thanks, that's done!

Perfecto! ;)^
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020698)
Posted by Epsilon Delta on May 6th, 2019 @ 4:53pm CDT
It's such a wide range of looks for Ironhide. Great list.

Since we have a lot of different lines dedicated to say G1, or Cybertron forms, or for the Bayformers, I'd like to propose a different type of list one day: "Will's Definitive lineups." You say the best toys that you think come closest to represent the characters. Some lineups could be:

*G1 cartoon- which toys are your show accurate choices
*Cybertron mode- best toys to represent the bots before Earth modes
*Movie verse- We have originals, SS, MPM.
*Best not G1 incarnation- what I mean is Unicron trilogy, animated, Prime. Which is the best toy for the big hitters as a "reboot" of the characters.

Now I know it's a lofty request and would be totally personal sentiment, but would be fun to see.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020702)
Posted by Optimutt on May 6th, 2019 @ 5:11pm CDT
Epsilon Delta wrote:It's such a wide range of looks for Ironhide. Great list.

*G1 cartoon- which toys are your show accurate choices
*Cybertron mode- best toys to represent the bots before Earth modes
*Movie verse- We have originals, SS, MPM.

In a way, we have seen some of these. I'm pretty sure we got an "H" Tank list. But I really like the possibilities expressed in this. William, I'd be happy to put something together for this.

As for this list - what was changed? I wholly agree with each facet of it, and so sadly, I can't contribute much. Except for Number 1. That should CLEARLY be Classics/Henkei Ironhide. :lol:

I haven't bit the bullet to purchase the Siege Ironhide yet, but man, he is really growing on me. If I didn't already have the MP one, I'd have ordered him by now.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020703)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 6th, 2019 @ 5:15pm CDT
I kinda feel like there should now be too Ironhide lists.

One for just Movie Ironhide toys since he has so many toys of his own and many of which are very cool, and one for the other non-Movie Ironhides (G1, Animated, Prime, etc.).
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020704)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on May 6th, 2019 @ 5:22pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:I kinda feel like there should now be too Ironhide lists.

I might understand this for Movie Ironhide, but not for G1. Like Will said, there haven't been much good G1 Ironhide toys, so that might not be possible.

Good suggestion though, as I can see this idea easily for for other toys ;)
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020705)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 6th, 2019 @ 5:24pm CDT
Nathaniel Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:I kinda feel like there should now be too Ironhide lists.

Good suggestion though, as I can see this idea easily for for other toys ;)
That's why I said the other list would be for "non-Movie" Ironhides, not just G1.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020706)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on May 6th, 2019 @ 5:29pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Nathaniel Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:I kinda feel like there should now be too Ironhide lists.

Good suggestion though, as I can see this idea easily for for other toys ;)

Oohh, hehe, I'm sorry for my confusion. I thought you meant "Just G1" ;)

Good idea, but, and this is probably just me, but multiple continuitys without including Bayverse is weird for me. Hope you understand where I'm coming from ;)
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020707)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 6th, 2019 @ 5:33pm CDT
Nathaniel Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Nathaniel Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:I kinda feel like there should now be too Ironhide lists.

Good suggestion though, as I can see this idea easily for for other toys ;)

Oohh, hehe, I'm sorry for my confusion. I thought you meant "Just G1" ;)

Then just make the second list be for Red Ironhides. :P
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020713)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 6th, 2019 @ 6:39pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Nathaniel Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Nathaniel Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:I kinda feel like there should now be too Ironhide lists.

Good suggestion though, as I can see this idea easily for for other toys ;)

Oohh, hehe, I'm sorry for my confusion. I thought you meant "Just G1" ;)

Then just make the second list be for Red Ironhides. :P

But there are still at least 3 red movie Ironhides, and the Animated one is technically orange ;) :lol:
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020721)
Posted by william-james88 on May 6th, 2019 @ 7:04pm CDT
Plus energon Ironhide is green, so I wouldnt be able to include him.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020722)
Posted by Kapiko Prime on May 6th, 2019 @ 7:07pm CDT
Absolutely agree with No.1 choice!
Masterpiece Ironhide is beautifuly designedfigure and even better with Shadow Fisher upgrade parts! Absolutely a must to make Ironhide look as sharp as he can!
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020725)
Posted by MeGrimlockKing2018 on May 6th, 2019 @ 7:20pm CDT
Masterpiece Ironhide > All Ironhide toys there have ever been
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020736)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on May 6th, 2019 @ 8:04pm CDT
MeGrimlockKing2018 wrote:Masterpiece Ironhide > All Ironhide toys there have ever been

That is usually the case with Masterpieces, unless you're talking about...

52491539_817023515310335_5186994099034147334_n.jpg

tenor.gif
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020739)
Posted by Latebrus-K on May 6th, 2019 @ 8:28pm CDT

Y'know, I was about to make a post contesting MP's #1 spot on the list, with his tire-butt and awkwardly tall proportions. Siege all the way, I thought. But then two things happened:
1. Realized the only molds I have experience with on this list are Siege and Animated... and the latter as Ratchet.
2. Looked at MP Ironhide's alt-mode. He has one, and it's not a brick. :lol:

I will, however, forget everything I just learned about hasty judgments to say DotM Leader Ironhide is better than SS. No, I don't own either... but neither seems to have a serious durability issue, and I can tell where the arms are on DotM. He looks more aesthetically pleasing by a mile, with his heroic proportions and multiple colors. I'm sure SS is more screen-accurate and scales better (albeit with other reduced-size, post-2017 figures) but is that a good thing if he's so much uglier? Poor SS has really stumpy arms with a giant body, feet, and head. Guess I'm really just out of the bay movie demographic, but overall coolness has to count for something.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020743)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on May 6th, 2019 @ 9:00pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:Plus energon Ironhide is green, so I wouldnt be able to include him.

First he was blue, then green for a Hound homage. ;) For the record, G1 Ironhide hasn't always been red:

G2 Go-Bot Ironhide

G2 Power Master Ironhide

And that's outside of the Movie homages :lol:
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020761)
Posted by Jeddostotle7 on May 7th, 2019 @ 2:00am CDT
Latebrus-K wrote:

2. Looked at MP Ironhide's alt-mode. He has one, and it's not a brick. :lol:

To be fair, Studio Series Ironhide's arms aren't actually stubby, it's just the shoulders are largely ensconced by the truck front halves, making it look like his arms are shorter than they actually are. He can stilp move them pretty well though, especially if you hinge in the wheel bits hanging down from the truck front halves.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Revised (2020772)
Posted by Latebrus-K on May 7th, 2019 @ 7:32am CDT
Jeddostotle7 wrote:
Latebrus-K wrote:

Thank you for clarifying. Once again, armchair criticism misses the mark. :P

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #225 - The Overexposure of Bumblebee
"The Overexposure of Bumblebee"
Posted: Sunday, June 16th, 2019

Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON BATTLE MASTERS SMASHDOWN FIGUER" on EBAY
Buy "SOUNDWAVE - Siege War For Cybertron - Transformers Voyager Class 2019 - NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Studios Series 5 Inch Figure Deluxe Class - Dropkick #22" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Autobot - Springer - NIB In Hand Ships Fast" on EBAY
Buy "transformers siege war for cybertron Chromia" on EBAY
Buy "transformers siege war for cybertron Prowl" on EBAY
Buy "transformers siege war for cybertron starscream" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Siege Voyager Optimus Prime E3541" on EBAY